AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 1 3.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 9.09%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 18.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 12.12%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 18.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 6.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 12.12%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 3.03%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-06, 08:10   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Gurren-Lagann - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Gurren-Lagann, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any unmarked spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2007-05-06, 13:46   Link #2
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Mouths don't open sideways is what I thought as I watched this episode. The action is much slower-paced, but I think the crazy poofball Ganmen that were fought this episode help to make up for the lack of craziness throughout the rest of the episode. The other highlight was the idea that a combination cannot happen unless it is flashy and over the top (Oh and Boota's tail). Still I could only say this episode was below average compared to the other 3. I just didn't feel it as much this time and the characters certainly didn't look hotblooded as they were attempting to do cool stuff.
Old 2007-05-06, 18:12   Link #3
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Having Too Many Faces Rocks?!

Review and comments for this episode.
Old 2007-05-07, 06:43   Link #4
Lost

Heh, alot of hate for this episode. Well, about the animation difference, it would definitely take time to get used to. For me, while weird, however, I do not think it was all that bad, or that it pulled down the whole episode. I mean, get a grip; it's just alternative artistic expression; and we all knew it was coming (well, those who loitered in the original thread).

However, animation aside, this episode cannot match up to the first three. The reason being, and my complaint about this episode, was the pace with regard to the introduction of the Black Brigade (? I forgot what they called themselves). Basically, it just felt too rush. At this point, with the core characters assembled and being developed, I feel that we don't need side characters like them. Not just side characters, but those that suddenly appear without much focus given to them.

That said, this episode still managed to deliver in humour that I could LOL at - The Lagann"hop," and Boota's sacrifice among them. At times though, I felt as if the humor was also off, as if they were just trying too hard.
Old 2007-05-07, 11:24   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The *STORY* and character exposition was outstanding. The art style change.... it really didn't fit the show. If this had been the style since the beginning, I'd have probably dropped it. Very arty but very lazy looking. This was extra unfortunate since it introduced 4 new characters.
I guess my attitude towards the director was "he may be gold in France but it doesn't really work here" (Jerry Lewis ref) pertaining to the art. Science fiction and fantasy of the 'space opera' vein tends to depend on a variety of art-realism styles for the belief factor (even in live-action, for fantasy the level of visual detail helps to cement the suspension of disbelief).

Overall the series gives me a "Frazetta + RobertEHoward + PotC_swashbuckled_humor" feel still so this episode's art is just a stumble to me. (7/10 ... -2 for the art and animation, would have been a "9" otherwise for story)
Old 2007-05-10, 14:25   Link #6
rocket
Senior and Demented

As I've said before: I had read of the uproar and was prepared for cool artsyness...

But then: Ep4 = teh suck.

My God, if looking like that is high art then Johnny Quest pwns the Louvre and the original Space Ghost can take on all the TMNT’s namesakes.

Gimme a break! A great series gets totally thrown off by some retarded art direction…

GL was supposed to *harken* back to a day when giant robot anime was cheesy, miss-proportioned and done n a shoestring, tap into that raw creative energy, and update it with kick ass modern production values.

Instead we get a pie in the face and a painful reminder that the past does suck.

Boo! Almost makes me stick to Xenoglossia and Gigantic Formula…

THANKFULLY the new eps are back in proper form.
Old 2007-06-21, 02:51   Link #7
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Wow, Hmm... I'm the complete opposite.

This is my favorite ep so far; everything was great except for the weird art. O_o; But the funnies and characters made up for it.

A few points:
- With an exception to the humanoid one that was in episode three, I've really liked the various enemies that have appeared. They're all kooky.

- I liked the laid-back-ness of this episode, up until the end. It's not *all* about action and fighting, but enough of it is to keep you on your toes.

- Poor Boota! No more star butt for him. His moment was so tragic, yet so, so funny.

- Glad they haven't made Yoko useless (yet?). It would be an easy position for her to fall into.

- Still not impressed with any of the characters, though.

- I just need to mention this: the four new characters were riding backwards Moogles! Instead of the red-ball antennae being on their heads, it's on their butts!

Ah, have a bit of a headache now. Streak ends for tonight. See you all tomorrow.
Closed Thread