AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want profile fields for your current and favourite series?
Yes! 17 77.27%
Nope~ 1 4.55%
Don't care 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-06, 01:53   Link #1
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

"Watching" and "Favourites" profile fields

I apologise in advance if this has been suggested previously! I tried to search multiple times, and each time I received only a blank page.

Anyway, a suggestion: Two new profile fields, for series you're watching, and your favourites, respectively. Does this sound plausible to the admins? Nonetheless, I'll add a poll to see how many people agree with this idea.

Thanks for your time!
Sai the Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 03:01   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I like the idea because it means people can move their current and favorites out of their .sigs but I can still check out the recommendations of people with whom I've had good tips on shows in the past.

Positive: the screen text in a thread will be composed mostly of content rather than .sig text.
Negative: more people will probably stick images in their .sig (though that can be turned off by the viewer now anyway).

Basically, I rather like the notion.
Old 2007-03-06, 06:40   Link #3
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Sounds like a reasonable request. Not sure what the other staff think but I would be happy to add it. I believe it is all do-able with simple configuration.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 07:32   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I just wanted to watch this thread to see what others said before I commented, but since NightWish posted his comment, I'll say that I also think it is a great idea. (And easy too!)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 10:00   Link #5
Cyz
"Show it to me"

That's a nice idea. Btw, when I tried putting in stuffs on the watching and favorite section, some of them were cut off. How many can you put anyway?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 10:03   Link #6
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Each field is free-text, so you can enter any number of series. However, it is length limited. I've changed the length limit to 200 ASCII characters. If this still proves too small I'll consider adjusting it.
Old 2007-03-06, 11:04   Link #7
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

So, it's already active then !!

Guess It wouldn't hurt to try and put some favorites animes of mine in there.
Old 2007-03-06, 11:13   Link #8
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

Ahh, that was nice and fast! Thanks for considering my idea~
Old 2007-03-06, 18:26   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't seem to be able to use URL's in these fields. I put Favorites in my sig so I don't have to keep entering the URLs for series I recommend regularly. Even if URLs worked, 200 characters is too small to have many of them. If we're limited to plain text, I guess I'll just dump the URLs and leave the titles in my profile.

I like this idea a lot, though. Thanks, NightWish.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 18:38   Link #10
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I don't think there is an easy way of allowing BB code in the fields. I tested it earlier and couldn't find an obvious option for it... If someone can think of a solution I'll consider it, but I don't think it is going to be practical.
Old 2007-03-06, 19:04   Link #11
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I don't seem to be able to use URL's in these fields. I put Favorites in my sig so I don't have to keep entering the URLs for series I recommend regularly. Even if URLs worked, 200 characters is too small to have many of them. If we're limited to plain text, I guess I'll just dump the URLs and leave the titles in my profile.

I like this idea a lot, though. Thanks, NightWish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
I don't think there is an easy way of allowing BB code in the fields. I tested it earlier and couldn't find an obvious option for it... If someone can think of a solution I'll consider it, but I don't think it is going to be practical.
Would tinyURL.com help?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 19:39   Link #12
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Would tinyURL.com help?
It would help keep the field length down, but that is only important if you could actually use BB code to make the links in the first place. Which you can't. So probably not, no.

An alternative would be to use the URL or codes (show IDs, etc.) on their own, but that really isn't a good idea. It would make the member search page much less useful and the profiles obfuscated and confusing. As it is now (with just the show names) you can find people who share your series interests using the member search, which is kind-a cool as it wasn't very useful before.
Old 2007-03-07, 03:14   Link #13
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

I do know it's possible to parse bbcode by using an "if" condition in the memberinfo_customfields template, but how to actually parse the code has unfortunately slipped my mind. There's, sadly, only so much you can do with the vBulletin demo.
Old 2007-03-07, 22:47   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I just wanted to watch this thread to see what others said before I commented, but since NightWish posted his comment, I'll say that I also think it is a great idea. (And easy too!)
If this was what it was meant to do, then i'm all for it. Well sorta.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote