AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-16, 03:53   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Spoilers & Speculation (for experienced Hyouka readers only)

This thread is for the experienced Hyouka viewer (i.e. those of you who are familiar with potentially all the novels), its purpose is to allow free discussion of theories and speculation over the Hyouka anime series, it therefore will contain unmarked spoilers. If you are a novel virgin of Hyouka, then do not read this thread unless you want to be spoiled (use the Hyouka - Speculation & Theories (for first time viewers) thread instead).

Since posters are expected to be familiar with the novel, there is no real need for spoiler tags, but feel free to include them if you so wish.

Adding a Spoiler tag:
Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous anime episodes. Also remember that this isn't a novel discussion thread, if you do want to discuss the novel then please use the existing Novel Discussion thread.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-16 at 08:53.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:42   Link #2
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Given the titles of the next three episodes, it looks like we'll finish another short story from novel 4 in episode 7 before beginning novel 2 with episode 8. Here are the translated titles:
  • 7 - Revealing the True Form
  • 8 - Let's Watch a Movie Preview!
  • 9 - The Murder in the Abandoned Village of Furuoka
Also, given that the promotional poster for BakaHen promotes the BD volumes for 4-6, we will likely finish this novel by episode 12. (The one for HyoukaHen promoted BD volumes 1-3 and that arc finished at episode 5 with a one-shot for episode 6)

I would assume that the various shorts from novel 4 will be placed to make three big arcs: Hyouka, Baka, and Kudryavka so they can evenly space those arcs amongst the 11 BD volumes. (3, 3, 5). Book 3 is the largest of the first four (Novel 1: 217 pgs, Novel 2: 254 pgs, Novel 3: 393 pgs, Novel 4: 410 pgs) so the additional episodes make sense.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-06-01, 15:01   Link #3
Oblivion

Are these stories with new characters or same ones?
Old 2012-06-12, 10:51   Link #4
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Given the titles of the next three episodes, it looks like we'll finish another short story from novel 4 in episode 7 before beginning novel 2 with episode 8. Here are the translated titles:
  • 7 - Revealing the True Form
Also, given that the promotional poster for BakaHen promotes the BD volumes for 4-6, we will likely finish this novel by episode 12. (The one for HyoukaHen promoted BD volumes 1-3 and that arc finished at episode 5 with a one-shot for episode 6)

I would assume that the various shorts from novel 4 will be placed to make three big arcs: Hyouka, Baka, and Kudryavka so they can evenly space those arcs amongst the 11 BD volumes. (3, 3, 5). Book 3 is the largest of the first four (Novel 1: 217 pgs, Novel 2: 254 pgs, Novel 3: 393 pgs, Novel 4: 410 pgs) so the additional episodes make sense.
The episode titles for episode 10 and 11 have been revealed. It looks like BakaHen would have the following episodes:
  • 10 - The Blind Spot of 10,000 People
  • 11 - The Credits of Fools (novel title)
Episode 11.5 will be aired the following Saturday and then we should get another short story from novel 4 before yet another short story/beginning novel 3.

Old 2012-06-18, 12:39   Link #5
syaokizz

Anyone who has read the novel please give a bit spoilers or hint for the conclusion of volume 2? Argh, it drives me crazy I have an exam and couldn't study..lol need to figure this out somehow.

Please help? :P
Old 2012-06-23, 15:00   Link #6
AC-Phoenix
Detective

I might not be an expierenced Novel reader, but the mystery was finally solvved, and since I got an immediate urge to rant after reading the solution I have to do it here (New chapter is out btw)

While there were indeed enough hints that one could have guessed it (though the ones having guessed it only did so becasue they read the tite of the chapter which would later become the movie title), it still violates a Knox rule, which we were told to follow when the mystery was brought up.
the Knox rule in question is...
Spoiler for reason no one can solve this without knowing the movie title:

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2012-06-24, 16:46   Link #7
Aqua Knight

I am not a novel reader, but can you just answer me with "yes" or "no" or " a little"?

The question is : Is there any romance(not hints, but something more) in the novels that should be anticipated in the anime?
Old 2012-06-26, 19:48   Link #8
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I might not be an expierenced Novel reader, but the mystery was finally solvved, and since I got an immediate urge to rant after reading the solution I have to do it here (New chapter is out btw)

While there were indeed enough hints that one could have guessed it (though the ones having guessed it only did so becasue they read the tite of the chapter which would later become the movie title), it still violates a Knox rule, which we were told to follow when the mystery was brought up.
the Knox rule in question is...
Spoiler for reason no one can solve this without knowing the movie title:
Knox rule is not a definitive guide, and even then it was said that Knox was actually joking when he made it. Heck one of the most well known mystery novel blatantly disregard that same rule you just mentioned
Old 2012-06-27, 07:36   Link #9
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
Knox rule is not a definitive guide, and even then it was said that Knox was actually joking when he made it. Heck one of the most well known mystery novel blatantly disregard that same rule you just mentioned
Agatha Christie for example stretched them but never violates them, you were also never allowedto follow the culpirts thoughts .
We already know that the camera man is not the culpirt btw.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2012-07-26, 19:52   Link #10
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Episode titles/descriptions are out for 15-17 and it looks like novel 3 will finish on episode 17.

15: The "Juumoji" Incident
16: The Final Target
17: The Kudryavka Sequence

A bit surprising that they've ended the last two novels on episodes that feature their names. I'm also somewhat surprised that it only took 6 episodes compared to the 4.5 and 4 episodes for the other novels given the page length discrepancy between the books. Nothing's out for 18-21(22) yet, but we have four more short stories in novel 4 to go and two un-novelized short stories that could fit in. Anything could go in those 4 (or 5) episodes.

Old 2012-07-27, 08:46   Link #11
Marower

I am not a LN reader, but what exactly is the fifth novel? It seems they won't have time to animate it.

Old 2012-07-27, 08:51   Link #12
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marower View Post
I am not a LN reader, but what exactly is the fifth novel? It seems they won't have time to animate it.
The fifth novel involves the four characters we have now moving up a year and a new first year student joining the club and suddenly resigning right before a deadline to stay enrolled in clubs. At the same time, the school is preparing to run its annual marathon.

Personally, I feel that it's unlikely to be animated because of the "moving up a year" part. I don't think ending a series with that aspect and then not doing anything else would work. Also, this project started in 2010, around the time the novel was written, so Takemoto may not have had any plans for it prior to beginning the adaptation. Besides, that would take up the remaining 4/5 episodes, leaving almost half of 4 unadapted.

On the other hand, they did make a special cover illustration for the bunko version of the fifth novel, so there remains the possibility it could be animated.

Old 2012-07-27, 09:17   Link #13
Marower

I guess they would either animate the fifth novel and release OVAs from the fourth. Or perhaps save the fifth novel for a movie, if that's possible.

Old 2012-07-29, 15:44   Link #14
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Episode titles/descriptions are out for 15-17 and it looks like novel 3 will finish on episode 17.

15: The "Juumoji" Incident
16: The Final Target
17: The Kudryavka Sequence

A bit surprising that they've ended the last two novels on episodes that feature their names. I'm also somewhat surprised that it only took 6 episodes compared to the 4.5 and 4 episodes for the other novels given the page length discrepancy between the books. Nothing's out for 18-21(22) yet, but we have four more short stories in novel 4 to go and two un-novelized short stories that could fit in. Anything could go in those 4 (or 5) episodes.
Adding to my speculation for the remaining episodes, BD/DVD volume 9 (episodes 17/18) comes with a print copy of the previous short story that only ran in Wildness Era, Renpou wa Harete iru ka (Do the Mountains have clear weather?). It may be that they animate that short story in episode 18.

Old 2012-07-29, 16:31   Link #15
Dr. Casey

Is Novel 5 the last story, or are there more novels coming up?
Old 2012-07-29, 16:46   Link #16
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Is Novel 5 the last story, or are there more novels coming up?
The Kotenbu series is still "on-going" but it's a very slowly releasing series (yes, even worse than Tanigawa). Next month's issue of Wilderness Era has a short story timed when the characters were in middle school, but that's the first story released since the fifth novel (released in 2010).

It's not ended per say, but I highly doubt there'll be a second season anytime soon. They're even including a short story with a BD/DVD likely because it wasn't going to be put in a collection soon.

Old 2012-07-29, 18:22   Link #17
Dr. Casey

Hmm... is Hyouka a Light Novel or a regular novel? The pace is indeed glacially slow if it's a Light Novel series (Haruhi started to feel like borderline vaporware to me a long time ago, honestly...) but for bonafide novels it's not too bad. It's cool if we don't get a sequel until somewhere around the end of this decade, so long as we eventually get one. And that short story about the group in middle school sounds neat; I wonder how different the four were back then. I could imagine Oreki at the least being a rather different person.
Old 2012-07-29, 18:48   Link #18
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Hmm... is Hyouka a Light Novel or a regular novel? The pace is indeed glacially slow if it's a Light Novel series (Haruhi started to feel like borderline vaporware to me a long time ago, honestly...) but for bonafide novels it's not too bad. It's cool if we don't get a sequel until somewhere around the end of this decade, so long as we eventually get one. And that short story about the group in middle school sounds neat; I wonder how different the four were back then. I could imagine Oreki at the least being a rather different person.
It was originally part of the Sneaker Bunko Mystery label, but that got dropped back in 2002, so it's part of the Kadokawa Bunko label. The other issue is that light novels are commonly released in bunko format, while the last three Kotenbu novels have been released as normal books prior to re-released in bunko from (just like how hardcover books are later released in paperback edition). With that, I'll say that it started out as a possible light novel, but then converted to normal novels. From what I've read, it doesn't fit the normal light novel issues (tons of dialogue with descriptions), so that also agrees with that assumption.

Actually, there's another short story that may be animated involving some time in middle school (Or so I hear. I've been busy with my own light novel, so I've not had time to read it).

Old 2012-08-02, 19:38   Link #19
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Looks like I was right. The final episodes will be from 遠回りする雛 (The Bird That Took a Detour) since KyoAni updated with a new arc visual.

Old 2012-08-04, 15:07   Link #20
Dr. Casey

Does this arc involve New Year's Day? Those look like New Year's Day outfits (New Year's Day 2002, I guess, seeing as Hyouka was written and I think takes place in 2001)...

We're in volume 3 in the anime, right? Does Houtarou change noticeably between now and Volume 5? I like Houtaro a lot and find his character development really interesting, it's fun seeing him gradually change into a happier and more involved person.
Closed Thread