AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-11-14, 20:33   Link #101
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Pretty much everyone in the Nanoha dub are regulars from Voice Acting Alliance, which is a fandubbing community. A friend of mine knows most of them through that site. He even got Cristina Vee (Nanoha) to agree to record a little Yuunoha clip. Too bad it didn't pan out
Old 2010-11-14, 20:34   Link #102
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
I thought the dub voices for the Nanoha cast was decent by dub standards...But better than the Japanese version? lolol

Then again, I'm on the boat that says dub voice actors can't bring the characters to life like that of Japanese seiyuus (FMA and CB are some exceptions). But in this case, we are comparing amateurs (Fate's voice actor especially, which is the first character I think she's officially voiced, ever.) to some of the most renowned seiyuu.

I can't comment on Bardiche, though I can't even recall how the english dub made him sound.
I didn't like Nana Mizuki for Fate in A's. (Didn't bother listening to her in S1)

Sounded too old for a 9 year old.

Jennifer Alyx at least sounded closer to a young girl.

Edit: Nana Mizuki as Fate in StrikerS was spot-on, IMO.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 21:13   Link #103
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

SO LYRICAL PARTY 4 IS HAPPENING SOON, FML FOR NOT BEING THERE.

I've heard some clips of the dub. Cristina is the only one who sounded like she had any emotion in her voice. I just love mai himesama, so no can do with dubbing over Yukarin.

But I don't mind dubs if the acting is actually decent. Too bad a lot of them fall short. If only we had cool voice acting schools like Japan~
Quote:
Then again, I'm on the boat that says dub voice actors can't bring the characters to life like that of Japanese seiyuus (FMA and CB are some exceptions). But in this case, we are comparing amateurs (Fate's voice actor especially, which is the first character I think she's officially voiced, ever.) to some of the most renowned seiyuu.
o jeez, I wrote an opinion essay on subs vs dubs earlier this year, y'know. (ノ´∀`*)

Sorry, I can't bring myself to take anyone seriously about voice acting if you think that Mizuki Nana is a super awesome pro voice actor. inb4 people start taking shots at Yukarin since I'm postin' nau. And it's fun thinking you know what's good or bad acting in a language you don't really know. I used to think Nana was awesome until I realized I just liked her not-animegoe voice. Then I realized her acting was simply average. And then I realized how boring she is when she isn't singing or being teased, uhm~

And lol, the only renowned seiyuu in S1 are Hisakawa Aya and Midorikawa Hikaru. The series aired at the end of 2004, remember? Nana, Yukarin and Kugyuu didn't start getting big in the seiyuu world 'til after. 2006, I'm guessing?

I don't know about the English dubbing over guys' side, but I always find it interesting reading when the Japanese side talks about dubbing over something instead of how they're creating the character entirely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://atemonai.com/blog/kenpro-monthly-push-interview-with-kaida-yuko-part-two/
Q: It looks like you’re busy with both anime voice work and dubbing. Is it true that the atmosphere between both (recording studios) is very different?
A: Yeah there’s a huge difference… even though some might think ‘It’s the same!’. Prior to this I mainly focused on dubbing work and I’d start to get nervous whenever I had to step into an anime recording studio, but it appears I’m starting to get used to it now. For dubbing work, the whole production is already complete from the visuals to the BGMs, so I can just do a straightforward, or maybe more interesting take on the voice-over (atereko*) in Japanese. You have to try and grasp the intentions of the original actor while still trying to put your own twist to it – there’s plenty of ways to go about it and it’s really fun. Anime on the other hand is empty. You build it from scratch, breathe life into it, mould it as you wish – and it’s like a test of your ability, which makes it challenging but really exciting at the same time. Though both (dubbing and anime voice work) are difficult in their own way, they have their own interesting aspects too.
I'll giggle if I've posted that here before.

But zzzz, voice acting isn't srsbsns over here like it is in Japan, where everything is srsbsns. I think I'll stick with my "Japanese live-action acting is as awesome as English dubs" mindset since it's generally true for me.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Bananoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 21:21   Link #104
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananoha
Sorry, I can't bring myself to take anyone seriously about voice acting if you think that Mizuki Nana is a super awesome pro voice actor. inb4 people start taking shots at Yukarin since I'm postin' nau. And it's fun thinking you know what's good or bad acting in a language you don't really know. I used to think Nana was awesome until I realized I just liked her not-animegoe voice. Then I realized her acting was simply average. And then I realized how boring she is when she isn't singing or being teased, uhm~

And lol, the only renowned seiyuu in S1 are Hisakawa Aya and Midorikawa Hikaru. The series aired at the end of 2004, remember? Nana, Yukarin and Kugyuu didn't start getting big in the seiyuu world 'til after. 2006, I'm guessing?
I think she's better than the average actor, and I think she's pretty much the perfect seiyuu for Fate since playing her role doesn't require a wide range of voice talent and it's just how I envision Fate sounding. Far better than any fandubber could portray her. Fortunately, what you 'think' is average or boring holds no more fact than what I think is good and exciting. Try harder. I don't need to know the language to feel the emotion being portrayed in the character.

And it doesn't really matter about the whole 'renowned' aspect. I'd say their voice acting talent isn't much different thn what it was in 2004. The movie is all around pretty similar. They're renowned now, because they were great back then and made something of themselves after they became better known.

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-11-14 at 21:37.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 10:07   Link #105
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

I like Nana as Fate, but my "appreciation" of her isn't solely linked to her performance as Fate... or anyone else.

I just honestly and genuinely think she's very beautiful and I honestly and genuinely love the sound of her singing voice. I don't worship the woman, but she sure does have a hold on me when I see and hear the videos of her on stage.

As far as dub VA's, I think it simply has to do with the feeling that anime is a unique medium and Japanese women have a certain quality in their voices that I have been conditioned to expect. I'm used to Japanese voices and subtitles and anything else just doesn't quite seem right.
Old 2010-11-26, 18:45   Link #106
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

zzz sry, been wondering if I should reply to you two or not because the amount of facepalming is.... not worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananoha View Post
Please remember if you wish to discuss the opening, insert or ending songs, look at the Nanoha Music Discussions thread instead. This thread is meant to focus on the voice actors' ability to act and not their ability to sing. Try to keep discussions about events like concerts to a minimum.
HOWEVER, THIS IS TOTALLY RELEVANT.

http://jouttex.otadesho.com/lyrical-...a-live-nanoha/

I ENJOY YUKANANA AND NANOFATE. Actually, the Shuffle things are my favourite parts about these events. Hearing Nana trying to voice Nanoha was the grossest thing ever. Kugyuu voicing Nanoha was pretty cute, though!

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-12-01, 04:49   Link #107
Gespenst
Real Robot

Quote:
I think she's pretty much the perfect seiyuu for Fate since playing her role doesn't require a wide range of voice talent
Speaking of range: Spot the Nana (cued up to a bit before her character appears)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jA2ysDYt2g&t=5m36s

I was surprised.

It wasn't Chiwa Saito surprising but still...
Gespenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-01, 11:58   Link #108
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespenst View Post
Speaking of range: Spot the Nana (cued up to a bit before her character appears)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jA2ysDYt2g&t=5m36s

I was surprised.

It wasn't Chiwa Saito surprising but still...
Yeah, definitely using a much different voice from her norm...But I don't tend to praise her voice talent too much as it just influences certain people to take more jabs at her.

She still has the most soothingly adorable voice when she wants to use it.

stoic woobie ftw

Last edited by Demi.; 2010-12-01 at 20:46.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-20, 16:24   Link #109
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

o u silly, I never actually say she's a bad voice actor — just horribly overrated. The norm, really. Ironic when I tend to fap to her characters, nyeh.

http://gigazine.net/news/20101219_lyrical_party_4/
WHY IS THIS NOT ON BD/DVD. FFFFFFFFFF. (ノ `Д´)ノ ~┻━┻

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2010-12-30, 16:02   Link #110
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...actress-survey

Well, Nana's #1
Old 2011-05-25, 20:27   Link #111
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

SANKYUU AERS. Ahem, from the PSP game/Compace thing:

http://imgur.com/AF3Uf

Einhart: Noto Mamiko
Touma: Kaji Yuuki

lurkan agenz.

…少し…頭冷やそうか…?
Old 2011-05-25, 20:55   Link #112
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananoha View Post
SANKYUU AERS. Ahem, from the PSP game/Compace thing:

http://imgur.com/AF3Uf

Einhart: Noto Mamiko
Touma: Kaji Yuuki

lurkan agenz.
That's not so...

Wait a second...

Einhart's VA was Suzuka from SRW OG Saga: Endless Frontier?! O_O

I am now imagining Einhart going "Dancy, Dancy Otto... OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!" in battle.

And now all of you are as well.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 22:28   Link #113
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Damn, I had Mamiko pegged for Lily!

Suzuka was very breaking type. Mamiko normally does quieter, Yamato Nadesiko characters. Pretty fitting for Einhart.
Old 2011-05-25, 22:40   Link #114
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
I guess she was brought on board for being able to do both quiet characters and Determinator Action Girls (like Satellizer El Bridget in Freezing).

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 22:43   Link #115
Justin_Brett

Aw man, I got excited when I thought I saw Takashi on Touma's VA's list of roles, but it was just that guy with the energy balls.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 23:23   Link #116
Aaron008R

Mamiko Noto? Well, why didn't I think of that? Well, she is a very good fit with Einhart. Noto can pull off soft-spoken, strong-willed and downright adorable characters without breaking a sweat so no problem here. I certainly wouldn't have minded newbies like Saori Hayami or Aoi Yuuki voicing her, but Noto still takes the cake. :3

I had to look up Touma's VA in wiki to recognize him, though. Sounds like a newcomer in the industry. And I haven't really heard enough of his roles to make any judgment. I didn't pay much attention to characters with little screentime like Takumi from Star Driver and Kou (about to change?) from Hanasaku Iroha after all. This time it's a bit of a disappointment since I wanted Kouki Uchiyama to voice him for even more Gundam comparisons.

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-26, 07:04   Link #117
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Thoma's VA was Ryubei in the SD Gundam Sangokuden anime. He made a good young, idealistic protagonist.