AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-16, 15:04   Link #221
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just finished Edy's Detachment. Best part easily is seeing the few Squad 7 members who are with Edy at the time interact with one another --- plus more lol from Homer and Jann. Kinda rushed and received a B, though seeing the last video and going by the fact that there's multiple endings --- we'll probably hear Edy sing with the highest grade. Will go back to that tonight.

Marina and Lynn are so <3.

Only messed around with Selvaria's DLC so far (mainly to test out her wonderful weapon). No Valkyria mode for the first mission. Saving the best for last i guess.

As for Expert mode. I'll try that out later tonight.

Easily worth £3.19 each.
Old 2009-04-16, 20:55   Link #222
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I only thing I'm interested in with the American DLC Release is whether did Sega bother with Dual Vocing the Characters in the DLC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Just finished Edy's Detachment.
So did Sega put in the effort to include Dual Voice Audio for the DLC ? Or have they resort to being cheap skate in the face of the current economical climate ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 21:25   Link #223
Solecs

Quote:
So did Sega put in the effort to include Dual Voice Audio for the DLC ? Or have they resort to being cheap skate in the face of the current economical climate ?
Looks like it's in dual audio, so you get both English and Japanese language tracks. Although the subtitles are the same in both, like the rest of the game, so some of subs don't exactly match what they're saying in Japanese.

Went through Edy's Detachment with a B rank, going for A rank now. I'll probably try Selvaria's missions and the Expert skirmishes over the weekend.
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 22:12   Link #224
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Not that this really matters to me since I won't be able to play this for a month, but how many turns was garnering you a B rank?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 22:24   Link #225
Solecs

I got a B rank using 6 turns and an A rank with 4 turns. Don't know what 5 turns gets you since I just went from 6 to 4.

Also, just as a tease, the A rank ending was kind of epic, lol. At least I thought so .
Old 2009-04-16, 23:00   Link #226
Runty

Saw part of a playthrough of "Enter the Edy Detachment".

I'm still laughing at Marina's closet love of puppies.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 07:28   Link #227
JagdPanther

Hmm. 4 turns for an A.

How many CP per turn?

(I won't lie; I religiously used the strategy guide for my first playthrough, so being without it for the DLC will be a new experience for me)

Old 2009-04-17, 07:46   Link #228
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Hmm. 4 turns for an A.

How many CP per turn?

(I won't lie; I religiously used the strategy guide for my first playthrough, so being without it for the DLC will be a new experience for me)
Just don't be afraid to lose a couple times to know what you're up against. Save often, and don't be afraid to restart to set up things differently.

I haven't finished Edy's Detachment yet, but I may try to finish in precisely five rounds so that we know what the limitation is.

And if I remember correctly, it's 7CP/turn. (I'm not with my game right now, someone may have to correct me)
Old 2009-04-17, 08:08   Link #229
JagdPanther

LOL Don't worry. I save religiously after pretty much every action. In any given map I use between 3-5 save slots to give me multiple options of what points to which to return.

Old 2009-04-17, 08:41   Link #230
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Hmm. 4 turns for an A.

How many CP per turn?

My first time through I got A in every mission but the first mission with Squad 7 (forget the name) Battle at Naggiar (2) and Breaking the Blockade.

However like you I had a lot of save files in action, I think last count I have ten save files. One for Book Mode before a mission/skirmish, one for the absolute start of the mission/skirmish and eight to spread around for pretty much every CP/action of a turn.

So if the next turn I was in a predicament I would go back and rethink. Pretty much cheating I say but it was always great when the first time you'd attempt a mission you could get the A Rank without loading a save but those were far and few between!

But I found the game always came back to just stopping and always thinking two moves ahead and anticipating the enemy's response. There's always a way to get the A rank, you just have to be quick.

Man, I really want to play VC but we've got a girl staying with us for a few months and the guest's room is right next to the games room. I go to work all day, come home, do some more work around the farm, exercise and after all that I can get maybe forty minutes in max before I have to stop so she can go to bed.

That or she'll have some crappy music blaring from her phone that's like finger nails running down a chalkboard even with her door closed.

Argh, I'm just venting... Still working on getting my PS3 online properly. Have to pick up a new router when the internet changes over next month.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 09:23   Link #231
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Personally, I've always found that the biggest flaw in Valkyria Chronicles.

For a tactical RPG, you'd expect the things to matter towards your score being 'how many enemies did you kill?' 'how many targets were off importance?' 'did you kill any tanks?' 'did you lose any men?' 'did you lose any tanks?' 'how many points did you capture?'

Instead, all that matters in 90% of the missions is how fast you can dash towards the final point. Most often the way to do that is the ignore everything mentioned above...

It's a flaw that irked me. If I decide to methodically move forward and eliminate any hostiles, secure any points to prevent their retreat, eliminate their leaders and avoid any casualties, I'm apparently doing a bad job compared to someone who just rushes past every enemy and captures the final point.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 09:35   Link #232
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Personally, I've always found that the biggest flaw in Valkyria Chronicles.

For a tactical RPG, you'd expect the things to matter towards your score being 'how many enemies did you kill?' 'how many targets were off importance?' 'did you kill any tanks?' 'did you lose any men?' 'did you lose any tanks?' 'how many points did you capture?'

Instead, all that matters in 90% of the missions is how fast you can dash towards the final point. Most often the way to do that is the ignore everything mentioned above...

It's a flaw that irked me. If I decide to methodically move forward and eliminate any hostiles, secure any points to prevent their retreat, eliminate their leaders and avoid any casualties, I'm apparently doing a bad job compared to someone who just rushes past every enemy and captures the final point.
I agree with you totally. My second playthrough is being myself and doing it the way I want to rather than the way that I had to to get A's in missions.

I also didn't like how the easiest way to get an A in some missions is to solo it with Alicia. I know she's badass as all hell, but even the truly badass need backup and support.
Old 2009-04-17, 09:39   Link #233
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:

Chill. For a new franchise, the presentation is slick enough. So I'll forgive the crew slacking upon the game's ranking mechanism.

In case you didn't notice, the DLCs has improved upon the flaws in the right direction in which certain stages and events are unlocked only after various conditions are met. So I'm sure by the next game, the fundamental flaws will have been fixed.

Personally, I'm hoping to see the story branches out in different directions based on the various tactical decisions made like the DLCs.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 11:37   Link #234
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm chill. I love the game and could easily play past the flaw I pointed out. But that won't stop me from pointing out flaws. If we don't point them out, they won't be fixed. After all, the very fact the DLC improves on this (Didn't know about this, as I haven't downloaded nor played the DLC yet) shows that others have pointed this out as well.

And yes, story branches dependent on decisions you make in the game would be a great feature to see.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 11:40   Link #235
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Personally, I'm hoping to see the story branches out in different directions based on the various tactical decisions made like the DLCs.
Quote:
And yes, story branches dependent on decisions you make in the game would be a great feature to see.
...Pardon me, I have to go clean up drool.

Valkyria Chronicles is an awesome game. There are always ways to get better, and if Sega can improve on the formula that made VC so damn fun, then they'll have a happy repeat customer in me.
Old 2009-04-17, 11:42   Link #236
JagdPanther

The strategy guide usually has you hit all of the targets of importance on the way to an A rank. For only a few missions do you have to give up a tank or a leader, and usually you were instructed to hit most along the way, anyway. Off the top of my head retaking the center of Bruhl is the only mission where in order to get an A rank you had to forgo eliminating more than 1 leader.

Old 2009-04-17, 15:43   Link #237
Solecs

In addition to the previous critiques, I'd also like for them to revamp the cover system. So that you can take cover behind other things other than sand bags, like benches, trees, etc and you can squat or go prone anywhere for accuracy bonuses. Also if they could re-do it so that you only get the defense bonuses when being attacked from the covered side, since you're not exactly being covered if the enemy sneaks up from behind .

As far as the ranking system goes, yeah it's a bit shallow. My first play through I just did it how I wanted to and the second play through I went for A ranks. I think for my next playthrough I'll try to take out all the enemies. I think I missed out on some of the aces on my first few play throughs since I haven't gotten all the medals yet .
Old 2009-04-17, 16:20   Link #238
kujoe
from head to heel

Branching story paths sound good to me too. I remember Front Mission 3, where one decision can drastically affect the story in huge ways. Playable characters plot points and missions would change... character deaths and so on.

The thought of a Valkyria Chronicles game having such a sense of scale would be wonderful to play through.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 16:38   Link #239
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
In addition to the previous critiques, I'd also like for them to revamp the cover system. So that you can take cover behind other things other than sand bags, like benches, trees, etc and you can squat or go prone anywhere for accuracy bonuses. Also if they could re-do it so that you only get the defense bonuses when being attacked from the covered side, since you're not exactly being covered if the enemy sneaks up from behind .

As far as the ranking system goes, yeah it's a bit shallow. My first play through I just did it how I wanted to and the second play through I went for A ranks. I think for my next playthrough I'll try to take out all the enemies. I think I missed out on some of the aces on my first few play throughs since I haven't gotten all the medals yet .
Maybe they'll do all that in VC2, whenever SEGA decides to make one. They'd better, in any case...
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 19:18   Link #240
Solecs

Screenshot info for shcfyd question in the Anime thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcfyd View Post
also, does anyone know of a method to take screens on the PS3? i'd like to make some game/anime comparisons, but mostly for kicks and giggles
Some games have that kind of functionality built in, although I don't believe VC has it. The only other way I know of to take screenshots (or video for that matter) is to run your PS3 through a PC capture card. Most of the affordable ones only take composite or s-video input though, so no HD unless you spring for the really nice ones that run a few hundred dollars generally.

There is of course the tried and true method of just setting up a camera in front of your TV/Monitor/what have you .