Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-07-20, 18:54   Link #21
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
But like Kyuu pointed out, just look at his mugshot. After someone does a horrible set of crimes like this and then has that very happy look like that in their mugshot, one can't help but feel sentiments like "Let's kill that loser ASAP".
I'm pretty sure that's not his mugshot, as he dyed his hair red before the shooting, and it certainly isn't red in that photo.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-07-20 at 19:07. Reason: Chill out, please!
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 18:54   Link #22
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
if we're taking cultural meme choice as the basis of sanity.
I failed to understand that last sentence :/
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 18:58   Link #23
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

He is truly delusional. All insane people are delusional, but there are plenty of sane criminals who are delusional, too. I think this guy is sane. He was on his way to a Ph.D. He was sane, delusional, and evil.

I know that the studies of criminal psychology are important and not to be ignored. I understand that we can break things down and find reasons and motives as to why this guy did what he did, no matter how unjustified those motives are. But I don't want him to go to some asylum. It is a mockery of people who truly do have mental illnesses. This guy is very smart person with a college degree going for a Ph.D. He knew what he was doing and he knew what he was doing was wrong. He needs to pay for what he has done. He isn't like Jared Lee Loughner (the criminal of the Gabriel Giffords incident). Now that guy seems mentally ill.

Obviously James Holmes isn't right in the head. But I don't think he should go to an asylum. We'll see what the experts decide, but right now, it seems like he needs to be prosecuted as a typical criminal and not go to an asylum.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:02   Link #24
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post
I'm kind of disappointed that they found out- it would have made this a hell of a lot more interesting.
Dear god, you're kidding right?
Old 2012-07-20, 19:05   Link #25
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Harvard Injury Control Research Center: Homicide
http://ht.ly/cofr3
A link to the actuals reserchs would had been a good idea; to see the actual numbers usualy help credibility.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:09   Link #26
kyp275
Meh

[QUOTE=Tammuz;4264563]He had, apparently, also had his house and vehicle rigged with explosives, a little gift for investigating officers. I'm kind of disappointed that they found out- it would have made this a hell of a lot more interesting.

FYI, Holmes told them.

Also, interesting? If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I'd say you deserve to be the one who gets to make the "interesting" discovery, in person.

Quote:
Aha, this is hilarious. Apparently, this guy was armed and armored, so much so that when responding officers and SWAT arrived, they mistook him for one of them XD I was laughing so hard.
Yea, I call BS. Mall-ninja tactic-cool gear is pretty obvious to anyone who knows their stuff.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:09   Link #27
Tammuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Dear god, you're kidding right?
Oh, but of course. Who could possibly look upon this tragedy and feel anything other than contempt for this obviously defective human being?

We humans are, after all, far above this. So, yeah, ya'll continue on attributing it to mental illness (despite his being on his way to a Ph.D- which does not by any means exclude mental illness, in the sense of personality disorders, but pretty much throws any arguments of insanity out the door- I would know, I'm a Psychology Student :3), or to the violence depicted in Western comics. Or let the police find a Manga or Anime DVD at his house and point the blame to our little niche of the entertainment woods. Or let the media have their way with portraying this as some religious or political statement.

Hurry up and point those fingers people.

Now, I'm going to go mourn for those poor people and shout curses at this defective human, so far set apart from the rest of us
Tammuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 19:12   Link #28
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I've calmed down some over this incident now. I'm still angry about what he did, though, and he deserves all the suffering he gets as a result of his actions. Karma, you reap what you sow, all that jazz.

Quote:
It's quite simple, really- he was just twisted. So, yes, the blame rests solely on his shoulders. Though, if you ask me, I doubt he'll lose much sleep over it. Well, not from guilt. He has a frail looking body, so I'd imagine he'd be well received in prison- in which case, his sleepless nights would be for a completely different reason.
He'll probably be locked up by himself and they will keep him away from other prisoners for his safety. They wouldn't let him be around other prisoners for his safety, I believe. I know they do that with some people in jail. If they do let him be around other prisoners and he gets beaten badly or killed, then...oh well. Most people aren't going to feel bad about that.

Quote:

Yes, because humans are above such brutality, right?
Very many people are above any such things, and the vast majority of people are above crimes as severe as the ones James Holmes committed that night.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:12   Link #29
Tammuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Holmes told them.

Also, interesting? If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I'd say you deserve to be the one who gets to make the "interesting" discovery, in person.

Yea, I call BS. Mall-ninja tactic-cool gear is pretty obvious to anyone who knows their stuff.
So I've heard. Trying to figure out why he'd do that.

I'd rather take a far-removed, authorial perspective of the events, thank you though.

Then, the officers must not have known their stuff, because the News reported that an Officer told them this. Then again, it was, well, the news.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:13   Link #30
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Whoever said that society was civilized?
depends on how one define civilized.

lynch mob and vigilante justice however is certainly not part of one.

Quote:
So I've heard. Trying to figure out why he'd do that.

I'd rather take a far-removed, authorial perspective of the events, thank you though.

Then, the officers must not have known their stuff, because the News reported that an Officer told them this. Then again, it was, well, the news.
fair enough. On the whole mistaken ID thing, I'd say it's almost 100% certain that it's a misquote or that the news was making crap up, neither of which would be a surprise.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:16   Link #31
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Geez, I hear this comments and seems to me people have heard but not fealt the words of Gandhi when he said "'An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind". _-_
Old 2012-07-20, 19:17   Link #32
Tammuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Geez, I hear this comments and seems to me people have heard but not fealt the words of Gandhi when he said "'An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind". _-_
Human nature is not going to change it's ways due to the musings of one man, my friend. Sorry. Now, if everyone had as gentle a soul as Gandhi... Well, "what-if's" aren't going to do us anything here, now are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Fair enough. On the whole mistaken ID thing, I'd say it's almost 100% certain that it's a misquote or that the news was making crap up, neither of which would be a surprise.
Now that the initial excitement has calmed down and I can think about it, your probably right. I would like to think that the law enforcement officials are not that inept.

Also, I find it hilarious that some of the posters here are suggesting clear torture as "punishment".

Civil indeed.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:32   Link #33
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Yeah, that quote is a great quote. I got rather angry when I heard about this story, but I've calmed down. When I was saying we should just kill him ASAP, truth is I didn't stand behind that 100% or even close to 100%.

But sometimes with some people, it is just nice to spout some angry words. I mean, how can you not be upset with this guy and what he did? Let's break it down some - we don't know the half of it about how badly some people are suffering due to his evil crimes. We don't know anywhere near the half of it. Some people lost their lives, some more are likely to die from their injuries, many are injured, and then many family members and friends of the deceased and injured victims and traumatized victims, and those (living) victims themselves will continue to suffer very much in the near future and then many of them will suffer very much beyond that and even years from now. Then on top of that, millions of people not directly affected by this are still being negatively affected by this.

So who can blame people for saying angry words about this guy or saying terrible things about this guy? People want him to pay. People want justice. Compassion and forgiveness, which extend from love - these things are so important. Love and compassion are the greatest things of all. But in this world we live in, there is a need for justice for horrible crimes. So yeah, bring this guy to trial, sentence him, and - he'll probably get the death penalty - so, let him face the death penalty.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:39   Link #34
Tammuz

Quote:
Yeah, that quote is a great quote. I got rather angry when I heard about this story, but I've calmed down. When I was saying we should just kill him ASAP, truth is I didn't stand behind that 100% or even close to 100%.
You just keep backtracking there

Quote:
So who can blame people for saying angry words about this guy or terrible things about this guy?
Oh, I believe I can
Old 2012-07-20, 19:43   Link #35
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
But sometimes with some people, it is just nice to spout some angry words. I mean, how can you not be upset with this guy and what he did?
If you are the kind the person that "loses his strenght thru his mouth" (<--- maybe the translation isn't quite right, it means that after voicing your anger you regain your senses) it is ok, but for some people emotions are like coins, they pill up until they overflow. That is what I like the most about Naruto, it shows us a world where vengance rules the lives of entire villages to the point no one can find a way out the misery that vicious circle creates.

I do believe than sane or insane he PRACTICED for that mugshot, think about it, he killed a few people, but with that mugshot he can make MILLIONS feel miserable.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:44   Link #36
kyp275
Meh

Quote:

But sometimes with some people, it is just nice to spout some angry words. I mean, how can you not be upset with this guy and what he did? Let's break it down some - we don't know the half of it about how badly some people are suffering due to his evil crimes. We don't know anywhere near the half of it. Some people lost their lives, some more are likely to die from their injuries, many are injured, and then many family members and friends of the deceased and injured victims and traumatized victims, and those (living) victims themselves will continue to suffer very much in the near future and then many of them will suffer very much beyond that and even years from now. Then on top of that, millions of people not directly affected by this are still being negatively affected by this.

So who can blame people for saying angry words about this guy or saying terrible things about this guy? People want him to pay. People want justice. Compassion and forgiveness, which extend from love - these things are so important. Love and compassion are the greatest things of all. But in this world we live in, there is a need for justice for horrible crimes. So yeah, bring this guy to trial, sentence him, and - he'll probably get the death penalty - so, let him face the death penalty.
Indeed. If it were up to me, I'd just rather just dispense with a round of ammunition and be done with it. For me, people who so recklessly exhibit such a blatant disregard for innocent lives have all but forfeit their right to their own.

But it's not up to me, and ultimately he deserves to have his day in court just like everyone else, and have his fate be determined there.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:48   Link #37
Tammuz

This is just great.

Guy commits "atrocity", and people all rush to deem him mad- first and foremost, that would be their goal. They'd want to separate themselves from him.

But that isn't enough, you need something to blame it off on. Human nature is too good for this- even a madman would have better sense about him, so he must have been influenced by external factors. Naturally, the Batman series, and comic books in general- upon their shoulder's shall the blame of the people fall. Which is, in itself, ironically comical, as I'd wager that the vast majority of the movie goers at the time were quite avid fans of the series- I mean, for Christsake, would YOU go to a midnight special screening for something you didn't like?

But what is best- what is BEST about this is how the people on the internet, behind their shrouds of anonymity, people raise high their pitchforks and torches for the man.

And do you wanna know what they want?

The exact same damn thing that he wanted.

Blood.

Hilarious! Really, just hilarious XD Please, continue. I'm about to go take a nap, as I've had a rather long day. I expect to see more of you people rallying around, thirsty for blood, upon my return. Until then, take care everyone ^^
Old 2012-07-20, 19:53   Link #38
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
If you are the kind the person that "loses his strenght thru his mouth" (<--- maybe the translation isn't quite right, it means that after voicing your anger you regain your senses) it is ok, but for some people emotions are like coins, they pill up until they overflow. That is what I like the most about Naruto, it shows us a world where vengance rules the lives of entire villages to the point no one can find a way out the misery that vicious circle creates.
I do this when I hear about a news story about a terrible injustice. I will say some things out of emotion, but then after a cool down period, I'm back to normal and stand concretely behind my true values once again. I just get so frustrated with some people. Things which make me angry with people come down to acts of violence and bloodshed, senseless hate, and bigotry.

Quote:
I do believe than sane or insane he PRACTICED for that mugshot, think about it, he killed a few people, but with that mugshot he can make MILLIONS feel miserable.
kyp275 makes a good point and that that is probably not his mugshot. News agencies report he dyed his hair red and it was red when he was arrested but his hair isn't red in that picture.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:55   Link #39
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
He is truly delusional. All insane people are delusional, but there are plenty of sane criminals who are delusional, too. I think this guy is sane. He was on his way to a Ph.D. He was sane, delusional, and evil.
He had enrolled last June and was in the process of withdrawing from the program. The reason why wasn't stated.

Quote:
He had, apparently, also had his house and vehicle rigged with explosives, a little gift for investigating officers. I'm kind of disappointed that they found out- it would have made this a hell of a lot more interesting.
People already called you on this comment, but that's a pretty warped thing to say. People's injuries and deaths on the news are a source of amusement to you?

Quote:
Now, if everyone had as gentle a soul as Gandhi...
Then things like this wouldn't happen.

Quote:
But what is best- what is BEST about this is how the people on the internet, behind their shrouds of anonymity, people raise high their pitchforks and torches for the man.

Blood.
No, they don't want blood. They want justice. I'm not sure why this distinction isn't clear to you.
Old 2012-07-20, 19:56   Link #40
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
This is just great.

Guy commits "atrocity", and people all rush to deem him mad- first and foremost, that would be their goal. They'd want to separate themselves from him.

But that isn't enough, you need something to blame it off on. Human nature is too good for this- even a madman would have better sense about him, so he must have been influenced by external factors. Naturally, the Batman series, and comic books in general- upon their shoulder's shall the blame of the people fall. Which is, in itself, ironically comical, as I'd wager that the vast majority of the movie goers at the time were quite avid fans of the series- I mean, for Christsake, would YOU go to a midnight special screening for something you didn't like?

Blood.

Hilarious! Really, just hilarious XD Please, continue. I'm about to go take a nap, as I've had a rather long day. I expect to see more of you people rallying around, thirsty for blood, upon my return. Until then, take care everyone ^^
/shrug, I couldn't care less about his motivations, as long as he's not actually medically insane.

Like I said above, IMO people like Holmes who brazenly takes the life of innocents forfeit the right to their own life. I certainly have no qualms about my view, internet or not. If I was at that theater, I would've put that dog down myself.