AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-02-24, 19:15   Link #1001
Matt122005

Well, unless Baka-Tsuki starts massively translating the novels, they'd better come out with a second season and fast. I hate it when a series that is around 50 episodes novel wise is cut up into 12 episode segmants. I mean, I want to keep watching Horo! lol

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 20:54   Link #1002
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
But what do you think about the possiblilty for a second season? Likely, yes?
I think we'll have a better idea in April after the first DVD goes on sale. It's not an absolute rule, but conventional wisdom says that sequels are typically driven by good DVD sales (since an anime's fiscal success is driven almost entirely by merchandise sales). If the anime sells well (along with the PS2 game that's tied to it), then I think a sequel will be virtually assured.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 21:08   Link #1003
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah it'd be great.... but the purpose of most anime is to get you to buy the merchandise (novels, etc). Given the types of series that won't seem to go away (O.o), it'd be nice to see a series I find interesting get some extended love as long as there's source material.

I wouldn't really like to see "anime-only" written episodes, they rarely go well.... but S&W has a lot of existing material to work with.
Old 2008-02-29, 00:09   Link #1004
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Incidentally, speaking of all this talk of anime-only episodes, from the rumour file, Moonphase is now reporting that episode 12 will be the last episode in the TV broadcast, even though the DVDs have already confirmed that the show will have 13 episodes in all. So, if that pans out, that would mean that the show would have two bonus episodes; one in the middle of the series, on the third disc, and a second at the very end on the sixth disc. Personally, I'm not totally convinced of the rumour, but it is possible. I guess we'll wait and see...
Old 2008-02-29, 01:43   Link #1005
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A lot of series seem to have that "did they mean 12 or 13 episodes?" ambiguities.
Old 2008-03-06, 23:52   Link #1006
Blanchimont

Spice and Wolf is so far one of my favorite shows^^, right alongside Clannad and Shana, so hopefully there's enough material for a next season, or more...

Episode counts of 12/13, 24/26 39,52 have to do with the obvious airing seasons, just in case someone managed to miss that fact. The 'missing' episodes in "12/24" almost always mean something like an OVA/Special/DVD-only extras...Perhaps most notable of this is the Onegai Twins/Teacher, and others like Kodomo no Jikan, School Days, while the full "thirteen" usually lacks specials...
For obvious reasons, it's the episodes with 'racy' content that have a tendency to turn into OVA/DVD-only...though not sure that was the reason with the '7th'...
Of course, sometimes the rule is broken, like with KGNE or Haruhi, where the odd-looking episode count makes sense if you add an 'extra' episode to the end of a full season. But there's a reason it looks odd; you rarely see a series of that length...not to mention it makes rather hard to get timeslots for all 14...

A curious trivia concerning the Ayako-subs of this show unless you've already read it somewhere?(I tried searching...). They also include japanese subs; you just have to extract the subs to view them(or read them if you have that rare skill..).
Blanchimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 22:14   Link #1007
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Incidentally, just as an update to the above rumour about "12/13 episodes", it's been confirmed at 13, as was initially expected. Moonphase likely copied the information wrong when they indicated episode 12 would be the last episode. So it was indeed a false rumour, as suspected.
Old 2008-03-12, 22:55   Link #1008
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Incidentally, just as an update to the above rumour about "12/13 episodes", it's been confirmed at 13, as was initially expected. Moonphase likely copied the information wrong when they indicated episode 12 would be the last episode. So it was indeed a false rumour, as suspected.
That's a good thing to hear. At least time to finish the current situation well. That and with 13 episodes at least gives a few more to enjoy before its over.
Old 2008-03-15, 12:20   Link #1009
w00tness
zetsuboushita...

Spice and Wolf isnt as nice as I once thought it to be.. at least to me. I just finished episode 10, and... I dont know, im just watching it for the cuteness of Horo now.
w00tness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 09:22   Link #1010
xris
Just call me Ojisan

While Spice and Wolf has not yet been licensed we have received a C&D from Kadokawa Pictures USA, we therefore won't be listing fansubs of this series here on AnimeSuki anymore.

Please note that Kadokawa are acting on the behalf of the Japanese IP owners, Kadokawa Pictures USA themselves do not license such series but act as a master licensor, a middle-man who sells on the license to (typically) American anime companies.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 12:05   Link #1011
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

God fucking damn it, if this gets licensed I will be pissed. American companies love to shit all over the original dub with crappy English-speaking voiceactors. There's only been a few notable exceptions.

Here's to hoping Wolf and Spice never gets licensed. And if it does, pray that the publishing company that gets the rights is too damn poor to pay for a dub and just releases it with subs. Doubt their subs will be better than what we've got already, though.

Seriously, Horo is not Horo without her unique voice. I don't think there's a single currently-employed English-speaking female voiceactor that could come close to matching Ami Koshimizu's talent.
Old 2008-06-11, 12:51   Link #1012
LKK

Sorry, but I absolutely have to disagree with you. An American license is the only way I'm going to have DVDs. I won't buy R2 DVDs for several reasons (1) the low episode count per disk, (2) the shipping fees from Japan to the US, (3) my DVD player doesn't play R2 disks, only R0 or R1 coded disks. I want S&W on DVD in order to play it on my home entertainment system. The fake DVDs I created for myself from the fansubs to use at home don't hold a candle in terms of sound or image quality to commercially produced DVDs. As for a subbed R1 versus a dubbed R1 release, I would prefer a dubbed release. While I will watch S&W in the original Japanese with subtitles, my husband, whose eyesight is too poor to follow a show that's subbed only, can only watch dubbed anime. I want to introduce him to the beauty that is S&W. The only way I can do this is with a commercially dubbed release. An American license with an English dub track would be extremely good news to hear.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 12:59   Link #1013
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Let's not get into the dub/sub debate, and question the virtue of licenses in this thread. Suffice it to say, a license would be a good thing for all who want to own the show, and if you don't like the dub you can just turn it off. It's the same thing anytime this tripe gets posted.

Let's please stay on topic and talk about the show itself.
Old 2008-06-11, 17:19   Link #1014
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
The sub/dub thing aside, I'd be happy to get the series sent over to NA. Would be nice to have the series. Could import it, but then it really wouldn't be used since I barely understand what's being said. Besides no matter how you want to watch it, can help support the series and hopefully get sales good enough to warrant a second season.

At this point I'm with anything that can get us more Spice and Wolf anime. Sad to think its all over now that the DVD only episode has come out. Really didn't expect it to be as fun of a series as it ending up being. Goes to show that watching a ton of newly released anime is worth it .
Old 2008-07-05, 21:49   Link #1015
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Exclamation

Anime News Network has posted this tonight:

Quote:
Rental Magica, Spice and Wolf, Junjou Romantica, more confirmed for U.S. release; no distributor named yet

At their panel, the industry representatives from Kadokawa USA announced that their company now holds the North American licenses to the anime series Junjou Romantica, Spice and Wolf, Rental Magica, My Heartfelt Sympathy, Ninomiya-kun, H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~, and Coo ~ Our Guardian. Last month, Kadokawa USA requested that the AnimeSuki.com website remove links to the illegal fansubs of five of these series, along with six others.
Generally, Kadokawa USA does not actually distribute anime in North America directly, but partners with other, more established companies. No specific distributor for any of the six series has been named yet.
Licensed, yes?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2008-07-05 at 22:00.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 01:26   Link #1016
Lord Ryo
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Lord Ryo
Oh yeah! >_< I just hope that Bandai Entertainment snatches it up! Even if the dub gets butchered I can always watch it in its original Japanese language, but in my opinion Bandai has the best dubs and I would LOVE to watch Spice and Wolf in English. Plus I think they package their products beautifully, which is very important when buying anime. I also hope they give us a cool starter box or limited editions with collector’s items, I eat that stuff up and I'd eat it up even faster if it had Horo on it! ^^
Lord Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 02:23   Link #1017
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

FMA was done by Funimation, and it is my ALL TIME Favorite dubbed anime. I tend to dislike dubs because the voices are so....just wrong. It's like the VA have no real motivation to "be the character' or something like that.

But seriously, FMA was king of the dubs. The only real show I'll watched dubbed, apart from Ah! My Goddess, and...nah, that's really about it =)
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 03:06   Link #1018
Lord Ryo
Noblesse Oblige

Send a message via AIM to Lord Ryo
Erementar Gerad had a flawless dub but I would never want Geneon to pick up Spice and Wolf, after what they did to Higurashi I'll never forgive them! But yeah, now that you mention it Funimation would probably do a good job; I love their series box sets, to see a neat foldout box or something for Spice and Wolf would be cool! So, here’s to the best possible English dub and packaging for Spice and Wolf! Who’s with me?!!!
Lord Ryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 04:01   Link #1019
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@BUMP

(needed more characters to post message....^_^)
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 00:00   Link #1020
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well.. if Kadokawa is protecting it, that means that Spice&Wolf is being considered Region 1 worthy (they rarely just sit on titles unlike those misfits at MFI).

Marketing a highly verbal series is going to be tricky for most of the remaining anime import distributors though. It'll be interesting to see who actually snares the series for distribution.

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen