AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-11-20, 12:55   Link #19441
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Okay, fixed and changed several things, that I hope will satisfy a few people, with Chapter 19 of Crisis. Re-posting it, and re-uploading it to ff.net in a bit. I don't want to cram up threads or forums with debate (unless everyone here doesn't mind), so if you still have issues, I'd be glad to debate via PMs. I can even point ya to links about modern and cutting edge weapon systems, and weapon theories.

Previous parts here: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2116261/Kaijo

Spoiler for MGLN Crisis Chapter 19: Rain of Fire:

Edit: Page claim for science vs. magic in the Nanoha-verse! ^_^

Last edited by Kaijo; 2009-11-20 at 13:11.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 13:50   Link #19442
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
While technically they don't say, we have a powerful white beam coming from the front of the ships, in ep26. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
It does not.
In A's, we're told the Arc totally destroys everything within 100km of the detonation point.
The Cradle is nowhere near that large, yet it took six blasts from XV-class ships to blow it up! That's like saying a 100lb is the same thing as a nuke.
Lastly, the Arc isn't equipment that can be installed on short notice. It takes days minimum. Heck, I think it takes longer than the week they had between the attack on Ground HQ and the Cradle launch. Before you try to argue they might have begun installation work earlier, I want to point out that nobody had any evidence that they were dealing with anything that required that level of firepower. It wasn't until after the GFHQ attack that Yuuno narrowed down the possible threat to the Cradle. Even then, Main HQ might not have allowed the deployment of the Arc on mere suspicions. Recall in A's that, they didn't install the Arc on the Asura until the Book and the Knights had been confirmed to be active again.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 14:18   Link #19443
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Phew. Stayed up until 4 am to get this post ready. The things I do for you people

So I now present the final chapter of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Decade. This chapter's about a thousand words longer than the previous ones.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

Spoiler for Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Decade Part 4:

Spoiler for References:

But wait, there's more! I have even more Kamen Rider goodness, and it's not even Christmas yet!

Spoiler for Kamen Rider Yuun-O: The Trailer:

Spoiler for Notes:
I vote that next, they got thrown into the universe of Sailor Moon.

Awesome Yuuno short! Was very nice to read. I do love how you focus so much on his character, I've become a Yuuno fangirl since I started writing "Day in the Life" with Nanya.

Nice job.
Old 2009-11-20, 14:24   Link #19444
SulliMike23
Soldier of Nod

Send a message via AIM to SulliMike23 Send a message via MSN to SulliMike23 Send a message via Yahoo to SulliMike23
Quote:
Phew. Stayed up until 4 am to get this post ready. The things I do for you people

So I now present the final chapter of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Decade. This chapter's about a thousand words longer than the previous ones.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

Spoiler for Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Decade Part 4:

Spoiler for References:

But wait, there's more! I have even more Kamen Rider goodness, and it's not even Christmas yet!

Spoiler for Kamen Rider Yuun-O: The Trailer:

Spoiler for Notes:
More Kamen Rider mix-ups! Gotta love it.
SulliMike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 14:44   Link #19445
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
It does not.
In A's, we're told the Arc totally destroys everything within 100km of the detonation point.
The Cradle is nowhere near that large, yet it took six blasts from XV-class ships to blow it up! That's like saying a 100lb is the same thing as a nuke.
The Cradle is also an extremely powerful piece of lost logia. I'm just using logic here: If I was in command, and knew about the cradle, I'd throw as much as I could against it. If I didn't, there would always be a chance that what I used wasn't enough. I'd rather err on the side of caution. I would assume Chrono would, too.

Quote:
Lastly, the Arc isn't equipment that can be installed on short notice. It takes days minimum.
As I pointed out, 10 years have passed since then. It should be fairly obvious that Chrono's ships are of a different class than the Artha/Asura. Unless you can point me to specific specs, then we have multiple ways of looking at this. Yes, your viewpoint is valid.

But it's also equally likely the Artha/Asura was merely a patrol-class ship and needed to be specially fitted with the Arc. Given 10 years and new ships (which are most likely of a more combat-oriented type), the Arc could be standard equipment. In fact, it would be damn stupid to have this big weapon, but only load it onto a ship *after* a danger presents itself. By then, it could be too late!

That's like the US saying during the cold war: "We don't need to build ICBMs or nuclear missiles in a ready to fire mode. If Russia fires theirs, then there will be a threat, and we'll quickly build and launch them."

The TSAB has it's faults, but I wouldn't make them that stupid. Assume for a moment that those cannons(that weren't the Arc because it takes a week to specially outfit) they fired didn't destroy the cradle. It was about to reach orbit and "become invincible." Suddenly it's "Oops" we didn't bring our full firepower to bear, and now it's too late and we're screwed.

Again, the viewpoint that Chrono's ships were *not* firing the Arc(or a mark II variant) is a valid opinion.

But it's an equally valid opinion that it's either a modified Arc or the Arc's spiritual descendant. 10 years have passed; weapons development happens. Actually, more than 10 years since the Arc was used, because it was used to blow up the ship Chrono's dad was on.

That brings up equally fun point, because the Arc used to fire on that ship wasn't a beam at all, but more like a photon torpedo. So we can compare 3 different shots:

#1 - photon torpedo on the Hestia, containing Chrono's dad, Clyde (there were magic circles, but no dish) beginning of ep 10
#2 - charges up a white ball and fires a white beam (with added magic circles and a magic dish) End of A's
#3 - charges up a white ball and fires a white beam. End of Strikers

The first two are Arcs, but vastly different. The latter two are similar looking and one of them is called an Arc. The third being unnamed. I dunno about you, but my logic tells me the last is at least somewhat related, if not an outright upgraded version, considering there *can* be different looks to an Arc weapon.

But as I said in a previous post, I have no problems debating this, if the mods allow it. If not, feel free to PM me if you want to continue. =)

Last edited by Kaijo; 2009-11-20 at 15:01.
Old 2009-11-20, 15:09   Link #19446
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Awesome Yuuno short! Was very nice to read. I do love how you focus so much on his character, I've become a Yuuno fangirl since I started writing "Day in the Life" with Nanya.
So few people focus on Yuuno (canon material included), so who am I to let him go to waste? There's so much potential for the lad that goes untapped otherwise. Of course in this case since it's Kamen Rider Den-O, I just had to make it Kamen Rider Yuun-O

Any excuse for more Yuunoha, too
Old 2009-11-20, 15:56   Link #19447
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Oh nice, I go away for a day and ark's being pedantic again.

Ignore him and he'll go away, Kaijo.

It's magic. A Wizard Did It.
Old 2009-11-20, 16:15   Link #19448
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^ Well, in this case it isn't a "Wizard did it" which is a bad thing to cling to anyway. This is canon info gathered by some of our veteran members, and most magic in nanoverse has an explanation.

That said, that missile thingie seems far-fetched and common sense can also see it doesn't work.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 16:49   Link #19449
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
^ Well, in this case it isn't a "Wizard did it" which is a bad thing to cling to anyway. This is canon info gathered by some of our veteran members, and most magic in nanoverse has an explanation.
With all due respect, I've been to many a fandom and run up against the same attitudes: The "veterans" have it all figured out, and woe be to you if you step out of those lines. It's kinda like the shippers. It's something that drives new fans away when the "law" gets laid down. I only manage to join new fandoms nowadays, because i have a thick skin and I know what to expect. I also find veterans to be fairly close-minded in accepting new ideas. Hell, I used to be one!

Seriously, I've been trying to extend the peace pipe for the last few posts in a sort of "we can all be right" kind of way, but if feel that only your own way is correct and everyone else is wrong, well, have fun with that. I'd rather just try to get along with everyone, and enjoy this universe we all love. But even I can accept that not everyone wants to.

I've actually found a lot of good people around here, who write stories with open minds. I may not be a particular fan of certain plots or certain setups, but I respect everyone's right to enjoy the universe in the methods they choose. If they want to tinker with things, more power to them! Who am I to pass judgment on someone's desire to have fun?

Quote:
That said, that missile thingie seems far-fetched and common sense can also see it doesn't work.
I do take a note of pride that people care enough to post, however. After all, if someone didn't care, they wouldn't post at all. I apologize if you feel my re-written chapter didn't work very well for you.

Let me close by stating a few things:
Magic itself seems far-fetched to me
Combat devices that can miniaturize themselves (ignoring the conservation of mass) and have an incredibly advanced AI, seems far-fetched to me
Hyperspace travel seems far-fetched to me
A 9 year-old-girl surviving hundreds of lightning bolts tossed at her seems far-fetched to me
A 19-year-old somehow magically hooking herself up to a computer seems far-fetched to me
Fully functional cyborgs seem far-fetched to me, especially ones that can phase through normal matter as if swimming

Common sense tells me none of this works.

There's a common tactic in certain action movies, where the hero or a villain smashes through a glass window. It shatters into a million pieces, and they generally come out the other side just fine. Sometimes mainly just a teeny-weeny bit bloody. It's pretty far-fetched because in real life, doing such a thing will heavily injure you, if not kill you outright. Yet we accept it when we go to watch our action movies, because sometimes things are bent ever so slightly for the sake of entertainment.

You should watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann sometime. It's just a "teeny" bit far-fetched.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to writing chapter 21. I have a story to finish, and I'm havin' fun with it. =)
Old 2009-11-20, 16:59   Link #19450
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
Kaijo please stop disrespecting people who try to help you. Suspension of disbelief changes piece to piece but cannot account for everything, some of the stuff is nitpicky stuff you can ignore but don't close your eyes and say "lalala I'm having fun so who cares".

But more to the point this matter should retreat to PMs or IRC or some such. Thank you.
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 17:02   Link #19451
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
On that note, lets have a short challenge:
Vivio, Einheart, Ix, Vivio's two friends that I can't remember the name of, and (if you want to use her) Syn are having a sleep over at Nanoha's house with only Nove there to supervise them. Your goal is to get them into as much trouble as you can

Any takers?
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 17:04   Link #19452
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
*cough*Corona and Lio*cough*
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 17:47   Link #19453
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
Kaijo please stop disrespecting people who try to help you. Suspension of disbelief changes piece to piece but cannot account for everything, some of the stuff is nitpicky stuff you can ignore but don't close your eyes and say "lalala I'm having fun so who cares".

But more to the point this matter should retreat to PMs or IRC or some such. Thank you.
I already mentioned I'd be more than happy to debate in PMs. And in fact, I did send some, but no response.

And a difference of opinion is not disrespect. I hold no disrespect towards those who disagreed with me. In fact, I'm still thinking about ways I can make what's going on clearer. But so far, the only criticism has been "By making up some information that you didn't include in your fic, I've concluded I don't see it happening." And so far the only suggestion has been to remove the chapter in total.

Of course, everyone has their own interpretation and their own opinions. And I would respectfully request that is what is going on. Thank you.
Old 2009-11-20, 18:09   Link #19454
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Vivio, Einheart, Ix, Vivio's two friends that I can't remember the name of, and (if you want to use her) Syn are having a sleep over at Nanoha's house with only Nove there to supervise them. Your goal is to get them into as much trouble as you can

Any takers?
You know, I had the same idea and I'm currently writing it, except instead of Nove I use Noland and Kaon. Oh Syn's there too.
Old 2009-11-20, 18:26   Link #19455
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
You know, I had the same idea and I'm currently writing it, except instead of Nove I use Noland and Kaon. Oh Syn's there too.
I'll read it :3
Old 2009-11-20, 18:26   Link #19456
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:

Any takers?
Syn aside (cuz she's a stranger to me), I wonder just how much trouble Vivio, Einhart, Ix, Corona, Rio, and Nove could get into. I mean, Vivio and Corona seem like well behaved girls, Einhart seems to be the type that would hate 'meaningless' things, Ix would be confused about everything, and Nove is definitely straight man material. I could see Rio trying to get the others into trouble since she's the cheerful out going type, but her alone might not be enough. Now if Wendi was there too, they'd have no choice but to get into all kinds of trouble.
Old 2009-11-20, 18:30   Link #19457
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:

Any takers?
I'm tempted, but.... *eyes neglected bunnies, schoolwork, beta work and that Lutecia's POV of the lemon I still owe you*

I'd be interested to see someone else try it, though.
Old 2009-11-20, 18:31   Link #19458
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Quote:
Syn aside (cuz she's a stranger to me), I wonder just how much trouble Vivio, Einhart, Ix, Corona, Rio, and Nove could get into. I mean, Vivio and Corona seem like well behaved girls, Einhart seems to be the type that would hate 'meaningless' things, Ix would be confused about everything, and Nove is definitely straight man material. I could see Rio trying to get the others into trouble since she's the cheerful out going type, but her alone might not be enough. Now if Wendi was there too, they'd have no choice but to get into all kinds of trouble.
Well those reasons would make for a good fic, I think. Trouble wouldn't be doing BAD things, but doing things. sneak out to see a movie (adult mode hooooo), random chatter, Nove running over town trying to find them thinking how Nanoha will kill them. Nove comes back to find the house destroyed after Einheart and Vivio's sparring session goes wrong, Syn getting her hair done and dressed up... good times
Old 2009-11-20, 18:32   Link #19459
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
I'll read it :3
You sure? It's got OCs and it's fanfiction. You tend to not read it when it's both.
Old 2009-11-20, 18:34   Link #19460
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
You sure? It's got OCs and it's fanfiction. You tend to not read it when it's both.
I'll read it. I might not comment on it (bad habit), but I'll read it.

EDIT: Pageclaim for reading!

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha