AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-22, 19:23   Link #41
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Hmmm... I hate my school so much... I want to kill every1 in it...

That's all...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 20:24   Link #42
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
A high GPA doesn't necessarily mean better student. I've stopped looking at the number and focus more on what the courses were/are. A GPA of 4.0 isn't going to mean jack to me unless you're taking some pretty advanced stuff. That girl going to med school...so she decided to up her game, no prob. Would you prefer someone treating you who kind of paid attention or someone who knows how to treat you? On the flip-side, I also want someone who treats me as a person and not just as another patient.In college, the teacher actually WANTS to hear other opinions. I don't agree with this quote mainly b/c there are some professors who could care less. Not everyone who becomes a professor/teacher wants to listen to others. Some will turn against you if you go against their "way" of logic. It's wrong but it's true.
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 20:55   Link #43
MikoKikyo

I don't mind high school so much.
Here's why:

1. BSing your way through English papers & earning an A is quite fun
1. longing for lunch period is fun
2. arguing with English/history teachers is fun (in college I probably wouldn't win :/)
3. dissing gym class, relentlessly, is fun
4. being part of a team, and playing a sport for your school is fun
5. poetry and psychology, art and literature are fun (we all have our academic hits...)
6. seeing your friends everyday is fun
7. searching for a prom date is fun
8. staring at your hw for hours is fun :C ok I have definitely run out of things to say :X

You just have to..... look at it the right way I guess
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 20:57   Link #44
raikage
日本語を食べません!

RichMan, personally I don't consider studying a waste of youth.

You also assue that she will spend every waking second devoted to studies (sleep, school, study, rinse, repeat) when that might not be the case. So she decided to quit cheerleading - big deal. It takes up a lot of time that she (or quite possibly her parents, acting of course in her best interests) decided could be put to use some other way.

Oddly enough, though, I knew someone that was like (a) - until he couldn't get into the college of his choice. Our class valedictorian couldn't get into the college of his choice. Apparently taking a gym class lowered his GPA to a lowly 4.xx and his SAT's weren't 1600 (though I believe they were in the 1400's).

And, RichMan *assuming you're in high school* you know what the state of public colleges in CA is. For the first time, state colleges (CSU's) are being forced to turn away qualified applicants - meaning there's a damn good chance you'll end up at a JC right after HS (which is not really the place you want to be unless you have to). I don't want to come across as all you have to think about your future, young man but really, what are you going to do?

Spiggy, I'm sorry that your teachers don't want to hear other opinions. Classes IMHO should always be open to new ideas and theories.

Though, depending on the class, sometimes there is no arguing. Basic foreign-language classes and hard sciences are a prime example.

If it is a problem, you CAN complain to the department - they want the best staff possible. The teacher, if the behavior continues and complaints build, COULD be fired.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 21:37   Link #45
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Quote:
personally I don't consider studying a waste of youth.
You are right... we are all borned to study and have a good life someday...

That's all...
Old 2004-04-22, 21:50   Link #46
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
That's all...
This is in every single one of your posts for some reason. If you like that emoticon so much, why don't you marry it?

:fingers:
Old 2004-04-22, 22:04   Link #47
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

On the topic of the topic:
I agree with Slade's first post. It is sort of difficult to take someone who talks about school while mispelling seriously [I think I know which opinion you take sides with].
I liked Arcueid and Shiki's conversation about education and pointless things in ep11 [I think] of Tsukihime. It makes a lot of sense.
Personally, I think that school and play should be balanced. I enjoy learning and will work as long as I get/learn something from it.
i.e. I get bored playing so much in summer because I really don't learn anything.
i.e. I enjoyed working at Barnes&Noble because I got paid and learned something new about books or how people work every week.
i.e. I hate long homework assignments because it repeats points repeatedly and, after a while, get bored.
To me, school and free time are a fine balance.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 22:35   Link #48
Spiggy
Invisible

Slade xTekno - You freak, I LOVE your av and sig!!! Any hoo...yeah, I pointed out also that work/fun need to be balanced. I quit band so that I could study more, work $$$$, and still have free-time.

raikage - yeah, I know about taking it to a higher authority ie: OMBUBS, Dept, Student Affairs. I also know that sometimes there's no point in trying to deal with imcompetence from someone who's supposed to be looking out for you interest by providing you with intellectually stimuating interactions. I've been on both sides of the fence. I like where I'm at now b/c they DO listen. They try to not only drill the info into your head, but also try to relate to you. That's how it's supposed to be done.

PriestessKikyo - heh...I dreaded looking for a prom date. I'm almost completely shy when it comes to things like that. You can still argue points across w/ professors in college if they're open-minded. That's when things get fun and interesting b/c you really get a chance to find out about how all their experience plays into everything. When they lose all formalities and treat you like an equal is an awesome feeling. Every class is up for debate, even math! Where else can you have 1=0 and 0=1 that doesn't pertain to code? The thing I do miss about high school is the "electric fence" feeling. You don't have all this stuff to worry about most of the time but when you go too far ZAP!! Sure the fence hurts since it's there for your protection, but you also learn to notice that it's there and figure out ways to get around it. I'm getting kind depressed now b/c I of miss being semi-popular
Old 2004-04-23, 01:31   Link #49
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
This is in every single one of your posts for some reason. If you like that emoticon so much, why don't you marry it?

:fingers:
I must agree with ashibaka, it's very very annoying... Really.
Old 2004-04-23, 01:38   Link #50
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
If that's the only reason to go to school, should I quit now?
ONly reason im going to school is beacause i am looking for a edit spouse edit .

sorry jappi, if you already dropped out of school, give me your principal's phone number and ill have a talk with him. with just a few cocktails and a dead hooker later, we can get you back in to school where you belong.
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 01:56   Link #51
Rem Margot
Darling bud of May.

University is expensive, and cut-throat, and it's rather detrimental to my health. After university, 6 years of Grad school. After that, hopefully, there will be a high paying, intellectually stimulating job.

However, this is a quote from C.S. Lewis

"Term, holiday, term, holiday, until you graduate. Then work, work, work until you die."

I hope he was joking. I am still young enough, and idealistic enough to believe that he was kidding.
Rem Margot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 02:44   Link #52
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Margot
"Term, holiday, term, holiday, until you graduate. Then work, work, work until you die."
That's true, in theory..
Old 2004-04-23, 02:47   Link #53
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
RichMan, personally I don't consider studying a waste of youth.

You also assue that she will spend every waking second devoted to studies (sleep, school, study, rinse, repeat) when that might not be the case. So she decided to quit cheerleading - big deal. It takes up a lot of time that she (or quite possibly her parents, acting of course in her best interests) decided could be put to use some other way.

Oddly enough, though, I knew someone that was like (a) - until he couldn't get into the college of his choice. Our class valedictorian couldn't get into the college of his choice. Apparently taking a gym class lowered his GPA to a lowly 4.xx and his SAT's weren't 1600 (though I believe they were in the 1400's).

And, RichMan *assuming you're in high school* you know what the state of public colleges in CA is. For the first time, state colleges (CSU's) are being forced to turn away qualified applicants - meaning there's a damn good chance you'll end up at a JC right after HS (which is not really the place you want to be unless you have to). I don't want to come across as all you have to think about your future, young man but really, what are you going to do?
fired.
Nah, i'm not going to college. I'm going to rely on the 3 computer-based ROP classes i'm taking. Once I get out of high school i'm going to look for a good job doing a computer based job(duh!). If for some reason I'm not able a job, then I guess I'll go to a computer trade school for more computer knowledge. I'm just doing what comes easy to me.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 02:51   Link #54
anime_luver

Send a message via MSN to anime_luver
may i ask a question to those who have finished middle school (grade 8 in particular, im in grade 8); what were your average grades? cuz im only getting like a 91% average and was wondering if that was normal, i feel that its low (in the us, thats only an A right?). yes im a nerd, hey i blame being in a gifted class . nerds can play sports too btw, my gym teacher recommended that i join the girl's basketball and soccer teams. im not gonna join though, because the other people eho will probably join tick me off.

and you can still have fun while focusing on your studies. sometimes self-studying also works better than government standard teachers, some teachers here in toronto are really stupid.

Last edited by anime_luver; 2004-04-23 at 03:13.
anime_luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 06:41   Link #55
Sid_Burn
Banned

Ashibaka : why would I marry it? it is just an emoticon... FOOL! :fingers:
Thany : annoying huh? your avatar's cuteness is much annoying!

Want to start a fight, I love wars...? but I can't since it is included in forum rules that if I start a fight I may get banned... <sigh> nevermind...

That's all... FOOLS!

Last edited by Sid_Burn; 2004-04-23 at 08:12.
Old 2004-04-23, 07:34   Link #56
Spiggy
Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_luver
may i ask a question to those who have finished middle school (grade 8 in particular, im in grade 8); what were your average grades? cuz im only getting like a 91% average and was wondering if that was normal, i feel that its low (in the us, thats only an A right?). yes im a nerd, hey i blame being in a gifted class . nerds can play sports too btw, my gym teacher recommended that i join the girl's basketball and soccer teams. im not gonna join though, because the other people eho will probably join tick me off.

and you can still have fun while focusing on your studies. sometimes self-studying also works better than government standard teachers, some teachers here in toronto are really stupid.
8th grade...I was like a 3.6, 3.8 I guess that's A- or something, guy taking whatever hard classes they had at my school. Let's just say that you're not average but you are better than average since you're getting good grades and taking hard classes. Disclosure: I'm not down talking everyone who does good and are taking the "standard" courses IMO. Everyone has their skill in something. What you may lack in logic you may make up in practicality or like Einstein you're too advanced to comprehend the "simple stuff". So hope I'm not insulting anyone. Playing sports is good. You should at least show up to the try-outs to see if they tick you off before you give it the big thumbs down
Old 2004-04-23, 10:06   Link #57
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Margot
However, this is a quote from C.S. Lewis

I hope he was joking. I am still young enough, and idealistic enough to believe that he was kidding.
I was hoping to find the context of that-- it sounds like an argument, "Christianity is the only good thing in life so you should join up"-- but I can't seem to find the source of that quote anywhere, so I won't make baseless accusations.

In any case, I would say that's a rather pessimistic view of things.
Old 2004-04-23, 11:07   Link #58
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
my response when teachers ask me about religion "religion is the opiate of the masses"- karl marx

stops discussion dead!.. not really

school is a great place to hang out with all of you.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 11:55   Link #59
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
School was great for me, attended a great High School, some of the happiest times in my life thus far were in school with friends.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 11:58   Link #60
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_luver

I moved from Toronto before grade six, so I can't really say if that's good or not (that and it's been about 12 years since then >.> Is it me or do kids seem smarter these days?). Where I ended up graduating/passing middle school was pitiful, the class average was only about a 62% for eighteen people and that was due to mine and two other people's marks pulling it up. My middle school passed four people with marks over 75% from the grade nine class that year.

There were no course options, everybody had to take the same things - Math, English Literature, Science, Social Studies, French, Physical Education, WoodShop and Home Economics. The only thing that was optional was participation in the yearly track and field meets. There were no sports teams, clubs or anything of the sort. If you were considered advanced, you read ahead but didn't get any special treatment, courses or assignments. You all took the courses together, home economics was interesting to say the least... I learned to sew and cook, only one of which I still do. One of the only times when your class was split up was when sex education had to be taught, the girls and the guys got their respective 'talks' seperate of each other. Most schools don't do that anymore though.

Yeah... I passed with a 98.5% average so I can't complain.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote