ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

And we got a new Teaser with new Footage, this time by the Toonami guys:

Really looking forward to this!
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 04:37   Link #142
desrtsku
Nympholept

It looks so colourful and well animated.
That Honey wink.
Old 2013-12-01, 05:15   Link #143
kuromitsu

I continue not being impressed with the way the teasers are all "girls! boobs! (some action and comic relief) girls! boobs! hey don't forget the girls and the boobs!" aspect... seriously, has Watanabe gone back in time until he's twelve or something?

It's not that I expect Dostoyevsky level depths from this show but seriously now. I hope it will have more to offer than what the teasers seem to imply, otherwise even my appreciation for Suwabe Junichi and some people on the writing staff won't be enough to carry me through more than a handful of episodes.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 05:43   Link #144
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Blaming comedy for luck of plot is extremely clever.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 06:23   Link #145
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I continue not being impressed with the way the teasers are all "girls! boobs! (some action and comic relief) girls! boobs! hey don't forget the girls and the boobs!" aspect... seriously, has Watanabe gone back in time until he's twelve or something?

It's not that I expect Dostoyevsky level depths from this show but seriously now. I hope it will have more to offer than what the teasers seem to imply, otherwise even my appreciation for Suwabe Junichi and some people on the writing staff won't be enough to carry me through more than a handful of episodes.
For me the trailers are telling me something rather simple: this is an old-school show. What we see is probably what we'll get. Lots of comedy, very crass comedy and plenty of nonsensical action to top it of. I like it.
Old 2013-12-01, 06:37   Link #146
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

I can't possibly read that without dying to ask how you feel about Kill la Kill...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 07:48   Link #147
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
For me the trailers are telling me something rather simple: this is an old-school show. What we see is probably what we'll get. Lots of comedy, very crass comedy and plenty of nonsensical action to top it of. I like it.
I don't mind comedy or even crass comedy - Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san is one of my favorite anime and manga, and it doesn't really get more crass than that. What I don't appreciate is the way the show seems to be setting itself up for a specific target audience, one that I don't belong to. I appreciate cute girls as much as the next person who appreciates cute girls (hey, not everyone does), but frankly the trailers released so far keep reminding me of this video (caution: NSFW!), and if this is the mindset needed to appreciate this anime I'm probably not going to last long... (And to be honest I don't think "old-school" is or should be be synonymous with this. The old-school shows that had this sort of service were also made for a specific target audience. And at least in Cowboy Bebop Faye's outfit arguably served characterization purposes as well as general eye candy, then again I think Cowboy Bebop was mostly brilliant in ways I don't expect Space Dandy to be.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't possibly read that without dying to ask how you feel about Kill la Kill...
I think you already know the answer. It's not my cup of tea, and none of its predecessors were. (Not even Gurren Lagann. When it comes to giant robots and being over the top nothing can beat Aquarion as far as I'm concerned.)
Old 2013-12-01, 08:26   Link #148
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
I don't mind comedy or even crass comedy - Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san is one of my favorite anime and manga, and it doesn't really get more crass than that. What I don't appreciate is the way the show seems to be setting itself up for a specific target audience, one that I don't belong to. I appreciate cute girls as much as the next person who appreciates cute girls (hey, not everyone does), but frankly the trailers released so far keep reminding me of this video (caution: NSFW!), and if this is the mindset needed to appreciate this anime I'm probably not going to last long... (And to be honest I don't think "old-school" is or should be be synonymous with this. The old-school shows that had this sort of service were also made for a specific target audience. And at least in Cowboy Bebop Faye's outfit arguably served characterization purposes as well as general eye candy, then again I think Cowboy Bebop was mostly brilliant in ways I don't expect Space Dandy to be.)
Like you I think that this show isn't trying to be Cowboy Bebop. People are pointing to it as an example of Shinichiro Watanabe's previous work but I don't think that it'll share much with that show aside from being set in space as well.

From all I've seen I think it might just be a mindless adolescent show and for me that's all right. I really don't mind shutting down the rational part of my brain for a couple of minutes to unwind but I can perfectly understand how some folks might not enjoy doing the same.

Now I'm not saying that I can't see this show elevating itself above it's own set expectations and having something interesting to convey beneath all the mindless teenage fantasy stuff but that might just be a bonus instead of the main course.
Old 2013-12-01, 09:02   Link #149
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

I think you already know the answer. It's not my cup of tea, and none of its predecessors were. (Not even Gurren Lagann. When it comes to giant robots and being over the top nothing can beat Aquarion as far as I'm concerned.)
Yeah, just thought I'd check. It's just that your post sounded exactly as if it could have been written about KlK, except after 9 episodes instead of before it's started.

I will say, though, that I put Watanabe on an altogether different level than Imaishi as a director - and that's coming from someone who loved TTGL (which is a lot more than giant robots and being over-the-top - that's why I love it). I'm not expecting Hamlet here but I do think he's almost incapable of directing something without a certain level of wit and sophistication.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 13:47   Link #150
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

Well the post or pre-sex scene in one of the trailers combined with this makes me think that this will be a fanservice title. I'm not going in expecting anything complicated. Just leave your brain at the door.
Old 2013-12-01, 14:23   Link #151
kuromitsu

>Dextro
Yeah, that's pretty much what I expect this show to be at this point, and I think it's a pity. It's not that I don't like turning my brain off and just enjoying something, but so far this is not shaping up to be the type of dumb comedy that I enjoy... Oh well, we'll see. In any case I still have Suwabe Junichi to look forward to.

Quote:
Yeah, just thought I'd check. It's just that your post sounded exactly as if it could have been written about KlK, except after 9 episodes instead of before it's started.
Heh, then I guess I made the right choice not watching it.

Quote:
I will say, though, that I put Watanabe on an altogether different level than Imaishi as a director - and that's coming from someone who loved TTGL (which is a lot more than giant robots and being over-the-top - that's why I love it). I'm not expecting Hamlet here but I do think he's almost incapable of directing something without a certain level of wit and sophistication.
I hope you're right... It would be a pity to assemble this writing staff and blow all that talent on pointless, purely id-scratching romps.
Old 2013-12-01, 15:07   Link #152
AleX_MytH

In the Otakon interview Watanabe said that Cowboy Bebop was 80% of seriousness and 20% of comedy, and Space Dandy will be the exact opposite. So you can expect some serious stuff, but a limited amount of it. Pretty common among series with random plot I guess.
AleX_MytH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 17:38   Link #153
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleX_MytH View Post
In the Otakon interview Watanabe said that Cowboy Bebop was 80% of seriousness and 20% of comedy, and Space Dandy will be the exact opposite. So you can expect some serious stuff, but a limited amount of it. Pretty common among series with random plot I guess.
After seeing the trailer and all the other promo stuff. I kept getting the feeling this was going to be a more comedic Cowboy Bebop, or Cowboy Bebop like, which is fine for me.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 04:25   Link #154
Articalys

Articalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 05:17   Link #155
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Evil intergalactic tentacled space vaginas never go out of style.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 10:17   Link #156
Utsuro no Hako

New key visual.

Love the Statue of Liberty wearing a ball-gag.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 10:35   Link #157
RollingPenguin

So all of the creators behind the show were fully revealed(http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...reviews-voices)
It is great so see so many musical artists that have nothing to do with anime,I spent last hour just googling their names and listening to their songs and most of them are pretty good.I am actually a bit disappointed to see that Yoko Kanno on the list,I mean she isnt bad by any stretch of imagination but you kinda know what to expect from her.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 11:33   Link #158
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
New key visual.

http://space-dandy.com/img/mainv.jpg

Love the Statue of Liberty wearing a ball-gag.
Did I just see a mech looking like Ideon?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 12:25   Link #159
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articalys View Post
Spoiler:
Looking sick. Most visually impressive show since... I don't even know.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 15:20   Link #160
desrtsku
Nympholept

It looks pleasantly colourful and exceptionally well animated.
That Honey pose.

I'm kind of repeating myself, but it can't be helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Looking sick. Most visually impressive show since... I don't even know.
I second that, it visually looks like Star Driver on steroid or GITS SAC with rainbows ... or a mix of both.

Tags
comedy, retro sci-fi