AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-11, 19:03   Link #101
Dextro
He Without a Title

I just wanted to say that I fully support the creation of a Portugal club. I will even say that I am open to help as a foreign advisor of sorts. Then I can go to Japan and help those girls understand better my country.

And maybe take one of them home... *is shot*
Old 2013-07-11, 22:07   Link #102
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Must say the new teacher is an idiot getting lost then going to the drama club

Oh my Potte can even speak
Old 2013-07-12, 09:57   Link #103
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I seriously don't know how these girls stay thin with all the awesome desserts they keep eating.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 14:23   Link #104
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I seriously don't know how these girls stay thin with all the awesome desserts they keep eating.
Seems to be quite common in anime.

I'm betting it will come to haunt hem when they get older, though.

So now, the photo talent comes to the club. I wonder what Potte's next move will be, as I don't think the girl is there for just a social visit.
Old 2013-07-16, 23:49   Link #105
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
All aboard the moe boat!

This part of the post was about as moe as Chibi Maon herself. One of my favorite parts of the episode was the captain freaking out after Maon pulled a hard to starboard.

And that was awesome, Triple. Loved the whole thing; my favorite parts were probably Norie and Brown-Haired Girl's (sorry Tsundere-chan, forget your name) wry reactions to Vince McMahon's track record. I could understand if you don't feel like going through the effort of writing any more comedy skits for future episodes... buuuuuut if you do feel like doing a few here and there, that would make this thread approximately 130,000 percent more awesome. Seriously, that writeup was great.

The dynamics between Potte and Gray-Haired Girl remind me a lot of those shared by Saki and Nodoka, on a random note. On the one hand you have a very mellow, utterly sweetnatured and nonconfrontational girl with a trove of natural talent (Saki, Potte); and on the other hand you have a 'rival' with a much stronger drive and competitive streak (though Gray-chan isn't nearly as intense as Nodoka was during the early parts of the series). Nodoka never managed to change Saki's docile and easygoing nature, but given the name of the series, I guess Gray-chan will probably end up making Potte more aggressiveuu.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 00:34   Link #106
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

I feel like Junichi Satou might be onto something closer to Aria with this season than what we had last season. The first season was similarly sweet but it never reached the crowning levels of heartwarming that Aria did mostly because there were no real stakes. The characters didn't have goals, at least not on the level of the 3 main girls in Aria working to become Primas. It feels like we're moving in that direction now and if that means heartfelt moments of triumph in with all the fluffy sweetness I for one am a fan.
Old 2013-07-17, 11:08   Link #107
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
I feel like Junichi Satou might be onto something closer to Aria with this season than what we had last season. The first season was similarly sweet but it never reached the crowning levels of heartwarming that Aria did mostly because there were no real stakes. The characters didn't have goals, at least not on the level of the 3 main girls in Aria working to become Primas. It feels like we're moving in that direction now and if that means heartfelt moments of triumph in with all the fluffy sweetness I for one am a fan.
IMHO, it's not really the presence of said stakes that made Aria heartwarming, since most of the episodes didn't even deal with the goal of becoming Primas - see the 4th episode of Animation as an early example.

What does make Tamayura less "sweet" in my view is that the spectre of death -i.e. the effect of the death of Potte's dad in her life - does hang in the air somewhat, being a key point in Potte's character development. This hint of morbidity is something that not even Aria in its scariest (that one incident with the Black Lady, which is played more for cheap horror and a bit of laughs ) had. It does make Tamayura a bit more grounded and "real" in this regard though, asides from it having a modern setting.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 12:32   Link #108
Marina2

Ep.3 New girl!

Spoiler for ep.3:
Old 2013-07-17, 20:10   Link #109
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
IMHO, it's not really the presence of said stakes that made Aria heartwarming, since most of the episodes didn't even deal with the goal of becoming Primas - see the 4th episode of Animation as an early example.
I hear you. I would agree that the stakes weren't necessary to make Aria heartwarming, it had plenty of that on its own. I think my point should have been that the stakes enhanced certain parts of the show, particularly in how they elevated the end of The Origination to a level that Tamayura, as of yet, hasn't matched.

Quote:
What does make Tamayura less "sweet" in my view is that the spectre of death -i.e. the effect of the death of Potte's dad in her life - does hang in the air somewhat, being a key point in Potte's character development.
It does seem like the strongest points of Tamayura come when the show deals with the death of Potte's father. The rest of the show is nice, but it moves from merely sweet to exceptionally touching when that subject comes up.
Old 2013-07-18, 09:22   Link #110
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So the reason Kanae never created a Photography Club herself is that she's even less aggressive than Fuu. These two are going to get along wonderfully. It's good for the club to have a member like her since that means Fuu will be able to settle in her "leader" role.
Old 2013-07-18, 18:38   Link #111
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

What does make Tamayura less "sweet" in my view is that the spectre of death -i.e. the effect of the death of Potte's dad in her life - does hang in the air somewhat, being a key point in Potte's character development. This hint of morbidity is something that not even Aria in its scariest (that one incident with the Black Lady, which is played more for cheap horror and a bit of laughs ) had. It does make Tamayura a bit more grounded and "real" in this regard though, asides from it having a modern setting.
Quote:
I hear you. I would agree that the stakes weren't necessary to make Aria heartwarming, it had plenty of that on its own. I think my point should have been that the stakes enhanced certain parts of the show, particularly in how they elevated the end of The Origination to a level that Tamayura, as of yet, hasn't matched.
I have to partially agree with DasDingus there and partially disagree with LoweGear. I have been saying since season one that Tamayura had something missing and that was a drive to the show. I actually felt the same way about One Off as well. Luckily I believe that the addition of the photography club is exactly what the show needed to bring it closer to the feeling that Aria had that made it so special. Where I disagree with DasDingus is what that drive actually was in Aria.

While the strive to become full blown undines in Aria made for a fantastic climax to the final season (that is in fact leaving me a bit emotional just from remembering) I don't think that it was the major factor that made the show as special as it turned out to be. I believe that the true drive of that show was always the fact that we were exploring the fantastic setting of Neo-Venezia and Aqua through the eyes of Akari-chan. While the personal trip of the girls was what made people love the beginning and end of the trip that was watching Aria, what really made the show into something special were all the episodes in the middle that gave us an insight into such a fantastic scenery.

The problem with Tamayura so far is that it got so caught up with exploring the human characters of the show that it forgot to replace the resolved issue of Potte's father with something else to keep the viewers interest. While I hold a special place in my heart for Akari, Aika and Alice now I am fully aware that that only came about due to a feeling of sharing their interest in the mysteries of Aqua. In Tamayura so far I haven't managed to find a common interest with the characters to truly get attached to the show but I believe that a reinforced focus on photography through this new photography club may be just the thing to correct that.

And with that out of the way on to the episode. The new girl (whose name I sadly forget at the moment) just completely blew my moe-meter. Those moments of hesitation are criminally cute. The moment that scene on top of the stairs came she went up to 9/10 moe points on the Dextro's scale of moe appeal
Old 2013-07-18, 22:01   Link #112
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Potte with more broken japanese and the new girl Kanae how seem just like Potte
Old 2013-07-19, 10:03   Link #113
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i still think this season's title: MOAR Aggressive does not fit at all
makes me want to think the cast suddenly acts like the cast of YuruYuri or something
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 10:10   Link #114
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The title does fit. More is the key word. Fuu is not aggressive, but she is more aggressive than she used to be.
Old 2013-07-19, 10:51   Link #115
Pen3

Congorats to Potte on getting the cutest 3rd year to join her club. Kawaii senpai get!
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 10:56   Link #116
Marina2

I know that Potte is short compared to her friends.....but when she's standing next to Kanae (new club member)....WOW.
Old 2013-07-19, 12:18   Link #117
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

She;s also considerably flatter than Kanae and the rest of her friends.

Don't ask me how I know these things.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 18:24   Link #118
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Have caught up to ep 3 and I have to say that I am enjoying where things are going with the story. In a certain sense something is "happening" and this activity is bringing up some things about Fuu's past and her relationship with her father. The section with Maestro being a high school friend with Fuu's dad was a big surprise for me, and the scene where Fuu's father was walking backwards and snapping shots of his two friends was very well done.
Old 2013-07-21, 00:59   Link #119
Dr. Casey

I have a theory in response to those who think the series is misnamed.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-07-21, 06:27   Link #120
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I have a theory in response to those who think the series is misnamed.

Spoiler:
I would watch those in a heartbeat

Tags
iyashikei, slice of life