AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2010-08-29, 02:59   Link #1481
Shoni

I just finished watching the Anime... And I'm at a total loss for words for it, it's one of the best animes I've ever seen in my life, incredibly funny and yet very serious and deep at the same time, I was in tears at many places in this series as it was so beautiful and sad... Problem is... As I've said, I have watched all of the episodes! Now what?! xD
Shoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 10:17   Link #1482
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoni View Post
I just finished watching the Anime... And I'm at a total loss for words for it, it's one of the best animes I've ever seen in my life, incredibly funny and yet very serious and deep at the same time, I was in tears at many places in this series as it was so beautiful and sad... Problem is... As I've said, I have watched all of the episodes! Now what?! xD
Play the VN, or rewatch the series.
Old 2010-08-29, 12:22   Link #1483
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Watch the KyoAni adaptations of Air and Kanon.
Old 2010-08-31, 06:30   Link #1484
Shoni

Yeah I'll probobly re-watch it, got some other animes to watch first tho so I dont remember everything hehe
Shoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 12:12   Link #1485
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I went back and watched the AU OVA episodes at the end of each season and I'm pretty annoyed with KyoAni.

Why do Kyou and Tomoya get an on-screen kiss in a single-episode noncanon OVA, when in canon we never once see Nagisa and Tomoya kiss, even though we know they're fucking.

It's stupid, Nagisa admits it onscreen, and we have Ushio, obviously. So why the hell don't Nagisa and Tomoya do anything more than hold hands and look at each other with googly eyes?

Seriously, KyoAni, you just obliterated suspension of disbelief.
Old 2010-09-05, 20:21   Link #1486
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Seriously, KyoAni, you just obliterated suspension of disbelief.
Well, you're obviously just ranting about it, but honestly there's nothing a kiss would say about their relationship that we can't already see and infer. I guess the bigger question, if you want to try to think about it, is does the fact they did not show this (whereas they did for the romances shown in the OVAs) tell us something about the nature of the relationship between Nagisa and Tomoya, as opposed to those he might have had with Kyou, or Tomoyo, and so on. Personally I think it does, but it's obviously subject to interpretation. (I mean, put it this way, as you admitted, it's not like they "forgot".)
Old 2010-09-05, 23:56   Link #1487
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Yeah, it's just kind of a strange thing not to have a kissing scene, at least one. The way Tomoya and Nagisa's relationship was portrayed just seemed way too chaste to exist in this day and age.

I mean, I'm sure there's people like that in the world, but... more often there's not.

The little romance fangirl in me also wanted to see it so she could squee very loudly at the cuteness and was sadly disappointed.
Old 2010-09-06, 02:37   Link #1488
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Spoiler for Spoilers.:

This ended up being the studio's prerogative for whatever reason. Works both ways for me regardless.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 03:02   Link #1489
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, it's just kind of a strange thing not to have a kissing scene, at least one. The way Tomoya and Nagisa's relationship was portrayed just seemed way too chaste to exist in this day and age.

I mean, I'm sure there's people like that in the world, but... more often there's not.

The little romance fangirl in me also wanted to see it so she could squee very loudly at the cuteness and was sadly disappointed.
I just remembered that Tomoya and Nagisa never did a kiss in the anime... It is the most surprising thing atm with how their relationship was portrayed, and how they even got a child.. But never kissed...
Old 2010-09-06, 10:26   Link #1490
Tomoya Okazaki
I hate this town

Quote:
Watch the KyoAni adaptations of Air and Kanon.
yeah i like kanon after the first episode but if notice the eyes u can tell that the same person who made clannad made kanon but what dosnt make sence is the personality of Yuichi Aizawa and Ayu Tsukimiya is diffrent.
Tomoya Okazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 16:26   Link #1491
SheiKyy
Fumoffu!

Haha the lack of a kissing part killed me. To me, the kiss is like the culmination of all the trials that the couple had to go through to become a true couple. The consummation of the relationship, even more so than sex. Because J-animes rarely have sex.
SheiKyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 16:31   Link #1492
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmm.. Now that I think about it, with no kissing they were basically not totally focused on the "Romance" in this Anime. They were more focused on "Family" and "Character's Troubles" I mean Tomoya and Nagisa's relationship was not finalized till the end of Season 1, and there wasn't much romance scenes involving besides it including the baby "Ushio" Also how Tomoya solves the other girl's problems, with Nagisa tagging along.

The Romance in the anime really kicked in when they started living together.

Spoiler for Read if you watched ending:

Its just my opinion though... There is romance, but the anime was not completely focused on the "Romance" in it.. I may be wrong though...
Old 2010-09-10, 01:09   Link #1493
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Nah. Genre-wise, Clannad is a dramedy. Romance is secondary.
Old 2010-09-10, 05:59   Link #1494
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, you're obviously just ranting about it, but honestly there's nothing a kiss would say about their relationship that we can't already see and infer. I guess the bigger question, if you want to try to think about it, is does the fact they did not show this (whereas they did for the romances shown in the OVAs) tell us something about the nature of the relationship between Nagisa and Tomoya, as opposed to those he might have had with Kyou, or Tomoyo, and so on. Personally I think it does, but it's obviously subject to interpretation. (I mean, put it this way, as you admitted, it's not like they "forgot".)
I made a similar conjecture when I first watched it, but to me, it was more like building up to a certain moment and cutting the payoff short. Anime in general is rather conservative about these kinds of things, so it doesn't quite have the intended effect when they make it even more conservative just to prove a point that romantic plotlines can still develop rather well without conventional displays of affection.

I really do believe it would have been beneficial for Nagisa and Tomoya as a couple if they were to share a kiss or two, probably one at the end of the first season, as well as a heated this-is-obviously-leading-to-sex makeout somewhere in After Story. In addition to it being pretty damn hot, they'd make an even greater impact on the viewer as an effective couple. Real people do these kinds of things, you know.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 12:08   Link #1495
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It does feel awfully sterilized. Yes, it is definitely implied but sometimes it doesn't hurt to be a bit more direct with certain things. Teasing with no payoff sucks.

It feels like a very severe case of Bleached Underpants, not for Clannad in particular but it does kinda feel that way since Clannad. is the only "Clean" one from Key besides Angel Beats. But in any case the KyoAni versions of their stories were just extremely conservative about that kind of thing.

Also, they seem really obsessed with the indirect kisses. (I mean scenes where people kiss but it's not directly shown) Wtf. There's no excuse with someone like Kyou. >.>

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 12:46   Link #1496
Mute
エアコンを止めろ!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Mute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I just remembered that Tomoya and Nagisa never did a kiss in the anime... It is the most surprising thing atm with how their relationship was portrayed, and how they even got a child.. But never kissed...
I was surprised when she said they had sex.
Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 14:52   Link #1497
Tomoya Okazaki
I hate this town

say "I" if u cried on after story
Tomoya Okazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 10:51   Link #1498
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoya Okazaki View Post
say "I" if u cried on after story
I didn't cry, because i was expecting it (I couldn't help but read the spoilers)
but it was still very sad.

unfortunately, it seems like the main part that everyone remembers is only the last few episodes of the second seasons...which kind of makes everything else filler.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 17:27   Link #1499
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While a kiss would have been nice, I kind of like how Clannad did prove that romantic plotlines can still develop rather well without conventional displays of affection. There's a subtlety to it that I appreciate, especially in retrospect.

In some ways, it makes Nagisa and Tomoya's relationship seem that much more heartfelt in that they really, truly do love one another, and like being around one another, and that their bond is rooted in much more than sexual attractiveness alone.

That being said, a kiss or two would have been nice, particularly in After Story.

However, I honestly think that a make-out scene might have felt a bit out of place in Clannad, and run contrary to the general mood and tone that Clannad was aiming for.
Old 2010-09-13, 00:50   Link #1500
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, I honestly think that a make-out scene might have felt a bit out of place in Clannad, and run contrary to the general mood and tone that Clannad was aiming for.
No, not at all. These guys are teenagers and they're in love. Furthermore, Nagisa and Tomoya become husband and wife. It didn't matter how often they did it, so long as the timing and execution were spot-on. For example, check out 3:59 - 4:04 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAxGQUOD5Q

That's what I mean when I'm referring to "the sex make-out". It happens in movies and IRL all the time and I can perfectly picture Tomoya and Nagisa doing this at some point, especially as a married couple and in the privacy of their own home.

I saw quite a few instances in the anime where appropriated sexual tension is omitted entirely. In retrospect, it's actually a bit odd to make Tomoya seem so chaste in here while he was much more lax about his libido in the source material. I think the latter is much more befitting of his character.

Also: woo, #1500
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen