AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-14, 10:52   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 557 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, the break's over, so now we can get this show on the road:

-The ministory focuses on Brooke, though the details are currently unknown. Chapter title is "Luffy and Whitebeard".

-We get a more detailed explanation of how Luffy's group came flying into Marineford. Their hijacked battleship was caught in the tsunami caused by Whitebeard's DF power, then ended up getting stuck in ice thanks to Aokiji. Luffy was able to discover their plot to execute Ace early thanks to the communications equipment on the ship. Luffy and co. manage to break the ice, which caused their ship to go tumbling down......

-Jinbei helps prevent the DF users from falling into the sea. Luffy calls out to Ace, but Crocodile decided to take this opportunity to take a shot at snuffing out Whitebeard. Luffy stops him, saying that he won't let Crocoboy hurt the person that Ace looks up to. A bunch of characters comment on Luffy's presence (amusingly, Akainu talks about killing Luffy, heh. Moria seems to have gotten pretty pissed at the sight of Luffy, as well....).

-Whitebeard asks Luffy if he's there to rescue Ace. Luffy tells Whitebeard that he intends to become Pirate King before he does. Newgate simply calls him cocky and tells him not to get in his way. Both Ivankov and Buggy are shocked by Luffy's boldness. Kizaru asks Sengoku if it's alright to execute all of the new arrivals, to which Sengoku merely responds, "Of course".......

Heh, so it looks like all the superpowers took a time out over Luffy, eh? Still, the fact that both Kizaru and Akainu are interested in killing Luffy can't be good.... though, speaking of Kizaru, I wonder if this also means that Sentoumaru is somewhere nearby? If so, Luffy will at least have a chance to pay him back for Sabaody......

Oh, and I'm still waiting for Buggy to do something crazy to further justify his inevitable bounty hike. And now to wait for pictures.......
Old 2009-09-14, 10:59   Link #2
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Wow just wow! This chapter is intense. I guess luffy really has made an impact on the world for real. The previous enemies haven't forgotten him and seems that the newer ones want at him too. There is now way he can handle all of these powerhouses. And hell, he called out Whitebeared! Insane!
Old 2009-09-14, 11:03   Link #3
andy

Well i expect this to happen all big boys have something to say about luffy. It seem the admirals want to take out luffy early before he becomes more of problem .
Old 2009-09-14, 11:10   Link #4
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Once both luffy and buggy survive this, god knows how much their bounties will increase. Especially Buggy...

Quite ironic. Luffy stopping Croc from attacking WB, then telling WB that he will beat WB to the throne

Now its seems like luffy vs two admirals, any pics out yet marvelB? Before i can make further conclusions
Old 2009-09-14, 11:10   Link #5
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
It's starting to feel like this was Sengoku's plan all along, luring as many powerful foes to Marineford, for massive execution.
Old 2009-09-14, 11:15   Link #6
marvelB

By the way, Sengoku once again yells at Garp about his family always causing trouble when he sees Luffy's group crashing into Marineford. I guess being the "Buddha" means Sengoku's mustered up enough patience to prevent him from getting an aneurysm.

Also, seeing as several characters comment on Luffy's arrival, I'm kinda hoping that it also includes some of those NW captains. This could determine whether or not any of those guys will be future enemies or allies to Luffy in later storylines......
Old 2009-09-14, 11:32   Link #7
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
By the way, Sengoku once again yells at Garp about his family always causing trouble when he sees Luffy's group crashing into Marineford. I guess being the "Buddha" means Sengoku's mustered up enough patience to prevent him from getting an aneurysm.

Also, seeing as several characters comment on Luffy's arrival, I'm kinda hoping that it also includes some of those NW captains. This could determine whether or not any of those guys will be future enemies or allies to Luffy in later storylines......

Well it won't really make sense they saying anything about him. I mean so far the NW captains seem like fodder. Plus it not like we know much about them so they saying something won't really matter . These guys come to help WB and here we have luffy telling WB he going to be pirate king .
Old 2009-09-14, 11:38   Link #8
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

^I dunno andy, seems like Luffy was the more obvious threat, becoz firstly, luffy's closer to ace in terms of positioning, and secondly (more importantly), he is the guy who does the craziest things to drive sengoku crazy. The defeat of croc, the fall of enies lobby, the defeat of moria, and the tenryubito affair... All causes headaches for him. Even if the new world pirates are stronger, most dont have the guts to even try this sort of stuff. No wonder sengoku would be talking about him, and kizaru, since he would be like "WoE is he here now?" considering what Kuma did.

Though I dont know about Akainu's reaction, maybe he is an anti-virus software?

EDIT: Okay, a somewhat logical explanation of the drop-in, though I liked the death-wink theory better... dunno why

Crusader, u are most probably right in this case, probably Akainu will melt the ice and sacrifice his comrades to defeat the enemy. However, now that the joker card has been played (Jimbei), this could get interesting

EDIT 2: Some will definitely reappear in the future though, however the spotlight's on luffy. Now is the time to set the target for luffy. If he wants to be the pirate king (we noe he does), he would have to beat Whitebeard. Its all luffy's logic. Just like so many times be4, when he says, "So if I beat this guy, then..."

Last edited by Hell_ping; 2009-09-14 at 11:58.
Old 2009-09-14, 11:46   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Well it won't really make sense they saying anything about him. I mean so far the NW captains seem like fodder. Plus it not like we know much about them so they saying something won't really matter . These guys come to help WB and here we have luffy telling WB he going to be pirate king .

Well, those captains are supposed to be pretty prominent figures in the New World (plus, the fact that some of them were named suggests to me that not all of them are fodder.....). Depending on how many of them survive this war, some of them may end up trying to either take Whitebeard's place as an emperor or will keep his spot "on hold" until they find someone worthy enough to take up the mantle (like Ace, who I'm still pretty certain will end up surviving). Like I said before, that could determine who amongst those pirates will become Luffy's friends or enemies in the future.....

....And I guess I also want an excuse to see Doma and Makugai appear in future storylines. Those two looked the most badass out of those NW captains, IMO.

By the way, I find it kinda funny that Crocodile would attack Whitebeard head-on like that. I mean, we saw in Ace's flashback that Whitebeard could easily smack around a Logia that tried to attack him off-guard, so what makes Crocoboy so confident that he can fare better than Ace or that giant VA from the previous chapter.....?
Old 2009-09-14, 12:44   Link #10
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Well, those captains are supposed to be pretty prominent figures in the New World (plus, the fact that some of them were named suggests to me that not all of them are fodder.....). Depending on how many of them survive this war, some of them may end up trying to either take Whitebeard's place as an emperor or will keep his spot "on hold" until they find someone worthy enough to take up the mantle (like Ace, who I'm still pretty certain will end up surviving). Like I said before, that could determine who amongst those pirates will become Luffy's friends or enemies in the future.....

By the way, I find it kinda funny that Crocodile would attack Whitebeard head-on like that. I mean, we saw in Ace's flashback that Whitebeard could easily smack around a Logia that tried to attack him off-guard, so what makes Crocoboy so confident that he can fare better than Ace or that giant VA from the previous chapter.....?
I think its pretty clear that Oda doesn't necessarily believe in cannon fodder. I doubt the New World Captains are cannon fodder (like I before). And yeah they do seem to be pretty prominent figures in the New World, in the area where Whitebeard dominates.

[Which brings me to believe that each Yonkou have the ability to summon pirates outside of their crews to their aid in battle. At first I thought it was only being Whitebeard was the Strongest Man in the World and known The King of the Seas. But if these New World Captains came from Whitebeard's domain then other Yonkou can do the same.]

Crocodile, something tells me Whitebeard was the one who gave me him that scar across his face. When he was speaking of Whitebeard in Impel Down he seemed to have a grudge.
Old 2009-09-14, 12:51   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Yeah, I thought that Crocodile would want to be a little more sneaky or at least cautious in his assault on Whitebeard, since he is very calculating and not the reckless type of fighter.
Old 2009-09-14, 13:52   Link #12
Prestige

Epic spoilers, this will be legendary chapter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Yeah, I thought that Crocodile would want to be a little more sneaky or at least cautious in his assault on Whitebeard, since he is very calculating and not the reckless type of fighter.
Crocodile has not shown to be sneaky as person, I dont think Crocodile fears others so much, and guy falled from sky and everyone was staring them, hes cower was blown up there.

And Whitebeard is in middle of battle and Crocodile seems to had grudge against WB for a long long time and he finally got oppurtunity for revenge...

Awesome chapter, I cant wait to see pics about reactions, but I want to wait for full chapter release...
Old 2009-09-14, 14:18   Link #13
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
This is absolutely crap...A chapter full of reactions.
Luffy says whatever he wants and does whatever he wants, able to talk to Whitebeard like that? Whitebeard can't come back with a witty come back to shut this kid up or give him a strong pimp hand? I just lol'd at Luffy telling Whitebeard he will save Ace his own way as if Whitebeard is completely irrelevant in this thang. Screw the reactions, this is a punk who is no threat at all, KIZARU is the only one with the right idea...Sending all these suckas to hell.

Weak chapter, nothing more but Luffy strawhat riding.
Old 2009-09-14, 14:57   Link #14
'Pryde
I am better than you

props to crocodile calling out whitebeard like its nothing what a badass
Old 2009-09-14, 15:09   Link #15
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
To bad Luffy said "no," cause "I am the only character here." Croc has and continues to lose all points.^^

Thanks Oda.
Old 2009-09-14, 16:02   Link #16
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
This is absolutely crap...A chapter full of reactions.
Luffy says whatever he wants and does whatever he wants, able to talk to Whitebeard like that? Whitebeard can't come back with a witty come back to shut this kid up or give him a strong pimp hand? I just lol'd at Luffy telling Whitebeard he will save Ace his own way as if Whitebeard is completely irrelevant in this thang. Screw the reactions, this is a punk who is no threat at all, KIZARU is the only one with the right idea...Sending all these suckas to hell.

Weak chapter, nothing more but Luffy strawhat riding.
We have no idea how close luffy is to WB , so even if he wanted to strong pimp hand him he might not be able to reach. Of coruse luffy is going to say what ever he want .
He wants to be Pirate king you can't be pirate king being a bitch . Plus luffy not able to beat any of the big boys but the WG does see luffy as a threat .
Old 2009-09-14, 16:21   Link #17
Rurik
Golden

^ Why do you bother?, you know that is part of His routine to call a One Piece Chapter weak.
Old 2009-09-14, 16:28   Link #18
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
^ Why do you bother?, you know that is part of His routine to call a One Piece Chapter weak.
Check His routine to call a Bleach chapter great.
Old 2009-09-14, 16:30   Link #19
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
We have no idea how close luffy is to WB , so even if he wanted to strong pimp hand him he might not be able to reach. Of coruse luffy is going to say what ever he want .
He wants to be Pirate king you can't be pirate king being a bitch . Plus luffy not able to beat any of the big boys but the WG does see luffy as a threat .
Uh... Luffy is strong and still getting stronger. Usually his first fight with a superior foe doesn't go too well, which makes him grow. Then he comes back even stronger and straight up fair and square beat them. Oh, and Luffy didn't beat any of the big boys? Where have you been? F'ed the marines up over and over, well I guess that doesn't count since I'm not naming individuals. But um, did Luffy not beat 2 Warlords? I don't know of any other super rookie who did or can.

ANYWAYS, dropping that. I can't wait for this chapter! It's going to be awesome! It killed me last week knowing it wasn't coming out until this week...
Old 2009-09-14, 16:41   Link #20
Kona
Banned

I hope you keep underestimating Buggy The Clown..
Closed Thread