AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Which order do you think is the best way to watch?
As aired on T.V. 254 53.93%
Chronological order 139 29.51%
"Ep 0" first, then Chronological order 58 12.31%
Random Order 12 2.55%
Some different order (please specify) 8 1.70%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-01, 09:49   Link #21
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener
oh, and I have to remind you, xris:

not EVERYONE like offical aired order, and it is not intended(DVDs don't use it), we have the right to dislike it and yell it out loudly.
I agree with you in that you may watch it in any order and you may have any preference you wish over such a matter. I thought my use of "IHHO" and smilies over the "rigging" of the vote order would make it clear that I was just expressing my own opinion over what I thought would be an obvious order for newcomers to watch.
Quote:
but IMHO the obvious answer is really the same with any show, that is watch it in order as was intended (i.e. the order it was aired).
The question (to me at least) is the same for any show if someone asks "Which order should I watch the episodes in", and that the obvious order is the same as that in which they aired.

Now, how people actually watch it is entirely up to them and they may take the various recommendations and make use of them how they want

As to what will happen to this thread. It would be a shame to see it removed (or even locked) since there have been some actual discussion, even if it's just over semantics. Currently I would prefer to just delete the current poll and replace it with the suggestion made by C.A.. I may go ahead and do this but before the poll is opened again the first post needs to be modified and corrected (otherwise the confusion will continue).
Old 2006-09-01, 12:34   Link #22
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Changes now made so the poll is now open again. All of you who voted previously (10 people), please cast your vote again if you so wish (all previous votes have been lost).

My views?
First time round, I would recommend watching in the order as aired on T.V. I thought it was a interesting idea to rearrange the episodes and fits so well with the Suzumiya Haruhi experience.

As mentioned by restrain in an earlier post, if you wish to analyse the series then certainly the chronological order might help out sorting out some of the confusion, and it gives an extra reason to watch the entire series again. I'll certainly consider watching it in this order next time.

Is there a better order? Who knows, it's down to personal preference but if there was one change I might consider is that of the first episode. I've known a few people who have been put off by the first episode and I can understand a few reasons why that might be. An alternative might have been to show one of the "explanation" episodes first, so you are given some answers before you fully know the questions.

But for me, the series was original and fresh in it's own right and the seemingly random order of episodes added to the overall flavour of the series, and one that fitted very well. It has made the Spring 2005 seasons one of my all time favourites in terms of new shows and I expect I will look back at this time as a highlight in anime.
Old 2006-09-01, 13:12   Link #23
mugener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Perhaps you should explain why you didnt like it.
Guess I am the person who want to set basic things clear as soon as possible.

I have an small discussion with John from Animenation, and he metioned that
if the show is in Chronological order, the second half of the series would be terribly dull compared to the first half.

The question is, why does anime must have big event to be it's ending?

In my view, ep9 is better then ep14 for an ending (and it IS the ending),
it's just like what life should be, and I like this feeling.

With first six eps in Chronological order, I can quickly get along with chars,
and enjoy the adventure with them in rest eps, even if those events are not big.

When I watch it in air order, I always find that there is an distance keep me away to get close the chars, and I don't like this distance, not at all.

So, to sum it up, Chronological order is what I strongly recommand for, no matter
you are an new comer, or want to watch this show again.

Old 2006-09-01, 16:55   Link #24
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

I'd have to recommend Kyon's order on first viewing. On second viewing, I'd STILL recommend Kyon's order. It's a really unique way of presenting a story and with a second watch in the same order, all the easter eggs and jokes that may have been missed the first time through comes floating up ot the surface (especially the case of Asahina Mikuru no Boken ep 00). Only after that, I'd recommend watching it in Haruhi's order as I find episode 09/14 an overall better ending than 14/06.

For the first timers, I simply tell them to stick it through as questions may not be answered within the episode. So far that has gotten me 5 converts, so I can safely say that advice is working
Old 2006-09-01, 17:41   Link #25
Bloodseeker

Dammit! I accidentally clicked on "chronological order".
Old 2006-09-01, 17:49   Link #26
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
IMO the best order would be kyon's...this is because it was totally unique and the 00 ep did catch my attention pretty bad and also the actual ending does kinda sux so watching in chronological order might be a letdown...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-09-01, 19:57   Link #27
Animexcel

pardon me, but this is kind of lame. I'd watch it the way they presented it.
Old 2006-09-01, 20:59   Link #28
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel
pardon me, but this is kind of lame. I'd watch it the way they presented it.
Such misleading propaganda

@mods/admins: Can you mark "DVD order" or something along those lines where it is appropriate?
Otherwise people will just keep bombarding with the "the way it was intended" argument, and with the DVD comming up said argument is only half of the truth.

That said, I had my own custom order I followed, and of course I can recommend it to everyone new to Haruhi.

(11) (1) (2) (7) (3) (9) (10) (8) (4) (5) (12) (13) (14) (6)

^The numbers by themselves are from the chronological order, making my order a sort of hybrid between broadcast and something else
( meaning TVep1=(11) TVep2=(1) TVep3=(2) TVep4=(7) )

Translating my order numbers into episodes broadcasted, it would be like this:
TVep1, TVep2, TVep3, TVep4, TVep5, TVep6, TVep8, TVep7, TVep10, TVep13, TVep12, TVep11, TVep9, Tvep14

Last edited by Arimfe; 2006-09-01 at 21:13.
Old 2006-09-01, 22:23   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<shrug> I like watching it in Haruhi order, then Kyon order.. then take a break and start again
Old 2006-09-01, 22:43   Link #30
i0td

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
I'd have to recommend Kyon's order on first viewing. On second viewing, I'd STILL recommend Kyon's order. It's a really unique way of presenting a story and with a second watch in the same order, all the easter eggs and jokes that may have been missed the first time through comes floating up ot the surface (especially the case of Asahina Mikuru no Boken ep 00).
Strongly agree. By watching it through the Kyon timeline, you will be able to pick up many of the hints and foreshadowing that was present in this series. In addition, it's just a lot more fun to watch everything play out the way it does the way the story is presented. If you are only interested in the brunt of the story dealing with Haruhi, go with the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya parts I-VI (Haruhi timeline). Of course, if those are the only episodes you are after, you will be depriving yourself of a real treat. So simple conclusion: choose a timeline and enjoy all of this excellent series.
Old 2006-09-01, 23:25   Link #31
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I went 'as aired on tv' because as others have said, you can pick up stuff Kyoani put in the 'later earlier' episodes and point 'em out.

One example I can give is at the end of 'Yuutsu VI' (14/6) there is a scene where the camera is panning through the school courtyard and you can see two girls (one with a guitar) sitting under a tree. With episode 12/12 airing first, you can immediately point out that they are two members of the band that Haruhi helped during the school festival. If they aired the episodes chronologically, would anyone have made that connection?

As for seeing "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina" first, I 'got' that this was a bad student film, and at the same time it was lampooning various anime genres. The brilliance of this episode is shown later when everyone is introduced and the plot is uncovered.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2006-09-02 at 01:46.
Old 2006-09-02, 02:00   Link #32
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi
As for seeing "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina" first, I 'got' that this was a bad student film, and at the same time it was lampooning various anime genres. The brilliance of this episode is shown later when everyone is introduced and the plot is uncovered.
Definitely agree. That episode hooked me to SHnY because up to then, I hadn't laugh so much in a single episode, and I didnt even get any of the anime genres they parodied. It was that funny on its own.
Old 2006-09-02, 02:12   Link #33
mugener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimfe
Such misleading propaganda

@mods/admins: Can you mark "DVD order" or something along those lines where it is appropriate?
Otherwise people will just keep bombarding with the "the way it was intended" argument, and with the DVD comming up said argument is only half of the truth.
I agree.

When Suzumiya Haruhi come to US with DVD box set, most people will watch it
in Chronological order, unless they want to switch DVDs from time to time.

So I'll say that Chronological order will remain when time pass by, since the air order only exist in fansub.

Old 2006-09-02, 02:17   Link #34
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Then it must be a great privilege for the Japanese audience and people who watched the subs every week. For we have experienced first hand the brilliance of the random episode ordering.

If it indeed goes chrono for licensing, I can only think of all the lower ratings and poor popularity the show will recieve. I worry for Haruh-sama.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-09-02, 02:30   Link #35
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugener
Guess I am the person who want to set basic things clear as soon as possible.

I have an small discussion with John from Animenation, and he metioned that
if the show is in Chronological order, the second half of the series would be terribly dull compared to the first half.

The question is, why does anime must have big event to be it's ending?

In my view, ep9 is better then ep14 for an ending (and it IS the ending),
it's just like what life should be, and I like this feeling.

With first six eps in Chronological order, I can quickly get along with chars,
and enjoy the adventure with them in rest eps, even if those events are not big.

When I watch it in air order, I always find that there is an distance keep me away to get close the chars, and I don't like this distance, not at all.

So, to sum it up, Chronological order is what I strongly recommand for, no matter
you are an new comer, or want to watch this show again.

Because an ending would leave the viewer with the last impression, it is something that would want to leave the viewer with a great feeling; a feeling that it was worth it watching the series. In most cases, it would have to be a climax. It needing to have a climax is not always the rule tho. What is a rule is that it must have a gentle but definite conclusion. I don't mean definite conclusion as in their lifes or stories ending, but one in which you understand that the current 'episode' (i.e. the current story) is over for now.

Most times, an ending would also want to make you look forward to the continuation of a series.

Episode 9 (chronologically, 14) was a beautifully dreary episode and certainly a fitting end for a show titled The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; but if the series had ended that way as compared to Episode 14 (chronologically, 6) I would have felt cheated. Linked to the reasons I wrote above; if episode 9 was shown as the ending, it wouldn't have been as much of an 'life goes on ending' as a complete stop; a halt. This isn't like reading the novel where we can pick up the next book after reading one; this is a series and from a series point of view we would have to wait at least a year for it to continue.

I suppose in the end it boils down to personal preference. I can't really understand what you mean by that distance. In anycase, I'm just glad that KyoAni was considerate enough to give a clue to as to its chronlogical order.

Quote:
When Suzumiya Haruhi come to US with DVD box set, most people will watch it
in Chronological order, unless they want to switch DVDs from time to time.
Do you mean its confirmed that the DVDs will be in chrono order? I suddenly feel sad.
Old 2006-09-02, 02:48   Link #36
SnakeLegend
Back Again From Haruhiism

Send a message via MSN to SnakeLegend
As for me, I do recommend everyone watching it at their own way. Everyone's different from one another so its hard to choose which. All i can say is either watch This way or That way first, then you watch the other way too.
Old 2006-09-02, 04:05   Link #37
mugener

Quote:
Do you mean its confirmed that the DVDs will be in chrono order? I suddenly feel sad.
Sorry, pal. I am deadly sure that the Japan DVD set do use Chronological order instead of broadcast order.

If the Origin country's DVD set use Chronological order, I don't see any reason
that US DVD set refuse to use this order.

Old 2006-09-02, 09:46   Link #38
Lost

Noooooooooo~ Anyhow. Serious now. Hmmm.. now I'm very curious. Why exactly would they do that? Has it (this releasing in non-airing order) been done before, or is this a precedent? I don't understand why the DVD would release them in any order except the airing order.

Old 2006-09-02, 10:23   Link #39
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Noooooooooo~ Anyhow. Serious now. Hmmm.. now I'm very curious. Why exactly would they do that? Has it (this releasing in non-airing order) been done before, or is this a precedent? I don't understand why the DVD would release them in any order except the airing order.

But that will be too easy, wouldn't it? If KyoAni was that kind of studio, they wouldn't have bothered to shuffle the airing order to begin with.

And technically, they aren't releasing the DVD in Haruhi(tv airing) order. They are releasing the DVD in Yuki order. The fact that episode 11 was still released first, means Haruhi-order is still not followed. That's why KyoAni changed the previews in the DVD so that Yuki was the one announcing in it.
Old 2006-09-14, 18:26   Link #40
X207
Gamyūsa

just watched 2-3 eps. prefer chronological. haruhi is one weird and cruel person
Closed Thread