AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-14, 17:21   Link #1
Fronzel
Schmuck

Di Gi Charat

Is the original Di Gi Charat not licensed? Having enjoyed the nyo sequel and the manga, I was looking forward to that, but AoD's licensing list doesn't have it there....but a film was....that's odd, a film but not the series....and there aren't any torrents for it on Suki...and AnimeNfo doesn't have anything in the US Distro box, not even fansubs.

Have I missed something and do I look stupid? If it's licensed, why does nothing mention it? If it isn't, where are the fansubs?

I do apoligize if I'm wasting everyone's time.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 04:08   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

First off, when you say sequel... Di Gi Charat Nyo is way back in the line when it comes to the sequels of Di Gi Charat. Di Gi Charat's sequel was Di Gi Charat 2000 Summer Special (SS2K). The sequel to that was the Christmas Special, followed by Spring 2001 (hanami), followed by the Summer Vacation Special (Natsuyasumi). And then there was the Di Gi Charat Movie... all of which preceded Nyo. Not to mention Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat, which, um, sux... (this link will back up what I am saying more or less - [/url]
Some shrine I found.

So maybe you have some catchin' up to do. As far as looking stupid, I have to wonder if you look more stupid asking questions about this show - or if I do KNOWING ALL ABOUT IT ^_^;;;;;;;

Anyway, I severely doubt that all this is gonna get licensed - where's the market? Although maybe you missed Pyoko ni Omakase-pyo (I know I did), which sounds promising and is licensed by Synch-Point just like the Di Gi Charat movie is. The Synch-Point licenses were the only examples I ever heard of regarding anyone in America trying to do anything with Di Gi Charat.

As far as the fansubs are concerned, they are long gone - even among anime fans this just wasn't a big-time title, and they were released before BitTorrent was a going concern. Maybe searching on the web for the titles will get you something, there used to be fansubbed tapes out there. Ganbare.

It's nice to hear from someone who likes this series. I really enjoyed it when it first came out, but the returns on each new title have been smaller and smaller...

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-02 at 06:03.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 07:39   Link #3
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

If you're ever at an anime convention, ask Synch-Point/Broccoli why it isn't licensed.

The short explanation - while some properties, like the movie, Piyoko OVAs, and Panyo^2 have been licensed, others are spread out across so many companies in Japan that getting the license appears to be quite difficult. In some cases, the banks actually hold the licenses instead of the production or television studio...
Old 2004-01-15, 08:04   Link #4
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Not to mention Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat, which, um, sux...
No way! Panyo Panyo rocked my life.

Quote:
Anyway, I severely doubt that this all stuff is gonna get licensed - where's the market?
I am the market.

Quote:
Although maybe you missed Pyoko ni Omakase-pyo (I know I did), which sounds promising and is licensed by Synch-Point just like the Di Gi Charat movie is. The Synch-Point licenses were the only examples I ever heard of regarding anyone in America trying to do anything with Di Gi Charat.
I have yet to see any of the licensed stuff yet, perhaps because I fear it will be anything like the Gamers advert I saw somewhere. Dejiko didn't seem right with the voice actress they gave her...

Quote:
As far as the fansubs are concerned, they are long gone - even among anime fans this just wasn't a big-time title, and they were released before BitTorrent was a going concern. Maybe searching on the web for the titles will get you something, there used to be fansubbed tapes out there. Ganbare.
The only fansubs I've seen for the original series were of a terrible quality, back in the day when episodes had to be under 100Mb.

Quote:
It's nice to hear from someone who likes this stuff. I really enjoyed this show when it first came out, but the returns on each new title have been smaller and smaller...
Thank goodness, I was beginning to think I was the only fan in the world.
Megane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 08:33   Link #5
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megane
No way! Panyo Panyo rocked my life.
Well maybe you won't like the other stuff then, who knows? It had too much story and cuteness for me, I like the old wild shows.
Quote:
I am the market.
Heh, that's all good, Digiko would admire an attitude like that.
Quote:
I have yet to see any of the licensed stuff yet, perhaps because I fear it will be anything like the Gamers advert I saw somewhere. Dejiko didn't seem right with the voice actress they gave her...
If you saw the Summer Vacation Special you would know what American Di Gi Charat is all about ^_^;;;;
Quote:
The only fansubs I've seen for the original series were of a terrible quality, back in the day when episodes had to be under 100Mb.
Jeez, they weren't that bad! The old stuff was captured from fansubbed tapes. You are talking about a show that consisted of some mad scribbling and a lot of people shouting, things going "BOOM!" and the music once in a while, so it's not like a DVD release is gonna reward you with a big fat experience...
Quote:
Thank goodness, I was beginning to think I was the only fan in the world.
Well, if you are the only one who likes a show then it's everyone else who is crazy, right?!

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-02 at 06:05.
Old 2004-01-15, 09:42   Link #6
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Well maybe you won't like the other stuff then, who knows? It had too much story and cuteness for me, I like the old wild shows.
Too much cuteness?! Is such a thing possible? But I think I know what you mean. I also preferred the crazier stuff to pa-pa-pa-panyo-panyo-PA, but I thought PP had its merits.

Quote:
Jeez, they weren't that bad! The old stuff was captured from fansubbed tapes. You are talking about a show that consisted of some mad scribbling and a lot of people shouting, things going "BOOM!" and the music once in a while, so it's not like a DVD release is gonna reward you with a big fat experience...
Hmm, I see your point. But I'd still like DVDs. As long as they were sensible about it and put all the episodes on one disc or something.

Quote:
Well, if you are the only one who likes a show then it's everyone else who is crazy, right?!
So true!
Megane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 21:38   Link #7
Fronzel
Schmuck

Well, the manga was licensed and released, is that a good sign? It's kinda a companion to the anime, too....it mentions the anime....that we American readers probably haven't seen...

The original is only like, 90 minutes long all together, isn't it? 't'd only be a single disc. That's not so risky, is it? But Panyo Panyo was licensed, right? Crazy!

I like th' vicious kyoot.
Old 2004-01-16, 03:55   Link #8
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Quote:
Also, beyond some manga volumes released from Viz and Broccoli Books, there is none out yet.

The actress/singer for Dejiko (at least, the one selected by Anime Gamers USA/Synch-Point/Broccoli US) was chosen by a series of auditions and contests. If memory serves me correctly, the Japanese seiyuu was chosen in the same way. I think she does a great job in the OmochaBox/Anime Gamers USA commercials I've heard her sing/speak on - but you're not obligated to watch the dub if you don't want to. (I'm also not sure if she's actually going to be the actress in the anime - I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.)
Old 2004-01-16, 04:00   Link #9
haren

Panyo Panyo was announced at AKon by ADV

Anime Gamers are set to release the rest of Digi within the next year
haren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 00:40   Link #10
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I love Di Gi Charat ^-^
Panyo is cute but not the best. I love the original crazy stuff LOL. Those Viz mangas r so expencive here in Cnada they r 20 bucks >.< in japan they r like 4 LOL u_u anywho, I couldn't care less if they were dubbed any english dub actor scares me LOL j/k ...some do tho.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 12:33   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Nice to see the show getting some love. If you are looking for some eps, check out this thread.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-02 at 05:56.
Old 2004-01-18, 12:48   Link #12
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
Those Viz mangas r so expencive here in Cnada they r 20 bucks >.< in japan they r like 4 LOL u_u anywho
The part that bothers me the most is that they took the time and effort to make and index at the back of the manga that translates all the sound words, but there are no page numbers.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 13:09   Link #13
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Uhh, if anyone wants to redo this series in high quality, I have the DVDs.
Old 2004-01-20, 10:04   Link #14
Fronzel
Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haren
Panyo Panyo was announced at AKon by ADV

Anime Gamers are set to release the rest of Digi within the next year
(1)I know, that wasn't my question, and (2) really? How do you know this? Where is it said?
Old 2004-01-30, 16:10   Link #15
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Return of Di Gi Charat!

^_^ I am more than delighted to see the original Di Gi Charat again become available to US anime fans. I say "again" because the show was originally available on fansubbed tapes.

The original show is different from the recent offerings in that the episodes are about 5 minutes long and/or they are not aimed at children. IMO this is far superior to the later series.

Di Gi Charat was a late-night short feature aimed at otaku, particularly the denizens of the Gamers shop in Akihabara (Di Gi Charat & friends were created as mascots for the shop). This is the original tale of Digiko and Petiko's arrival on Earth and subsequent misadventures.

Not everyone loved this series when it came out; it is one of those shows that just doesn't appeal to everyone. But there is comedy, great voice acting, lots of parody and the shortest anime OP song I know of - "Only One No. 1" by Okui Masami, which clocks in at 45 seconds!

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-01-30 at 17:37.
Old 2004-01-30, 17:25   Link #16
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
I actually saw it back in early 2001 in RM format and again unsubbed in AVI format.

I was out in Akihabara recently and found the original 16 episodes on DVD for near nothing (less than 1400yen a peice!) which made them an impulse buy.

I really wish Broccoli/Synch Point would release them stateside, but I don't think it's likely (there's nothing that carries, for what are essentially 16 3-5 minute commercials full of insanity!)
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 04:55   Link #17
Fronzel
Schmuck

I was just complaining about the unavailability of such. Yay!
Old 2004-01-31, 14:30   Link #18
SoupForInsanity
Kawaiiiiii

Send a message via AIM to SoupForInsanity Send a message via MSN to SoupForInsanity
oo I was so happy to see this up there!! I love DiGi Charat ^^ I remember seeing some fansubs somewhere once.. but the quality was so bad you could barely see the picture. This was such a pleasant surprise ^^

I love the randomness, hyper, out-there mood the little episodes give you ^^
SoupForInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 14:36   Link #19
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I think Episode 11 is the best-- I'll sub it myself.
Old 2004-02-01, 05:01   Link #20
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The new encodes look really nice ^_^

I haven't seen this in a long time, so I am gonna watch it all over again. I wonder what people who have only seen Panyo Panyo will think of the original series, they're really two completely different shows.

Tags
kemonomimi, shounen