AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2014-06-14, 14:50   Link #53401
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
For starter, don't write 95% of your fic composed purely on dialogue

More on narration and exposition, the environment, participant characters etc.

Also, we're mostly confused because we're not familiar with the cast, but that one is subjective.
Also, don't fall into the trap of "I must make distribution of dialouge and description completely even so I shall alternate every line." Usually, start with a peice of dialouge, then a paragraph or two of description, then dialouge, then some more description of mainly the characters. Rinse and repeat The last two.

If you want more examples, look at any Ray Bradbury story. He would describe the heck out of a place before ANY dialouge.
bitmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 17:05   Link #53402
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

"Oi...what in the world are you girls doing?"

All the girls cringed, frozen where they stood. Even the indomitable Tatenashi felt a sliver of fear from just the tone of voice that was used upon them. They all knew who it was - only one woman alive could make all of them freeze from just her words alone.

"O-Orimura-sensei...!"

The woman made a show of propping an arm up against the wall, her other hand on her hip. "Talk about a haul - I should have been a fisherman," she murmured. "Would you mind telling me why all of you are camped out here in front of our room like this?"

The girls fidgeted for a moment. Since the latest attack on the Academy, Chifuyu arranged to have the room she used while staying at the dorms altered a bit to allow Ichika to stay with her.

~^~

"It can't be helped," she told them with her usual stoic demeanor. "I can't tell you girls the full reason but this is for everyone's sake. Understand this and accept it for now."

Normally, they would have complained despite her explanation but something about her told them that they would be better off just accepting this like she said.

"Of course, Orimura-sensei," Tatenashi gave a respectful nod. She turned and faced the rest of the girls. "You heard her. There's a legitimate reason for this. Orimura-sensei is not by any means trying to steal chances with Ichika-kun away from us."

*PAM*

"Don't say unnecessary things!"

~v~

"Um...can't we...talk to him? Just for a bit?" Lingyin asked in a tiny voice, hiding her body behind Houki as if being behind her would ward off the demon's presence.

"No," came the swift blow to their hearts. She watched them visibly deflate for a moment before she gave a chuckle. Maiden hearts were such fragile things. "Not here anyway. He's doing a chore for me. You can talk to him when he gets back."

"Ah!"

"But not inside this room. He will contact you all when he gets back." The return of the demonic presence caused them to cringe and take a step back as the 1st Gen Brunhilde opened the door and closed it decisively.

There was no way she was going to let them see the place before Ichika had a chance to clean it up. She hurriedly snatched up a bra and panties combo from near the closet corner that was somehow overlooked from this morning. The pattern and print weren't anything to get excited about but those girls' imaginations were faster than an IS core's processing power. She did not want to have to debunk their crazy fantasies - even if she used force. Besides, it was just another excuse to get to see how Ichika acted around her. They were already jealous so why add fuel to the fire? She opened up the closet and froze, a classic twitch developing on her face.

Hanging up in closet was her sheer nightgown and panty set, covered in plastic and a small note with the cartoonish likeness of a certain rabbit on it. Just below and to the right was another familiar image as well. "That little brat!" She eyed the racy underwear set, already debating how to sneak this back out to her home.

She definitely could not let those girls see this.

Spoiler for Due to 'meddling':

Last edited by Tempest35; 2014-06-14 at 19:53.
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 18:37   Link #53403
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

Ah, yes. nothing quite like the rage of chifuyu.
Old 2014-06-14, 20:29   Link #53404
Chevalier
Rhein-kun
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post

All the girls cringed, frozen where they stood. Even the indomitable Tatenashi felt a sliver of fear from just the tone of voice that was used upon them. They all knew who it was - only one woman alive could make all of them freeze from just her words alone.

"O-Orimura-sensei...!"

The woman made a show of propping an arm up against the wall, her other hand on her hip. "Talk about a haul - I should have been a fisherman," she murmured. "Would you mind telling me why all of you are camped out here in front of our room like this?"

The girls fidgeted for a moment. Since the latest attack on the Academy, Chifuyu arranged to have the room she used while staying at the dorms altered a bit to allow Ichika to stay with her.

~^~

"It can't be helped," she told them with her usual stoic demeanor. "I can't tell you girls the full reason but this is for everyone's sake. Understand this and accept it for now."

Normally, they would have complained despite her explanation but something about her told them that they would be better off just accepting this like she said.

"Of course, Orimura-sensei," Tatenashi gave a respectful nod. She turned and faced the rest of the girls. "You heard her. There's a legitimate reason for this. Orimura-sensei is not by any means trying to steal chances with Ichika-kun away from us."

*PAM*

~v~

"Um...can't we...talk to him? Just for a bit?" Lingyin asked in a tiny voice, hiding her body behind Houki as if being behind her would ward off the demon's presence.

"No," came the swift blow to their hearts. She watched them visibly deflate for a moment before she gave a chuckle. Maiden hearts were such fragile things. "Not here anyway. He's doing a chore for me. You can talk to him when he gets back."

"Ah!"

"But not inside this room. He will contact you all when he gets back." The return of the demonic presence caused them to cringe and take a step back as the 1st Gen Brunhilde opened the door and closed it decisively.

There was no way she was going to let them see the place before Ichika had a chance to clean it up. She hurriedly snatched up a bra and panties combo from near the closet corner that was somehow overlooked from this morning. The pattern and print weren't anything to get excited about but those girls' imaginations were faster than an IS core's processing power. She did not want to have to debunk their crazy fantasies - even if she used force. Besides, it was just another excuse to get to see how Ichika acted around her. They were already jealous so why add fuel to the fire? She opened up the closet and froze, a classic twitch developing on her face.

Hanging up in closet was her sheer nightgown and panty set, covered in plastic and a small note with the cartoonish likeness of a certain rabbit on it. Just below and to the right was another familiar image as well. "That little brat!" She eyed the racy underwear set, already debating how to sneak this back out to her home.

Ugh, what part did I just read I really need to erase that
Chevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 22:40   Link #53405
bitmeister
Expert Procrastinator

Oh god.... Prepare for your erasing from the universe, tempest, for you have made ichika too aware, and for orimu-cest.
Old 2014-06-14, 23:02   Link #53406
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post

"O-Orimura-sensei...!"

~^~

*PAM*

~v~

"Ah!"

What the hell did I just read?????
Old 2014-06-15, 02:49   Link #53407
Chevalier
Rhein-kun
*Author

oh wait, I thought Silver-Throne just said you go for wincest
Old 2014-06-15, 03:44   Link #53408
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

Ever thought of a Chifuyu Orimura-Tatsuya Shiba matchup?
Old 2014-06-15, 03:56   Link #53409
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I feel very alienated with today's youth now...
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 04:01   Link #53410
Chevalier
Rhein-kun
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
I feel very alienated with today's youth now...
I still have values, at least I don`t swing that way
Old 2014-06-15, 04:15   Link #53411
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Write whetever you want but don't try too hard to make it fit. At the veyr least, review your own writing. If you can have a beta/proofreader that you TRUST (EG not some dork who's going to try and take over your fic like most beta readers I used to have in the 90's) that's best.

Watch this clip. It's referring to scriptwriting for Doctor Who as opposed to books or other written fiction but it points out two gems:
1.) Majority of dialogue or scenery you write for your story is going to end up cut out or outright dumped. Live with it. You might end up using those bits and pieces in something else, don't try to force it in just because you think it's cool.
2.) The biggest enemy of the writer is a blank sheet. Your dialog may be good but if it's in the wrong scene or no scene at all it falls apart.
http://youtu.be/-UGgKGxL1Qc
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 04:20   Link #53412
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I miss the days when screwing over Tabane's and Izuru's plans were actually good ideas.
Old 2014-06-15, 05:35   Link #53413
False Prophet
Suffer in Lake of Fire

Thanks everyone for your input!

I always wonder why there is no sitcom crossover with IS, except one or two with Doctor Who.
False Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 05:39   Link #53414
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Prophet View Post
I always wonder why there is no sitcom crossover with IS, except one or two with Doctor Who.
- ...why do I get the feeling my fic is one of those two?
Old 2014-06-15, 05:40   Link #53415
demino_hellsin
That one guy

2 things:

1. Doctor Who is a comedy?

2. Mostly because the comedy in IS is painful and I can't imagine any of my favored sitcom crew being serious.
Old 2014-06-15, 05:53   Link #53416
False Prophet
Suffer in Lake of Fire

Well, that is why I use the word "no crossover".

And sitcom cast is never serious.
False Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 05:54   Link #53417
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
1. Doctor Who is a comedy?
- only in the sense that the writing is pretty snappy in most cases. More obvious in Steven Moffat's writing than others (especially apparent if you watch Sherlock). Also, current-gen Doctor Who stories are a bit more self-aware. EG it's not as campy as the older series and at the same time it stays true to the series.

Quote:
2. Mostly because the comedy in IS is painful
- In more ways than one. Usually painful to Ichika, but it's not like it doesn't sting when I watch it, either. In some cases it could use a bit more subtlety.

...I mean seriously. whenever Houki steps into a room, she's always wielding Chekov's Wooden Beat-You-To-Death-Wooden-Sword. Or Laura and the Chekhov's Stab-You-To-Death Knife. And let's not start with Cecilia's Chekhov's Shoot-Em-All Rifle and Rinny's Chekhov's Hulk-Smash-Fist.

...I'd name one for Charlotte but she's carrying a Chekhov's Arsenal of Pain right there.
Old 2014-06-15, 08:18   Link #53418
Ignition Boost

Hello, New here to Animesuki. Just been convinced by a good friend I'mherepresent to try this forum.

I have a question, has anyone tried a male OC story in IS where he plays sort of a support role to Ichika?

Not those that are that becomes the new center or takes over the whole story entirely.
The OC is just a normal boy like Ichika and becomes his wingman and best friend in the academy, comes in makes friends and most importantly weak and inept in the beginning and then slowly progresses with everyone.
Also he builds up his own path and finds love interest outside of Ichika's harem and follows his own unique principles, not like those Gary Stu stories of cliche and typical OC backgrounds.
Ignition Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 08:29   Link #53419
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Yes, someone kinda did

Old 2014-06-15, 08:39   Link #53420
Ignition Boost

Good to know I'm not alone!
It's just that too much OC centric stories become gary stu in the first few chapters.
So I plan to go with the support and best friend type OC in the same level as Ichika.
Ignition Boost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest