AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2012-02-02, 02:41   Link #821
leukrota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I recently watched Akira. As I watched it, a few questions popped into my mind: Could psychic powers in that universe be rated in the Toaru universe? (i.e. Are they level 4? 5?) What about psychic powers in other universes? How would their powers compare to the ones in Toaru?

What do you guys think?
Definitely not level 6, I wouldn't even say an awakened esper.

It makes me think more of how an overloaded level 5 would probably be.

Not that being overloaded would give an especial advantage, as it means losing in control what is gained in power.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 03:46   Link #822
tsunade666

Akira is probably a level 5 though his in the upper ends of it. Firing laser and flying is easy for some level 5.
Old 2012-02-06, 13:13   Link #823
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Lets see, AM actually targets the brain for the memory erase memory is just hold on the brain.

Now lets look at DP, divine punishment must target all the body to depravate it from oxygen, as blood carry oxygen around all the body, which means at some point blood needs to travel around the arm.
Phibrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 15:49   Link #824
ellifeedn
Thinker

When I made my post about Akira, I also meant to talk about another series with psychic powers but forgot it at that moment. Now I remember that it was elfen lied. Boy what a series. I'd say those powers are level 4 or very high 3.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 17:53   Link #825
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
The fact that Diclonii can infect people so that they give birth to more Diclonii probably ensures that it's 4, minimum.

Lucy/Kaede is straight up level 5, since she
Spoiler for manga:
Old 2012-03-02, 22:12   Link #826
jrdragon2006

i think this link can be put here
a real railgun
http://tw.nextmedia.com/applenews/ar...2fcf53ec4f91b6
jrdragon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-02, 23:28   Link #827
judasmartel
*Author

That's how a real life railgun works, by constant attraction and repulsion along the rails. It is the same principle used for MAGLEV trains.

Mikoto on the other hand, makes rails out of thin air for her Railgun. Normally this is not possible because 1) the air is an insulator, and 2) electricity does not arc in a straight line when charged in thin air.

Her Railgun works because 1) she has high voltage potential (to the scale of 1 MegaVolt), thus she can make air conduct electricity (at 300 kV/m) and 2) the projectile she uses does not move in a straight line, but rather in a rotational motion along a straight line.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 05:26   Link #828
Sumeragi
Banned

It's my belief that Mikoto's "Railgun" is closer to a coilgun.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 09:35   Link #829
judasmartel
*Author

You mean the Gauss Rifle?
Old 2012-03-03, 09:59   Link #830
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
You mean the Gauss Rifle?
I hate that term, never mind I don't see a mass-produced rifle version being possible in the near future.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 13:26   Link #831
judasmartel
*Author

Say, guys, I have yet to read the announcement about the Index movie featuring the Sixth Level Five. Of course, there's still the most popular theory that it's Aogami, and I'm sure it would be a nice reveal. However, there are hints that Number Six might actually be a different character.

As we have yet to see what is hir esper ability, one kind of elemental esper ability (I mean the Fire/Ice/Lightning kind, not the periodic table one) I'm intrigued of is the Cyromaster (Ice Master).

Anyone has ideas what can a Cryomaster Esper can do in battle? Well, asides being VERY similar to Sub-Zero, that is.
Old 2012-03-31, 14:57   Link #832
ellifeedn
Thinker

Why do psychics need classical elemental powers? Those are more in tune with the magic users imo. But for the sake of argument , a cryomaster would have a one-hit KO power since lowering a human's (or any animal's) body temperature down 5 to 10 degrees will pretty much subdue them.
Old 2012-03-31, 15:07   Link #833
judasmartel
*Author

Pretty much the same reason why there are Pyromasters (the robber leader in Railgun Episode 1), Aquamasters (those two girls at Tokiwadai), and Aeromasters (Kongou (and briefly Saten), though hers is officially called 'Aero Hand') in AC.
Old 2012-03-31, 17:57   Link #834
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Why do psychics need classical elemental powers?

Because the story already confirms to an extent that they exist?

Let me reverse the question, why not?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 19:15   Link #835
ellifeedn
Thinker

I'll give you water, electricity, and metal, but not the other elements. Let's use fire as an example. In pratically every series with a fire user, the basic power is that the person can produce fire from nothing. With the science side you can bend some laws of physics to various extents, but a golden rule is that you can't create energy from nothing. A person with psychic powers could have the ability to control carbon, separate the carbon from CO2 and have the carbon molecules rub against each other to heat them into fire. I know that sounds complicated, but it's more plausible than "BAM! I can make FIRE with my MIND!"

I hope I'm making sense to you.

Off-topic: Why are psychics called Espers?
Old 2012-03-31, 20:22   Link #836
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
but a golden rule is that you can't create energy from nothing.
I'm going to stop you right there and ask you this question; is electricity energy?

If an Esper can produce electric energy, are you seriously going to argue that they can't produce heat energy?
Old 2012-03-31, 20:25   Link #837
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
I'll give you water, electricity, and metal, but not the other elements. Let's use fire as an example. In pratically every series with a fire user, the basic power is that the person can produce fire from nothing. With the science side you can bend some laws of physics to various extents, but a golden rule is that you can't create energy from nothing. A person with psychic powers could have the ability to control carbon, separate the carbon from CO2 and have the carbon molecules rub against each other to heat them into fire. I know that sounds complicated, but it's more plausible than "BAM! I can make FIRE with my MIND!"
You're making the INCREDIBLY huge assumption that they're getting this energy from nothing.

Allllso Esper powers kind've-sort've blatantly violate physics anyway and the hypocrisy of differentiating Magic and Psionics is one of the running themes of the series.

Quote:
Off-topic: Why are psychics called Espers?
The term is derived from ESP.
Old 2012-03-31, 20:28   Link #838
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Side note: Railgun official translation uses 'psychic' instead of 'esper'.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 21:18   Link #839
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
the hypocrisy of differentiating Magic and Psionics is one of the running themes of the series.
There's the problem. I was looking at it with the mindset that Magic and... Psionics (?) were suppose to be different things (probably the whole "psychics can't use magic" rule) and trying to explain that threw me off. Now that I'm looking at it from a different point of view, I don't have as much of a problem with elemental powers. Those kinds of powers are used a lot though ("stock superpowers" if you will), but that's just me.
Old 2012-03-31, 21:51   Link #840
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
You're making the INCREDIBLY huge assumption that they're getting this energy from nothing.
To put it simply, if Espers get their energy from nowhere, why does Mikoto get tired from overusing her powers?

Quote:
Allllso Esper powers kind've-sort've blatantly violate physics anyway and the hypocrisy of differentiating Magic and Psionics is one of the running themes of the series.
Quote:
There's the problem. I was looking at it with the mindset that Magic and... Psionics (?) were suppose to be different things (probably the whole "psychics can't use magic" rule) and trying to explain that threw me off. Now that I'm looking at it from a different point of view, I don't have as much of a problem with elemental powers. Those kinds of powers are used a lot though ("stock superpowers" if you will), but that's just me.

The differences between magic and esper is the fundamental laws that govern them, both are still classified under supernatural powers, nobody is denying that, but there is no reason why you can't use two different methods to achieve the same result, that is also one of the themes of this series.

Both of you need to think outside of your usual conventions.

Tags
hard science