AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2009-03-19, 06:01   Link #1261
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Send a message via AIM to Benny1 Send a message via MSN to Benny1
Falchion: Nice job editing the color pages, I have no idea how you did it so well so quickly, becuase those pages drove me insane.

A few recommendations, if you don't mind, though? First of all, the font is much better left off as something like Anime Ace or Wild Words, both of which shouldn't be too hard to find online. If you like the use of lowercase and uppercase, then I'd recommend you to laCartoonerie, which is another really nice comic font, but also has the option to use lowercase and uppercase.

For a second thing, you might want to try levelling. If you're using photoshop, http://www.unblessed.net/guide/main.html works quite well, if you're using GIMP, ask me, if you're using something else, I dunno lol.

Good job anyways though, you're freaking ridiculous at color pages, I never could do that D:
Benny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 10:42   Link #1262
Falchion Oni
That one Touhou fanatic..

Heh, thanks Benny ^^; I'm going to try leveling this next chapter as well. I'll check up on those fonts. though! That was my first editing job, so I've still got a lot to learn...

I'm going to stick with the fonts I have for this chapter at least, since I don't want to redo 20+ pages of redrawing and stuff ^^; And I've also dropped the file size a little bit, hopefully it won't be so massive this time :3

edit:

I just found some awesome fonts for the... Usoda style sections XP (when somebody's a bit pissed). Acquaintance and Angry B*tch XP They both fit so perfectly...

Last edited by Falchion Oni; 2009-03-19 at 11:46.
Falchion Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 15:47   Link #1263
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Oh, a third recommendation, then: Use layers. Erase and redraw onto a certain layer, so you have a perfect textless layer, and save PSDs of that. That way, when you need to go back, you don't need to redraw again.

That was your first time doing manga edits, though? Wow, the redrawing is really, really, really good for that.
Old 2009-03-19, 16:36   Link #1264
Falchion Oni

Yep, that was my first ^^; I've done a bit with Photoshop though with coloring and inking my lineart, so it was kind of like that, only with a bit more clone stamping, heh.

And yeah, I use layers, but I don't save the PSD's. I'm not sure why I don't though... I'll keep that in mind as well! Hopefully I'll be able to finish chapter two over spring break (since I got drafted into a spring break mission trip without my consent) since there'll be a lot of time on the bus.
Old 2009-03-24, 18:51   Link #1265
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru

English Cotton Drifting vol.1 cover
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 20:31   Link #1266
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I can't even tell which Sonozaki that is. But then that kind of it the point I suppose.
Old 2009-03-24, 21:01   Link #1267
Renan

I can't stand this. The English releases are to damn slow. By the time Tsumihoroboshi-hen comes out I might not even care anymore. Unless they release now.
Renan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-24, 21:49   Link #1268
Falchion Oni

Compared to other mangas, it's actually not too bad. I'm happy by comparison, since it's about 11 bucks compared to others which are 15-20. My roomate's from Japan and manga over there is equivalent to like 4 bucks XP
Old 2009-03-24, 22:00   Link #1269
Jyuyonban Taichou
Aperture Science Director

Renan, are you saying you'll lose interest in Higurashi? Were thinking about the same franchise here right? Because I don't think it's humanly possible to lose one's passion for this series...
Jyuyonban Taichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 15:15   Link #1270
Renan

I'm saying I'll lose interest in the manga. The series is great, but I know that later on I will think "I really didn't have to read the manga did I?"
Old 2009-03-25, 15:58   Link #1271
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renan View Post
I'm saying I'll lose interest in the manga. The series is great, but I know that later on I will think "I really didn't have to read the manga did I?"
Unless you play the games themselves, the manga holds much more information than the anime arcs.

Since Watanagashi-hen was one of the arcs that was never completely fan-translated, I'll be interested in volume 2.
Old 2009-03-25, 16:59   Link #1272
Renan

I'll definitely get Watanagashi-hen when it comes out, but I'm talking about Tsumihoroboshi-hen which most likely won't come out for about 1 1/2 years. I want my Tsumihoroboshi-hen...
Old 2009-03-27, 14:02   Link #1273
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Higurashi is getting released extremely fast. Just becuase you've read all of the manga scanlated and that gets released often much faster doesn't mean the official releases will >_>.

Higurashi is getting rapid, rapid english releases, it's not worth complaining about.
Old 2009-03-27, 14:37   Link #1274
Renan

Rapid? I don't see it as rapid, sorry. I think it's to slow. It should be one volume a month! Then when the Answers arc come out one every two months just to drag it out a bit.
Old 2009-03-27, 16:13   Link #1275
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Rapid? I don't see it as rapid, sorry. I think it's to slow. It should be one volume a month! Then when the Answers arc come out one every two months just to drag it out a bit.

You REALLY don't get slow volumes are released in Japan, do you?

Even if the entire list of manga take the better part of a decade to release, blame the length of the series. They're basically releasing the volumes at a rate of a chapter every other week, which is VERY efficient for business-world.
Old 2009-03-27, 16:16   Link #1276
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
IIUC, in Japan, the Onikakushi, Watanagashi, and Tatarigoroshi arcs of manga ran simultaneously.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 16:21   Link #1277
Renan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
IIUC, in Japan, the Onikakushi, Watanagashi, and Tatarigoroshi arcs of manga ran simultaneously.
This! This is what I've been meaning to say! Why can't they just release every thing like this!?
Old 2009-03-27, 17:13   Link #1278
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
This! This is what I've been meaning to say! Why can't they just release every thing like this!?
I've the distinct feeling most new North American readers would be even more confused by such a tactic (many would turned off if all the arcs they read had no overall purpose).
Old 2009-03-27, 17:43   Link #1279
Renan

Yeah, but how many North American readers would just pick up Higurashi out of the blue? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FANS! THAT'S THE N1 WAY!
Old 2009-03-27, 20:22   Link #1280
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Yen Press probably doesn't have the manpower to be able to release at that aggressive of a schedule.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote