AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2004-07-05, 10:39   Link #1
Faust

One Piece - Character Discussion - Luffy

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Luffy related.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Luffy fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Luffy the strongest of East Blue?

Hi

I just thought of something and wondered about it:
When the Marine sets Luffy's head bounty at 30.000.000 Berri, didn't one guy say that this is the largest bounty that was ever made from someone in East Blue?

But:
Gold Roger also comes from East Blue (Loguetown) and I would say that his bounty was the highest ever made...

And second: Shouldn't they feel troubled by the D. in Luffy's Name? I can't imagine that they don't know about Rogers "real" name or anything about this mysterious Will of D.

Any ideas?

Last edited by xris; 2008-10-26 at 13:59.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:24   Link #2
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The Shark guy was on a quest to rule the East blue. He was considered a formidable evil-pirate who eventually would have set his plan into motion of domination of East blue. Luffy managed to disrupt his thinking by beating him into bloody tuna and was able to leave a negative impression at the same day on the bribe-taking Marine officer who probably had to swim all the way to the next marine headquarters. With all that unwanted swimming the marine officer might have wanted to indulge his grudge against the friendly pirate gang by recommending a high bounty on the captain of that friendly pirate gang. So I suppose Luffy is the strongest at this time if bounty is the measuring stick for strength. Vicious should be able to clarify this better.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:57   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

His first bounty was because of a grudge that corrupt marine had against him. The second time it was cause he beat one of the Shirabase. So the first one was based on hate, the second on his apparent strength. Heck, I could easily get a $100m beli bounty on my head easy if I had smoked crock like that.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 13:48   Link #4
Faust

@LR and monir
Uhm, my question wasn't "Why did Luffy get this bounty"...

I mean, in contrast to Gold Roger why did they say that there was never such a high bounty for a pirate from East Blue?

And come to think about it, even Mihawk says that East Blue is the weakest ocean in the world. But how can you say that if East Blue was able to create the Pirate King?
Old 2004-07-05, 14:53   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, east blue probubly produces the fewest strong pirates. However, the few that do come out of there who are strong are usually REALLY strong. So that statement can still be true given how few strong pirates emerge from there. I think also the total bounty on all pirates in east blue is smaller than any other ocean too.

Side note too: Thinking about how big the bounties on each pirate is and given how many pirates there are out there, if every single pirate were turned in for the reward money, the world government would go broke. However, I do suspect that the world government sets those bounties only expecting to pay out on maybe 1% of them. The rest they expect to never have to pay because the pirates will either never be caught or someone (be it a marine or another pirate) will kill them off in pursuit of that bounty.
Old 2004-07-05, 23:17   Link #6
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
@LR and monir
Uhm, my question wasn't "Why did Luffy get this bounty"...
Well, I did say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble me
So I suppose Luffy is the strongest at this time if bounty is the measuring stick for strength.
The title of this thread "Luffy the strongest of East Blue?" suggested that I should elaborate on how Luffy had that considerable bounty on his head before I answered any question. I wanted to establish if Luffy really deserved that bounty.
Quote:
And second: Shouldn't they feel troubled by the D. in Luffy's Name?
Question of the day. Why? Because they have the same middle initial? Surely the Japanese do not identify kins/blood-relations with middle initial. Beside, if their middle name sounds as bad as mine I would surely like to hide it in initial, i.e Gold Donkey Rogers and Monkey Duck Luffy.

Note: Those middle names were just crude examples and no way draws any parallelism to my middle name.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 07:45   Link #7
HAHAHA
Rules at Life

Send a message via AIM to HAHAHA
Did it ever specifically say that Gold Roger was from East Blue? Because that's not something I specifically remember. It's perfectly conceivable that he came to Logue Town before heading off to the Grand Lind, as that seems to be a fairly common occurrance. And we don't even really know anything about the bounty system and when it started. Bounties may have increased since the dawn of the Pirate Age, or something like that. So I think there are many possibilities that have yet to be revealed.
HAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-06, 08:09   Link #8
Faust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHAHA
Did it ever specifically say that Gold Roger was from East Blue?
He was born in Loguetown, that is a fact mentioned in the series.

Quote:
Question of the day. Why? Because they have the same middle initial?
Yes.
I don't know how it's in Japan, but is this really important for One Piece (And YES, I do know that animes are made in Japan, but nevertheless...)?

I mean, Gol D. Roger, Marshall D. Teach, Monkey D. Luffy... i can't imagine that the marine doesn't recognize the resemblances (or they don't know the real names of the first two or about the "Will of D." ...).

Quote:
Bounties may have increased since the dawn of the Pirate Age, or something like that.
Hum, ok, that's an argument
Old 2004-07-06, 09:14   Link #9
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
I think that maybe Luffy has the highest starting bounty at 30 million beli. Obviously Gold Rogers had the highest bounty after he got ONE PIECE so maybe his starting bounty wasn't as high. Plus you gotta account for inflation and all you know. A million beli in Gold Roger's time is probably worth 4 million beli in Luffy era you know... Incidentally, does anybody know how much Gold Rogers's final bounty was? And who caught him?!
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 12:44   Link #10
freedom
gomu gomu no baka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust
Hi

I just thought of something and wondered about it:
When the Marine sets Luffy's head bounty at 30.000.000 Berri, didn't one guy say that this is the largest bounty that was ever made from someone in East Blue?

But:
Gold Roger also comes from East Blue (Loguetown) and I would say that his bounty was the highest ever made...

And second: Shouldn't they feel troubled by the D. in Luffy's Name? I can't imagine that they don't know about Rogers "real" name or anything about this mysterious Will of D.

Any ideas?
1) There has never been a bounty mentioned for Gol D. Roger, only assumptions. My guess on this is that at the time he became the pirate king, pirates were very rare and bounties probably didn't exist yet, after all, the pirate age started after Roger died. My thoughts on the bounties.

2) This "Will of D." thing is still a mystery as far as I see it, and Robin has been the only one to mention it so far. This could have been something she picked up while searching for the True History and may not be common knowledge.
Old 2004-07-07, 18:20   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I don't think they were nessisarily rare, but there were far fewer "weak" pirates, and a whole freaking heck of a lot less lamers than there are now. From what I've gathered, there were no bounties initially, but as some really, really strong pirates began to emerge bounties were set by the world government on only the strongest. Whitebeard and Gol D. Roger were like the two biggest at the time with many others quite a ways below those two. If you remember, Whitebeard was the only one to ever "tie" with Gol D. Roger and zero people ever beat him. So that tells me he was either major league strong, or all the other pirates were well below his level.

Now in the pirate age it seems like every 5th person wants to be a pirate. Heck, look at the pirates race. That ought to be the first clue in and of itself.
Old 2004-07-07, 18:35   Link #12
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Something to add, the bounties for the giant pirates Dori and Brogi are over 100 years old.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 15:06   Link #13
freedom
gomu gomu no baka

good point secca, I completely forgot about those guys.

I'm not sure the pirate race is an accurate look at the number of pirates simply b/c this is from one of the movies and not the manga, but I'll agree that they are indeed alot of pirates now.
Old 2006-11-03, 18:43   Link #14
Rageaholic01
Kaizoku

Has Luffy actually gotten stronger?

Well i was just thinking about stuff and i came about the thought of whther or not luffy has actualy gotten stronger. I mean if i look back at his previous boss fights, he pretty much always finishes off the boss with punches and ordinary moves like bazzoka. I don't know how to use spoiler tags so i'll use white font.

Spoiler:
I know about gear 2 and 3 but if we take it out of the equation because it is a technique and he hasnt fully mastered it yet, then has he really gotten stronger. He mainly beats people by punching the crap out of them. In Crocodile's case, he just kept on punching for what must've been a long time in the history of gattling gun. Against Eneru he punched him with his golden ball thing. I mean Zoro learnt how to cut steel so i would say that is getting stornger but i can't see much in Luffy's case.

So could anyone clear this up?
Rageaholic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-03, 19:53   Link #15
matsuno

Well, the most obvious showing of Luffy's progression is his dealing with Bellamy.
The Man was far superior as a fighter to what any of his East Blue opponents, and he finished him with one punch.

Luffy was trained extensively for 10 years (from when Shanks left the village [and seemingly even before that] to the start of the story}. As such, he built up most of his strength and speed then, and has been continually experimented with different attack styles, trying to perfect his use of his powers.

An example of this is him seeing how a pinwheel attack he used on the seacow in the arlong park arc. As such, we havent seen him return to that attack, with justification on having learned its major weakness.
matsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 01:23   Link #16
CrumCon

You have to think like this:

Luffy beats eneru, mostly because he is a rubber man, since electricity cannot hurt him.

against Crocodile, he punched him while making his fist wet with his own blood, since croc's weakness is water or somthing liquid.. luffy beats him using this strategic. Luffy cannot beat him by just punching and kicking him. even if he'd know the gear 1 and 2.. he couldnt have beat crocodile if he doesnt know his weakness.
CrumCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 07:03   Link #17
S_C_L-1

technically, with gear 2, he could.

there seems to be a slight delay in the transformation of logia users into their element.

i would say he has grown stronger, but not in a brute strength kind of way.

in any martial art, you become alot stronger with technique than you do muscle.

simply creating a new move can be considered an adition to his strength.

or were u actually reffering to his brawn rather than his prowess?
S_C_L-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 07:36   Link #18
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
yeah, for sure he graw stronger .. and he is still growing with each arc..

if he fought anyone he fought before he can defeat them easily and fast ... well u can remove Ao kiji from this. since he didn't beat him
airsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 11:34   Link #19
matsuno

^ Well I can think of a few ideas on how to handle Aokigi, but the true conundrum so far is Smoker. How does one solidify smoke so as to actually connect and make any amount of damage on him, other than surrounding him with seastone?

I guess Aokiji could be called Smoker's Natural ennemy in that freezing the smoke would be the only realistic possibility of those we have seen. For instance, Enel would not likely have any effect on Smoker, and Ace's fire punch would also likely do little to nothing.
matsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-04, 13:11   Link #20
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuno View Post
^ Well I can think of a few ideas on how to handle Aokigi, but the true conundrum so far is Smoker. How does one solidify smoke so as to actually connect and make any amount of damage on him, other than surrounding him with seastone?

I guess Aokiji could be called Smoker's Natural ennemy in that freezing the smoke would be the only realistic possibility of those we have seen. For instance, Enel would not likely have any effect on Smoker, and Ace's fire punch would also likely do little to nothing.

I was thinking maybe wind could be a natural enemy to smoke.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote