AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-07, 10:36   Link #81
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well after seeing last night on sci fi since now it's 7 years later it's quite ok.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2008-10-09, 01:22   Link #82
Saki_chan

I have mixed feelings about this dub. On the one hand, Kamina's VA is annoying. I guess that wouldn't be as terrible if I didn't think so much of the anime hinged on Kamina being AWESOME
Spoiler:
But I do like Yuri Lowenthal, and while I think he's kind of annoying now, I also think Simon's really annoying at the moment, so he'll probably be better once Simon grows up and stops being retarded. Yoko's VA (I forget her name), like always, is just okay. She's not mind-blowing, but she's not terribly interesting, either. I do like Viral's VA, though, so that's a plus.

(*Dodges a flock of teal deer*)

I haven't seen enough of the series to hear Nia's voice, though. Does anybody know how many episodes are out?
Old 2008-10-09, 12:08   Link #83
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki_chan View Post
I have mixed feelings about this dub. On the one hand, Kamina's VA is annoying. I guess that wouldn't be as terrible if I didn't think so much of the anime hinged on Kamina being AWESOME
Spoiler:
But I do like Yuri Lowenthal, and while I think he's kind of annoying now, I also think Simon's really annoying at the moment, so he'll probably be better once Simon grows up and stops being retarded. Yoko's VA (I forget her name), like always, is just okay. She's not mind-blowing, but she's not terribly interesting, either. I do like Viral's VA, though, so that's a plus.

(*Dodges a flock of teal deer*)

I haven't seen enough of the series to hear Nia's voice, though. Does anybody know how many episodes are out?
18 currently; Sci-Fi channel just started the 2nd part of the series.
Old 2008-10-18, 13:37   Link #84
Traece
:cool:

Personally I haven't had many issues with the voice actors altogether.

Sadly, I also haven't seen as many episodes as I would've liked so I only have partial knowledge of the story. However, I still know what they sound like and I think they could be a lot worse.

Though, Kamina is dead for a reason. A 'good' reason...

Nia however sounds fantastic (if my memory serves me right). Her voice manages to fit her very well somehow, both in the first and second parts of this show. In earlier episodes when she has her less developed voice it manages to suit her and avoid being annoying and cringe-worthy. Later episodes when she has a more developed voice, it still manages to fit her character and be deeper, while still being feminine.

Or something like that...
Old 2008-10-25, 23:07   Link #85
RisArk

That's because Nia has a completely different VA after the time-skip
Old 2008-10-28, 20:06   Link #86
rpgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
That's because Nia has a completely different VA after the time-skip
Got that right and it is none other than Bridget Hoffman, who is the VA to have a wide range and selection of voices (makes it very hard to tell what she voices). She also had numerous aliases to go by and she's probably paid very well compared to other VAs. Watched 21 and 22 on Sci-Fi and it is awesome. Hadn't watch much due to work, but the series is pretty funny and interesting.
Old 2008-10-29, 04:49   Link #87
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I still like the original japanese audio best, but I thought Nia and Simon's voice actors did a good job.

The main disappointments for me were Kamina and Lord Genome. Kamina didn't sound old enough to me and Genome wasn't nearly as viscerally intimidating and frightening as in the japanese audio version.

Viral and Leeron were also a bit different from what I had expected, but they weren't too bad, considering how tough it would be to copy those specific voices.
Old 2008-11-10, 21:41   Link #88
sonicspin
キョン子主義
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to sonicspin
Just a reminder: Sci-Fi channel will be airing the series finale tonight.
Old 2008-11-11, 00:23   Link #89
KickHopper
[Never Give Up]
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to KickHopper Send a message via MSN to KickHopper
Was it just me or did they cut out ALOT of scenes?

[R.I.P Lisa Chung : A Truly Remarkable Person.]
Old 2008-11-11, 00:39   Link #90
ChibiToon

Nope... they cut alot of scenes.... stupid commercial breaks...

For a second there, I actually thought they were going to cut out the epilogue. x.x

For the last couple of episodes.... I was mad that they changed Viral's discription of his dream from "sweet" to "sappy". Sure, a more manly man would say that.. but "sweet" just made the scene more.... fangirly. LOL! XD

I DID very VERY much like the fact that they kept "Tengen Toppa". THANK YOU WRITERS!

Overall.... I give the dub 7 out of 10. Nice work, guys! *claps*

(Just don't pick the SciFi channel next time. >.>;;; )

CT
Old 2008-11-11, 00:45   Link #91
rpgman1

Same here. At least the series ended and we did get closure. Now Gundam 00 S1 will be replacing Gurren Lagann next Monday.
Old 2008-11-11, 00:49   Link #92
@Sphere@
Tsubaki-Sensei

Watched the finale tonight myself..and i believe they did a pretty good job, but what i definitely say is that this series is dvd worthy. I give the english dub a 8.9 =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
Same here. At least the series ended and we did get closure. Now Gun dam 00 S1 will be replacing Gurren Lagann next Monday.
It will? Sounds awesome, and since i have'nt even watched the fansubs of this yet..that makes it even better.

-Sphere

Last edited by @Sphere@; 2008-11-11 at 01:00.
Old 2008-11-11, 18:24   Link #93
skyman747

Could anyone fill me in on what scenes they skipped in the dub? Forgot all about it.

I really wish that this dub was shown on [as], but judging as how they have now changed it so anime takes back-seat to american stuff, don't see much making it's way there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon View Post
The whole "see-mon" thing kills it dead for me.
I agree
Old 2008-11-11, 18:45   Link #94
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

While watching the last three episodes, I couldn't help but think about the thoughts of average sci-fi channel viewers taking in the Gainax mindscrew.
Old 2008-11-11, 20:25   Link #95
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

People who cry about The English voice acters suck compared to the Japanese. Those people are brain dead... Why Compare two totaly diffrent Languages?

Sometimes its not the VA but the Translation.

the last few episodes were awesome and IMHO better than the japanese version, I watched it on my 37inch HDTV with Surround sound
Old 2008-11-12, 00:43   Link #96
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
I just keep wondering how much better the GL airing would of been handled if it was on Adult Swim. Oh well, just give me the DVDs.

So...many...commercials...
Old 2008-11-12, 04:22   Link #97
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
I just keep wondering how much better the GL airing would of been handled if it was on Adult Swim. Oh well, just give me the DVDs.

So...many...commercials...
It would also air at 5:00 AM or at best 2:00 AM.

I would rather have the earlier time and worst presentation than a better presentation at an ungodly time.

Gurren Lagann is easily one of the best dubs I have ever seen Yuri, Adam, Sam, and the rest of the cast repeatly hit the scenes right out of the park whether it was Kamina's deaths, Rossiu trying to kill himself or even the Anti Spiral King raging against Simon they just kept it going with some of the best VA work I have ever seen.

Its the equal of Cowboy Beebop, Outlaw Star, FLCL, and Fullmetal Alchemist.
Old 2008-11-12, 16:19   Link #98
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
It would also air at 5:00 AM or at best 2:00 AM.

I would rather have the earlier time and worst presentation than a better presentation at an ungodly time.

Gurren Lagann is easily one of the best dubs I have ever seen Yuri, Adam, Sam, and the rest of the cast repeatly hit the scenes right out of the park whether it was Kamina's deaths, Rossiu trying to kill himself or even the Anti Spiral King raging against Simon they just kept it going with some of the best VA work I have ever seen.

Its the equal of Cowboy Beebop, Outlaw Star, FLCL, and Fullmetal Alchemist.
oh god, the English Anti Spiral's Infinity Big Bang Storm was Epicly epicer than the Japanese version actually the Anti Spiral dude was way better than the japanese VA.
Old 2008-11-12, 20:38   Link #99
longreach

Anti Spiral's "nononononononoNO!" was the best. Truely he did really do a good job.
Old 2008-11-12, 20:45   Link #100
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
oh god, the English Anti Spiral's Infinity Big Bang Storm was Epicly epicer than the Japanese version actually the Anti Spiral dude was way better than the japanese VA.
Ha and I actually disliked the Anti-Spiral's dub voice. He didn't sound creepy enough to me.

Although overall I thought the dub was very good I give it an 8/10.

In the end I think my favorite dub voices were Yoko, Genome, Viral and Leeron out of main characters.

Although I was very pleased for the most part with Simon and Nia as well.
Closed Thread