AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-18, 22:06   Link #1041
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I'm honestly leaning in that direction too. Its the irony of the setting, that its the people in legal business and trade that do all the underworld dealings better, ne?

/shameless-self-plug
Old 2012-02-18, 22:10   Link #1042
molitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Judging from early comments about this episode in this thread, it seems that's what Crunchyroll's initial translations were, as sad as that is. **** just copies CR's subs word-for-word, as far as I can tell. That's the entire purpose of the group. They don't consider it their business how wrong those subtitles might be.

Heh. I'd bet on the yacht club, too. Those girls have promise.
Yeah I subscribe to Crunchy Roll but like the fonts usually better on ****Subs. But yeah your right I do not know how either one of the two can get it so wrong.. ugg.. the name they even sub it to is horrid.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-02-19 at 10:31. Reason: Let's not mention sub groups in connection with a licensed anime...
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 00:11   Link #1043
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
That was just weird with that sub group, but I don't blame them since it was CR's fault.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 02:17   Link #1044
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
On that note, the Kurihara's ship isn't spelled the way Barbarossa would be spelled, even if you like the name... there's a clear long U in there, and no short O...
When I looked at Enzo's blog, in the review for this episode, there is a screen cap that has the Kurihara ship as the "Balarusa". I've seen Crunchyroll have the ship as the "Barbalusa". It's not unreasonable to figure that the Italian name got changed slightly when trying to convert it to Japanese. But I'll defer to you since you seem to actually know Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
QFT there. Regardless of the purpose of the boarding action, getting into slack security/tactical habits is extremely foolish. Particularly with all the grief the crew is giving Marika about the professionalism of her piracy (and yes, she does need to develop her skills, but even so), that sticks out like a sore thumb.

(Honestly, I can't shake the idea that if you gave Jenny and the Yacht Club five years' worth of training and real-world experience, they'd take the Bentenmaru's crew out behind the barn for an old-fashioned whipping in any direct confrontation.)
I somehow hope that Marika just lets that happy-go-lucky, ditzy mask go for a minute, and just reams out whomever is charge of security for a terrible lapse like that. I think Kane and the crew of the Bentenmaru may owe the Princess some thanks for exposing such a crucial vulnerability in their security. Then again, if the Yacht Club can momentarily detect the Bentenmaru on radar, I suppose Kane and Misa really need to whip the crew into shape or perhaps Marika should take some initiative in this. They are essentially the space naval reserves after all.

I forgot to mention earlier how I like that we get to see little bits of Coorie's personality and it was interesting how she said the Bentenmaru's computers are much better than the mass-produced ones the Corback-class vessals have(and how there is so much sensory data, it would take all of their processing power just to find them). That and her snacking while she does EW. I half wondered if her "Kat Marika" was a quirky verbal tic and not a typo(It could have been a typo given those other bad subtitles). Luca is certainly vague and an oddball.

And I also think that Jenny and the Yacht Club would make a great crew for the Bentenmaru if they didn't wind up joining another crew and seriously giving the Bentenmaru a run for their money. Lynn would certainly be great as the Electronic Warfare officer.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 02:48   Link #1045
molitar

I would believe the ship is properly titled Barbarossa? The pirate ship appears to be named after the meaning in Italian as Red Beard. Not only that it's the name of the famous Redbeard pirate. Or in Turkish spelled Barbaros. So again Cruncyroll appears to have majorly failed on the spelling.
Old 2012-02-19, 03:02   Link #1046
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
I would believe the ship is properly titled Barbarossa? The pirate ship appears to be named after the meaning in Italian as Red Beard. Not only that it's the name of the famous Redbeard pirate. Or in Turkish spelled Barbaros. So again Cruncyroll appears to have majorly failed on the spelling.
Barbarossa would make sense given that the younger and more successful of the brothers that were called "Red Beard" by Western Europeans was made Admiral for his contributions to making the Ottoman Empire a major naval power in Europe during the sixteenth century.

Fun fact: Both of the men who would be called "Barbarossa" were born on the what-is-now-Greek island of Lesbos.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 03:51   Link #1047
Kyuu
=^^=

Oh Chiaki...

==

As for this Bentenciary thing - or however you spell it -- yea, it was... sorta bothersome... considering how they obviously said "Bentenmaru"....

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-02-19 at 10:33. Reason: Remember, this is a licensed anime...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 07:31   Link #1048
ookamigirl

Schoolwork & pirating is not that easy to manage.
She sure has a lot of willpower to try and keep both worlds.
At least she's a pretty talented pirate LoL

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 07:47   Link #1049
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I felt a bit cheated that last week's preview was just one big fake out. In the end, it's probably for the best though. It wouldn't have felt right for Marika to be thrown into that kind of fights so soon. She needs to gradually learn her job and get used to her new dual life.

Chiaki was as cute as ever. She just can't be honest about her feelings, and I love her for that. She'd rather die than admit she likes Marika
Old 2012-02-19, 08:03   Link #1050
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She'd rather die than admit she likes Marika
And that's makes her all the more adorable.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 08:19   Link #1051
JediNight
キズランダム

I had a feeling we would be dumping the happy-go-lucky "Pirates of the Caribbean Ride" jobs for something more serious eventually. Looks like it may be happening sooner than I thought with the Princess being a stowaway and possibly getting asylum on Sea of the Morningstar.

Possibly the Empire will demand they turn her over and if the planet refuses they end up fighting them?
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 09:00   Link #1052
molitar

The princess is probably in trouble and the whole thing about paying double and such was to draw a pirate quickly into a show.. As it was a staged piracy there guards would be down a bit.. throw them off with the double surrender and such and carefully hack the ship security and get her on board. Now it's probably not going to be so smooth sailing and easy for Marika.
Old 2012-02-19, 09:35   Link #1053
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

As usual, Imperial Intelligence gets the job done (moving the Princess onto another ship) while the Imperial Naval flounder around.

Yes, I'm seeing The Sith Empire unfolding right here.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:38   Link #1054
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

This is just a reminder of what discussions are not allowed when an anime is licensed:
Quote:
  • Asking where you can find downloads.
  • Providing links to downloads.
  • Discussing fansub groups (past or present).
  • Asking for help downloading this show.
  • Asking for playback help for downloaded episodes.
Please limit the discussion to the series itself or aspects of the license (i.e.: pointing out the flaws in CR's sub, etc.).

Thank you.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 10:57   Link #1055
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I thought the opening dream sequence was pretty neat. I actually laughed out loud at the water-slide-going-everywhere ride to the fighter. I was noticing a similarity to Star Trek in which the Captain is always in the away missions. But then I guess it would make for boring stories if the Captain always remained on the bridge. I wonder if Marika will come across a situation where the enemy is hiding on the far side of the planet, and use this dream as experience?

Oh Dark Queen Chiki-chan (yes, I know, don't call you that), when will you admit your true feelings? The only one you're hiding them from is yourself. Everyone else knows the truth.

Spoiler for Impatient pose:

Also, I wonder what Chiaki's phone conversation with her father was all about?

Endless "Yes, my Queen" Soul
Old 2012-02-19, 12:48   Link #1056
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest I just can't get onboard with this legal pirating business if there's no one actually on the losing side. I don't know but it just feels a little pathetic to me since it kinda looks like these previously legendary and feared pirates are now being forced to pretend at pirating to entertain rich people as if they're sideshow clowns. Thats obviously not what they were going for, but it's the impression I got. I hope it moves away from this sort of thing (it looks to be doing so anyway)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 13:04   Link #1057
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
To be honest I just can't get onboard with this legal pirating business if there's no one actually on the losing side. I don't know but it just feels a little pathetic to me since it kinda looks like these previously legendary and feared pirates are now being forced to pretend at pirating to entertain rich people as if they're sideshow clowns.
Actually, I think you're supposed to feel that way. I think part of the intention is to give a "how the mighty have fallen" sort of feel to the pirates' situation. I think part of the purpose of the series will involve changing their image, whether for good or for ill, so that at the very least people will come to respect them again.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 13:21   Link #1058
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Actually, I think you're supposed to feel that way. I think part of the intention is to give a "how the mighty have fallen" sort of feel to the pirates' situation. I think part of the purpose of the series will involve changing their image, whether for good or for ill, so that at the very least people will come to respect them again.
What intrigues me as well is those are "low level" missions.I'd think that high level missions are a whole lot more dangerous and intriguing,but we won't see those yet since Marika doesn't have the experience.
Old 2012-02-19, 13:58   Link #1059
Dop
Mmmm....

Ooh, a plot is afoot! I suspect our stowaway could lead to a big diplomatic incident. Certainly sounds like things are getting underway.

I suspect Marika's somewhat OTT makeup job was "Stage Makeup", overemphasising to give her more presence at a distance.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-19, 14:02   Link #1060
nojay
Scanlator

I think you could consider the "pirate shows" as self-financing training exercises. The Bentenmaru's crew have to do all the work necessary (electronic warfare, chasing down the ships and boarding them etc.) they might have to go through in a real fighting scenario. It's good practice and it pays for itself. It's also good publicity -- the civilians think of the pirates as romantic swashbucklers and so the Letters of Marque system continues and they are not hunted from space by the official military forces since they're not perceived as being really dangerous.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri