1 out of 10 : Painful 14 1.72%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-01-10, 19:38   Link #861
Haku-Men
Banned

Location: depths of Kagutsuchi where the Sheol Gate is located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Or maybe they think that it could have been a lot better, but is still awesome.
In characters and concept-yes
In story and execution-no
Haku-Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 19:44   Link #862
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Or maybe they think that it could have been a lot better, but is still awesome.
I can understand those people that see the numerous flaws and still think its awesome its just really depressing to see this thing trotted out as a masterpiece when the whole thing seems to have been written the day it was animated.

Especially the Marianne Subplot where they topped the entire series with a couple of episodes left. I mean Lelouch did something to God are you telling me that Schneizel was now a threat?
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 19:45   Link #863
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku-Men View Post
And the people who loved it despite all it's flaws either didn't care or haven't watch alot of anime to give it a proper judgment on their behalf.
Or how about neither. One can love something despite its flaws. It's not that you're blind to the problems or that they don't annoy you. It's more that you feel the positives in the end outweigh the negatives. Had it had a weaker ending then I'd probably be a lot more unhappy about the series. But I actually liked the ending and thought it redeemed itself in the end. Could it have been better? Hell, yes. Do I sometimes think of what it could have been? Sure. But we're stuck with what we got. At the very least the series gave me one of my favorite anime characters ever. So it's certainly not because we haven't watched enough anime or just 'didn't care.'

edit: The Marianne sub-plot is one of the things I do think was badly handled. It could have been something really special and they dismissed it in one episode. It's as if they only remembered it at the last second. Not to mention things from season 1 that were never fully resolved.
Old 2009-01-10, 21:45   Link #864
eaglei3

Speaking of Marianne not being handled well along with other plots:

I was thinking Lelouch being revived makes sense cause it fits Code Geass's usual opportunity to keep up with the failures of plot/is another WTF moment.
eaglei3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 22:56   Link #865
Charred Knight

I don't think they where trying to do it on purpose I think ultimately the fact that their entire plans where ruined forced them to think on the fly so when they tried to keep the suspense up it resulted in plots that where either idiotic (Marianne, appears and then dies the next episode) or where just plain poorly done (the Knights of Round not getting any character development and usually being useless)
Old 2009-01-11, 02:36   Link #866
Haku-Men
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Or how about neither. One can love something despite its flaws. It's not that you're blind to the problems or that they don't annoy you. It's more that you feel the positives in the end outweigh the negatives. Had it had a weaker ending then I'd probably be a lot more unhappy about the series. But I actually liked the ending and thought it redeemed itself in the end. Could it have been better? Hell, yes. Do I sometimes think of what it could have been? Sure. But we're stuck with what we got. At the very least the series gave me one of my favorite anime characters ever. So it's certainly not because we haven't watched enough anime or just 'didn't care.'
Very well, I can accept this as much, but I can't help but facepalm on some of the responses I've seen from this thread claiming that this series was a "masterpiece" or "the greatest anime ever made" granted people are entitled to their own opinions but were they really watching it for it's plot or for Lelouch antics or to see a certain character development, hell I know alot of fans who after wards started watching it for lulz instead. But I digress even after four months this series is still talked about more then anything that came out last year and obviously it had an impact on me since I'm still discussing it.
Old 2009-01-11, 02:41   Link #867
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku-Men View Post
Very well, I can accept this as much, but I can't help but facepalm on some of the responses I've seen from this thread claiming that this series was a "masterpiece" or "the greatest anime ever made" granted people are entitled to their own opinions but were they really watching it for it's plot or for Lelouch antics or to see a certain character development, hell I know alot of fans who after wards started watching it for lulz instead. But I digress even after four months this series is still talked about more then anything that came out last year and obviously it had an impact on me since I'm still discussing it.
This series is hard not to talk about

Looking at a lot of people most people watched it for Lelouch
Old 2009-01-11, 08:56   Link #868
Carlos45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
I wasn't expecting much and I didn't get much so I'm not complaining. But that last arc was just too crappy for words. I took two points off for that nonsense, hence 1/10.
I don't know what show you've been watching, but it deserves more than one.
Carlos45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 09:11   Link #869
eaglei3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
This series is hard not to talk about

Looking at a lot of people most people watched it for Lelouch
This is definitely true for a lot of people I have talked too. If they do continue Code Geass, they have to be careful and think what really attracted viewers to the show. I mean, you had the shippers which involved Lelouch and the main story was about Lelouch while the entire Code aspect was left alone.

Quote:
I don't think they where trying to do it on purpose I think ultimately the fact that their entire plans where ruined forced them to think on the fly so when they tried to keep the suspense up it resulted in plots that where either idiotic (Marianne, appears and then dies the next episode) or where just plain poorly done (the Knights of Round not getting any character development and usually being useless)
Yea, I'm pretty sure they didn't plan doing it on purpose either, just poor planning as you said.
eaglei3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 12:13   Link #870
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglei3 View Post
This is definitely true for a lot of people I have talked too. If they do continue Code Geass, they have to be careful and think what really attracted viewers to the show. I mean, you had the shippers which involved Lelouch and the main story was about Lelouch while the entire Code aspect was left alone.
We did get to learn the basics about how the Code works though, as opposed to knowing absolutely nothing back in season one. I consider that a step forward, even if it was a small one compared to fan expectations of some grand secret meaning behind the origin of Geass.

Oh, the ironic thing is that I'm more into shipping now that the show is over as opposed to while it aired, as a way to spend time, so I'd be lying if I said this is what attracted me to the series, since in season one there was rather little of it to begin with.

Lelouch's story isn't really about romance after all and I've even said that the focus on relationships during R2 also came with less time dedicated to individual character development. Not just because of this, the time slot also affected that like everyone should already know.

I can see the poor planning you guys mention too (Marianne should have, at least, come back around Turn 15 or so in order to make her return work), but I don't think that means there wasn't any. For example, while the show was airing people complained and screamed about Zero Requiem coming out of nowhere and having no explanation but then the ending gave us the details. I think that part of the story had enough thought behind it. You also have Lelouch's confrontation with Nunnally in Turn 6 which is mirrored by the one in Turn 25, making for some interesting contrasts that aren't just coincidences.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 22:59   Link #871
Grey Dawn
zzzzzzzz

Hmm, has anyone found that Cornelia, Todoh, and Xing-ke are extremely similar characters?

Lets take a look: They're all supposed to be excellent generals, competent politicians and administrators, great pilots, great hand to hand fighters (?), and decent at cunning. They all share respect for morales/and or care about "what's right" and "fair play", are pragmatic about most things, are highly nationalistic, have the ability to generate cultish loyalty in small groups, and don't like to tolerate much bullshit. Xing-ke and Cornelia are also shown as having an important person they care more about than their nationalism, morales, or selves.

And besides their nationalities and basic traits that go along with people who are patriotic towards that nation, they don't seem to have many differences. In my mind, I like to refer to them as the "generals" in CG. Thoughts?
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 23:05   Link #872
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Dawn View Post
Hmm, has anyone found that Cornelia, Todoh, and Xing-ke are extremely similar characters?

Lets take a look: They're all supposed to be excellent generals, competent politicians and administrators, great pilots, great hand to hand fighters (?), and decent at cunning. They all share respect for morales/and or care about "what's right" and "fair play", are pragmatic about most things, are highly nationalistic, have the ability to generate cultish loyalty in small groups, and don't like to tolerate much bullshit. Xing-ke and Cornelia are also shown as having an important person they care more about than their nationalism, morales, or selves.

And besides their nationalities and basic traits that go along with people who are patriotic towards that nation, they don't seem to have many differences. In my mind, I like to refer to them as the "generals" in CG. Thoughts?
Didn't Cornelia commite genocide in season 1, also Todoh was an idiot who got nearly the entire group captured because he cared more about going down in a blaze of glory than retreating.
Old 2009-01-14, 23:09   Link #873
Grey Dawn
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Didn't Cornelia commite genocide in season 1, also Todoh was an idiot who got nearly the entire group captured because he cared more about going down in a blaze of glory than retreating.
In some ways, they take on the traditional traits of the nations they represent (racism, for instance) However, Cornelia was also willing to attack Schneizel because his plan was immoral, and I'm not here to argue about their skill as generals.
Old 2009-01-15, 06:17   Link #874
Levy
differently sober

I think it's a very interesting post, Grey, I do agree =)

To say it with chess, if Tohdoh is the Black Tower, Cornelia is the White one. =)

If there is someone that really can mess up him emotionally and make him do plain stupid things out of rage on Kyoshiro's side, I'd say it's Suzaku. But here I guess my pseudocanon is acting on me, and he can't just stand the comparison with Euphie and Tianzi, if they are the one you are talking about, in terms of intensity and reciprocation of the feeling.

Still, I'd say that Suzaku is a weak point for him, and that ep. 24 shows that to a degree.
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 16:38   Link #875
Charred Knight

Quote:
In some ways, they take on the traditional traits of the nations they represent (racism, for instance) However, Cornelia was also willing to attack Schneizel because his plan was immoral, and I'm not here to argue about their skill as generals.
Your saying that Todoh represents the failure of the Japanese against Cornelia's America?
Old 2009-01-15, 16:53   Link #876
Grey Dawn
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Your saying that Todoh represents the failure of the Japanese against Cornelia's America?
Huh? You're overanalyzing what I'm saying. Just that those 3 have very similar personality traits. Some are a bit more into morales or national pride than the others, but they all have traces of it and lack in glaring differences, hence being similar characters.
Old 2009-01-16, 13:01   Link #877
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I enjoyed the story to the very end, I was laughing when Nunally died because I was excited to see how Suzaku would react, and I liked the ending very much, because it was the completion of the main character's ideals.10/10 anytime
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 16:03   Link #878
Haku-Men
Banned

And this is what I'm talking about
Old 2009-01-16, 16:19   Link #879
Charred Knight

Quote:
Huh? You're overanalyzing what I'm saying. Just that those 3 have very similar personality traits. Some are a bit more into morales or national pride than the others, but they all have traces of it and lack in glaring differences, hence being similar characters.
Really Todoh is the only one who acts abnormaly, being the stock Samurai guy, Cornelia just acts like every single Britannian in the military.
Old 2009-01-19, 00:36   Link #880
StoneCloud

Show was awesome. Great Characters and story. easily a 10/10
StoneCloud is offline   Reply With Quote