AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-06-27, 09:16   Link #1161
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

to be fair to dempsey, if you've ever had an injury on your periphery, getting hit at your core will rattle wherever that injury is.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 09:32   Link #1162
Kakurin
大佐

France's Sakho got away with nothing for the attempted elbow strike in the game against Ecuador. Suarez got what he deserved, but Sakho gets let off the hook. Strange double standard. Guess there was no public outcry against Sakho that could have forced FIFA's hand.
Old 2014-06-27, 09:34   Link #1163
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

eh, the refs have just been horrible throughout most of the world cup so far.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2014-06-27, 09:50   Link #1164
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Chiellini has now given a comment regarding Suarez ban and called it excessive in that he should be able to remain with the team.
The (Anglo) media have it out for Suarez in my opinion, he's been vilified since he started to play in the EPL. To bite is low and disgusting, but it's not worse than an elbow to the face or headbutting. Song got a 3 match ban for elbowing a Croatia player in the back, which seems far more reasonable.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 10:04   Link #1165
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
To bite is low and disgusting, but it's not worse than an elbow to the face or headbutting.
Actually it is. Human saliva contain many different kinds of germs that are pathogenic. In terms of infection risk a human bite is more dangerous than a dog bite. Of course I doubt that Suarez bit hard enough to cause a true wound, but one shouldn't whitewash the dangers from biting.
Old 2014-06-27, 10:27   Link #1166
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Actually it is. Human saliva contain many different kinds of germs that are pathogenic. In terms of infection risk a human bite is more dangerous than a dog bite. Of course I doubt that Suarez bit hard enough to cause a true wound, but one shouldn't whitewash the dangers from biting.
Infection risk as opposed to the dangers of head injuries? Seems like in both cases you risk damage to a players health. I don't think it's whitewashing when one is not inclined to go along with media hysteria.

Last edited by Bri; 2014-06-27 at 10:43.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 11:00   Link #1167
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
The (Anglo) media have it out for Suarez in my opinion, he's been vilified since he started to play in the EPL. To bite is low and disgusting, but it's not worse than an elbow to the face or headbutting. Song got a 3 match ban for elbowing a Croatia player in the back, which seems far more reasonable.
You think? I remember the huge outcry over an handball four years. I definitely think player reputation made some fouls a lot worse than they actually were (same with Pepe's red card against Germany) while other fouls which are actually worse (remember the kick Steve von Bergen received?) don't create an outcry.

Also WTH FIFA why is there is no football on television.
Old 2014-06-27, 11:09   Link #1168
Kakurin
大佐

Difference is, the kick von Bergen received was an accident. You can say it was reckless, but unlike Pepe's or Suarez' actions it was not deliberate. Thing is, it's not Suarez' first, or even second time he's done something stupid. It's the third time biting somebody and then you have to add the racial comment against Evra. With him being a repeat offender 3 games would be very low. That said, FIFA's standards are as I mentioned quite strange with Song getting 3 games, Suarez 9 and Sakho getting let off the hook.
Old 2014-06-27, 11:25   Link #1169
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post

Also WTH FIFA why is there is no football on television.
because there are no games scheduled for today?

Old 2014-06-27, 11:39   Link #1170
ScazoN
3rd Ginko

Brazil vs Chile. Hype
ScazoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 13:20   Link #1171
itisjustme

Sakho's elbow isn't really comparable, it's the sort of rough play you kinda expect on set pieces. I mean defenders basically wrestle you now they gripe you they have their arms around you and prevent you from moving and since refs never whistle that you throw your man off with your arms, intimidate them a little with your elbow like a basketball center. It's dirty and will get you red carded if the ref happens to turn his head right at that moment but at the highest level you need some dose of dirtiness to win.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 15:09   Link #1172
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Such a nice gesture by a group of Holland kids!

Best of luck to Holland too!
Old 2014-06-27, 17:32   Link #1173
Nerroth
NePoi!

So how has the TV coverage been in the country you've been watching the World Cup from?

Here in Canada, the CBC coverage has been fairly decent, if a bit workmanlike. But I kind of miss some of the antics which the Irish state broadcaster, RTÉ, would get up to.

In addition to the more... colourful discussions in the studio you see and hear over there, they also have a show called Après Match, in which a group of comedians impersonating the panelists (and various others) offer their own take on things.

For example, this is an argument from just after the England-Uruguay match:

And this is the Après Match follow-up:

Apologies if you find any of the accents to be something of a challenge...
Old 2014-06-27, 21:17   Link #1174
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
eh, the refs have just been horrible throughout most of the world cup so far.
Yeah, I noticed in that game I watched that the refs were favoring Germany over USA. They kept blowing the whistle on USA, but I remember one German player did a slide into a U.S. player and it was clear as day and no ref blew the whistle.

FIFA doesn't have good standards about things in general compared to leagues like the NFL and MLB, etc., huh?
Old 2014-06-28, 00:24   Link #1175
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i believe FIFA once used the term "organic" for those types of things..

Old 2014-06-28, 00:40   Link #1176
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think the standard of officiating is quite low at the moment in every major team sport, and star players and elite teams always get a measure of special treatment. But it really is at another level of awfulness with FIFA.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 01:12   Link #1177
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Yeah, I noticed in that game I watched that the refs were favoring Germany over USA. They kept blowing the whistle on USA, but I remember one German player did a slide into a U.S. player and it was clear as day and no ref blew the whistle.
What game were you watching? There was no favouring in that game. The US simply fouled more. In fact the ref was pretty lenient in evaluating the US tactical fouls. Beckerman for example should have seen yellow much, much earlier.
Old 2014-06-28, 02:56   Link #1178
itisjustme

Having just watched the NBA before the WC I don't find the refs shocking. :P NFL and MLB are leagues where the game stops ever 15 seconds and you can use instant replay it's not the same.
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 03:13   Link #1179
Kakurin
大佐

NFL refs also have enough screw-ups and strange double standards. Like the evaluation of pass interference, or holding penalties. It can get fairly shady there. FIFA football isn't really all too terrible in this regard considering that football's a flowing game and there are no instant reviews or challenges. Problem with the World Cup is that you have referees from smaller associations and countries who aren't accustomed to calling a high-tempo international game. FIFA needs to do a better job there to ensure that all refs are up to the same standards. It's fairly clear that a referee from New Zealand for example hasn't had the same kind of experience like a referee who has called UEFA Champions League games.
Old 2014-06-28, 03:42   Link #1180
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Don't referees also get kept or weed out after their performance in a match until we get the best possible referee for the final?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote