AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-14, 11:17   Link #41
Mason Proulx
Getting too old for this

Regarding the events at the end of volume 15

Spoiler:

This is what I had assumed. But reading volume 16 made me question this assumption.

Spoiler:

Either way, Friend aggravates me so much. Apart from continually doing unfathomably evil things, Urasawa made him into such a liar that you can never believe anything says or does. Likewise you have to always question whether things that seemed to happen in the book actually happened or not.
Old 2004-05-14, 11:52   Link #42
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Bandersnatch, I LOVE your sig!!

By the way, I've read through the fifth volume and the first two chapters of the sixth... no need to say that it's a drastic change to an older Kanna, as much as I like her. Can you guys assure me this new arc is as good as the Kenji one?

By the way...

Spoiler for volume 5 to the end:
Old 2004-05-14, 12:09   Link #43
cornzilla
Sixth Hokage

Send a message via AIM to cornzilla
Ok for everyone who has read up to the second arc of the story. Go back to the first chapter and reread it you'll notice something very very very very very very strange. Its a spoiler to how the manga will end. I would like to tell you but I dont know how to do spoiler tags.
Old 2004-05-14, 12:57   Link #44
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
Spoiler for volume 5 to the end:
No, Urasawa never leaves anything important like that hanging...

Quote:
Ok for everyone who has read up to the second arc of the story. Go back to the first chapter and reread it you'll notice something very very very very very very strange. Its a spoiler to how the manga will end. I would like to tell you but I dont know how to do spoiler tags.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-14, 17:14   Link #45
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Proulx
Regarding the events at the end of volume 15

Spoiler:

This is what I had assumed. But reading volume 16 made me question this assumption.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-14, 23:36   Link #46
wao
OK.

I started reading this manga on Wednesday. I swear....... this is seriously one of the best manga in the world. It's very engaging, the plot is so wildly mysterious and intriguing, THE CHARACTERS ROCK (I can't emphasize this enough), the plot twists are MAD...

I started reading around 4pm on Wednesday, and read on until 12:15 am. Even though there was school on THursday... This is the most genuine case ever of "not realising the time has passed" - I just kept reading and reading and reading....

I only finished halfway, and I read the rest on Thursday, and then read Chapter 16 yesterday. It's awesome. Truly awesome.

Anyway, (spoilers up to chap 16)

Spoiler:

And Vicious,
Spoiler:

BTW, does anyone know when Kenji and Shouhei (you know, the grandson of that famous detective Chou-sama...) were born? And Kanna?

And on another offtopic thing, I'm having problems downloading the torrent for Monster..... how do you get it on IRC...
Old 2004-05-15, 06:34   Link #47
Morrigan
debris collector

Send a message via ICQ to Morrigan
Well, in 2014 Kanna is 17, so she was born in 1996/97. Kenji might be born in 1960 or somewhat around that ... I don't know at which age you get to school in Japan, but I think, he was in 5th class in 1970 ...(?)
We don't know how old Chono is exactly, do we? I think he looks like somewhat around 20 in 2014. ^^
Old 2004-05-15, 08:52   Link #48
wao
OK.

Well, we do know Chouno was a small kid when his grandfather appeared in the VERY beginning of the manga. You know, when his grandfather was supposed to buy "Peekaboo" for his grandson.... who is Chouno Shouhei...

Hehe, I just have this perverse, nasty, shameful tendency to like to imagine... feelings between people (but not in that kind of manner)... And Shouhei really is a nice kind of guy

Ah, and I just thought of some things I want to make clear.... (spoilers for... well I dunno, lots of chapters?)
Spoiler:

Ah yes, and does anyone know Fukubei's other name? (I dunno if Fukubei is his surname or first name or nickname...)

EDIT: Also, you know that guy who picked up.... picked up.... picked up Kiriko (or was it Yukiji??? Or some school girl) in the very early parts of the series after the train she was going on was wrecked and she was 20 minutes late for her exam and later she met that guy.....
Remember that guy? He said something about "It's easy to seduce a woman" or something like that.
Spoiler:

EDIT2: When I checked that thing again, it seems that Shouhei is minimum 3 years old in 1997, because he keeps saying he wants to be with gwampy, meaning he can speak and he knows his grandfather is cool... Yeah, I guess Shouhei is around 20 or 21 in 2014. Dang.

Last edited by wao; 2004-05-15 at 11:19.
Old 2004-05-17, 05:35   Link #49
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao

Ah yes, and does anyone know Fukubei's other name? (I dunno if Fukubei is his surname or first name or nickname...)

EDIT: Also, you know that guy who picked up.... picked up.... picked up Kiriko (or was it Yukiji??? Or some school girl) in the very early parts of the series after the train she was going on was wrecked and she was 20 minutes late for her exam and later she met that guy.....
Remember that guy? He said something about "It's easy to seduce a woman" or something like that. .
Spoiler:
Old 2004-05-17, 15:28   Link #50
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
No, Urasawa never leaves anything important like that hanging...
Alright, good I was getting scared there for a moment...
Old 2004-05-21, 16:04   Link #51
YoshiYoshi

Sorry to bring this thread back again, but I thought I'd clarify, Fukubee did indeed wish to be called Hattori, but Hattori was his real name. But the 'Hat' bit in Japanese kanji can read fuku, and 'tori' = 'bu' or 'be', so his schoolfriends called him Fukube. On page 23 of vol. 13, you can see Yoshitsune slowly realise that Fukube=Hattori, who as Jubei said was a famous ninja, but also a popular Japanese TV character (a ninja kid), whose famous face you will all recognise as the 'Tomodachi's.

YoshiYoshi
Old 2004-05-29, 15:45   Link #52
elusive

where can I get vos. 1-9? I can only find 10-16.
Old 2004-05-30, 09:30   Link #53
wao
OK.

You didn't misread 1 - 16 as 10 - 16, did you?

You can see the Bittorrent links http://www.mangascreener.com/project.php?id=8 there... under "Packaged Bit Torrents".

Ah, and when I meant Fukubei's other name... I mean, Fukubei can't be his only name - for example Naoki Urasawa: that's two names, his surname and his given name. Fukubei is the family name, I assume? What's the given name then? Can't be that his parents actually called him Fukubei Hattori?

Can't wait for the next release of course... Is it oging to be in July or so? I might start check if they have the magazine it's published in in Kinokuniya...
Old 2004-05-30, 15:56   Link #54
stpehen
kisses for all

Urasawa is currently on a two-month break until mid-July. Chapter 188 is the latest that has been published, so mostly likely we won't see Volume 17 until September.
Old 2004-06-02, 06:16   Link #55
liQuidfire

I have to admit this series is the best manga that I have read, and time does really fly when you are reading it. I wonder will it ever get licensed? After the whole thing has been released that is . I would really like own this in a book format.

volume 17 released in september? That seems so long away.
Old 2004-06-03, 08:30   Link #56
YoshiYoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao

Ah, and when I meant Fukubei's other name... I mean, Fukubei can't be his only name - for example Naoki Urasawa: that's two names, his surname and his given name. Fukubei is the family name, I assume? What's the given name then? Can't be that his parents actually called him Fukubei Hattori?
Fukubei is just a nickname, neither of his names is Fukubei. If you read my post again, I said that Hattori is his family name, and in Japanese 'Hattori' can read 'Fuku-be' as well, so that:s why his friends made up that nickname.

My IRC and BitTorrent aren't working (AAAAAAARGH) can't take it.
Old 2004-06-04, 13:15   Link #57
liQuidfire

Does anyone know of any sites where there's wallpapers of 20th century boys? And how many more volumes is there going to be? Im currently on volume 16 and it seems like its only a bit past half way through the whole story.
Old 2004-06-04, 14:50   Link #58
petr

Quote:
Originally Posted by liQuidfire
Does anyone know of any sites where there's wallpapers of 20th century boys?
Theres some kinky site ya'know? http://www.mangascreener.com !.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liQuidfire
And how many more volumes is there going to be? Im currently on volume 16 and it seems like its only a bit past half way through the whole story.
How the hell do you think anyone besides mangaka would know how long manga will be running? Huh?

Last edited by petr; 2004-06-05 at 10:32.
Old 2004-06-04, 18:21   Link #59
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I recently downloaded the manga and I must say.. I'm hooked! I can't wait for more. This is really a great series. Perhaps I should check out Monster.. ^_^
Old 2004-06-27, 21:20   Link #60
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Well... at this point I've read through most of Volume 7 (everything but the last two chapters) and 20th Century Boys has risen to its new position as my favorite, number one manga. Granted, I don't read nearly as much manga as I do anime but this is undoubtedly on top of the list.

And hey, September isn't THAT far away... especially not for me - I still have nine chapters of wonderful, wonderful things before I have to sink into a constant state of suspense!
Closed Thread