AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-14, 19:08   Link #1641
Scherzo09

I kinda get the feeling that with Unicorn they've more or less kinda been making it up as they go along, even with the Light Novel as a framework. With Origin, the Manga's already there.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 11:57   Link #1642
Vito
Asshole.

Uh why would think that?
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 13:35   Link #1643
Scherzo09

Why else would they suddenly need 7 OVAs instead of 6?

Anyways, that's off topic.
Old 2013-02-15, 19:34   Link #1644
macdawson

Preview of Chapter 5 - The Sorrow of Intergalactic Space

macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 19:59   Link #1645
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd say they are in trouble.

Though that will likely give us a good accounting of what the Wave Motion Shielding can and cannot do, as well as what they can do with it up like that.
Old 2013-02-16, 09:52   Link #1646
Vito
Asshole.

From the logo I'm assuming this is the short preview at the end of chapter 4 on Bandai Channel?
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 10:05   Link #1647
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would say yes.

Likey the episode preview for episode 15. That is a lot of Gamilas ships to take on. Head on even.
Old 2013-02-16, 12:45   Link #1648
macdawson

Spoiler for Stealthy vídeo clip XD:
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-16, 16:49   Link #1649
August138

The Chapter 5 preview footage is the same as the preview for Episode 15 — from the BD/DVD — except, of course, the narration is by Okita, not Yuki.
Old 2013-02-18, 15:30   Link #1650
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In San Ramon I did the Star Blazers Fleet Battle System variant of the opening action in Episode 11 of Yamato 2199 between Gamilas and Gatlantis. This time it went more or less how the action went in the episode, though the Cometine ships managed to severly damage Dommel's flagship and wound him in action. He and his ship will be laidup for a while, thus giving Yamato some breathing room.

I'll write up a battle report for it later with pictures (assuming they came out alright as the room was in partial sunlight). It was almost a complete opposite of the play test version, though I can see how it could have turned around quite easily based on the tactics used.

Short version: The Gamilas Fleet destroyed the entire Cometine Fleet with the carrier being destroyed last. The Gamilas Fleet lost one high speed cruiser and a destroyer wth a few other ships damaged and the Fleet Battleship crippled during the last phase of the battle as the Comet Fleet decided to go out Kamikaze style. Including a ramming attempt by a squadron of Cometine Strike Fighters.
Old 2013-02-18, 17:37   Link #1651
Scherzo09

What system are you using for these wargamming exercises btw? Did someone do like write ups on the capacities of Yamato space warships?
Old 2013-02-19, 19:24   Link #1652
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There was a table top miniatures game published in the late 1990s called "Star Blazers Fleet Battle System" put out by Voyager Entertainment and Musashi Enterprises. It covers the first two seasons of the TV series and the first four movies (Yamato series 1 and 2, Space Battleship Yamato, Farewell to Space Battlehship Yamato, Yamato: The New Voyage, and Be Forever, Yamato). I've adapted some of the ships to fit their Yamato 2199 counterparts as best that I can with the limited amounts of information I can find.

The battle report for the recent game:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

What would be handy would be if these Japanese names for the various warships had an English equivalant or meaning that made them less awkward to say or spell. I know the Star Blazers game has ship class names that either came from someplace or were made up, but I also know they renamed a bunch of ships in Yamato 2199 that had no real names. Okita's flagship only had her hull number prior to Yamato 2199 as far as I know. Schultz ship was just that or sometimes abbreviated as "S-type".

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-02-20 at 02:38.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 23:33   Link #1653
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Volume 4 has shipped...it should be here by the 25th.
Old 2013-02-21, 06:41   Link #1654
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I know the Star Blazers game has ship class names that either came from someplace or were made up...
IIRC, they were all made up.
Old 2013-02-22, 14:13   Link #1655
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My copy of Chapter 4 is on the way.

As for the ships, it be nice if there was an equivalency from the Japanese to English that made sense. At least for the Gamilas and Cometine ships in Yamato 2199. Be they proper names of people, places, or simply words on the ships (like the British use of Invincible, Resolute, Courageous, Victory, and the like). Because the names they have been given seem rather difficult to pronounce. More so that the usual Japanese ship names (probably because they are Gamilas and Cometine names).
Old 2013-02-22, 19:27   Link #1656
August138

Quote:
As for the ships, it be nice if there was an equivalency from the Japanese to English that made sense. At least for the Gamilas and Cometine ships in Yamato 2199. Be they proper names of people, places, or simply words on the ships (like the British use of Invincible, Resolute, Courageous, Victory, and the like). Because the names they have been given seem rather difficult to pronounce. More so that the usual Japanese ship names (probably because they are Gamilas and Cometine names).
Naming, such as?
Old 2013-02-22, 19:52   Link #1657
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Pretty much all the new Gamilas ships:

Meltoria-class Battlecruiser, Destoria-class Heavy Cruiser, Kelkapia-class High Speed Cruisers, Kripitera-class Destroyers. etc...

Also the Cometine names they gave:

Nazca-class Medium Carrier
Lascaux-class Cruisers
Kukuican-class Destroyers

Which are all listed in Japanese on the Japanese Wikipedia for Yamato 2199. While proper nouns are proper nouns, it is possible that some are not names of people or places, but instead something that is translatable into an English word. Or even a French work for all that matters.

Or if that fails...just how to pronounce the names correctly.
Old 2013-02-22, 20:32   Link #1658
Scherzo09

Quote:
Pretty much all the new Gamilas ships:

Meltoria-class Battlecruiser, Destoria-class Heavy Cruiser, Kelkapia-class High Speed Cruisers, Kripitera-class Destroyers. etc...

Also the Cometine names they gave:

Nazca-class Medium Carrier
Lascaux-class Cruisers
Kukuican-class Destroyers

Which are all listed in Japanese on the Japanese Wikipedia for Yamato 2199. While proper nouns are proper nouns, it is possible that some are not names of people or places, but instead something that is translatable into an English word. Or even a French work for all that matters.

Or if that fails...just how to pronounce the names correctly.
Idk, those names seem pretty par for the course as far as 'foreign sounding gibberish' naming conventions that Anime often given alien warships. Gundam does that a lot.
Old 2013-02-22, 23:36   Link #1659
Beltane70

The names for the Cometine ships are actual places.

Nazca is a city and province in Peru, Lascaux is a cave in France, and Kukuican (sometimes written as Kukulcan) is a pyramid in Mexico.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-23, 03:17   Link #1660
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
Why else would they suddenly need 7 OVAs instead of 6?
To cash in on the best-selling-OVA of all time. Adaptation wise they've been cutting a lot compared to the novels (or so I've read) so they're certainly not making it up as they go along.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato