AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-05-14, 20:22   Link #201
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Boring? This is the last comment I expect to hear about Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Please check it out, sir, I'm sure you'll forget whatever the snyposis you have read. It's a masterpiece.
And if he still doesn't like it afterwards, we should throw him to Abh hell.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 20:57   Link #202
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Boring? This is the last comment I expect to hear about Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Please check it out, sir, I'm sure you'll forget whatever the snyposis you have read. It's a masterpiece.
is this good ? sorry for the off topic.
Old 2008-05-14, 21:06   Link #203
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
It sounded gay what with the two genius (hate geniuses) head-honchos "respecting one another", not to mention how enormous the series is with 160+ episodes to slog through. Combined with past experiences of trying to find good quality downloads of 80s era anime, it's not something I'll be able to commit to lightly.
Why is it 'gay'? As if the concept of a genius single-handedly creating an empire is an original concept. And its not even about the concept, its how they've done it, and their involvements in the twists, the intrigues and the plots that contributed to their success.

As for quality download? Well, its actually widely available, you can even download it off Animesuki! And the quality is not bad at all.

Besides, this is has a large cast, its an opportunity to listen to some of your favorite VAs.

Quote:
In written form, it is my favorite novel of all time. In anime form, maybe not so much, but up there with Macross (if you must force a comparison).

- Tak
Old 2008-05-14, 21:16   Link #204
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Why is it 'gay'?
It's Japanese in origin. Wondering if it's gay goes without question.

Quote:
As if the concept of a genius single-handedly creating an empire is an original concept. And its not even about the concept, its how they've done it, and their involvements in the twists, the intrigues and the plots that contributed to their success.
How would you compare it to say...Code Geass?

Quote:
As for quality download? Well, its actually widely available, you can even download it off Animesuki! And the quality is not bad at all.
That's good. Both Dirty Pair and Saint Seiya used cameras recording in front of a TV set.

Quote:
Besides, this is has a large cast, its an opportunity to listen to some of your favorite VAs.
Everyone enjoys a spot the seiyuu game.

Quote:
In written form, it is my favorite novel of all time. In anime form, maybe not so much, but up there with Macross (if you must force a comparison).
Maybe I should just read it then? I'd rather be on my bed than sitting in front of a computer.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 21:24   Link #205
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
It's Japanese in origin. Wondering if it's gay goes without question.
HA!

Quote:
Thats like comparing apples to oranges. Although LoGH is nowhere near as absurd. There is no supernatural element, no giant mecha, no angle shots, just plain-old human nature.

Quote:
Maybe I should just read it then? I'd rather be on my bed than sitting in front of a computer.
Its printed in traditional Chinese and Japanese, no English. Good luck finding one online.

- Tak (I on the other hand, purchased the entire set of 10 novels)

Last edited by Tak; 2008-05-14 at 21:58.
Old 2008-05-14, 22:15   Link #206
Wesley84

Quote:
Thats like comparing apples to oranges. Although LoGH is nowhere near as absurd. There is no supernatural element, no giant mecha, no angle shots, just plain-old human nature.
Good. I want less "Kukuku. *BA-ZING DEUS EX MACHINA*" and more "Let's do something that will actually work." War should be less about the people you meet and screw over, and more about killing the enemy.

Quote:
Its printed in traditional Chinese and Japanese, no English. Good luck finding one online.

- Tak (I on the other hand, purchased the entire set of 10 novels)
Ah, Twelve Kingdoms kind of dealy eh? Pity.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 22:22   Link #207
Tak

Quote:
It is somewhat comparable to the 12 Kingdoms in terms of scope. LoGH will also challenge our concepts of existing political systems, and despite this novel being written some 20 years prior, it sometimes sound like a dead-on criticism of today's world.

Definitely more focus than 12 Kingdoms though. Besides, the 12 Kingdoms anime gave everyone the wrong impression, because the actual saga is far longer and far more extensive and not focused on one character alone. Although the 12 Kingdoms is an exceptionally written epic.

- Tak
Old 2008-05-15, 00:05   Link #208
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Regarding LOTGH I've not watched all of it (Yet) but it was quite enjoyable. If it wasn't for the fact I think it's probably against the rules, I'd link to an video of the first major battle in the first two episodes of LOTGH, the Astate Encounter to see if it's the kind of think you guys would like.

Anyways, as much as I'd love to debate the merits of LOTGH it's a tangent that is VASTLY off topic for this discussion thread.
Blue Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 13:48   Link #209
4Tran

Quote:
Yes, LoGH is a pretty good show - almost regardless of one's personal preferences. That said, how much (and how) one enjoys it can come down to familiarity with history and politics. Also, contrary to what you may have heard, Legend of Galactic Heroes isn't really all that realistic - for example, one of the main combat tactics is for heavy infantry to don armor and attack using halberds or axes.

Quote:
I'd say that LoGH is quite a bit better than Code Geass, but there really isn't a whole lot of basis for comparison other than the fact that they both talk about politics. LoGH doesn't have any magical battles, and it doesn't have quite as convoluted plot, but it also lacks strongly characterized female characters as well. They do both have a fair bit of plot-convenient contrivances though.

I guess it depends on what you like and dislike about Code Geass.

Quote:
The Twelve Kingdoms novels are (slowly) being released in North America, but the LoGH novels aren't, so it's harder to come across a translated version.

Quote:
It is somewhat comparable to the 12 Kingdoms in terms of scope. LoGH will also challenge our concepts of existing political systems, and despite this novel being written some 20 years prior, it sometimes sound like a dead-on criticism of today's world.
In terms of comparison, LoGH is probably most similar to the Romance of Three Kingdoms, in terms of anime, there really isn't anything particularly similar, but Crest of the Stars does cover the same kind of territory.

I admit to not being particularly impressed with the way Legend of Galactic Heroes comments on different political systems. The way the arguments for them are presented doesn't really do the subject justice.
Old 2008-06-12, 22:59   Link #210
Otakuboy T
Otaku Knight

Send a message via MSN to Otakuboy T
http://gineiden-game.jp/

They're making a LoGH RTS. God, I hope someone does a fan translation.
Otakuboy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 14:13   Link #211
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
After Touch C-a is giving us another DVD version of their previous works. This time it is none other than Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Thanks again C-A.
Old 2008-08-05, 14:17   Link #212
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Glad to see people still like LOGH and Touch. I will endeavor to keep a good pace so we don't take years to get them out.
Old 2008-08-05, 16:31   Link #213
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Count me among the people glad that you are putting DvD version od LOGH Heibi .
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 16:45   Link #214
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Awesome! Now I can start watching it. First time for me.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-05, 19:49   Link #215
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
Awesome! Now I can start watching it. First time for me.
Working on getting 3 and 4 ready for a nit pick edit this weekend.
Old 2008-08-05, 20:11   Link #216
martino
makes no files now

Oh nice news. I was about to start off that 20GB torrent, but seems like I now have another reason to wait for a while more.
Old 2008-08-07, 16:48   Link #217
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Oh nice news. I was about to start off that 20GB torrent, but seems like I now have another reason to wait for a while more.
and the fact that you're watching them little by little gives you a special flavour.
Old 2008-08-29, 09:03   Link #218
herbert

Tytania is going to be made into anime form...

Make yourself ready to that, all LoGH fans.
Old 2008-08-29, 09:12   Link #219
glyph

Quote:
Tytania is going to be made into anime form...

Make yourself ready to that, all LoGH fans.
I wish they would remake and complete the animation of Heroic Legend of Arslan at some point and not leave it half-cocked.

BTW, there's a second novel series now, isn't there?
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-29, 09:29   Link #220
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
I wish they would remake and complete the animation of Heroic Legend of Arslan at some point and not leave it half-cocked.

BTW, there's a second novel series now, isn't there?
I have a mixed feeling on this. I am indifferent between Tytania and Arslan (get to admit Arslan was done too crappy).

It's another space opera from Tanaka. But as you must know, the author is extremely lazy. I guess he must break a record to get this 20-years-have-been-spent-but-only-3-vols-have-been-completed story animated.

If you mean a second novel series set in same universe of LoGH, there is not and won't be.

I need my sweet Katerose roaring, "death to the lazy writer."