AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 26 Rating
Perfect 10 41 18.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 13.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 11.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 10.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 23 10.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 29 13.00%
4 out of 10 : Poor 12 5.38%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.24%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 2.24%
1 out of 10 : Painful 27 12.11%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-23, 22:04   Link #141
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majo View Post
Umineko anime never existed for me... I don't even want Chiru to be animated now.
Just because they didn't live up to your expectations you're going to deny it never existed for you?
Fair enough, I guess. Although I totally disagree with you
Old 2009-12-23, 22:06   Link #142
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
If Battler can deny the existence of witches, even though they are right in front of him, a fan can deny the existence of the anime.
Old 2009-12-23, 22:08   Link #143
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
If Battler can deny the existence of witches, even though they are right in front of him, a fan can deny the existence of the anime.
Like I said, fair enough.
Old 2009-12-23, 22:12   Link #144
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Personally I think it's a bit unfair for Anime viewers to think VN players are being ridiculous for going that far. After all, I know a lot of Anime viewers who are essentially denying that the source material exists for various reasons (most of them have something to do with the less than beautiful art style). Why can't it work in reverse?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to 'pretend the Anime didn't exist' because I'd like to remember it for its good points, few though they may be, I'm just saying there seem to be a lot of hypocritical thought processes around here...uy, when can VN players and Anime viewers coexist in peace...
Old 2009-12-23, 22:31   Link #145
Arkwright

I didn't really notice any problems with the music in this episode, although I did notice Endless Nine, which I like better anyway. Really though, does the anime soundtrack matter that much? Surely the music is a big part of the VN, but in an anime you're only watching for 20 minutes and there's voices on top of that. I might notice if music fits well or doesn't fit well, but I'm not going to think while watching an episode about the music that ISN'T there.

The red/blue battle was done better than I had expected. Now, it was lacking in red, but as I've said in the past, I think it was a bad idea to add the red/blue tint for everything, and in this episode I'm honestly glad they didn't always put in the tint because it's annoying and takes away from the art. I think there should have been letters at least even without the tint, but all in all it didn't really lose much without it, for the tea party at least. The impact of the battle itself was done decently enough, although I thought Beatrice's voice got awkward at the end (even considering circumstances.)

I'll echo comments that the shards/spears/whatever were kind of dull and it wasn't obvious that they were supposed to represent the blue truth.

I also thought the Golden Land scene was all right despite some missing elements. Perhaps the transition at the end could have been less abrupt.

I don't especially care for the ending song either and it seemed out of place. Keeping the OP in might have worked better if they had to include something.

Specific thoughts on one scene:

Spoiler for Ange:

Overall, I'd say it wasn't one of the best episodes of the anime but it could probably fall among the better ones.
Old 2009-12-23, 22:59   Link #146
ameskitty
Kupo

Well, it did what it was supposed to, albeit with a few cuts to tons of the logic branches. (most of it looked like they were too lazy to animate the red text...seriously? ) And Ohara was just awesome as usual, props to the only 10/10 aspect of the anime - the seiyuus.

And some rather bad BGM choices in the first half of the episode :/. Geez this episode just smelled of lazy, except for the end part with "Who am I?" which was pretty good.

6/10. An average end to what has been (standalone at least) an average anime. Enjoyable to some, with noticeable but fairly average weak points for the more discerning viewer.

...but I won't even comment at this point on what I think of it as an adaptation .

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2009-12-23, 23:04   Link #147
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rogue View Post
...but I won't even comment at this point on what I think of it as an adaptation .
Frankly, I think it's a goddamn tragedy that one of the best visual novels ever written has become such a mediocre anime.
Old 2009-12-23, 23:22   Link #148
Nontype
CONTRACTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Frankly, I think it's a goddamn tragedy that one of the best visual novels ever written has become such a mediocre anime.
DEEN, in all honesty, cannot ruin Umineko.

No matter how hard they may try.
Old 2009-12-23, 23:34   Link #149
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This. This reminds me of how they effed up one of my favorite Funke novels, Inkheart, by making it into a low-budget CGI-fest starring Brendan Fraser :/. It's fine for a kiddie flick, sure, and they get the basic idea, but it's just horrifying that such an amazing, imaginative novel was reduced to a pile of generic crap for a quick buck. And it seems DEEN won't even be getting that.

I really hope the seiyuus continue to do Umi-related work, no matter whether or not the second season gets animated, because they were the only thing in the anime that did justice to the original :/.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2009-12-24, 00:19   Link #150
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanonTheFurniture View Post
...uy, when can VN players and Anime viewers coexist in peace...
I think a good start would be for many VN readers to stop pretending the source material is ambrosia dropped from a goddess' lips and was now defiled by the vile hands of demons from hell.

I understand many of the harsh feelings, it is never nice to build up expectations and then be heavily disappointed in how something finally turns out. But in the end Umineko is just another VN/novel/manga adaption among many, many others...it just happens to be quite well written so that it appeals to the audience on many levels, so that no matter what is cut somebody is going to be disappointed.

Even I decided sometime today that it would be best to let Animesuki and other gathering points of Umineko VN readers rest for a while, at least until I finished reading Episode 6...so that I can build up a bit more love for the VN again.

It's not like I don't understand why many are against the anime (even though I have a different opinion) and some people (like Klashikari) have quite good points there and can argue on a reasonable basis...but there's just way too much praise and love and blind glorification of the VN, it's really starting to turn me off.
So before the inevitable happens and Umineko shares the fate of Tales of Symphonia in my book of 'ruined by obsessive fans', I will let it rest for a while.

At least sometime around January anime discussions should be over to a large deal, so see you then.
Old 2009-12-24, 00:26   Link #151
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

The anime was badly made and the low sales prove it. I'm not even talking adaption wise.
The only good thing to come from the anime is the chance that the VN will be re-released on a system and will be fully voiced.
Old 2009-12-24, 00:37   Link #152
luckyssol

I enjoyed watching this anime from start to end. Since I already played the visual novel before the anime began I don’t know whether or not I would have had the same experience if I would have decided to play it afterwards. However, many of the scenes which I had trouble visualizing from the VN are now clear to me.

Spoiler for ”My Favorites of the Series”:

I would like to see how a different studio would adapt Umineko for the second season but we'll see what happens.
Old 2009-12-24, 00:40   Link #153
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
I think a good start would be for many VN readers to stop pretending the source material is ambrosia dropped from a goddess' lips and was now defiled by the vile hands of demons from hell.
It actually is that good though.

Not that the anime is bad... it's not. It's mediocre. Average. Generic.

Which is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
So before the inevitable happens and Umineko shares the fate of Tales of Symphonia in my book of 'ruined by obsessive fans', I will let it rest for a while.
But Symphonia was bad to begin with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
The only good thing to come from the anime is the chance that the VN will be re-released on a system and will be fully voiced.
If it's done, here's hoping they don't try to turn it into a route-based game again...
Old 2009-12-24, 01:10   Link #154
ocbx

Spoiler for scariest troll ever:

Well, the anime is not THAT bad, just quite decent. DEEN just fail at the pure Battler x Beatrice moment, and the trollface; It's like they forgot the most important thing in the ep ..
Old 2009-12-24, 04:29   Link #155
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

I had a short review, but here are the cons:

- Omitted red/blue text halfway through the episode.
- Omitted important red text on ????
- Again, no dreamenddischarger despite them composing music for it. A last minute change of mind? DED had that goldenslaughterer feel in the middle FYI.
- Lack of Angeburger/Ange's disappearance impact. Battler was supposed to be raging here. But then the emotion has been toned down since day 1.
- Red/Blue battler wasn't as epic as it looked. Ok, granted imagination will always tend to beat the presented material.

That's why the 6/10 score. Considering also that this is the finale, the standards should be higher.

Please watch where you post and tag your spoilers properly if it's allowed.
Old 2009-12-24, 04:43   Link #156
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I would actually suggest that everyone look for the youtube video of DED's full 9min version, control the volume enough that you can here the dialogue and play it the moment Ange disappears and Battler challenges Beato again.

It actually makes the entire episode 5x better.
Old 2009-12-24, 05:34   Link #157
Servant-Kanon
~* Ushiromiya Servant *~

Hmz even thought the battle etc. was to short I kinda like this episode
but I miss Dreamenddischarger + Bern + Lambda trollfaces
Btw wtf is with those blue truth stakes ôo weren't they suppose to glow blue ?
'Cause as we all know they did in the VN ._.

It's not Even DEENs fault ...
Blame Kon Chiaki D:
Old 2009-12-24, 05:43   Link #158
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I would actually suggest that everyone look for the youtube video of DED's full 9min version, control the volume enough that you can here the dialogue and play it the moment Ange disappears and Battler challenges Beato again.

It actually makes the entire episode 5x better.
Oh really? I used the original DED after the eyecatch and it didn't feel as matching. I should try it from where you mentioned. The anime DED actually fits quite well if you start it a little later than after the eyecatch so it ends the same time the anime's GS ends.
Old 2009-12-24, 05:59   Link #159
Rei-Tenshi

I'm glad this is finally over.

Like somebody said, this was a goddamn tragedy.
Old 2009-12-24, 06:12   Link #160
Geekodot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Oh really? I used the original DED after the eyecatch and it didn't feel as matching. I should try it from where you mentioned. The anime DED actually fits quite well if you start it a little later than after the eyecatch so it ends the same time the anime's GS ends.
Start the Rose Crimson Dreamenddischarger after the eyecatch and it fits perfectly, like it was MADE for that scene (which it probably was...)
Closed Thread