Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-01-06, 18:41   Link #381
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I may be wrong, but we've yet to see a UC TV series completely free of Tomino's directing. Other than that, there's nothing particularly different about UC that would make it less suited for a TV series than any AU series would be.
Unless they can tell the story without referencing any of the backstory, then a TV series would be fine. However, I for one find the various references to the backstory to enrich the UC productions.
Old 2011-01-06, 19:05   Link #382
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Unless they can tell the story without referencing any of the backstory, then a TV series would be fine. However, I for one find the various references to the backstory to enrich the UC productions.
I don't see why a TV series can't have any reference to backstories.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 19:16   Link #383
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
I don't see why a TV series can't have any reference to backstories.
It's not so much that they can't; it's just that, for a lot of UC material, you'd need to have at least read a detailed summary of the various productions to fully appreciate the references.
Old 2011-01-06, 19:35   Link #384
monster

Quote:
It's not so much that they can't; it's just that, for a lot of UC material, you'd need to have at least read a detailed summary of the various productions to fully appreciate the references.
Even if that were true, how would an OVA or film format make a difference?
Old 2011-01-06, 19:39   Link #385
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Because there's only so much you can do, somewhat limiting the need to play upon previous stories. Gundam Unicorn is an exception, since it was specifically written to be so reliant on back story. The Gundam 00 movie was fresh after the TV series, and took the time to explain the few concepts carried over from the series that needed to be explained (which, really, was only Innovators).
Old 2011-01-06, 19:58   Link #386
monster

Quote:
Because there's only so much you can do, somewhat limiting the need to play upon previous stories.
Eh, but you don't need to play upon previous stories, even for a TV series. That's why they're called backstories. They're there to enrich, as you say, the story. But the past is the past, things change and people and stories move forward.
Old 2011-01-06, 21:16   Link #387
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Eh, but you don't need to play upon previous stories, even for a TV series. That's why they're called backstories. They're there to enrich, as you say, the story. But the past is the past, things change and people and stories move forward.
That's what Victory Gundam does to an extent... Creating a new story within UC that is basically independent of past stories, but is still set in the same universe.

However, the problem is that there are so much history, so much standards, and so much expectations of UC, especially by the conservative Gundam fandom, that the burden placed on any new director would be way too heavy. That is why Bandai went with AU... More freedom for each new creative team to make a Gundam show in their own style.

Quote:
The difference is that OVAs/movies tend to be targeted at existing fans, whereas TV shows need to appeal to a casual audience.
Old 2011-01-06, 21:28   Link #388
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
However, the problem is that there are so much history, so much standards, and so much expectations of UC, especially by the conservative Gundam fandom, that the burden placed on any new director would be way too heavy. That is why Bandai went with AU... More freedom for each new creative team to make a Gundam show in their own style.

The difference is that OVAs/movies tend to be targeted at existing fans, whereas TV shows need to appeal to a casual audience.
Ah, so it's not really UC itself that's more suited for OVAs/movies, but the expectations of conservative UC fans.

Now I understand. But since I don't consider myself one of those, I hope that in the future (maybe not later this year), Bandai (not Sunrise?) will be willing to target less conservative audience with a UC series.
Old 2011-01-06, 21:53   Link #389
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Ah, so it's not really UC itself that's more suited for OVAs/movies, but the expectations of conservative UC fans.

Now I understand. But since I don't consider myself one of those, I hope that in the future (maybe not later this year), Bandai (not Sunrise?) will be willing to target less conservative audience with a UC series.
That would mean going the F91/Victory route, but neither of those were commercial successes...

I think the other problem is the need for the TV series to appeal to the female crowd, and Sunrise's obsession with using a cast entirely full of bishounens in order to do so...

UC fans will have collective stomach ulcers at the thought of mass bishounens in a UC show, unfortunately.
Old 2011-01-06, 23:16   Link #390
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

This is why I think a UC series set WAY after G-Saviour, would be a good choice for Sunrise. You can set it so far from other UC shows, that in a way, it feels like an AU.

A new story that doesn't use the past wars as some sort of background plot.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 00:07   Link #391
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
This is why I think a UC series set WAY after G-Saviour, would be a good choice for Sunrise. You can set it so far from other UC shows, that in a way, it feels like an AU.
Then whats the point? If its UC, but it doesn't feel like UC, then what are the advantages of making it a UC in the first place? UC fans generally wouldn't give a crap, just like they don't care about G-Saviour... Plus it has the potential to scare of new viewers as well, just because of the idea that its a pre-existing timeline with tons of history and a big learning curve.

Not to mention the technology would either be too futuristic for Gundam, or make no sense like in G-Saviour.
Old 2011-01-07, 03:01   Link #392
v717

In the new series the spacenoids, zaft, neo zeon, i mean the guys that live in space should be the good guys and win in the end, not the earth federation and sorts.
v717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 03:25   Link #393
monster

Quote:
That would mean going the F91/Victory route, but neither of those were commercial successes...

I think the other problem is the need for the TV series to appeal to the female crowd, and Sunrise's obsession with using a cast entirely full of bishounens in order to do so...

UC fans will have collective stomach ulcers at the thought of mass bishounens in a UC show, unfortunately.
Fans aside (both for UC and bishounens), there will always be a risk when you try something new. But there's also a chance of success. And if they did, it could mean a significant development to the UC universe. But I guess they could play it safe and leave the interesting stuff to an AU series.
Quote:

A new story that doesn't use the past wars as some sort of background plot.
I don't know if we have to go that far. Using past wars as a background plot can be useful as long as they stay in the background and not heavily impact the ongoing plot.
Quote:
Then whats the point? If its UC, but it doesn't feel like UC, then what are the advantages of making it a UC in the first place? UC fans generally wouldn't give a crap, just like they don't care about G-Saviour... Plus it has the potential to scare of new viewers as well, just because of the idea that its a pre-existing timeline with tons of history and a big learning curve.

Not to mention the technology would either be too futuristic for Gundam, or make no sense like in G-Saviour.
While I don't think there's a need to have a future series like what GN0010 Nosferatu imagined, a series relatively far in the future (like say 50-100 years after Victory) can still work as a UC series. The point of being in the same universe means that you can take certain things for granted, mainly in the science, technology, and history.

So a series in the UC universe already has the basis of Minovsky particles, mobile weapons, Newtypes, and all the rich history that is the UC universe. You take all that, add new characters and plots, and stop acting like Zeon and the Federation still hate each other, then you can get yourself a truly new series. And it will still be a UC series in all the other ways that matter.

And as for new viewers, the science and technology can be easily explained to them in the context of the series, like any other sci-fi series. And if it's far enough in the future, previous works can be referenced as part of history without having the need for new viewers to really know those works.
Old 2011-01-07, 03:47   Link #394
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

I want to see the next gundam series hopefully take a few notes from Armored Core to show war is hell. In Armored Core, you weren't the savior of humanity. You worked for corporations who gladly threw lives away to further their influence on the world. You can even become a complete monster if you want to.

I swear to god an gundam series that takes bits from Armored Core will be awesome
Old 2011-01-09, 04:29   Link #395
mechdra

When it comes to UC, I still hope that Crossbone Gundam could be animated. The story is well , done with characters form diffrent generation and diffrent technology. The manga may be old but I think it is worth animated.

If they really wouldlike to do a new series not related to anything done in the past, then do it completely new like:
1. Female Gundam pilot (must be loli with twintail)
2. Heavy element of shonen ai
3. Magic (not GN miracle)
4. Weird culture
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 05:26   Link #396
NextTac

Hopefully this series will have a fresh story. Tried of the lets eliminate all violence plotline. And didn't they said Gundam 00 was the last in the series? I remember reading that awhile ago..
NextTac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 06:36   Link #397
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTac View Post
Hopefully this series will have a fresh story. Tried of the lets eliminate all violence plotline. And didn't they said Gundam 00 was the last in the series? I remember reading that awhile ago..
Nothing of sort. The closest thing is they talked about Gundam 00 movie being a closure for the Gundam 00 series.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:43   Link #398
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Yeah, Sunrise stopping Gundam? Their biggest most popular cash cow? That'd be company suicide.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 18:20   Link #399
Fotbollsgraes
formerly Last_Hope

I´m hoping for a full length series like 08th MS Team / MS Igloo. I do know that overpowered mobile suits known as Gundam (nani!?) is one of the foundations of the show but still... No, overpowered miracle´s just grunts loving other grunts.

Gundam isn´t stopping anytime soon. Especially since all the timelines are open for continuation without the need of any surrealistic plotholes.
Fotbollsgraes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 19:06   Link #400
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Yeah, Sunrise stopping Gundam? Their biggest most popular cash cow? That'd be company suicide.
Sunrise? What about its parent, the international multi-billion dollar company Namco Bandai Holdings??? Gundam happens to be its most profitable franchise by far. It ain't ever ending.