AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index II - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 72 67.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 17.76%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 5.61%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.93%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.93%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-06, 23:07   Link #261
Cantelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
this would be better discussed about here http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=92229

and while you're at it, care to tackle the whole building bullet feat as well? it'd be interesting to know exactly what should have happened there...
Eh it's not really a dissection of his powers, but moreso a dissection of why Kihara's ability to hit Accelerator is pure nonsense. Since this is purely episode specific, I decided to leave it here for anyone curious.

As for the building bullet in episode 21, I'm assuming that the general basis of the act was that as he pushes up on the building, the building exerts a normal force in an equal but opposite direction back down on his arm. Accelerator redirects that normal force back upwards in the same direction as his arm, and in turn the building now exerts a new normal force downwards the same magnitude as the combined new upwards force from the previously directed vector. In this fashion, the amount of upwards force doubles until it's large enough to rip the building of its foundation and then all of the force is redirected in the desired direction of launch.

Clever application of his powers, which I like, and it's somewhat believable if you accept what I call the "magic" of fiction (unfortunately Kihara is far far beyond acceptable levels for me). What would probably happen in reality is that, because the force being exerted upwards is only being redirected from his arm, is that the amount of pressure on that small area would simply cause his arm to begin slicing through the building like butter, instead of lifting the entire building from the ground.

Imagine trying to pick up a cake with just a single finger, without the assistance of a plate underneath it. Your finger would simply tear the cake apart, because it isn't able to push back on your finger as hard as your finger is pushing upwards. In the same fashion, the amount of force the support beams in a building can exert downwards is also limited, and I'm confident that a single steel beam cannot exert a downward force equal to the entire weight of the entire building.

We can easily escape this thought process by accepting the "magic" of fiction. I choose to pretend that all of the support beams in Academy City are made of carbon nano-tubes. A very expensive city, but eh, it helps me sleep at night.

All wroooooong.

Just did some reading and apparently he redirected energy from Earth's linear angular momentum into launching the building. The kinetic energy of a massive rotating body is Iw^2, which in the case of Earth is roughly 2.57x10^29 (257 quintillion billion) joules. The change in energy, or work, in this case is enough to slow the rotation of earth by 5 minutes, which means the angular velocity w is now 7.29754x10^-5 (calculated from 2*pi/(24*60*60 + 5*60 seconds). The new rotational energy of Earth is roughly 2.55x10^29 joules, meaning Accelerator has about 1.78x10^27 joules to work with (enough energy to launch a Saturn V rocket completely out of Earth's gravity well 237 trillion times).

Needless to say, if he redirected all of that energy into a building, the result would be catastrophic for the entire city, I hope is self-evident. Think about it, we're talking 1.78x10^24 kilojoules of energy here. This is the equivalent energy of 21,141,001,293 (21.1 billion) nuclear explosions.

So if you're asking me what would happen realistically, I can't really say for certain. Most likely the building would be destroyed so utterly that we'd see nuclear fission as the chemical bonds between every compound in the building get torn apart in the high energy environment, and subsequently the atoms also breaking apart. The explosive force would be so destructive everything within a radius of about 3000 miles would be completely obliterated.

Scary to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
That's a work of beauty
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
To cantelope.

You sir are smart. Though I'm pretty sure even the author knows it's bullshit for a normal human but looking now it seems kihara is the mike Tyson of science. That's probably the inspiration. Why ? He has a tattoo on his face and his style is boxing
You flatter me, but thank you. Does Mike Tyson work for NASA, launching 120,000 kg rockets into space with his punches? If so, Kihara could very well be the Mike Tyson of science, but I'm inclined to believe otherwise--no disrespect to Mr. Tyson intended, and I acknowledge how amazing he is nonetheless.

Last edited by Cantelope; 2011-03-07 at 00:22. Reason: Assumed some wrong things
Cantelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 23:47   Link #262
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantelope View Post
Eh it's not really a dissection of his powers, but moreso a dissection of why Kihara's ability to hit Accelerator is pure nonsense. Since this is purely episode specific, I decided to leave it here for anyone curious.

As for the building bullet in episode 21, I'm assuming that the general basis of the act was that as he pushes up on the building, the building exerts a normal force in an equal but opposite direction back down on his arm. Accelerator redirects that normal force back upwards in the same direction as his arm, and in turn the building now exerts a new normal force downwards the same magnitude as the combined new upwards force from the previously directed vector. In this fashion, the amount of upwards force doubles until it's large enough to rip the building of its foundation and then all of the force is redirected in the desired direction of launch.

Clever application of his powers, which I like, and it's somewhat believable if you accept what I call the "magic" of fiction (unfortunately Kihara is far far beyond acceptable levels for me). What would probably happen in reality is that, because the force being exerted upwards is only being redirected from his arm, is that the amount of pressure on that small area would simply cause his arm to begin slicing through the building like butter, instead of lifting the entire building from the ground.

Imagine trying to pick up a cake with just a single finger, without the assistance of a plate underneath it. Your finger would simply tear the cake apart, because it isn't able to push back on your finger as hard as your finger is pushing upwards. In the same fashion, the amount of force the support beams in a building can exert downwards is also limited, and I'm confident that a single steel beam cannot exert a downward force equal to the entire weight of the entire building.

We can easily escape this thought process by accepting the "magic" of fiction. I choose to pretend that all of the support beams in Academy City are made of carbon nano-tubes. A very expensive city, but eh, it helps me sleep at night.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You flatter me, but thank you. Does Mike Tyson work for NASA, launching 120,000 kg rockets into space with his punches? If so, Kihara could very well be the Mike Tyson of science, but I'm inclined to believe otherwise--no disrespect to Mr. Tyson intended, and I acknowledge how amazing he is nonetheless.
just saying

in the novels its said that his fighting stance was like a boxer
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote