AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 25 [End] Rating
Perfect 10 69 57.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 30.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 5.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-23, 12:33   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I just remembered they never explained what was in that psycho buster letter. Can somebody post it in spoiler tags? (Kuromitsu? )
Old 2013-03-23, 12:50   Link #62
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

At the end of a series with source material, when I don't care about being spoiled, it'd be nice to be able to parse a thread using search, to only show posts that contain spoilers, so I could go back to all the previous threads and read all the stuff I've skipped.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-03-23, 12:53   Link #63
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I actually think that these two endings are very similar.
They are similar but only on the surface in my opinion.

I don't want to get too off topic by talking about Pyschopass in here so I am putting my response in this thread about both series

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=118303
Old 2013-03-23, 12:54   Link #64
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABD View Post
Maybe I'm dense.. but there's something I don't usderstand..

"Why didn't the death feedback affect Maria's child when she slaughtered Kiroumaru's army?
She didn't. She disarmed Kiroumaru's army with her Cantus and Squealer's army killed them.
Old 2013-03-23, 13:19   Link #65
Kheve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I think you are not understanding what I mean by tragedy.

Unfortunately it might be tragic that the PK users didn't learn anything and it might be tragic that the monster rats are still not treated as human, but this is a not a tragedy in a literary sense.
Its not a tragedy coz it anime version. If u read the novel, ull realise the ending is sadder and bleaker than in the anime.

Basically all the heroes and heroines of shinsekai yori were worst than the horrible emperors we saw in the first few episodes. Think about it, u r now the bakenezumi, plz do not even think of saki and satoru as humans like we are. We are the bakenezumi, intelligent, sentient and without psychic powers. Reduced to living worse than a slave just becoz there emerge a bunch of new species with psychic powers.

The author is obviously anti genetic modification that is being carried out. And presents a possibility of the abuse that can happen especially when wielded by scientist who thinks they know best for the world.
Old 2013-03-23, 13:25   Link #66
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
They are similar but only on the surface in my opinion.

I don't want to get too off topic by talking about Pyschopass in here so I am putting my response in this thread about both series

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=118303
^I haven't seen PsychoPass and I don't think I will any time soon, so I read the post, and I would like to point out that in Shinsekai yori things are changing by the end, or rather, as Tomiko's successor, Saki is trying to change things. Don't forget, there was 10 years between Squealer's trial and the epilogue. Back then Saki wasn't even a member of the Ethics committee, now she's the leader.

(They never say it outright in the anime that she has succeeded Tomiko, but there's a lovely clue: she's sitting in Tomiko's office.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheve View Post
Its not a tragedy coz it anime version. If u read the novel, ull realise the ending is sadder and bleaker than in the anime.
Bleaker, yes, but I don't think it's sadder... the anime kept pretty close, they only omitted the info about akki, gouma, and genetics.
Old 2013-03-23, 13:33   Link #67
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

Soo.. nothing changed in the end? Humans remained as arrogant as ever, as evidenced by Squealer's trial and keeping him in that horrifying state (I was relieved when Saki finally put him out of his misery). The numerous tainted kittens also means that they'll continue to kill any child that shows the slightest hint of turning into a fiend. And the poor Queerats will be kept on a far tighter leash than before if they were lucky enough to escape outright extermination. And even if some Queerats tried to rebel again, a trump card like a human child probably won't work since the humans know about death feedback now.

Kind of a depressing ending really, but also a very fitting one for the series. Kiroumaru remains my favorite character, a true bro until the very end.
Old 2013-03-23, 14:00   Link #68
kuromitsu

Btw, someone just noticed this...

DAAAAAAAAAMN.

Twist that knife some more, would you, director?
Old 2013-03-23, 14:04   Link #69
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Okay, at the end of all this, I've noticed some pretty heavy WWII-like references that may or may not be a coincidence. I posted this about episode 20:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxor on Feb. 18
I saw the parallels between the atomic bombings and the village’s insistence that each person was like a walking, latent nuclear bomb. And then I saw how the aftermath with burnt buildings and people asking for water was EXACTLY how Barefoot Gen depicted post-bomb Hiroshima.

And then you realize how much the pro-democracy, technologically/tactically advanced alliance of queerats eerily resembles the Allies…
And now, in this episode,
Spoiler for spoiler:

Damn.
Old 2013-03-23, 14:07   Link #70
kuromitsu

>LuxorMG

And one post above yours...
Old 2013-03-23, 14:31   Link #71
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They could have. The thing is, they didn't only want to prevent a war... they wanted to make sure they would remain the dominant "species", so they needed to be able to kill them if need arose. They could have also gotten rid of their PK. They didn't because they wanted to remain "Gods".
Should've just killed them all from the start then. What a legacy for the world. Could probably write a history book just on all the chaos and resultant craziness of the previous 1000 years.

Here's for hoping they polished up their akki and gouma prevention techniques so the next 1000 years isn't full of more crazy.
Old 2013-03-23, 14:36   Link #72
ookamigirl

Using Kiroumaru as bait for the fiend to kill triggered a death feedback and solved everything.
Interesting how her wrong "wiring" was the end of her..
Yakomaru finally got what he deserved, but the punishment was horrible.
Well, at least the humans learned that queerats didn't like being slaves.
Looks like Yakomaru told the truth when he sad "We are humans!"
The harsh truth finally came out... I was kinda expecting something like this.
Nice final episode with all the explanations.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-03-23, 14:37   Link #73
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That was awesome. I was really hoping Saki was going to ask what happened to Maria and Mamoru, but I guess we'll just assume they were killed in their sleep or something.
Old 2013-03-23, 15:27   Link #74
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

It's interesting to see that people criticized the Psycho-Pass end for being predictable and safe, yet this one was equally predictable and safe. The revelation that queerrats were humans was predicted long ago, and Yakomaru's objective was always clear. They have been enslaved to the human beings and wanted to break free of them the entire time. And guess what?

Spoiler for PP spoiler:

Anyhow, I thought that was a very strong ending for the series, but the consistency of the show on a week to week basis is not as strong as it could have been (Relatively speaking of course.). A lot of episodes the art direction is very interesting, but a lot of others there's a disappointing drop in quality. The setting of this show ended up being more interesting than the characters of themselves. Saki kind of regressed a bit in the last arc, and while Satoru was always good, Shun was severely underdeveloped and was hard to take too seriously as a deep connection to Saki. Kiroumaru and Squealer felt more interesting to me than basically every human.

Sometimes the scene transitioning also seemed very wonky. I remember some particularly bad ones in episodes 5-6. One example is where they saw Kiroumaru's boat and then all of sudden they cut away to them being on the boat and a conversation already took place. Sometimes it did well to make the show feel brisk and easy to watch, but it sometimes felt a little jarring.

The logic of the world is not always perfect either. The idea that someone couldn't sacrifice themselves to kill someone is still ill-explained when. apparently, inadvertently killing someone will still kill you (As illustrated in this episode). I don't follow the logic here, and it makes death feedback feel a little bit too convenient of a tool at times.
Old 2013-03-23, 15:48   Link #75
Bombo
TSF Fans

I'm so happy for ending 10/10
Yukomaru just die ten thousand times !!!! you really pissed me off !!!.
Satoru & sAKI MARRIED ...LOVE <3 .
Old 2013-03-23, 15:56   Link #76
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My only major issue in this finale was Squealer's "punishment". That does make the cantus-using humans that sat in judgement of him appear... truly monstrous. Arguably beyond redemption.

I understand that Squealer's war crimes are quite severe, particularly from the perspective of his human enemies. And yet, there are certain punishments that are so cruel and harsh that it taints those who mete out the punishment. That is definitely true here, and it slightly undermines an otherwise brilliant and hopeful ending, imo.

But thankfully, Saki had the moral clarity to put Squealer out of his misery, minimizing the negative aspect of this part of the conclusion for me.

While Squealer's ultimate end was honestly far crueler than I think he deserved (even when you factor in Saki mercy-killing him), I'm glad that his side of the story was finally told, and by Squealer himself. Maybe it's naive of me, but I honestly think Squealer was more or less completely honest in this episode. I truly do think he felt that his actions would be for the eventual betterment of his species.

In fairness, maybe he had deluded himself into thinking that in order for him to have some small degree of self-esteem when faced with the incredibly bleak circumstances he found himself in during his last conversation with Saki and Satoru. Still, even if he did delude himself into thinking that, I think that speaks to how he at least recognizes the absolute need for his actions to be for "the greater good" if they were to be defensible at all. At least he had that tiny spark of moral clarity if nothing else.

But one thing I don't think he was deluding himself about is how he defended himself and the Queerats during his trial. His defense was passionate and clearly heart-felt.

The only change I'd personally make to this ending is for Saki to have killed Squealer before this simply horrid show-trail and disgustingly disturbing punishment had a chance to occur. I would have had Saki scream at Squealer "You're going to pay for your crimes, but before you do, I want to know why? Why?!"

Squealer then explains himself, and Saki shows some small measure of understanding over his words, and then Saki executes him on the spot, later going on to say that she killed him "in battle". I think that would have been a bit more dignified - Both as an end for Squealer, and also for maintaining more dignity (and sense of possible redemption) for the cantus-using humans of SSY.

Aside from that, thought, excellent ending. Personally, I do see real hope here. I see real hope due to Saki. Saki has her doubts, her fears, and can be a bit of a scaredy-cat and crybaby at times. But she consistently follows her heart, and she has the guts and moral clarity to typically make good decisions, even when nobody else will. And she often risks a lot in making those decisions.

Saki, I think, is also in a decent position to effect real, lasting, and positive change.
Old 2013-03-23, 16:00   Link #77
Griffith

This was a much better finale than I expected, given the somewhat-rushed pacing of the last few episodes. I kind of suspected a while ago that the bakenezumi were the former humans, since they couldn't just disappear in that timeframe. Squealer was a great antagonist, in that even though he does terrible things you can kind of empathize with him as well, because his opponents are guilty of the same or even worse. I really enjoyed the show as a whole, despite some directorial and pacing issues. It's easily one of my favorites in recent memory, and I really hope that the novel it's based on gets an official localization so I can support the author. This will probably be the extremely rare case that I actually buy the BD release of an anime, as well; hopefully they fix some of the animation problems.
Old 2013-03-23, 16:04   Link #78
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
One thing I forgot to mention - I'm glad that "the fiend" went down. Going into this episode, I was fearful that Saki would "win big", successfully save/rehabilitate "Maria's child" and that this might take some of the edge off of this narrative. Thankfully, that didn't happen.
Old 2013-03-23, 16:19   Link #79
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by charizardpal View Post

What Saki should have done was brought the truth out for the masses so they could confront their sins and change. In real life this was done in South Africa following aparteheid (see: Truth and Reconciliation Commission.) As it is, she never even tells humanity Squealer was right about them being humans. (For that matter I'm surprised Squealer didn't try to prove that to anyone at the trial, just to become a martyr and ensure someone would change things later in history. Sort of seems weak really. I don't think he even told his own race the truth, so it must have been hard to lead them.
I believe Squealer had a very logical rationale for not precisely explaining his grievance. If he had brought up the fact that the queerrats were genetically altered non-Cantus humans before the committee, all it may have done is seal the fate of the queerrat race. Unlike South Africa, the Cantus humans did not have a world to keep them from sweeping the problem under the rug or in this case, erasing/exterminating the problem.

Given what we already know about the society, all this truth would have done is make it harder for those like Saki to save the queerrat race from extinction. The committees, even if faced with the truth and the necessary evidence like the DNA, still placed the maintenance of their society above others. If they know one queerrat managed to figure it out, they will logically conclude that others would eventually as well, and use it to upset the status quo they are obsessed with maintaining. They will in that case, exterminate the queerrats completely to remove all trace of evidence and possibility; like Satoru said, the queerrats "aren't" human in their minds, even if Saki and Satoru started thinking of them as such. Even the possibility that the queerrats could be seen as human would be a sufficient enough danger for everyone, as exemplified by the rebellion.

I think Saki figured this out too, and another reason why she was able to in some way acknowledge Squealer. Squealer's challenge to the mob was definite enough to evoke curiosity by those who seek the truth and vague enough for the bigots to ignore him.
Old 2013-03-23, 17:22   Link #80
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Btw, someone just noticed this...

DAAAAAAAAAMN.

Twist that knife some more, would you, director?
Oh damn... In conjunction with my previous post, it looks like the author likely is making a commentary on countries that have nuclear power, and the Children's Peace Memorial is supposed to symbolize Saki's wish for a conflict-free future. And of course, that all related to "The power of imagination is what changes everything". Excellent find, man.