AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-03-08, 15:42   Link #21
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Vagrant Story totally didn't deserve a perfect score either.

Anyway, It's still good news to me. At least someone thinks the new FF is amazing, so it can't be very bad!
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 16:09   Link #22
SuperAsuradaGundam

Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
It should be a good game since the game took neary a half a decade to make
SuperAsuradaGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 08:33   Link #23
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Hmmm, I loved Vagrant Story for the sounds (music and SFX were superb), the dark story, and the weapon customization. Plus the fact that you need some skill to pull off 30+ chains. ^^ Sad to see that not many share my view. Also, didn't Tekken 3 or something get perfect score at Famitsu as well?

Going back to topic, nice to know that FF got a good score from Famitsu. I just hope it really turns out to be good and match FF3/6.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 10:02   Link #24
Eclipze

I sincerly hope that the side quests are not a bore fest like FF X's...

And I'm a little concerned over the character designs, since I can barely see the "distinctiveness" of the characters (compared to FF7-10). Not forgetting the "Star Wars" vibe I keep getting from the screenshots...
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 11:17   Link #25
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius
Hmmm, I loved Vagrant Story for the sounds (music and SFX were superb), the dark story, and the weapon customization. Plus the fact that you need some skill to pull off 30+ chains. ^^ Sad to see that not many share my view. Also, didn't Tekken 3 or something get perfect score at Famitsu as well?
Totally agree with you there. Vagrant Story is, IMHO, the greatest game Square (now Square Enix) has ever made.

It's great to see FFXII got a perfect score. Now, if only I could play the japanese version, that would be even better.
Old 2006-03-09, 15:07   Link #26
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
With enough money even Zero Wing could get a 40/40
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 15:26   Link #27
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Blah, Vagrant Story was a joke. I actually gave up on it and never completed it.

There is only one character so there is almost no strategy at all in the battles. Just try to gain as many attack turns in a row as possible by moving and spamming the attack button and you're set. The weapon customization was unnecessarily complicated and to me was more of an annoyance than a feature.

Not good, but maybe that's just me.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 17:58   Link #28
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
With enough money even Zero Wing could get a 40/40
Hardly the case with FF games. I mean, it took the series more than 20 years and twelve games to get a perfect score from Famitsu.
Old 2006-03-09, 18:29   Link #29
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I actually hated VS for my first tries into the game, haha. But I stayed with it and eventually liked it. Anyway, enough about VS lol. The problem with FF is they tend to focus too much on graphics. Gameplay is somewhat, boring, to say. Alot of the FF's strategy consist of "HOLD O/X BUTTON". I actually saw some improvement in FFX, where they made some enemies really high RES or DEF, then you'd need to switch in somebody. Although FFX post-game was really bad.
Old 2006-03-09, 18:46   Link #30
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

Well, the perfect score is welcome news, but I still can't seem to get excited about FFXII. I mean come on, Nintendogs got a perfect score. I'll admit that it was pretty innovative and cute, but besides that I seriously don't see why it deserved the 40/40.

I'll probably remain skeptical until it's released in the US.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 19:16   Link #31
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Didn't Shadow the Hedgehog get a high rating in Famitsu?

I always used to hear things like "Famitsu are so strict with review scores" but every time I check magicbox for latest famitsu scores, it seems to contradict that statement.

But whatever, it's all just opinion....
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 19:51   Link #32
Eclipze

Quote:
The problem with FF is they tend to focus too much on graphics. Gameplay is somewhat, boring, to say. Alot of the FF's strategy consist of "HOLD O/X BUTTON". I actually saw some improvement in FFX, where they made some enemies really high RES or DEF, then you'd need to switch in somebody. Although FFX post-game was really bad.

Spoiler for FF X:

Besides, I believe FF VII and IX have the same battle system as Wild arms(1/2), Chorno Cross and most turn based RPG. So how exactly does the "boring" part differ from these other RPGs then?
Old 2006-03-09, 20:57   Link #33
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
Didn't Shadow the Hedgehog get a high rating in Famitsu?
It got a 31/40... OK, but not high.

Famitsu is definitely not any tougher than, say, Gamespot or something. However, in 20 years, it has only given out 6 40/40's, 14 39/40's (5 were from the last two years), and 18 38/40's (3 from 2005)... Considering the fact that this is a weekly magazine, this is a very small number compared to the number of games they've reviewed throughout the years.
Old 2006-03-09, 20:59   Link #34
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWarrior
Well, the perfect score is welcome news, but I still can't seem to get excited about FFXII. I mean come on, Nintendogs got a perfect score. I'll admit that it was pretty innovative and cute, but besides that I seriously don't see why it deserved the 40/40.

I'll probably remain skeptical until it's released in the US.
This is a most interesting comment.

Perhaps we are getting confused with two labels here:

The perfect game & The game that does it's own stuff perfectly.

If we think FFXII is gonna be perfect because of this Famitsu review, we are only getting ourselves prepared for a disappointment. Instead, I'll try to believe that Famitsu gave FFXII a perfect score because it got it's own stuff (gameplay) right and not because it's a perfect game.

That's just what I think of course.
Old 2006-03-10, 00:09   Link #35
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Spoiler for MORE OFF-TOPIC STUFF, just to answer ecplize:

Nice point Daniel E. Although I'm not sure if this is the case for Famitsu's score for Nintendogs, but seeing as alot of games today are mostly same old stuff, Nintendogs probably got their score 'cos it was something fresh, which was also executed nicely (I guess, never seen Nintendogs lol)

Last edited by celcius; 2006-03-10 at 00:23.
Old 2006-03-10, 00:34   Link #36
Eclipze

Quote:
More off-topic stuff, sorry. Just gonna answer exclipze and I'll shutup.

That's why I said "postgame is really bad", exactly for the reasons you stated. I consider going to other sphere grids as a postgame thing, since most casual gamers wouldn't try going for 255 all stats. You can max out luck, although it's gonna take a ridiculously long time. Anyway, I got my characters' luck all the way to 150 I think, and I remember the grid still having alot of ugly spheres (anything below +4). I had more fun doing blitzball in that game, although blitzball was more of "control brother, pull everyone from the opposing team, and then pass to front shooter, sphere shot". Getting skills was sort of fun though, and denying the whole opponent team of any exp as well (except for catcher, who always had 2exp).

Although most turn-based games are essentially the same, the games' systems differ. Whether it be stat growth, weapon leveling, skills equipping, whatever, these are the ones that make your characters. In the case of FF, the game allows you to beat the pulp of majority of the enemies with minimal effort. Hence boring. In FFVII, I remember taping down the O button during dungeons/fields. In VIII, I reached disc 4 with Squall at level 40, and the rest at 20; VIII was also the "press triangle until my limit break appears and HAHA LIONHEART death". In IX, I remember I could take 10-20 mins trying to steal everything and take everything the boss throws at me.
[Me = Self-proclaimed FF IX fanboy ]
Spoiler:

Though, how I wish cheap tricks wont exist in FF XII...
Old 2006-03-10, 00:48   Link #37
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Spoiler:

I hope they don't include re-raise/auto-life. =/, but then it wouldn't be an FF game without it.
Old 2006-03-10, 00:54   Link #38
Eclipze

Quote:
Spoiler:

I hope they don't include re-raise/auto-life. =/, but then it wouldn't be an FF game without it.
Indeed, the trade mark of FF franchise.
Old 2006-03-10, 19:03   Link #39
U<3Anime
Boo!

You can't really trust famitsu because seriously they gave nintendogs 40/40
Old 2006-03-10, 19:29   Link #40
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Visually the fights look a lot like in FFXI, but I believe it actually works very differently.

The game looks great so far and my only complaint is that Vaan is just so damn metrosexual. They really need to stop creating those feminine male protagonists. They could just copy + paste Auron/Vincent/Cid(FF7)/Barret or something and nobody would complain. :P
The demo played very much like FFXI, which isnt a bad thing. The battle mechanics are not what made FFXI sucktastically unbearable.
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote