AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2007-04-03, 17:04   Link #261
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
On a completely unrelated note, I'm kinda surprised at just how many people on this forum read Jason's AoMM blog...
It is the first anime blog I've read, and one of the most hilarious.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 17:10   Link #262
potluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtflux View Post
i have a different theory though. the symbol haruhi had painted on the ground seems like it can be read by the IDSE and other information-related entities. it seems probable to me that what gives haruhi her powers is actually a special information-virus-thing like the one encountered in Wandering Shadow, which may have seen the symbol on Earth, answered her call by coming and attaching itself to whatever wrote it(or maybe it was simply drawn to the sign).
I don't know about that. Kyon traveled back in the past before Haruhi drew that symbol. Doesn't that mean that the "data explosion" etc. occurred before she drew the symbol, and therefore, Haruhi had her powers before then?
potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 17:29   Link #263
wtflux

"I don't know about that. Kyon traveled back in the past before Haruhi drew that symbol. Doesn't that mean that the "data explosion" etc. occurred before she drew the symbol, and therefore, Haruhi had her powers before then?"

well, if it's a 'pre-determined event', that means his traveling in the past may either not have actually been caused by the attachment of the spirit(he just helped her do it; the time travelers made him, not haruhi).

time really is not linear in haruhi, so until tanigawa tells us how it actually all worked, we won't know. mikuru et al are organizing events in the past so that their future can exist. when they say 'pre-determined event', they mean that the events that occur do not cause a time paradox because they all were determined beforehand somehow, i.e. when the reality was created. haruhi's powers may transcend time, since she has the power to create new realities(or maybe she only has the power to change the present and morph the current reality, i don't know). i'd explain more but i have to go to school now =/

i guess the best way to put it is, maybe haruhi created the time block by affecting the recent past after she acquired her powers, and the data explosion either didnt cause the time block or she caused it to occur in the past. an example would be as koizumi suggested, after her initial acquistion of her powers with kyon's help, she created a new world that was more interesting for herself(but still believable, to her) which began before the point in time kyon traveled back to(although i find that version unlikely).

but even if my theory isn't completely right i'm pretty sure that the 'spirits' have some kind of connection to haruhi and her powers, even if they aren't the true source of it. if i wanted to go out on a limb i'd say that tanigawa is trying to make it so that the god/goddess of tanabata is actually one of those spirits and attached itself to haruhi =p

wild, i guess, but the theory's fun to think about.

Last edited by wtflux; 2007-04-03 at 18:15.
wtflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 18:16   Link #264
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I am waiting for the big event. Everyone keeps telling Kyon he will know eventually. My guess is something monsterous will happen before this series ends.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 20:23   Link #265
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I am waiting for the big event. Everyone keeps telling Kyon he will know eventually. My guess is something monsterous will happen before this series ends.
I don't believe anything monstrous will happen. All that will happen is that Kyon finally gets a clue about Haruhi's feelings towards him and does something about it.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 02:53   Link #266
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I don't believe anything monstrous will happen. All that will happen is that Kyon finally gets a clue about Haruhi's feelings towards him and does something about it.

I think Kyon subconsciously knows already, he's just not letting himself know consciously.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 04:13   Link #267
Forgetful_Duck
Dame Ningen

Yeh no joke, he's already kissed her anyway in volume 1
Forgetful_Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 09:31   Link #268
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Spoiler for Kyon talk with a bit of Vol 9:
Okay, fair enough. So let's reverse my theory; Haruhi isn't unique, as is proven by the existence of Sasaki. Which would mean that in this world, there is more than one "source of power", and Haruhi and Sasaki are just two of them. However, Kyon is the "focus lens" that allows that power to manifest itself in this world, by altering reality.

How does this one sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
On a completely unrelated note, I'm kinda surprised at just how many people on this forum read Jason's AoMM blog...
I'll have to admit, I only started reading anime blogs when I was following Kanon. Even so though, AoMM stood out for me for its particular brand of humor; it's witty and hilarious, does great parodies like there's no tomorrow, and yet Jason knows how to NOT take himself too seriously. I really like that kind of humor when it's done right, and Jason does it right, 'nuff said.

Which is a heck of a lot more than I can say for certain other blogs, Karura's Azure Flame being a prime example; she also does parodies, but her cynicism just shows through everything she tried to write, and she tries too hard to take herself seriously. And it only makes for tasteless, even vulgar content in the end. Heck, I only frequented it until recently because it's the only anime blog in the anime blogosphere that DanielSong39 frequents, and as some of us here know that DanielSong39 is on my 'stalker' list...

Quote:
kyon being some sort of key to power doesn't seem out of the question.

after all, at the very beginning of the series, after he first talked to haruhi, he said "this would be the trigger," right? although presumably, the real trigger was three years ago, we can't know what he really meant, or even if he considers the events three years ago to have happened 'before' that, if you know what i mean(although im sure he does).

i have a different theory though. the symbol haruhi had painted on the ground seems like it can be read by the IDSE and other information-related entities. it seems probable to me that what gives haruhi her powers is actually a special information-virus-thing like the one encountered in Wandering Shadow, which may have seen the symbol on Earth, answered her call by coming and attaching itself to whatever wrote it(or maybe it was simply drawn to the sign). This 'spirit' would be the source of her power. This could also explain the fact that her powers can be transferred. This may be a pretty wild theory to some of you, but hey, it explains the connection between the symbol and the fact that her powers are transferable and I don't see anything that prohibits its truth. The fact that Yuki took her powers also gives support to the theory, I think, since she's demonstrated in Wandering Shadow that she can transfer the 'spirits' from one thing to another.

vol9 ending spoiler
Spoiler:
Hmmm, I also see what you mean. And I think we can mesh both our theories together; maybe this 'spirit' is drawn to Earth by Haruhi, but then actively seeks a 'source of power' or a 'focus lens', depending on which theory you place your bets on......and it happens to be Kyon?

Don't know if I'm making sense here, but I tried my best.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:07   Link #269
Anaglyph

Quote:

If anyone does agree, please come forth, as I can't be wrong about my opinions, but I'll freely admit if I've assumed incorrectly about the general opinions of the audience.
Well, I agree with wtflux, for whatever that's worth.

The first book sets up certain expectations of what's to come that have so far not been followed through in any significant way. It's all been setup with very little progress in the plot.

I know next to nothing about how the series came to be written or how it's published, so this is all speculation, but I get the feeling that Tanigawa didn't have any expectation of this turning into a popular series and that he wrote the first book as if it was a stand-alone novel. In other words I think he's winging it and it's starting to show (actually it started to show a few volumes back).

None of which is to say I'm not enjoying the series because I find it great fun. But I would enjoy it more if the overarching plot started moving forward instead of having hints about it dropped here and there without any actual progress.
Anaglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 16:24   Link #270
X207
Gamyūsa

anyone know how fast baka-tsuki is at translating the 9th volume? ie given its lenght wats a rough estimate
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 17:52   Link #271
wtflux

well, the progress is virtually 0 as of now(except for the tidbit of prologue that has been translated, and what i have translated and posted myself(see earlier posts, i think there are one or two excerpts)). but i imagine people are just taking their time reading the book and translation will pick up after they're done.

i'd have translated a bunch myself but i'm busy with college atm =/ which is kind of annoying, because i think translating haruhi is much better learning/practice than actually doing the homework(japanese is relatively easy for me) in addition to being more interesting.

a rough estimate? i'm not sure how fast the other translators are, but i'd say it could easily be completed by july if they're around my level(they're probably better). that would give us 3 months i think? probably wouldn't take that long, since it's summer. i'll be working on it a lot after my classes end(which is soon), at least =p

Last edited by wtflux; 2007-04-04 at 18:07.
Old 2007-04-04, 18:17   Link #272
X207
Gamyūsa

O.O a few months, yike ill give tham 2 weeks or judge it if more ppl estimate a quicker time
Old 2007-04-04, 18:50   Link #273
wtflux

that was a maximum estimate, so it was generous, if i were to give a real estimate i'd probably choose late may-mid june. but if most translators have classes like me, right now's a busy time of the year, with finals/major projects coming up and such.

holycow/kinny or someone else who's been on the project for awhile would probably have a better idea.
Old 2007-04-04, 19:41   Link #274
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaglyph View Post
I know next to nothing about how the series came to be written or how it's published, so this is all speculation, but I get the feeling that Tanigawa didn't have any expectation of this turning into a popular series and that he wrote the first book as if it was a stand-alone novel. In other words I think he's winging it and it's starting to show (actually it started to show a few volumes back).
Frankly, I can't see how anybody who's read Intrigues can think he's "winging it" at this point, but if your primary expectation out of the series is the advancement of the "Haruhi x Kyon" plot and the "WTF Are Haruhi's Powers About" plot, I can understand the disappointment. I still think most people are happy with just a tease here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
anyone know how fast baka-tsuki is at translating the 9th volume? ie given its lenght wats a rough estimate
I think seeing 3 months as an outside guess may be a little optimistic. You've all got to remember that the majority of Baka-Tsuki's translators translate from Chinese, and Chinese translations don't exist yet. In fact, I think there's only two, at the moment, that can translate from Japanese. GDsMDDLFNGR and BaKaFiSh. They're both great translators, but I understand it's a pretty long book, and these guys do have lives. I could see 3 months as a minimum, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

If anybody wants to head over and offer some help, there's a thread on the Baka-Tsuki forum currently running about how many translators they've got (just the two above, so far), and the instructions for registering as a translator is on the main project page, toward the bottom, right above the listing of the editors. Ganbatte!
Old 2007-04-04, 20:10   Link #275
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Frankly, I can't see how anybody who's read Intrigues can think he's "winging it" at this point, but if your primary expectation out of the series is the advancement of the "Haruhi x Kyon" plot and the "WTF Are Haruhi's Powers About" plot, I can understand the disappointment. I still think most people are happy with just a tease here and there.

I think seeing 3 months as an outside guess may be a little optimistic. You've all got to remember that the majority of Baka-Tsuki's translators translate from Chinese, and Chinese translations don't exist yet. In fact, I think there's only two, at the moment, that can translate from Japanese. GDsMDDLFNGR and BaKaFiSh. They're both great translators, but I understand it's a pretty long book, and these guys do have lives. I could see 3 months as a minimum, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

If anybody wants to head over and offer some help, there's a thread on the Baka-Tsuki forum currently running about how many translators they've got (just the two above, so far), and the instructions for registering as a translator is on the main project page, toward the bottom, right above the listing of the editors. Ganbatte!
O.O thats alot of pages

"The structure is as follows:

Prologue: 95 pages

Chapter 1: 53 pages

Chapter 2:
"Alpha 1" - 3.25 pages
"Beta 1" - 5.5 pages
"Beta 2" - 5 pages
"Alpha 2" - 3.5 pages
"Beta 3" - 2 pages
"Alpha 3" - 1 page
"Alpha 4" - 0.5 pages
"Beta 4" - 40 pages

Chapter 3:
"Alpha 5" - 15.5 pages
"Beta 5" - 15 pages
"Alpha 6" - 22 pages
"Beta 6" - 21 pages "
(from that very link u posted)

wats with the alpha and beta?
Old 2007-04-04, 20:31   Link #276
Anaglyph

Quote:
Frankly, I can't see how anybody who's read Intrigues can think he's "winging it" at this point....
That was a poor choice of words. I didn't really want to go into a detailed speculative essay so took the lazy way out.
Anaglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 20:53   Link #277
wtflux

"wats with the alpha and beta?"

there are two different endings, an alpha and a beta ending, and he has different alpha and beta chapters to lead up to each one. i'm not sure exactly how it works, but my guesses are:

1. they both actually happen but he chooses not to write them together for some reason, and vol10 will join them or they will, combined, make up the backstory for vol10
2. it's one of those choose-your-own-ending things, and both are considered 'real endings', which could mean multiple things for vol10
3. it's a 'choose-your-own-ending,' but only one is the real ending, which he will continue in vol 10

personally, im hoping for either 1 or 3(preferably 1). open-ended endings(not related to this) and 'choose-your-own-ending' things are definitely not my ending types of choice.
Old 2007-04-04, 21:01   Link #278
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
"wats with the alpha and beta?"

there are two different endings, an alpha and a beta ending, and he has different alpha and beta chapters to lead up to each one. i'm not sure exactly how it works, but my guesses are:

1. they both actually happen but he chooses not to write them together for some reason, and vol10 will join them or they will, combined, make up the backstory for vol10
2. it's one of those choose-your-own-ending things, and both are considered 'real endings', which could mean multiple things for vol10
3. it's a 'choose-your-own-ending,' but only one is the real ending, which he will continue in vol 10

personally, im hoping for either 1 or 3(preferably 1). open-ended endings(not related to this) and 'choose-your-own-ending' things are definitely not my ending types of choice.

so ultimately the translated vol 1-8 is picking and chosing alpha or beta?
wow this can get confuzling

so if he choses 1 , wat will happen to the other variation of the chapter?
Old 2007-04-04, 21:35   Link #279
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
btw who are those 3 girls who appeared in the illustration?
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 21:41   Link #280
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
btw who are those 3 girls who appeared in the illustration?
maybe they're evil/alternate versions. for we know that SB dude isnt on kyon's side so maybe those 3 would somehow be allied

just by appearance, my best guess would be alien-pink sweather brown/yellow shirt time traveler, dark haired girl suzmiya equivalent

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga