AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-05-12, 13:41   Link #21
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
It depends on the kind of tone I want, and what I'm playing...If I want a good ol' deep bass tone, I'll play with my fingers, but if I want a mid-range tone to what I'm playing, I'll use a pick...Either way, I can't play fast stuff with my fingers; That stuff I'm pick exclusive...
You know, I could probably add that it depends on what I play, as far as playing someone else's song goes...I wouldn't use my fingers for something that was originally played with a pick, like anything Jason Newsted or Justin Chancellor would play, while at the same time, it wouldn't sound right if I played pick on something that was originally played fingerstyle, like anything Geddy Lee or Cliff Burton would play...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 16:32   Link #22
Tier

I tried learning bass but gave it up after not really giving it the effort it deserved. I've been thinking of giving it another shot, though if I do I think I'll look to get lessons from an instructor.

My favorite bass player is Danyel Morgan from Robert Randolph & The Family Band. I saw them play back when I was in school, and he did a sick solo during the show. I wish I could find a recording somewhere (they've got a bunch of their shows up on archive.org but not the one I went to).
Tier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 19:23   Link #23
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Man bass. It's nice to get away from the guitar and play the bass. It's a totally different mind set when your bassing it around.

I picked up the bass after the electric guitar. I found I couldn't get music theory down pat, especially musicall notation for guitar for a beginner can be at times... overwhelming; because you just don't know where to start. But playing the bass has definately helped me on that part. I found myself going through this cycle;
Acoustic guitar -> Electric Guitar -> Bass Guitar -> Electric guitar -> now acoustic...

Doesn't mean I'm just doing acoustic; But I tend to jump around a lot. I appreciate all the aspects of stringed instruments haha.
I don't have a favourite bass player particularily, I'm more of a guitar person in general.

I hate playing other people's music on bass. It can get quite dull since most of the music I listen to, especially rock is pretty generic like:
A-A-A-A-A-E-E-E-E-E-G-G-G-G-G-A-A-A-A-A- rinse and repeat.

It takes a lot of experience (which I don't have) to make dynamic bass lines >_<
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 00:54   Link #24
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I noticed a lot of you guys were talking about how you have to use picks for some songs, which immediately made me think of one video I saw a long time ago. Especially since thrash/heavy is so guitar heavy. It makes me wonder how well this technique works.

Nukerjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 14:41   Link #25
Poey
The Jelly Jam

Send a message via AIM to Poey Send a message via MSN to Poey
^^ Yeah I've always used 3 fingers on electric bass. Billy Sheehan uses all 4 but the pinky is just too short for me, I'd have to change the way I play.

Dethklok!! \m/
Poey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 10:41   Link #26
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I came across this one for the Neil Peart drum solo (long time ago), but of course, that is only one of the good parts. The first part is essentially Geddy Lee, and him giving a great melodic bass performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKBLSkN2sRk

And after hearing songs like this, it always makes you wonder why normal guitarists try a bit more of the bass guitar action.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 17:23   Link #27
Poey
The Jelly Jam

Send a message via AIM to Poey Send a message via MSN to Poey
YYZ is a classic, great stuff from all of them.
Poey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 15:18   Link #28
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Rush's "Vapor Trails" is actually one of a couple albums that I've listened to lately that made me want to pick back up on bass...I was born too late to "grow up with Rush", but that album did get released in my lifetime, and I recently "rediscovered" "Vapor Trails" after I decided to listen to a CD I hadn't listened to in a long time...I forgot how good that stuff was, and I was just mesmerized all over again with Geddy Lee's bass lines, especially with songs like "One Little Victory" and "Ceiling Unlimited"...

All three members of Rush are talented beyond belief, but I really look up to Geddy Lee as a bassist myself...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-27, 00:11   Link #29
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

The bass lines he rips out all while singing are incredible. Particularly in Working Man.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 01:41   Link #30
rockmanxpr

About time to chime in with some Billy Sheehan love! Didn't want to post a vid of just wanking so here's an acutual song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bG8hwZ9Bo
rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-03, 23:18   Link #31
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Thought I'd post up my latest obsession from Jamiroquai (Stuart Zender). Not a tough one but I love the way he plays it and the chord progression they use in the chorus.

wOoOzZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 00:41   Link #32
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

I've been a fan of all three (famously-known, anyway) of Metallica's bassists, and I have a different thing for each of them...While there's no way that Jason Newstead could fill the shoes of Cliff Burton out-right, he's still got his own stuff going on...

I've been watching the 1997 Metallica concert "Cunning Stunts" DVD a lot lately, and Jason Newstead's got a nice little bass/guitar doodle he does half-way through the concert; It's not an "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)", but it's certainly enjoyable...

Old 2009-06-14, 12:49   Link #33
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

bump and a new cool video of somebody tapping on a 5 string. I normally don't like tapping on bass but this guy definitely knows what he's doing.

Old 2009-06-14, 19:21   Link #34
MarshalTito

Victor Wooten is amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiCSBH-uPxI His bass solo at in DMB's #41 Live in Chicago was the inspiration for me to start playing bass.

That and Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) by Cliff Burton. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOmo0ZuyNk
MarshalTito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 10:05   Link #35
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

I'm surprised nobody put up a Les Claypool video yet so here's one. Not my favorite of his stuff but I don't think my favorite solo of his is on youtube. The good stuff starts at around 1min.

Old 2009-06-16, 02:43   Link #36
User91411
Disabled By Request

I don't play the bass, but my favorite bassist is Peter Hook, of Joy Division and New Order fame. I AM a Joy Division/New Order fanboy, but his basslines are excellent IMO. Check out The Perfect Kiss (by New Order, the bass riff was so high I thought it was a guitar riff at first lol) and several Joy Division tracks, like Disorder, She's Lost Control and Transmission for a taste of his bass playing skills. He does play the bass like a lead guitar as well, which makes me think he could have been a decent guitarist.

I also like Larry Graham (Sly & The Family Stone, innovated the famous slap bass playing style), Louis Johnson (played bass for Michael Jackson's Off The Wall and Thriller albums) and Les Claypool too.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 11:49   Link #37
Hejin
Discoholic

Send a message via MSN to Hejin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wOoOzZy View Post
So true so true. A great bassist joke goes, "Bass is like peeing in the pool. Nobody knows it's there but it makes you feel all warm."

--------

I've been playing for 8-9 years and I've gone through a cheap Epiphone, an Ibanez SoundGear (which I must've been high to think it sounded good), and my current bass is a great sounding Cort B4. All four strings.

For amps, I've gone through a used Peavey Sheffield combo, and an Ampeg BA112 combo. I currently have a Fender Bassman150 combo for gigging and at home I have an Ampeg B-500DR head going to an Ampeg 4-10HE.

I have a ton of influences from different styles but the main ones are from funk and soul music. It's tough to narrow it down but I'll take it down to 5 names.

Marcus Miller (more of a percussive bassist, grooves harder than anybody)

Bootsy Collins (another pioneer of bass, bassist for Parliament Funkadelic, I would've put Flea but Bootsy is his biggest influence and it shows)

James Jamerson (a pioneer of bass, performed on 90% of all Motown records, and has played on more #1 hits than anyone in history)

Paul Turner (current bassist for Jamiroquai, has extremely solid rhythm and has great taste with fills)

Stuart Zender (original bassist of Jamiroquai, one of the best all around bassist, has great rhythm, taste with fills, and made some amazing basslines. my current favorite bass player)
I hate to be a fanboy, but I continue to believe that Stuart Zender IS the best Bass player.
Hejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-28, 11:53   Link #38
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

haha. Your avatar says it all.
Old 2009-07-09, 00:20   Link #39
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

A little bump. And sense I just baught a new Jamiroquai album, I'll leave you with some Stuart Zendery goodness.

Old 2009-07-11, 16:35   Link #40
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

The only thing I've come to a Bass is in Guitar Hero. But everyone knows that doesn't count! I actually want to play the real thing and be able to play something besides the recorder and clarinet.
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote