AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-12, 15:55   Link #12581
prescience
Friendly Satanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
given that she is using flight platforms, i doubt it.
If you're talking about ViVid ch14, that doesn't really tell us much. Page 18 shows Teana floating in midair on a magic circle, in the exact same fashion as Nanoha herself on pages 1 and 2.

Quote:
OTOH, as said Vice is elite himself and doesn't have half of Striker era Tea's power.
Actually, Vice said that he isn't an elite, himself. But that could have just been him being self-effacing...
Old 2010-09-12, 16:00   Link #12582
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
It seems to be the other way round. Being able to achieve sustained Flight implies a minimum level of A without the reverse being true. Thus we know Isis is almost certainly at least A grade.
And if she's Canadian, that means she's at least eh grade.
Old 2010-09-12, 16:11   Link #12583
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescience View Post

Actually, Vice said that he isn't an elite, himself. But that could have just been him being self-effacing...
Other people say he is Elite. Vice was still traumatized by almost killing his sister.

Also, it's more 'people need to be A rank in order to fly in upper atmosphere well enough to fight'.

Not just fly.
Old 2010-09-12, 16:24   Link #12584
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
I thought it was A rank to skip going through the air force training myself.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-09-12, 16:45   Link #12585
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Razed by feral ninjas.

Quote:
Sister Schach can't and she's a AAA during StrikerS.
Schah doesn't NEED to fly. Her teleportation probably takes the place of most potential uses flight would have.

I assume that, given Teana's interests, she would have learned how to fly once she had the power to pull it off.
Old 2010-09-12, 17:04   Link #12586
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I assume that, given Teana's interests, she would have learned how to fly once she had the power to pull it off.
And yet as far as we know she ended up learning Starlight Breaker instead in the six months after Jail's festival. Rather than getting a senior Airforce instructor to teach her.

So perhaps she flunked Flight school for some reason other than strength. Indeed having managed to get into Flight School before meeting Suberu implies it isn't for her a matter of strength.
Old 2010-09-12, 17:34   Link #12587
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
True, I hadn't realized she'd gotten that far. The basic soldiers from first season and A's are A-rank themselves, as I understand it, and I didn't think Tia had passed them. If she has that much personal power now, she should be able to fly on her own.
They're not. Again, the majority of the mages are C and B-rank. Even the flying guys.

It's been a misunderstood quote for a long time, but one does not need an A-rank to fly. An A-rank or higher allows you to skip the normally mandatory service in the ground forces and go straight for flight training, but it is not a minimum power requirement.
Old 2010-09-12, 17:53   Link #12588
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I was under the impression in SSX that Teana was flying during the climax.

I don't see why she couldn't fly at this point, especially since it's one of the things she wanted to learn how to do. In the Vivid mock battle we see her using Subaru's wing road to get around, but I don't think that means she can't fly. Considering her fighting style, it'd be better if she didn't fly when she didn't need to. With high consumption spells like her illusions and cloaking, it's best if she battles with an energy conservative mind set.
Old 2010-09-12, 18:06   Link #12589
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^ Negative on Teana flying in SSX. Though I don't exactly remember how it went, it didn't stand out. I'd have reacted on it in that case.

Old 2010-09-12, 18:19   Link #12590
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
^ Negative on Teana flying in SSX. Though I don't exactly remember how it went, it didn't stand out. I'd have reacted on it in that case.
She was "above" where Subaru was in the wreckage, when she used Starlight Breaker to open a path for Subaru and Ix to escape. I can't quote it to you (even though I just read/listened to it like a week ago...) but I also believe it was implicit that she was in the air somehow.
Old 2010-09-12, 18:20   Link #12591
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I had the impression she was standing further away, aiming down, as if the wreckage itself was below ground a bit, in a hole. Ah well. In that case, a platform of some sort.

Old 2010-09-12, 18:34   Link #12592
prescience
Friendly Satanist

At the beginning of track 2-17, you can definitely hear Teana's footsteps, so she isn't flying.

That aside, in track 2-13 Teana talks about going inside the Marine Gardens complex; from that I had assumed that the rest of the action takes place indoors, with Subaru and Ix being underground somewhat.
Old 2010-09-12, 19:15   Link #12593
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I remember her and Wendi being in the air together. But I suppose she could have just been standing on Wendi's board.

In any case, I'm still going to have her fly in some of my fics
Old 2010-09-12, 19:20   Link #12594
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Until ViVid states otherwise, all evidence points to us being allowed to believe whatever the hell we want about Teana's ability to fly.
Old 2010-09-13, 01:28   Link #12595
prescience
Friendly Satanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I remember her and Wendi being in the air together. But I suppose she could have just been standing on Wendi's board.
Nope, we start off hearing Teana running on her own, and then Wendi flies in shortly afterwards. Their conversation wouldn't make sense if they had been flying together.

Quote:
In any case, I'm still going to have her fly in some of my fics
That's fine by me; I'd be glad to know that she can definitely fly somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Until ViVid states otherwise, all evidence points to us being allowed to believe whatever the hell we want about Teana's ability to fly.
Pretty much this. Though I hope ViVid does state otherwise at some point
Old 2010-09-13, 04:11   Link #12596
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
An A-rank or higher allows you to skip the normally mandatory service in the ground forces and go straight for flight training.
Can't be. Teana washed out of Flight Training before she met Subaru during the first day of Ground Forces Training. [Also Command School, but thats irrelevant]

That was before they took their B test, so she has to have been a C or D when she entered Flight Training, without having served in the Ground Forces.
Old 2010-09-13, 07:06   Link #12597
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I like Teana with no flight, so she should think about using the grapple she used in the first episode of StrikerS, but in a more over-the-top Bionic Commando way. And crawl in air vents and jump up and down in elevator shafts like John McClane.
Old 2010-09-13, 07:09   Link #12598
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

And with no flight it sets her apart from everyone else, adding some flavour.

Old 2010-09-13, 09:02   Link #12599
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

That reminds me, it almost apparently on ViVid that Erio can fly now(but still a little confuse we don't know if he reach altitude thanks to Strada or by jumping at high speed), we don't know if Caro can fly by now an subaru doesn't have the need because she can "run in the sky", someone hknows if the forwards(besides Teana) are capable to fly by the time of ViVid or FORCE xD?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2010-09-13, 09:49   Link #12600
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
The problem is, Teana wants to be an Enforcer, and those need to be well-rounded; similar reason to why they gave her dagger modes to be able to engage in close range combat. It would be sucky if she was pursuing a criminal and he escaped because he could fly and she couldn't.

Besides, technically speaking, none of the other forwards can fly, so she's not unique (yes, they do have implements which can get them around through the air, though).
Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, manga, nanoha, seinen