AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-21, 23:08   Link #101
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Keeping track of the cast would be much easier if I were watching more than an ep every two months. As you say, there's enough similarity in their facial characteristics that it's hard to keep everyone straight anyway, as compared to Baccano!.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 23:22   Link #102
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Keeping track of the cast would be much easier if I were watching more than an ep every two months. As you say, there's enough similarity in their facial characteristics that it's hard to keep everyone straight anyway, as compared to Baccano!.
To add to that, the cast of Baccano all had funky, and more importantly, western, names while here it's Japanese jargon ;_;
Old 2012-04-01, 15:14   Link #103
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 13 is available!

Edit: and ep 14 is now available as well!

Last edited by Flower; 2012-04-01 at 18:14. Reason: Whoops!
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 06:49   Link #104
Dop
Mmmm....

Two episodes within days of each other, fantastic.
Again that mixture of serious business and wacky moments, especially Sasuke's faces!

Spoiler for 14:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 23:46   Link #105
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You know, in terms of subtlety, this series has pretty much every other anime blown out of the water.

Oda's death scene was spectacular, but Akechi's was as well, in a totally different way. I think my favorite moment in these eps, though, was the scene where Akechi's men boiled the hemp rope for their final meal as their doom closed in on them. The smile on Akechi's face and the laughter and cheerfulness - absolutely heartbreaking.
Old 2012-04-05, 03:01   Link #106
cyth
Banned

Yeah, but Akechi was still a fool for someone to deceive him like that. The rebellion probably would have happened eventually and it would've been on Akechi's terms.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 11:53   Link #107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Yeah, but Akechi was still a fool for someone to deceive him like that. The rebellion probably would have happened eventually and it would've been on Akechi's terms.
That's the whole point, though. Akechi is transparent - he's exactly the man he seems to be. That makes him honorable, but also made him a soft touch for Hideyoshi, who's completely deceptive.
Old 2012-04-05, 21:05   Link #108
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Akechi seemed the pinnacle of nobility thoroughout both these episodes. Unlike most of the other characters who seem entirely self-absorbed, greedy, and scheming, Akechi appeared to transcend these baser human motivations and aspired to a greater good. I, too, was saddened to watch him die.

Some things in this show are probably apparent to Japanese viewers but leave me wondering what they mean. In this episode it was Sasuke's decision to adopt the tonsure. Does anyone know the significance of his shaving his head? And what was he smoking, by the way? Opium? Tobacco wasn't even known in Europe in the 16th century, so I doubt it was that.

Are all these characters well-known to the average educated Japanese viewer? I'd probably have no problem keeping track of who's who if I watched a show about the American Revolution with Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, and the like. Given the frequency with which the Sengoku period is portrayed in anime, I'd have to guess that the events and personages portrayed here are just as widely known. Hell, the current season now even has a show where they're all characterized as cute girls.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 21:14   Link #109
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You know, in terms of subtlety, this series has pretty much every other anime blown out of the water....
This.

Totally agree.

It is excellent material and deserves a wider fanbase/more appreciation imo.
Old 2012-04-05, 21:54   Link #110
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Some things in this show are probably apparent to Japanese viewers but leave me wondering what they mean. In this episode it was Sasuke's decision to adopt the tonsure. Does anyone know the significance of his shaving his head? And what was he smoking, by the way? Opium? Tobacco wasn't even known in Europe in the 16th century, so I doubt it was that.
Well, my assumption was that it was a form of penance and casting shame on himself - more in line with the defeated samurai shaving the topknot that anything monastic. It's clear that finding out the truth about Hideyoshi set up very complicated and painful emotions, and a whole lot of self-loathing.
Old 2012-06-12, 13:13   Link #111
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

OK, I know I promised not to raise this question again, but really, it's been over two months since an episode of this series has been released. Huzzah doesn't seem to have a website where we might ask about the status of Hyouge Mono. (I don't use IRC and don't intend to start either.) Maybe if I ask nicely here, we'll hear some news from them.

I'm no stranger to shows with long delays. When Shinsen was subbing Oh! Edo Rocket, there were some delays, but then we'd suddenly see half-a-dozen episodes be released. The same thing happened with C1's subs for the second season of Saiunkoku Monogatari. In both cases we'd see occasional status updates in the series threads here. I don't know how to determine the status of Hyouge Mono other than posting here and hoping it will stimulate a response from Huzzah. If they've lost interest in completing the series, that's unfortunate but perhaps understandable. Still it would be nice to know if that's the case.
Old 2012-06-12, 14:43   Link #112
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
OK, I know I promised not to raise this question again, but really, it's been over two months since an episode of this series has been released. Huzzah doesn't seem to have a website where we might ask about the status of Hyouge Mono. (I don't use IRC and don't intend to start either.) Maybe if I ask nicely here, we'll hear some news from them.

I'm no stranger to shows with long delays. When Shinsen was subbing Oh! Edo Rocket, there were some delays, but then we'd suddenly see half-a-dozen episodes be released. The same thing happened with C1's subs for the second season of Saiunkoku Monogatari. In both cases we'd see occasional status updates in the series threads here. I don't know how to determine the status of Hyouge Mono other than posting here and hoping it will stimulate a response from Huzzah. If they've lost interest in completing the series, that's unfortunate but perhaps understandable. Still it would be nice to know if that's the case.
Was wondering about this very same thing recently as well. Have not heard anything maself, but if a majority of those working at Huzzah are university students I know several folks who are going through studying for and completing exams. Maybe that has helped to put the release schedule off some?
Old 2012-06-13, 03:21   Link #113
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Another option if you don't want to use IRC is to maybe send one of its members a PM?Last activity is from a few weeks ago but maybe that person will log in at some point.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:31   Link #114
cyth
Banned

You guys have no patience. Kudos to Huzzah to have brought the series as far as they did. With the lackluster response the series got, I'd personally have zero motivation to translate it. I'd personally give them a few more months to put our fears to rest, otherwise it's time to shop the show to other groups, heh. Perhaps pony up some money to see it get finished?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 02:11   Link #115
Dark_Pride

Apparently, the translator for Hyouge Mono is depressed, and it is indefinitely stalled.

http://huzzahfansubs.wordpress.com/2...14/depression/
http://huzzahfansubs.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/needs-2/
Dark_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 09:40   Link #116
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Pride View Post
Apparently, the translator for Hyouge Mono is depressed, and it is indefinitely stalled.

http://huzzahfansubs.wordpress.com/2...14/depression/
http://huzzahfansubs.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/needs-2/
He needs serious professional help, as one of the commentators posted. Talking about the fact that you're depressed on a blog isn't going to help. Someone who expresses that kind of despair may well need medication.

I hope he seeks out some professional therapy and gets better.
Old 2012-09-10, 07:57   Link #117
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

His blog is now no longer available. I posted a request in the Subbers forum for someone to pick this up. Getting all the raws could be an obstacle though. It would be a shame to see such a distinctive series remain incomplete.

A complete set of JP BD's would cost about $1250. That's out of my price range, but I might chip in if some group wanted to do this. We'd really only need boxes two and three since the first fourteen episodes are already complete.
Old 2012-09-10, 09:20   Link #118
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I'm sad to hear about the translator being depressed. I would hope that he seeks help and I pray that he manages to get through his depression and gets better

Quote:
A complete set of JP BD's would cost about $1250. That's out of my price range, but I might chip in if some group wanted to do this. We'd really only need boxes two and three since the first fourteen episodes are already complete.
While CDjapan is a good, I would recommend Amazon.jp instead due to the discount rate making the price a bit more tolerable (especially if we are getting just two of the three Boxes) Box 2 and 3 have both a 29% discount off of their price. The problem will probably be with the shipping costs, but they shouldn't be too bad I'd think.

I can chip in as well, but we need to figure out who is going to be making the purchase (and if there are enough people to support this, since I don't really think just a few people are going to be enough).

That, and we need a new translator ...
Old 2012-09-10, 09:36   Link #119
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

At today's yen/dollar rate of 0.012778, Amazon's pricing would make the two boxes cost somewhat over $600 plus shipping. I would be willing to kick in 1/6th of that.
Old 2012-09-10, 09:44   Link #120
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I can manage to contribute a sixth as well. I can do a little more and put in ~$150 if it is to include the shipping cost as well.

Tags
historical, tea