AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 211 60.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 14.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 6.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 5.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 5.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.86%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.58%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 0.86%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 4.03%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-18, 22:02   Link #661
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Wish they went a bit into what the other characters were doing. Tomoyo looked nice.
Old 2009-03-18, 22:06   Link #662
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Tomoya looked nice.
There are so many ways to make a joke out of this that it's not even funny. But it's kind of getting old so I'll leave it at that.

Tomoyo
Old 2009-03-18, 22:40   Link #663
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Quote:
Tomoya looked nice.
There are so many ways to make a joke out of this that it's not even funny. But it's kind of getting old so I'll leave it at that.

Tomoyo
If you don't mind me taking a jab at it, I can just say...

Why thank you.
Old 2009-03-19, 07:08   Link #664
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Wish they went a bit into what the other characters were doing. Tomoyo looked nice.
*cough*OVA*cough*
Old 2009-03-19, 07:19   Link #665
Proto

There is absolutely nothing confirmed, so it's better not to take anything for granted.
Old 2009-03-19, 11:30   Link #666
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
didn't it just air >.> preview what happened? gehhh have to go to skool i'll find out later >.<
Old 2009-03-19, 11:43   Link #667
Proto

It will air in 12-13 minutes approx, so don't hold your horses and just go to school
Old 2009-03-19, 12:18   Link #668
Meatrose
Antihero

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm actually way more interested in the potential announcement in the end than the episode itself.
Old 2009-03-19, 17:02   Link #669
Anime Daisuki

I wish they would have put more emphasis on Tomoya, Nagisa, and Ushio instead of a Fuuko appearance. 9/10.
Old 2009-03-19, 20:23   Link #670
destiny4everlove

Episode 22

-The Imaginary World is all white, which means is full of sadness. I think the reason why is covered in sadness/white is because the destruction of the IW coincided with the exact time Ushio and Tomoya died, so all the feelings of sadness, frustration, sorrow and regret that Tomoya had when Ushio and he died turned the IW like that.

-“If this was going to happen, I should not have brought her out. I only brought her suffering”. This is exactly what Tomoya thought when Nagisa died, what he thought at the bottom of the hill after Nagisa’s death and surely what he was thinking after taking Ushio out of the apartment to “go on a trip” in that snowy day. Poor Tomoya, he failed to realize that the worse thing he could have done is not meeting Nagisa but regretting to meet her.

-The moment when Nagisa passed by Tomoya and started walking away from him, I was mentally screaming “Nooooo…Tomoya say something! Do something! Stop her!”

-The imaginary girl can’t leave the imaginary world because she is that world. So this means that if she would have left that world, nobody would have been able to achieve their happiness and therefore Tomoya would not have been able to help all the people he did and in that way obtain the orbs of light, so it was definitely Tomoya the one that had to escape the IW and go to the real Clannad world.

-“Good bye Daddy”. That phrase made my heart shiver. It was so touching!! Props to the IW girl’s seiyuu for making me feel that way.

-The IW girl was all the lights together and all the lights together were the IW girl. All the feelings of happiness formed the girl in the imaginary world, without all of them Ushio would not have been able to exist or survive.

-Loved the scene of Tomoya calling out to Nagisa!! Tomoya screaming at the top of his lungs: “Nagisa!!!”, running towards her and hugging her, the conversation between Nagisa and Tomoya, Nagisa asking Tomoya to please don’t regret meeting her, Tomoya holding Nagisa’s face between his hands, Tomoya finally realizing that even with all the pain and uncertainty that meeting Nagisa could entail, it was much better than not meeting her at all, Tomoya kissing Nagisa’s hands and then hugging her tightly again. I loved all of those moments!! My Tomoya x Nagisa fangirl’s heart was filled with so much happiness during those scenes.

-And so the lights have started to join together to grant the biggest wish/miracle so far, the miracle of saving Nagisa’s life for a second time! The orbs of light have joined together to grant Ushio and Tomoya’s wish, which is for Nagisa to be alive and with them.

-I really liked the scenes when the lights started to join together. It was as if those scenes were from a completely different anime, as if they were from a video game.

- And the long journey has finally come to an end; Tomoya can finally get his oh so deserving happy ending with Nagisa and Ushio.

- yay!! Nagisa didn’t die!! Nagisa is alive!!! Yay!!

-Tomoya giving Ushio her first bath was so cute!! He was so nervous, but I don’t blame him, I would be even more nervous if I were the one doing that.

-Oh amazing Dango song until the very end you have to pull the strings of my heart. I so loved the scene when Nagisa and Tomoya started to sing the Dango song to Ushio. Watching this series has made me love the dango song so much that I’m seriously considering learning the song so that when I have a baby I can sing the dango song as a lullaby to my baby.

-Loved the scenes of Nagisa and Tomoya raising Ushio and the scenes with Akii and Sanae were so adorable too!

-I liked Nagisa’s speech very much. I do believe that what goes around comes around. I also believe that if you give love, kindness and positive feelings, they will be returned to you, maybe not by the same person to whom you show them, but they'll surely return to you. “We are all a big family”, Nagisa thought that way and that’s why she always tried to help all the people around her, because to her, they were not strangers but they were family. I so love Nagisa!!!

-Loved the song that was played during Nagisa’s speech it was beautiful!! “Palm of a small hand”. The lyrics of that song are so moving and so poetic. While watching the ep during those scenes and listening to that song I found myself crying. Clannad is the only anime that has managed to make cry more than once during the series.

-5 year-old Ushio holding the hands of both of her parents made me so happy!! And she is going on the famous trip with Nagisa and Tomoya! All the family together goes to visit grandma and grandpa!!! Yay!!

-The first scene of the Op of the first season!! Run kawaii Ushio run!!! Ushio running through that bed of yellow flowers was so amazing! Loved that scene!

-Kyo continues being the super tsundere kindergarten that she is!

-Ryo became a nurse as she wanted to and she is one pretty nurse I must say.

-Kotomi looking beautiful and cool driving with her suitcase and teddy through Japan. She looked so amazing!

- LOL! Sunohara still trying to get his driver's license.

-Mei-chan!!!!!!! Wow!! She is such a beautiful teenager now.

-Tomoyo looking pretty with the air blowing her hair, looking to the horizon.

-Yoshino keeps playing music!! Yay!!

-Akio and Sanae still keeping their marriage fresh by doing their usual “foreplay”.

-Yukine is the “godmother” of the city gangs now. The members of the gangs seem to be getting along very well now, all thanks to Yukine.

-The girls from the chorus club in HS studying music in College I suppose. Wow, best friends even now.

-Misae and Shima!!!

-The sensei!!!

-The Okasaki family reunited in grandma’s house, Clannad, family-centered until the very end.

-I sure love Clannad, it has become my # 1 favorite anime series.

-Fuko’s part of the ep was so Fuko-amazing!

-Fuko trying to decide how to refer to herself was priceless.

-Fuko was so cute and funny!! “Dissect me all you want”.

-And Ushio still feels drawn towards the magical place, the magical forest that saved Nagisa. Now that I think about it…mmm…I really think the forest is the place Nagisa was referring to in ep 1, the place in the city where wishes come true.

“The End” No!!!!!! I so could watch another season of original anime eps!!!

Thank you so much for my beautiful avy and my amazing sig, TheEroKing!!!

Last edited by destiny4everlove; 2009-03-19 at 20:34.
Old 2009-03-19, 23:45   Link #671
king12354

I realized the light orbs in the title page makes an interesting shape.

I still don't understand the connection between Fuko and Ushio though during the scene in the woods.
Old 2009-03-20, 04:00   Link #672
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

You know, I don't think many people have been drawing many comparisons to Air as they should with Clannad. Especially concerning Nagisa & the whole illusionary world. More than anyone else, I think Nagisa's arc shares similarities with Misuzu's arc and that the IW is that place where all of the explaining about the magical nature of the world should be explained, like the 1000th Summer in Air.

Spoiler for Air storyline:
Air did such a great job in explaining the origins of all the strange things that happened during the show, the curse, where Yukito's magic came from, the cut he received, the wish that was contained in the puppet
Spoiler for Air storyline:
Air spent an entire 3 episode arc to explain all of the magical happenings in that series, not to mention all of the flashbacks that Yukito had. Whereas Clannad sort of just skipped that part in the IW, as a viewer watching the show over a year, I felt the meaning of the IW really did get lost on me.

Watching the last episode over and over, the feeling arises, that I want an entire story arc for the IW to really explain the mysteries better, much like Air had with Kanna's arc. I don't think that a complete change of setting and characters (more like appearances) would have been bad for the anime, nor using more time to elaborate on the storyline boring or a waste of time. I thought that the 1000th Summer Arc, was very well done, and added a lot to the story of Air as a whole. So taking that as an example, I would have liked a similar IW arc.

I know that the IW arc was chopped up into pieces and served to us just about every other episode. But as a first time viewer, I felt that it was more like a buffer to prepare us for when they would have the IW arc. So that it wouldn't come from nowhere, so that interest could be built up, and everything could be tied up in one of the last finale arcs. Also I think the scene with the IW fading away, could have been an awesome scene if they built up some significance in that world, because any significance of that world fading away was lost on me(I love that piano rendition of Nagisa's theme during that scene though!). After the IW ended I wouldn't have minded another mini arc, with the revived Tomoya & Nagisa and eventually the return of Ushio. I would have liked to have seen some scenes with the family with all of the small details, silly quips, facial expressions, much like Fuuko's last scene.

And then, after all this, I think this episode could have aired. I think that this episode, as the final episode, is a good episode, maybe a fantastic episode. But as the episode after episode 21, I got to say it's not so good, and it leaves a sour taste with me about the whole series.

Now I know that some might say I wasn't paying attention and that the story is perfect as it is and that additional arcs would cheapen the impact of what already happened. But I don't think so, I think it would have retained the meaning of what already happened if they added a little bit more. Also some may say that since such scenes were never in the game, it would be impossible for KyoAni to create new scenes since they don't create scenes that aren't very close to the source material. Well I'm not trying to say they should have changed things from the source material nor am I blaming them. But I am saying I would have liked to have seen an anime like Clannad with all of the wonderful themes and character drama, with a couple of powerful ending arcs to conclude a memorable fun, yet sentimental series.
Old 2009-03-20, 05:47   Link #673
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
I still don't understand the connection between Fuko and Ushio though during the scene in the woods.
Remember how Fuuko said she remembered Ushio's scent? That's the connection. Fuuko is somewhat of a dream-girl herself, so apparently a small part of her consciousness was present in Tomoya's dream.
Old 2009-03-20, 13:01   Link #674
BakaRanger

After watching this I have to say this despite the incoming flames. You could have skipped right over the last several episodes since its all voided and rendered pointless. In fact, the only reason to watch those episodes is if you like crying for no real reason since no one in fact died. I feel like a fool for wasting my emotions on it.

The only thing that I learned over the past several episodes was how much I found Kyou more interesting then Nagisa and wished she'd have ended up with him. This is quite different from how I felt in the original series.
Old 2009-03-20, 13:09   Link #675
Proto

Instead of sending you to a flame inferno, I redirect you to this little thread. The graphic time line (in post 43) along with some of the explanations(this one is by far the cleanest one) might make the ending more meaningful for you. You may still don't like it, but at least things will become clearer
Old 2009-03-20, 13:39   Link #676
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaRanger View Post
After watching this I have to say this despite the incoming flames. You could have skipped right over the last several episodes since its all voided and rendered pointless. In fact, the only reason to watch those episodes is if you like crying for no real reason since no one in fact died. I feel like a fool for wasting my emotions on it.

The only thing that I learned over the past several episodes was how much I found Kyou more interesting then Nagisa and wished she'd have ended up with him. This is quite different from how I felt in the original series.
LOL! that is exactly what I did. I stopped watching the show at episode 6 and just watched the last episode. After Nagisa and Tomoya ended together, the show lost its appeal to me.
I already knew what was coming so i just wanted to see how they were going to end it as the show was set in the Nagisa path after the first season.
Old 2009-03-20, 20:12   Link #677
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
@ Ceral - Although I think Clannad had much more enjoyable characters than Air (on the whole), I also felt that Air was handled better.

From what I've read of all the explanations, the single thing that probably would've improved how the whole thing was executed, would've been to further emphasize multiple paths. If they could've hammered the concept of multiple paths that the gamers had to go through, then it would've made the flow of the whole ending easier to follow. They could do it either by emphasizing the subtle hints stronger, or by deliberately showing them. Although I'd prefer the first as the second would be harder to do: trying to integrate the paths instead of making them seem like jagged and separate arcs.
Old 2009-03-20, 20:44   Link #678
Hamchan
The World Ends With Me!

Well I just watched it and it was.......weird. The episode was very well done and it was actually really emotional but as said before it was weird.

I think i'll go read some interpretations and actually play the VN to better understand this ending. I was really confused about the whole reset thing. For me though it did feel a bit of a deus ex machina. I know clannad is supposed to be "magical fantasy" but what made the series so good to me were the struggles that the characters went through and how easily it was for me to relate to them, the realistic side I guess.

"Even though we have setbacks in our life we must still carry on" was a message this series was sending to me. A big giant reset to the most tragic moment in the series cheapens this for me.

For now though i'll prefer to view episode 21 and 22 as two alternate endings. 22 being a happy ending for those that want that and 21 being an ending for angsty realistic people like me.

Overall i'll probably give this series a 9/10. The whole story was fantastic and the magical stuff never bothered me until the ending. I am still kinda confused about it so ill go play the game now. May raise the score to a 10

Last edited by Hamchan; 2009-03-20 at 23:25.
Old 2009-03-21, 16:05   Link #679
milkmandan
しゅ ともひろ
*Graphic Designer

Gna use some spoiler tags, as some people possibly might be browsing and I don't wanna ruin something so great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny4everlove View Post
-Kotomi looking beautiful and cool driving with her suitcase and teddy through Japan. She looked so amazing!

- LOL! Sunohara still trying to get his driver's license.

-The Okasaki family reunited in grandma’s house, Clannad, family-centered until the very end.

-And Ushio still feels drawn towards the magical place, the magical forest that saved Nagisa. Now that I think about it…mmm…I really think the forest is the place Nagisa was referring to in ep 1, the place in the city where wishes come true.
Spoiler:

---------------
overall this series was phenomenal..
of the remakes/adaptations so far from Kyoto Animation of VA/Key games, i'd have to say CLANNAD was the most well done.
But it could be due to the fact that it was longer. With more episodes, they give more time to develop plot, and give you a chance to bond better with characters.

Not to say that AIR and Kanon weren't amazing in their own, but when compared to CLANNAD, might be a sliver behind in the awesome section. (i am referring to the anime here, not the VN's, we all know Planetarian is the best, lulz )

Spoiler:

Last edited by milkmandan; 2009-03-21 at 16:20.
Old 2009-03-21, 16:08   Link #680
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Having a driving license is ALWAYS a plus for your job. It is very likely that Youhei is trying to get the license for his active life.