AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-27, 15:47   Link #221
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Wonderful little show that knew exactly where it was going and took us all there in style. Lots of fun moments, and a feeling of intelligence behind it all, for me. And the late scene through the window of Kana bowing was just heart-melting.

Lots of credit to the staff: director Takayanagi Shigehito, who did several Galaxy Angel series (A, S and X); lead writer Nakase Rika , who did Fushigiboshi no Futago Hime, Rocket Girls (another good but overlooked show, though not as good as this one), and Junjou Romantica; and mangaka Iwami Shouko, who also did Suzunari and flower flower (a good little yuri manga that is just a few chapters in).

Maybe a second series is possible, but the TV ratings remain low. Last week and the week before were only 1.6% and 1.3% of the audience. DVD sales will be more decisive, and the first DVD goes on sale 7 October. We'll see how it does. We still need some questions answered, lol.

No offense to K-On fans, but when I see this show getting so little attention and that show getting so much, I just shake my head. This is a better moe show than that one, for me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-09-27 at 16:33.
Old 2009-09-27, 19:44   Link #222
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-09-27, 20:34   Link #223
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
The first episode of this series left me uncertain mainly due to Haruka. Mainly because she came off as more annoying than anything else. However the other aspects of the show told me to keep watching it. Over time I got used to Haruka and sometimes found she could actually be decent.

Aside from the Haruka issue, the show essentially pretty good. Although I kind of wish we had gotten a lot more Mikan than we ended up getting. Yes, I'd be one of those people that think Mikan and Kana go well together.

I'd say that Kanamemo is one of the better Summer series for me. To put in proper perspective. Two other series that I was also very fond of would be the following. GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class and Taishou Yakyuu Musume.

Kanamemo, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class, Azumanga Daioh, Sketchbook ~full colors~, Sunshine Sketch, Sunshine Sketch X 365, and K-ON!. All being anime based on 4-Koma that I enjoyed quite a bit.

It also helps that Kanamemo is by the same mangaka as Suzunari a manga that I enjoyed over all. A manga that I'd like to see as a one cour series or better yet two cour with some new material to flesh things out a bit.
Old 2009-09-27, 22:24   Link #224
Psykewne

Kanamemo left me unsure at it's first episode but I stuck with it due to it containing some of my favourite voice actresses (horie yui, kagamiya rie to name but two).

Yume and Yuuki are nothing short of brilliant, my second favourite yuri coupling after Candy Boy. Mika and Kana were lovely in this final episode, it's a shame we didn't see more of Mika the whole series really.

Hinata and Saki offered some great moments too, I struggled with Haruka but since she promoted "barrier!barrier!barrier!" to happen I can forgive her.

Funnily the lead character drifted between sublime and passable at times, her inner voice musings were sometimes a little odd or pointless imo, but she made up for it with great physical comedy and some lovely "trying her best" moments.

Gotta say this is on par with K-on! and Hidamari Sketch for me.
Old 2009-09-28, 10:21   Link #225
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykewne View Post
Yume and Yuuki are nothing short of brilliant, my second favourite yuri coupling after Candy Boy.
I never did watch Candy Boy and such I'm not familiar with that couple. I can say that I definitely like Yuuki and Yume. Mainly because it's nice to see a yuri couple that's not only an actual couple, but also avoids melodrama.

Too often in my experience you either get drama inserted in as if the two girls are being punished for liking each other. Or they pull the "Look, we were just kidding about the yuri. See? They have boyfriends!" strategy.

Quote:
Mika and Kana were lovely in this final episode, it's a shame we didn't see more of Mika the whole series really.
It's their destiny to make it up to us by providing us with another season. A season that needs to have more focus on Mikan and Kana's school life as well. Also, I think Hinata could some more development.

Quote:
Gotta say this is on par with K-on! and Hidamari Sketch for me.
I'd have to think about it a bit more, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with this. Now if only the three of them would get licensed.
Old 2009-09-28, 15:40   Link #226
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
I never did watch Candy Boy and such I'm not familiar with that couple. I can say that I definitely like Yuuki and Yume. Mainly because it's nice to see a yuri couple that's not only an actual couple, but also avoids melodrama.... Too often in my experience you either get drama inserted in as if the two girls are being punished for liking each other. Or they pull the "Look, we were just kidding about the yuri. See? They have boyfriends!" strategy.... I'd have to think about it a bit more, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with this [that this is equal to K-On and Hidamari]. Now if only the three of them would get licensed.
Then you might want to watch Candy Boy, too. It has none of the faults you mention. It's not the same style as this show, but it has a solid yuri couple without angst.

Personally, I liked this better than I did either K-On or Hidamari.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-09-28, 15:42   Link #227
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Personally, I liked this better than I did either K-On or Hidamari.
I prefer Hidamari Sketch out of the three, though it fits my tastes a lot more.

But yeah i'd take Kanamemo over Ko-On anyday. If this show was animated by Kyoani, then we know it would be just as popular.
Old 2009-09-28, 16:55   Link #228
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Then you might want to watch Candy Boy, too. It has none of the faults you mention. It's not the same style as this show, but it has a solid yuri couple without angst.
I'll think about it. I need to double check to see how long the series is and whether or not it's completely subbed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I prefer Hidamari Sketch out of the three, though it fits my tastes a lot more.
Sunshine Sketch is one of my extreme favorites, so I prefer it to a lot of series. Which includes K-ON! and Kanamemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
But yeah i'd take Kanamemo over Ko-On anyday. If this show was animated by Kyoani, then we know it would be just as popular.
Personally speaking, I think I like K-ON! better than Kanamemo. However I still think Kanamemo is a pretty good show. As for the Kyoani thing.

It's very well possible that the reaction to the show might have been different if Kyoani was involved. Then again it's also likely the show itself would have been different as well.

Also, I should say this much. On one hand, I have enjoyed multiple Kyoani series including K-ON!, and am glad to see them get series on occasion. On the other hand, I also like see other companies get series as well. Simply because a variety of perspectives is a good thing.
Old 2009-09-28, 18:40   Link #229
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Candy Boy is a ten-minute OVA plus six half-length episodes plus one full-length episode and it is all subbed here. The initial OVA gives a good idea of what the whole series is like.

It's not that I didn't enjoy K-On. I just didn't get why it was so overwhelmingly popular. I guess I'm getting some of the feeling others had toward The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, which I loved.

Clearly I have to make time to see some more of Hidamari, and of GA Geijutsuka. I enjoyed a few eps each of Hidamari and Sketchbook, but then lost interest. I thought at the time that they were enjoyable, but had given me all they were going to in those few episodes. Maybe I just like the absurd humor of shows like Kanamemo and Ichigo Mashimaro. Sense of humor is so individual.
Old 2009-09-28, 23:07   Link #230
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmm... maybe it's because although Sketchbook and Hidamari are similar to Kanamemo and Ichigo Mashimaro, they have one important difference that might not click well with you. In the later, much of the world and setting exploration is done through the silly antics of the main characters. All the bonding and character development is bound to this kind of innocent humor. In Hidamari and Sketchbook, although there is also development through small bits of comedy, it takes a much more slice of life-ish approach to the setting exploration dilemma, using mundane antics, actions and situations to explore the characters and their world, which makes the whole thing more human to some, but maybe more plain to others.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:43   Link #231
AnimeY

A great serie ! I feel really sad to see it end.

I've enjoyed a lot the kind of humor used in the anime and for once we have a yuri couple without drama and not aimed at fan service. In the beginning, I admit being a little perplex with the Haruna character, but they fortunately didn't overdo it.

The "weird" aspect of each episode was handled with a lot of intelligence and was leading to fun moments. I don't remember how many times I bursted out laughing watching the episodes, but I did it a lot =)

It's a pity that this serie did not meet more success in the audience. A second season would be so glad.
Old 2009-09-29, 19:19   Link #232
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Wonderful little show that knew exactly where it was going and took us all there in style. Lots of fun moments, and a feeling of intelligence behind it all, for me. And the late scene through the window of Kana bowing was just heart-melting.

No offense to K-On fans, but when I see this show getting so little attention and that show getting so much, I just shake my head. This is a better moe show than that one, for me.
Couldn't have said it better myself and it just simply puzzles me why people don't click to this series like it did with me. Tastes differ I guess but damn, this was one of those series I just wished more people would praise for being genuine and true to itself throughout the entire ride without any of the usual "forced" attachment you seem to get nowadays. K-On is a good mention, stupid "forced moe" series that makes people think that it is better than it actually is.

Compare Kanamemo and K-on and it is clear as day to me which one is more natural and honest

And so ends one heck of a series which I won't see another topping in this theme for quite sometime. Even GA pretty much pales in comparison to this when it is said and done and I simply can't fault anything about Kanamemo.

Energetic, fun, heartwarming, hilarious at times, touching, adorable...and the list just continues for me. Simply just the best

Sad to see it leave so I am hoping for a second season. I will never forget that one episode where everyone bursts into song ^^'

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-09-30, 01:21   Link #233
Ota-kun
v イイエイイエイイエ!!!v

Old 2009-09-30, 07:29   Link #234
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Agree the "Barrier" joke stood out in the series. It's not the only one as last ep alone made me lol lots of time (when Yuki ran to buy the 2 notebooks and Mika in her trample mode inside the class for e.g. )

Favourite character? The awesome loli tsundere Saki got my vote. Her "chief" status and the 2-faces moments are just too hilarious to bear

Overall, it was a fun series, give it 8/10 for my own ranking and 9/10 for AS ranking

PS: anyone has all the art in the end of each episode? Pls... ^^
Old 2009-09-30, 09:13   Link #235
Marogareh

That last episode was the funniest and most heart warming thing I've seen in a very long time, simply brilliant. The "race" was especially hilarious I started clapping at the end . Too bad that the show as a whole was somewhat uneven for me (the first four episodes were incredible, after that there were mediocre and great ones, ep 13 was incredible again). It was great that this ended on such uplifting note.

Last edited by Marogareh; 2009-09-30 at 15:26.
Old 2009-09-30, 10:37   Link #236
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Another Houbunsha manga for me to check out. Waiting for GA and this to be translated into Mandarin.
Old 2009-09-30, 12:45   Link #237
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Agree the "Barrier" joke stood out in the series.
The fact that they used it twice is what made it stand out all the more. I laughed so much the first time it was used, and the second was like icing on the cake.
Old 2009-09-30, 23:05   Link #238
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Kanamemo needs love...

"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-10-01, 01:17   Link #239
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Awesomely cute. Almost overtly so. Just loved Mika playing motorcycles. Cuteness defined.

Anyway, I sort of am disappointed that we won't see Kana teach any newer recruits. I can just imagine that being very hilarious.
Old 2009-10-01, 10:16   Link #240
TCman

The final episode is really funny. Mika getting jealous is hilarious. "Onore, Johnny". Ha, Haa!!! And that part of the diary and how Kana's friends try to get that diary via a trick, since Kana doesn't want to receive such an expensive gift without doing anything; she's such a humble girl.

I like all episodes, especially the one with Kana's "monster/horror" smile (ep. 3) and the Musical one (ep. 4). Just hope there will be a second season of this anime series, since there are still queston left open, e.g. the real identity of Mika and who's Kana's Grandma exactly. The chances are not high if it's not really that popular in Japan, I think. The other one series that I want to have a second season is Potemayo, but there's still none.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, manga time kirara, seinen, slice of life, yuri