AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-11-13, 14:58   Link #6861
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
If that was possible, every person Natsu's hit with an attack would be a Dragonslayer. The things you're saying have never been shown in the manga and really make no sense. Not only do you have to learn a magic but Dragonsalyer magic can only be taught by a Dragon.
We aren't talking about how it felt to be hit by it, we're talking about how it felt to use it.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 22:20   Link #6862
MechR

It's possible all this is leading to an expansion on the "One Magic" concept that Hades introduced. (Also see the Sabertooth DS that ate metal like Gazille.)
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 23:15   Link #6863
immblueversion

Anyone else notice Gajeel didn't really show up in this last chapter at all? Maybe he went for a long-overdue "meeting" with Raven Tail's master Ivan, who I'm wondering whether or not he's caught on to the whole "double agent" bit by now.

That's not to say anything about all the other plot points that have arisen but not been touched upon that much at all, like what happened to Jellal, Ultear, Meldy, Zeref, and all the dark guilds who have all but fallen off the face of the earth, like Tartaros and the remnants of Grimoire Heart (Kain and Rusty are supposedly still out there). I wonder if any such loose plot threads will be addressed this upcoming arc. I also wonder if we get to see more of Lamia Scale and Blue Pegasus, considering they've risen up the ranks like crazy.

If there's anything I want to see, it's Jellal and Ultear meeting again. How would they react, especially Jellal, if he remembers her at all? Also, how would Erza react to meeting Ultear? After all, she should know by now that Ultear was the one behind Jellal's brainwashing (Azuma told her as much after getting beaten by her). Would she be as forgiving to her as Jellal? Because she seemed pretty damn upset back when she thought Zeref himself was responsible. Come to think of it, how would everyone whose lives were ruined as consequences of Zeref's actions react to seeing the self-hating emo boy? We shouldn't forget how it was one of Zeref's demons, Deliora, who destroyed Gray's home and led to Ur's sacrifice (even though he did end up making plenty of irreplaceable friends as a roundabout result).

Sorry, that's me letting my imagination run wild.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 13:43   Link #6864
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Anyone else notice Gajeel didn't really show up in this last chapter at all? Maybe he went for a long-overdue "meeting" with Raven Tail's master Ivan, who I'm wondering whether or not he's caught on to the whole "double agent" bit by now.
I think I've seen the same speculation elsewhere on the internet. It would not surprise me if that was the case. The last time Mashima "forgot" main/secondary characters at a big group gathering, was Gildarts's return. Gajeel turned out to have been busy searching for a cat, Bixlow was added in the anime, and Cana turned out to have Gildarts related issues.

On a different note, on the whole subject of of Max being almost as strong as Natsu, the guild's rank and so forth, there are a few things people probably ought to keep in mind.

First while Natsu was famous, the primary source of his fame was not his power, but was rather the collateral damage he typically inflicted.

Second, there were other mages about as powerful as base Natsu out there. Leon, Eve, and Ren being the primary examples, though while powerful offensively, they were short on personal durability which seems likely to hold true for Max.

Third, guild ranking is not equal to actual guild power. We saw back with Phantom Lord that they were still largely considered the number 1 guild in the kingdom. That's despite Fairy Tail having clearly surpassed them in raw power. So numbers and reputation play a big role in ranking as well.

Fourth, Fairy Tail's the lowest ranked not because they're the weakest even with everyone back, but for other reasons. Their numbers have dropped severely, it looks like they had barely 15 members, if that, before everyone returned. Likewise their reputation is low because it took 7 years for the likes of Max to get close to matching Natsu. In the meantime their reputation tanked, and it hasn't recovered because rather than be flashy with their power, they've been laying low and letting a crappy guild like Twilight Ogre slap them around. The ranking also probably doesn't take into account all the strong members returning and effectively doubling the size of the guild.

Fifth, the challenge does not seem to be getting out of last place, but rather with achieving first place given that Sabertooth, Lamia Scale, and Blue Pegasus are all standing in the way as powerful competition. So it's not a matter of "all the other guilds are so much more powerful than Fairy Tail", but rather "there are some big players in the way that'll be difficult to beat out for the #1 spot."
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 13:56   Link #6865
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
First while Natsu was famous, the primary source of his fame was not his power, but was rather the collateral damage he typically inflicted.
His main fame was being a strong dragon slayer and the destruction that he and Erza seem to cause. Also i am sure that he got some attention in the magic world because he was in the group who beat oracion seis.

Quote:
Second, there were other mages about as powerful as base Natsu out there. Leon, Eve, and Ren being the primary examples, though while powerful offensively, they were short on personal durability which seems likely to hold true for Max.
Leon should be on par with Gray and feat wise Gray does not seem as strong as Natsu. Ren and Eve don't seem to powerfull, because they were beaten easily of screen by Midnight who was not fighting seriously at that moment. According to Hoteye, each one of them are somewhat equal in power. Eventhough it was proven false, i am pretty sure each of the members minus brain and zero are not that much more powerfull than eachother.

Quote:

Third, guild ranking is not equal to actual guild power. We saw back with Phantom Lord that they were still largely considered the number 1 guild in the kingdom. That's despite Fairy Tail having clearly surpassed them in raw power. So numbers and reputation play a big role in ranking as well.
They haven't fought against eachother before that arc and Phantom lord was the strongest guild in Fiore before Fairy Tail was any good. After FT build up their reputation, FT seemed to be on par with PL to the people in magnolia. Both were considered to be strongest, because they had really strong members but guilds are forbidden to fight eachother. So they were both considered to be the strongest.

Quote:
Fourth, Fairy Tail's the lowest ranked not because they're the weakest even with everyone back, but for other reasons. Their numbers have dropped severely, it looks like they had barely 15 members, if that, before everyone returned. Likewise their reputation is low because it took 7 years for the likes of Max to get close to matching Natsu. In the meantime their reputation tanked, and it hasn't recovered because rather than be flashy with their power, they've been laying low and letting a crappy guild like Twilight Ogre slap them around. The ranking also probably doesn't take into account all the strong members returning and effectively doubling the size of the guild.

Fifth, the challenge does not seem to be getting out of last place, but rather with achieving first place given that Sabertooth, Lamia Scale, and Blue Pegasus are all standing in the way as powerful competition. So it's not a matter of "all the other guilds are so much more powerful than Fairy Tail", but rather "there are some big players in the way that'll be difficult to beat out for the #1 spot."
I don't disagree with those.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 01:11   Link #6866
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Spoiler for 260:
MAX_COLA_POWER! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 03:05   Link #6867
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for 260:
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 03:21   Link #6868
Bombo
TSF Fans

Spoiler for 260:
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 04:02   Link #6869
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Spoiler for 260:
Old 2011-11-19, 04:30   Link #6870
ShiroiRyu

Spoiler for 260:
Old 2011-11-19, 04:43   Link #6871
haegar
mangaviking

Spoiler for 260:
Old 2011-11-19, 08:22   Link #6872
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Spoiler for 260:
You mean you never saw the Edolas arc in the anime? They added a whole filler subplot where Gajeel meets his Edolas counterpart, and he helps Gajeel do all the stuff the manga neglected to show Gajeel doing, such as (or really just limited to) turning this huge chunk of FT-members-turned-lacrima back to normal (only for the chunk to turn out to be just Gray and Erza).

Spoiler for Edo Gajeel:

The anime even reveals Makarov's Edolas counterpart. To say the least, he's..."backwards." In more ways than one.

Spoiler for Edo Makarov (you've been warned):

Last edited by immblueversion; 2011-11-19 at 08:42.
Old 2011-11-19, 08:31   Link #6873
haegar
mangaviking

hehe, I liked what they did with him in Edolas - even though otherwise anime changes of that arc did not fare so well and I don't much like it in manga either to begin with - dat gajeel though: win&lulz
Old 2011-11-19, 08:51   Link #6874
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar View Post
hehe, I liked what they did with him in Edolas - even though otherwise anime changes of that arc did not fare so well and I don't much like it in manga either to begin with - dat gajeel though: win&lulz
Spoiler for Anime stuff:

But I seriously digress. This is a manga thread, not an anime thread.

Old 2011-11-19, 09:34   Link #6875
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Shooo, for 30 mil, hell yeah I'd join up too! Let's go Makarov! Let's show those younguns what 'motivation' is really about!! XD

But it's good that Wendy's getting two new spells. Just mimicking Natsu won't get her too far. XD
Old 2011-11-19, 09:50   Link #6876
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
So, we're gonna get a training/powerup arc, and then a tournament arc. Fairly standard shonen fare, although I kinda like to avoid those kinds of arcs. Still, if it's just one major training arc, then I suppoe I can let it pass. And as long as the training means something...

Definitely looking forward to Wendy becoming more of a fighter. Her boost magic is nice, but I wanna see her get in there and kick butt.

Loved Natsu's Lucy joke, heh.

I have to wonder, though... all the world has seemingly gotten much stronger in the last seven years. Why? Sure, some people would have gotten stronger, but the overall skill and power level of a world tends to remain the same. I have a feeling this increase of magic isn't quite natural (or maybe is natural because of where magic comes from?).

Depending on the training, I'd also like to see Lucy gain more competence with her spirits. And depending on the training arc, she might find another key (either in the training arc or in the tournament arc). In fact, I have a feeling she'll meet another celestial mage in the tournament with a key or two. She's got two more keys to find, right? Unless there is a 13th key.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 09:51   Link #6877
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Edo-subplots are definitely some of the most dangerous elements to temper with in the FT universe...ah well, as long as it works out~
So, magic "festival" huh? Definitely much better than a magic tournament, I liked the starting point of the S-class exam but it was short, wonder what Mashima can do with an entire arc for games
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 09:57   Link #6878
immblueversion

Hey, if it means giving the anime more filler and padding to widen the gap, I'm all for it. Imagine if they just skip right to the final days of the tournament, if not the tournament itself, in the next few chapters. Then again, that'd probably give the anime a bit less ground to build off of.

Old 2011-11-19, 10:06   Link #6879
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
So, we're gonna get a training/powerup arc, and then a tournament arc. Fairly standard shonen fare, although I kinda like to avoid those kinds of arcs. Still, if it's just one major training arc, then I suppoe I can let it pass. And as long as the training means something...
Anything that helps as a deterant against "friendship power" is okey with me. He can do one every arc for all I care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Edo-subplots are definitely some of the most dangerous elements to temper with in the FT universe...ah well, as long as it works out~
So, magic "festival" huh? Definitely much better than a magic tournament, I liked the starting point of the S-class exam but it was short, wonder what Mashima can do with an entire arc for games
It's going to be good if he doesn't forget what the arc is about............ mhm, yeah we're doomed.
Old 2011-11-19, 10:17   Link #6880
haegar
mangaviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

I have to wonder, though... all the world has seemingly gotten much stronger in the last seven years. Why? Sure, some people would have gotten stronger, but the overall skill and power level of a world tends to remain the same. I have a feeling this increase of magic isn't quite natural (or maybe is natural because of where magic comes from?).
I concur. My personal little nonsense theory is that over the past seven years, without anybody noticing, the world has slowly begun moving towards the "magic world of Zeref" as described by the GH members. Everybody seems to wait for Zeref to do something. What if he "does" simply by "being" in his awakend, non-caring, evil state? If he has mastered that ominious magic of one maybe he's just sitting somehwere, twiddling his thumbs changing the very fabrig of Fiore's magic by his sheer existence. Like as Hades&Co described it the pure untainted magic is stronger (we have that now) and darker (that might still come) - imagine it like what happens to Ichigo's hollowfication when in hell (chapter) - it's hax strong, but it begins to beget a life of its own and is harder to control.

Only problem with this sweet little ramblings is that it attributes way more plot layout/planing skills to Mashima than I deem him capable of. :facepalm:
Sadly, I fear things are much more random than that, and there is no reason whatsoever for this discrepancy in strength, other than Mashima belatedly realizing that with his unprecedented endless chain of nakama powerups last arc, he has messed up his own powerleveling so seriously that somemthing just had to be done about it. Hence, here we are

Quote:
Depending on the training, I'd also like to see Lucy gain more competence with her spirits. And depending on the training arc, she might find another key (either in the training arc or in the tournament arc). In fact, I have a feeling she'll meet another celestial mage in the tournament with a key or two. She's got two more keys to find, right? Unless there is a 13th key.
again, I agree, though for my part I want her to finally master and begin to use celestial magic SPELLS - hello? Uranometria anybody? that was awesome!! where did that go? she grew since then. Hibiki pretty much attested her the skill to use it. Sure it was one time only, but if she couldlearn that one again from somewhere, or remember it after all maybe? She should have the power for it... She has a bunch of Keys already and repeatedly Mashima has played the "my spirits acting independently is my hax nakama powerup" card ... I tire of that shit. Epic spells I say, it's time she finds Leila's legacy or something and use it. Heartphilia secret celestial spell book 4tw !!! IKKEEEE FT !!!

(as for her collecting all keys, there is still time for that along the way, with so few gold ones being left, I'd prefer that take some more time, cause presumably having all WILL come with a SERIOUS hax power, like maybe the holder of all gold keys kinda becomes the human avatar of the spirit realm, aka THE celestial mage of the age or whatnot ...also, wouldn't be surprised if she can legitimately call upon old mustach dude once she holds all the gold ones - but such power is for final battles ^^ ...)

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen