AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-07, 01:24   Link #1021
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Aside from obvious disparity in training and determination, one of many differences between both armies is how they were led. A typical Chinese officer would go: Charge, and I will be right behind you! Whereas a Japanese officer would go: Charge, and I will be right in front of you!
It was probably kind of like the First World War, except that the country is too big for that kind of stationary trench warfare, and since the Chinese side had some key disadvantages. Neither side fought in WW1 so they didn't learn the same lessons as Western armies.

Quote:
Otherwise, an average Japanese infantryman was not much better equipped than their Chinese counterpart. In fact, you can even claim the Japanese had inferior infantry equipment compared to their Chinese counterpart.
In one episode, the Shanghai Incident in 1932, the Japanese invaded Shanghai by sea and got their asses handed to them. Ironically, their suicidal actions made them into war heroes and strengthened the "never surrender, kill yourself sooner than be taken prisoner" attitude.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 02:16   Link #1022
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Miho's called "senpai" by the first years, which would make her a second year and her older sister a third year, I guess. (Unless they're twins?)

Which means she was vice-captain in her fist year. The power of her family name?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 02:22   Link #1023
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

anyway in one of the episodes will probably have a flashback to what happened before it falls into the sea
^^"
Old 2012-11-07, 02:43   Link #1024
Sumeragi
Banned

Spoilers
Spoiler for Speculations
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 06:54   Link #1025
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I don't know about versions, but Maho is voiced by none other than Rie Tanaka.
Uh oh... So now she commands a group of tanks after being the guest of Eternal.... Now we are in a big trouble... *Runs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
... so she's voiced by Evil!Lacus

That said, given how she's voiced and cosplayed as a fair number of characters (especially DAT MITSURU-SEMPAI), here's to hoping she cosplays as Maho.

Or should that be Mahou? (Demon Cannon).

*flees from the Demon Cannon Girl Nanoha jokes*
Add a Shoujo behind the "Mahou" and it will feel weird.

Quote:
And of course Black Forest Peak is symbolized by an Iron Cross...

- Tak
Wondering what country they represent... I can't recall any country with an Iron Cross

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-11-07 at 07:05.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 06:55   Link #1026
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post

Wondering what country they represent... I can't recall any country with an Iron Cross
They represent Germany. Hence, the style of their uniforms and having German tanks (the Tiger and Pzkpfw III).

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 07:06   Link #1027
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
They represent Germany. Hence, the style of their uniforms and having German tanks (the Tiger and Pzkpfw III).
Those tanks are heavy tanks right? Don't tell me they are tank destroyers...

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-11-07 at 09:35. Reason: Removed for issues...
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 07:13   Link #1028
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
German ehh, I wonder if they follow Hitler...

The Tiger is a Heavy Tank, one of the most powerful tanks of WW2 with good armor, mobility, and a powerful gun capable of knocking out the majority of tanks that the Allies fielded at the time. It's the definitive final boss of the show

The Panzerkampfwagen aka Pzkpfw III aka Panzer III was the Wermacht's main medium tank during the early years of WWII alongside its older supplement/successor the Panzer IV. These shouldn't be much of a problem for the Oarai team.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 07:16   Link #1029
steven3242

just me or ever since gurl and panzer start airing (especially after episode 3), the world of tank game is getting crowded

for the first time iam actually getting queue in order to play

those guy in the wot team should be tankful for the anime
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 07:16   Link #1030
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Watched episode 5.
Not putting in spoiler anymore since a lot of people in the thread seem to have watched it already.

Episode starts with eating delicious looking tank shaped cakes.
Unfortunately, the mood turns bad right away when Maho and her teammate arrives. I'm surprised Miho is actually second in command before she left her sister's team - this is probably the reason why student council wants to recruit Miho to help their school.
Well, without Miho, they would have no chance. Since the Panzercraft team seems to be very important, they need her. Imagine the team with Momo as commander and quail.

Quote:
You know, after watching episode 5, I am beginning to believe the challenges for Oorai in their match against Pravda would be a very daunting one.

Apparently, numbers are non-issue in certain circumstances. If Saunders is to showcase American industrial might, I wonder if Pravda will be showcasing Soviet dedication to operation success.

- Tak
It depends on if they're going to go with the perceived Soviet characteristics or the actual ones. In either case, ~10 tanks isn't enough force to display operational-level combat, and tank tactics was not the Soviet forces' strong point.

Pravda should be a rough match since they're the defending champions, and a T-34 and IS-2 combo is a lot scarier than a bunch of Shermans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The portrayal of Americans is in fact pretty nice, as 4Tran says. It's like a 1950s Japanese version of Americans: friendly and straightforward, enthusiastic, capable, and with overwhelming industrial production.
I've been out of the loop for a while. Have there been any other neat nationalities portrayed recently? In most shows, nationality seems to be just a footnote of little consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
That being said, imagine the Call of Duty games where you gun down scores of Nazis. Assuming you get to play as a Japanese infantryman, and mostly have missions where you fight hordes of NRA militiamen, it should'nt be too much different, eh?
As I pointed out earlier, Panzer General already exists. For anyone unfamiliar with the game, it's a operational-level game where the main campaign covers a bunch of German units on campaigns in Poland, France, Sealion, Moscow and even attacking Washington D.C. There is no Allied campaign, so you can only play the bad guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
China DID have them, if Wikipedia is to be believed, just not in large numbers.
This shows why there's always more to learn about this conflict . To be fair though, I wasn't really thinking of anything acquired post-1937.

Quote:
Otherwise, an average Japanese infantryman was not much better equipped than their Chinese counterpart. In fact, you can even claim the Japanese had inferior infantry equipment compared to their Chinese counterpart. A typical Japanese infantry at the time was equipped with the Type 38 6.5mm rifle and machine guns that were bulky & difficult to setup. A typical Chinese infantry was armed with Mauser 8mm rifles. The German divisions were also equipped with sub-machine guns, Czech-made machine-guns and some even had MG34s.
The question of how well-armed an infantry unit is isn't answered by an infantryman's personal gear. It's answered by how much artillery the unit has access to and how well-supplied with ammunition they are. Machine guns are of lesser, but still significant importance. But that's more in terms of how many a unit has, and not really about how good they are.

Quote:
Ooarai is the only school that's not representing a particular country. Not even Japan strangely enough.

Quote:
The only heavy tanks that Germany produced are the Tiger I and Tiger II. The Pz. III is the original chassis for the StuG III.

"Tank destroyer" may be a bit of a misleading term. It doesn't really mean a very powerful tank; rather it designates an AFV (usually a non-tank) whose primary role is to kill other tanks. American tank destroyers are basically tanks with open tops, but everyone else tends to use non-turreted AFVs like the StuG III.

Quote:
The Panzerkampfwagen aka Pzkpfw III aka Panzer III was the Wermacht's main medium tank during the early years of WWII alongside its older supplement/successor the Panzer IV. These shouldn't be much of a problem for the Oarai team.
A Pz. III with a 50mm gun will still be more dangerous than anything other than the StuG III!
Old 2012-11-07, 07:26   Link #1031
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven3242 View Post
just me or ever since gurl and panzer start airing (especially after episode 3), the world of tank game is getting crowded

for the first time iam actually getting queue in order to play

those guy in the wot team should be tankful for the anime
Even I also got interested in it. Time for me to join in the fun.

And yeah, even WoT also got events which needs to crossover tanks with anime characters.

Sadly, we have to wait 2 more weeks to start looking at the match... Why screw up
Old 2012-11-07, 08:48   Link #1032
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for the spying, I thought that was fairly low myself, but if this is really supposed to mimic war, then spying is probably somewhat okay -- like hacking the other side's communications.
Don't forget it was Yukari who spied on the Saunders first. They're just returning the favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for Speculations
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I agree. I think it was simply that Miho cost the Nishizumi a ten-year winning streak the previous year and she nearly drowned in the process. So she decided to quit sensha-do instead of facinig her own mistake as was expected of her, which is why the new vice-captain of the Nishizumi team sees her with such contempt.

I think the TV interview in ep 2 with Maho saying she "never runs away, no matter what" was also meant for Miho to see.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 08:55   Link #1033
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
I think the TV interview in ep 2 with Maho saying she "never runs away, no matter what" was also meant for Miho to see.
The amusing thing is that this episode showed that if Ooarai hadn't run away, it'd now be the StuG III and the 38(t) facing off against 10 Shermans! Come to think of it, there was a lot of running away in the previous fight as well.
Old 2012-11-07, 09:09   Link #1034
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Apparently, numbers are non-issue in certain circumstances. If Saunders is to showcase American industrial might, I wonder if Pravda will be showcasing Soviet dedication to operation success.

- Tak
I guess we just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Wouldn't spying the Saunders to find out their strategy be against the rules and dishonorable? I'm just surprised Miho just went along with it.
Surprised that Saunders team haven't filed an official complaint about that.
Maybe there's nothing in the rule book that says it's illegal to do such a thing.

Or perhaps it's because the leader of the american team doesn't mind. She did laugh at Yukari's "Sergeant Oddball" excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Well, without Miho, they would have no chance. Since the Panzercraft team seems to be very important, they need her. Imagine the team with Momo as commander and quail.
Oorai would have been doomed right from the start with Momo as commander.

On another topic. The Firefly and a Sherman A1 76mm are the "boss" tanks that Saunders are using. Wondering if a battle with those would be difficult. I think being a flag battle makes things easier. Unlike the practice match with the british where they need to take down every single tank (including the thick armored Churchill tank) - this time if Oorai could somehow take down the Firefly, then the other tanks don't need to be dealt with anymore.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 09:34   Link #1035
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
For real for you can't recall a famous country with Iron Cross ?
Spoiler for Iron Cross:

Google and Wiki are your friend . And The German army today still use Iron Cross from the tradition of Teutonic Knight's symbol.
Then maybe I should remove that for not getting a lawsuit...(Thanks for pointing it out, and remove the replied post, and anything related...)

I am not into history so ya, the last time someone showed me the book was like 4-5 years ago...(I can't remember things beyond 2 years...)

So you can say, I have little background history, and little info. That makes me hard and thus made an assumption. Very sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 2012-11-07, 10:39   Link #1036
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
The question of how well-armed an infantry unit is isn't answered by an infantryman's personal gear. It's answered by how much artillery the unit has access to and how well-supplied with ammunition they are. Machine guns are of lesser, but still significant importance. But that's more in terms of how many a unit has, and not really about how good they are.
Ya know, I did address this by pointing out the availability of Japanese heavy weapons and superior logistics.

Quote:
Ooarai is the only school that's not representing a particular country. Not even Japan strangely enough.
We know they represent the UN, duh!!!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 10:57   Link #1037
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
We know they represent the UN, duh!!!

- Tak
Is UN even considered a country? I thought it is made up of a lot of countries?
Old 2012-11-07, 11:00   Link #1038
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Wouldn't spying the Saunders to find out their strategy be against the rules and dishonorable? I'm just surprised Miho just went along with it.
Or perhaps it's because the leader of the american team doesn't mind. She did laugh at Yukari's "Sergeant Oddball" excuse.
I have to admit, I missed the Oddball reference on the first time through, but when the two teams met before the match I did a mental double take "Did they just reference Kelly's Heroes?!?"

The American team leader does seem to be easy going, and probably that tankery themed shout out soared her opinion of Yukari way over such trivial matters as spying.

Now, there's a fräulein who really knows where her tank is.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 11:08   Link #1039
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
I have to admit, I missed the Oddball reference on the first time through, but when the two teams met before the match I did a mental double take "Did they just reference Kelly's Heroes?!?"

The American team leader does seem to be easy going, and probably that tankery themed shout out soared her opinion of Yukari way over such trivial matters as spying.

Now, there's a fräulein who really knows where her tank is.
Let hope Saunders won't bring this up when they lose
Old 2012-11-07, 11:09   Link #1040
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Is UN even considered a country? I thought it is made up of a lot of countries?
UN peacekeeping .. tank battallion?

It is decidedly so
willx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks