AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-17, 20:10   Link #1
SpartenOmega117

Just finished Gurren Lagann but need some help

It was a very good anime. But now i cant decide what anime to watch next. I have watched naruto, death note, dragon ball z, code geass, fullmetal alchemist, and now of course gurren lagann. What do you guys think i should watch net? I would prefer it to be english dubbed and have that bright happy feeling that fullmetal alchemist had and possibly a school like setting like in code geass.
Old 2010-07-17, 20:20   Link #2
kitten320

How about Mai HiME? It has school like setting, humour, action and some drama.

Soul Eater - also has school setting, has happy feeling and good action.

Fairy Tail - also is action with humour though without school settings.

Angel Beats - action, humour but also has some tragedy and concentrates on some slight drama, has school settings.

Pandora Heart - not with school settings, but also action packed, with humour and some nice characters.

Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - school settings, action and humour.

Valkyria Chronicles - not school settings, but is action based, has military involved and some fantasy, has humour in it and also slight drama.

If you need more details about any of them, let me know.
Old 2010-07-17, 20:33   Link #3
SpartenOmega117

how is soul eater. Does it have good characters? Also how many episodes does it have?
Old 2010-07-18, 08:06   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartenOmega117 View Post
how is soul eater. Does it have good characters? Also how many episodes does it have?
It's a well written cast i must say. One that you surely will love as you progress with the story. & it's 50 episodes long.

Also it would help if you told us what genres you like and such, so we know what to recommend.
Old 2010-07-18, 09:50   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Soul Eater would probably do.

You might also try Chrome Shelled Regios

If you want to try something a little different from typical action but still with a school setting and a general happy feel, you can try Haruhi Suzumiya. Has a very good English dub too.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-18, 12:32   Link #6
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Some other animes I think you'd enjoy based off of your list:
  • Fullmetal Panic! - School setting, humor, action, some serious plot
  • Fullmetal Panic Fumoffu! - School setting, extreme humor, comical episodic plots
  • Samurai Champloo - Feudal Japan with samurai setting, humor, action
  • Also fully support the previous recommendations of Soul Eater - School setting, lotsa humor, sortof a blend of characters from Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2010-07-18, 12:47   Link #7
SpartenOmega117

Animes like B Gata H Kei

I have been watching many serious animes like code geass but B Gata H Kei was refreshing and was hilarious. Are there any animes similar to B Gata H Kei?
Old 2010-07-18, 13:18   Link #8
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Mmmm, this is tough since this genre really is not my type...I actually steer clear of ecchi shows. But here are some suggestions I think may fit your tastes:

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2010-07-18, 13:19   Link #9
james0246

You might like...

Kanokon
KissXSis
Kimi ni Todoke (no ecchi)
Arakawa Under the Bridge (no ecchi)
maybe Katanagatari (no ecchi)
Spice and Wolf

Of course, there are also a variety of harem shows you might like (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, Kannagi, To Love-Ru, Rosario to Vampire, Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, etc)
Old 2010-07-18, 15:57   Link #10
Seiryuu

Tough call. BGHK is just about as unique as you can get. Might want to try Seitokai Yaukindomo. The school president here is possibly a bigger pervert than Yamada, and definitely more open about it. Ladies v. Butlers is pretty funny as well. Is there anything in particular about BGHK you like? If not, just go to the AS series list, click Genre, then Ecchi and have fun.
For characters obsessed with sex or related things, might try Chu-Bra.
Old 2010-07-18, 16:02   Link #11
SpartenOmega117

Anime that meets these demands

1. English dubbed (if possible, not a necessity)
2. Has Comedy
3. Under 20 episodes
4. Has a bright happy feeling to it
5. Has a happy ending
6. School like setting (again if possible, not a neccesity)
7. Has Romance
8. Similar to the following animes - Code Geass, B Gata H Kei

Thanks in advance. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Old 2010-07-18, 16:05   Link #12
SpartenOmega117

how do i get to series list?
Old 2010-07-18, 16:28   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

http://beta.animesuki.com/series
MAL
Old 2010-07-19, 03:46   Link #14
Kazu
Flowing

well I just recently finished GTO and loved it but it's over 20 episodes but I loved it

especially the voices, I actually like them, not cause they're actually good ,but to me I cant imagine Fujiyoshi
without that typical surfer dude voice or any other any other characters without those english dubbed voices,

I just love the voices for some reason, but go watch GTO, it's kind of old so if that puts you off, just letting you know

Last edited by Kazu; 2010-07-19 at 04:02.
Old 2010-07-19, 04:18   Link #15
straferd
Toushi

Mai HiME is a very bad tip if he wants "that bright happy feeling". In the second part Mai Hime becomes really dark and dramatic.
Old 2010-07-19, 12:42   Link #16
kitten320

Code Geass wasn't all fluffy either, besides Mai HiME still has a light at the end despite the whole drama.

Anyway with that list given I can slightly shorten my suggestions, it is the list of anime that doesn't exceed 30 episodes.

Angel Beats - full of humour, school settings, 13 episodes long, has some romance involvement and some action.

Pandora Hearts - Humour, action, some hints on romance, 25 episodes long.

Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun - school settings, action and humour - both seasons are 24 episodes long.

Valkyria Chronicles - not school settings, but is action based, has military involved and some fantasy, has humour in it and also slight drama but over all a happy ending and has 26 episodes.

Air Gear - humour, sports, some action, a happy ending (though series ended hanging) and is 25 episodes long. Slight romance hints.

I didn't watch B Gata H Kei, not really my type but if you like something like school romance then you can try:

Clannad - completly school based, lots of humour but also has lots of drama so it is kinda balanced. But it has happy ending and 100% romance. Especially season 2. they are 23 and 24 episodes long.

Green Green - school settings, comedy (with slight drama), romance, at some point could be called harem like. Only 12 episodes long... though it has extra episode 13, the continuation but it has hentai scenes.

Love Hina - definetly a harem show, romance and comedy. Though in this case I would strictly recommend manga more... but anime still is good and it is 25 episodes long.

Suzuka - school settings, 100% romance based. Has humour but also a lot of drama (involves love triangle), but has happy ending.

Toradora - school based comedy and romance.

Rosario + Vampire - harem, comedy, romance, slight action - but manga is 100% better.
Old 2010-07-19, 13:01   Link #17
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It looks like you're looking for generally action orientated or shonenish types. Since you're looking for something that has some comedy and is school based, I would have to recommend:
To Aru Majutsu no Index
Angel Beats
Dennou Coil
Durarara!!

Unfortunetly, neither of those are dubbed.
Old 2010-07-20, 20:07   Link #18
Boduar

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu fits your requirements pretty well and was a rather good series overall (I dont even really like the genre and I enjoyed it a lot).

Alternative fantasy/action would be Tower of Druaga (1st/2nd season).
Old 2010-07-20, 22:25   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The author of Gurren Lagann also wrote Oh! Edo Rocket, but the two shows have essentially nothing in common other than being off-beat comedies.
Closed Thread