AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-04-17, 08:47   Link #461
Richocet
Lover of Purity

OK so one question on tht...was perseus a heretic god?? or a normal one??
Richocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 08:47   Link #462
Riki
ランダム王

...ame no murakumo no tsurugi is from the japanese legends right? its a katana/japanese sword right?
why does it look like a double-edge sword westerner's use in the anime?
Old 2012-04-17, 08:51   Link #463
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richocet View Post
OK so one question on tht...was perseus a heretic god?? or a normal one??
Heretic. The only 'normal', real goddess in the Campione Universe is Pandora herself.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 08:56   Link #464
Soji

Riki@ The Ironic thing is ,this sword it's also call the same way as our mc *Kusanagi* lol
I wonder if the author thought about this when he make the name for the mc and that he would use this sword in the ln.
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 11:01   Link #465
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riki View Post
...ame no murakumo no tsurugi is from the japanese legends right? its a katana/japanese sword right?
why does it look like a double-edge sword westerner's use in the anime?
ame no murakumo no tsurugi is not a katana even in the original legend. Katana was developed far later and if you notice, you will see that the katana dont have a single appearence in the god mythology of japan, its only appear later in youkai,oni folklore. The whole idea katana = jp sword is wrong, japan have many type of sword and the ame no murakumo no tsurugi is more similar to chinese sword rather than the western one.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 14:04   Link #466
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

the tsurugi is not a katana.
Although in a lot of representations they made it look like a katana.
As dragon states, it looks like a Roman Gladius. And its primary was 1 handed, while a katana uses 2 hands.
Reason why its so godly / special.. is beause there is no history on how it was created minus myths, hence why its considered a divine weapon and has its own name.

there is no "godly" katana, because katana's were all forged by man. And history recorded them being forged by man.
This is no exception to even the muramasa, and masamune... as those are names of blacksmiths and not swords.
Katana's are subject to curses tho, from the many vicitims its claimed. Especially the muramasa line.
Katana's can also be cerimonial, and blessed to made holy... like the Masamune swords. :P

So for a katana, its either cursed, or blessed. Thats it.... no godly divine Katana, because gods wouldnt copy man in creating a sword called the katana.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 14:24   Link #467
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigomorla View Post
the tsurugi is not a katana.
Although in a lot of representations they made it look like a katana.
As dragon states, it looks like a Roman Gladius. And its primary was 1 handed, while a katana uses 2 hands.
Reason why its so godly / special.. is beause there is no history on how it was created minus myths, hence why its considered a divine weapon and has its own name.

there is no "godly" katana, because katana's were all forged by man. And history recorded them being forged by man.
This is no exception to even the muramasa, and masamune... as those are names of blacksmiths and not swords.
Katana's are subject to curses tho, from the many vicitims its claimed. Especially the muramasa line.
Katana's can also be cerimonial, and blessed to made holy... like the Masamune swords. :P

So for a katana, its either cursed, or blessed. Thats it.... no godly divine Katana, because gods wouldnt copy man in creating a sword called the katana.
I don't know if you are right or not, since I don't study Japanese mythology, but I do know there were at least two Japanese swords wielded by gods (Susanoo, Amaterasu). considering how the "god" system seems to work, any legendary figure well known enough can be a god. So it isn't a stretch that swords weilded by gods could be famous enough to have some form of divine power.
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 14:28   Link #468
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
I don't know if you are right or not, since I don't study Japanese mythology, but I do know there were at least two Japanese swords wielded by gods (Susanoo, Amaterasu). considering how the "god" system seems to work, any legendary figure well known enough can be a god. So it isn't a stretch that swords weilded by gods could be famous enough to have some form of divine power.
those were tsrugui's:

Kusanagi's Tsurugi
Totsuka Tsurugi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totsuka-no-Tsurugi

Again Tsurugi is NOT a Katana.
Its a one handed chinese long sword which is typically hilt gaurdless like a roman gladius.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsurugi
Old 2012-04-17, 14:30   Link #469
Soji

XFire@ If you guys think about this. most of the time ,ame no murakumo no tsurugi or kusanagi is used like a godslayer sword or Divine sword . So would no be the first time that the sword had a more big role that the one in the legend(because i'm almost sure that the sword never have this role).
Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-17, 14:33   Link #470
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
XFire@ If you guys think about this. most of the time ,ame no murakumo no tsurugi or kusanagi is used like a godslayer sword or Divine sword . So would no be the first time that the sword had a more big role that the one in the legend(because i'm almost sure that the sword never have this role).
no im fairly sure its because there is no godly crafted katana.
The katana was made by man, designed by man.
Its not a weapon created by the Gods.

A katana got its name though its creator.
So a Muramasa Katana, was a katana created by Muramasa.
And he created a lot of katanas.

Kusanagi's and Totsuka have Divine history behind them.
Hence why they are considered Divine.

Oh as funny as it may sound.. the most famous Katana is probably Sephiroths Masamune from FF7 ... :P

Last edited by aigomorla; 2012-04-17 at 14:45.
Old 2012-04-17, 16:07   Link #471
XFire
150% done

Quote:
no im fairly sure its because there is no godly crafted katana.
The katana was made by man, designed by man.
Its not a weapon created by the Gods.

A katana got its name though its creator.
So a Muramasa Katana, was a katana created by Muramasa.
And he created a lot of katanas.

Kusanagi's and Totsuka have Divine history behind them.
Hence why they are considered Divine.

Oh as funny as it may sound.. the most famous Katana is probably Sephiroths Masamune from FF7 ... :P
What I meant is that the system for deciding what is "divine" and what isn't is different in-universe. Since the sword is so famous, it could have gained it's own legend, thus becoming divine. Not like it matters though, because I think Godou broke it when it made Ena go nuts.
Old 2012-04-17, 17:09   Link #472
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
What I meant is that the system for deciding what is "divine" and what isn't is different in-universe. Since the sword is so famous, it could have gained it's own legend, thus becoming divine. Not like it matters though, because I think Godou broke it when it made Ena go nuts.
huh im lost???

Divine means anything which a god has created, or used.
It means it wasnt created by Man... hence a man made sword cant be a divine weapon unless man sealed a divine spirit inside the weapon.

And if the author says its a divine weapon, he doesnt need any real proof to say its a divine weapon.

If the author says the tsurugi is a katana... then its a katana..

However Dragon wanted to correct whats truth and what isnt.
A Tsurugi isnt a Katana.
And the reason why there is no godly divine katana in real life, is because they were all fabricated after a period in time where man started recording and all can be traced back to man.

And personally Godou needs a better weapon besides the golden swords... Yes there cool and nice, but its VERY LIMITED... and if he barfs it, he's virtually screwed.
I think he used use Firearms to represent he's the new generation Campione...
Magical Godly Pistols which shows he's the present.

However i can see more buildings getting blown up in accidental miss fire this way, then how its done with just the boar.
Old 2012-04-17, 17:18   Link #473
Athena
The Power of One

To clarify:

1. Tsurugi is not a Katana. Because "Tsurugi" can be used on both edges, while that's not the case for katanas.

2. The sword of Kusanagi seems to be from a divine beast, or at least a demon. Means that it's not made by a God, but rather...not divine, but "sacred".
Old 2012-04-17, 17:25   Link #474
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
To clarify:

2. The sword of Kusanagi seems to be from a divine beast, or at least a demon. Means that it's not made by a God, but rather...not divine, but "sacred".
i covered that point.

Quote:
It means it wasnt created by Man... hence a man made sword cant be a divine weapon unless man sealed a divine spirit inside the weapon.
:P
Old 2012-04-17, 17:26   Link #475
XFire
150% done

@aigomorla you are using the real world definition of divine. But last I checked, Lancelot, Perseus, and Guinevere were not gods in their legends. But they are considered gods because their legends were so great that they transcended humanity. So if a legacy is what makes something divine, then it could happen to the sword, too.
Old 2012-04-17, 17:27   Link #476
Athena
The Power of One

Wait, but a man-made sword can be a divine weapon, depending what a god does with it afterwards. Or what he does with it.

Quote:
@aigomorla you are using the real world definition of divine. But last I checked, Lancelot, Perseus, and Guinevere were not gods in their legends. But they are considered gods because their legends were so great that they transcended humanity. So if a legacy is what makes something divine, then it could happen to the sword, too.
They have been "divinized", more like. Meaning that if tomorrow all the people on Earth will adore me as a god, I'll become one.
Old 2012-04-17, 17:31   Link #477
XFire
150% done

@ KiRa08o2 Yeah that seems to be how the system worked. Though I think you need to be dead before becoming a god. So if everyone loved you, and then you fell down the stairs and broke you're neck, you'd become a god. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 2012-04-17, 17:32   Link #478
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

well history and technology also change "legendary" status.

To be honest, would you really want excalibur or take a light saber?

:\

Sorry Jedi Wins over Old Folklore. :X
Old 2012-04-17, 17:38   Link #479
Athena
The Power of One

Quote:
@ KiRa08o2 Yeah that seems to be how the system worked. Though I think you need to be dead before becoming a god. So if everyone loved you, and then you fell down the stairs and broke you're neck, you'd become a god. I wouldn't recommend it.
So if I'm alive....then I'd be a "living legend"?

Quote:
To be honest, would you really want excalibur or take a light saber?

:\

Sorry Jedi Wins over Old Folklore. :X
I'd double-wield them.
Old 2012-04-17, 17:38   Link #480
XFire
150% done

@ Aigomorla would you use a light saber against one of the Excaliburs from DxD?

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel, true harem