AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 31 43.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 26.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-14, 00:30   Link #61
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

What, why is the teacher suddenly bringing a knife to class? Gonna prepare a tuna? For homeroom?
Now that's a good teacher.
Still, from the PV, it looks like he doesn't do a good job. Gotta do it cleaner if you are gonna do it in front of a class.

In the meantime, I just hope everything turns out to be supernatural, and not try to give "realistic" explanations like Umineko.

Protagonist needs to actually taunt the class, instead of dreaming about it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-02-14, 00:46   Link #62
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
And on goes the happy timetabeling based on the new info we've got so far.

Spoiler for timetable based on info up to episode 6:

So by now we have a pretty big net of different events. The job now is to connect them and try to make a little more sense of them.
The "making one student inexistent" thing doesn't seem to be that reliable after all if Chibiki says it's a 50/50 chance of success or failure. It pretty much implies that there might as well be something different stopping or continuing the events altogether.
The Kubodera-sensei scene at the end is in July not June.
Old 2012-02-14, 01:59   Link #63
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
A thought occurs to me. Perhaps the calamity can't interfere with phone calls. But it can mess with your memories of the conversation.
I suppose it might be capable of messing with people's memories in real time, but I don't think that's what the conversation was about. The way I see it, the scene was there to convey something else, two points in particular:

1) Koichi is alive and thus can't be the "another"
2) Koichi's memories (and thus his perception of current events, or more specifically - perception of the people involved in them) can't be trusted, since they differ from his father's (Who is outside the influence zone, thus serves as both affirmation of Koichi being alive, and a source of information that isn't suspect to manipulation) - he has fallen victim to the memory altering phenomenon as well.

Personally I'm starting to suspect that Reiko might actually be the "another", or at least clues seem to be pointing that way (unless it's another lead by the nose) - The Grandpa's "My poor Ritsuko ... my poor Reiko too ..." being the most telling one, coupled with the fact Koichi apparently visited Yomiyama 1.5 years ago. I'd throw a wild guess and say the reason he did so was to attend Reiko's funeral.

We also have the parrot, who keeps constantly saying "Why, Rei-chan, why?". Besides the fact that Rei-chan is apparently the parrot's name as well, Rei-chan is short for "Reiko". Also note how the bird got excited right after the grandpa sobbed out Reiko's name, with his "Cheer up, cheer up" routine. Also note that the grandpa said previously that he has "gotten tired of funerals" - while not impossible, seems like a slightly odd thing to say after one funeral, no matter how much of a blow it was. It would, however, make a good deal more sense if he had to bury both of his daughters, which would also better explain his current distraught mental state.

Which brings us to the next point, his obviously slightly unhinged mind. I suppose it might be possible that Ritsuko's death affected him so much he has started treating Reiko as "dead" as well, but that seems pretty far fetched - instead, I would hazard a wild guess that his messed up mind might actually somewhat "protect" the grandpa from being messed with, because ... well, he is already pretty messed up to start with.

there is the obvious issue of Reiko not being a student of the class 3, but I think this episode actually subtly and cleverly refuted that being a necessary requirement as well - classmates mentioning that the number of seats was actually spot-on during the start of the year. And yet, the "Another" certainly exists this year, seeing the phenomenon is going full force and people keep dying. I think we can infer a few things from this:

The "another" doesn't necessarily have to be someone from the class, but most likely is still someone connected to it (In the same two-generation gap that the phenomenon affects I suppose). The class itself still serves as the trigger though, seeing that Koichi's addition (and thus throwing the initial seat number off) apparently triggered the curse this year.

Which would also tie nicely in to the librarian's comment that this "countermeasure" is only about 50% effective - perhaps it works when the "Another" is indeed someone from class 3, but doesn't during the times when "Another" isn't someone directly from the class, merely someone connected to it via bloodline.

... ok, my head is starting to spin now
Regardless, this episode provided a lot of information and clues in what could be the right direction, more so than what might seem obvious at a first glance. Although it requires a couple of assumptions to work, unless the underlying hints are misleading us on purpose, I'm leaning heavily towards the assumption that Reiko is the "Another".
Old 2012-02-14, 02:21   Link #64
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's a mynah, dammit!
Old 2012-02-14, 02:36   Link #65
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Perhaps ... though poor Rei-chan will have to live with being called a parrot for now (Maybe that's why the bird is upset all the time ? )

Speaking of which, I wonder if animals would be susceptible to memory manipulation as well ? Assuming they are indeed untouched by the phenomenon, I guess that could explain why it keeps "mourning" Rei-chan, despite Reiko seemingly being right there all the time. And then we have her comment how she can't stand the bird ... of course it could be her being annoyed at the noise it keeps making, but I doubt it's something as simple as that, especially with the other suspicious clues pointing in her direction.
Old 2012-02-14, 02:48   Link #66
EroKing

Indeed a mynah.

Can someone translate what those say? We got a shot of this while he was on the phone with his dad. (Brightened it up with shadows/highlights filter)
Old 2012-02-14, 02:50   Link #67
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Hm... The thing about parrots, is that they are animals. They don't understand human speech, they just mimic what they hear. If they mimic something enough, it would become somewhat of a verbal tic or habit. Habits aren't stored in the same way that past recollections are, so it's very possible that the parrot's incoherent babbling is unaffected by memory alterations.

I also believe that when the guy said "the number of seats was spot on" means there was already an extra seat reserved for Sakakibara, but when he arrived they were one seat short regardless of that. So I don't think the "another" is somebody outside of the class. It cannot be Ritsuko, since her name still appears in the records of the class that many (27?) years ago. Same goes for Reiko, btw, because everyone's memories place her in the class of 15 years ago. This episode has just established that the extra student disappears off the records of their old class for the duration of the year.

I think the key to figuring this thing out is if anybody were to actively notice and remember the tiny inconsistencies. Not the memories themselves, but what is said -about- the memories. For example, someone saying that "A happened", and someone would say "No it didn't, it was more like B", and then the first person would be like, "You're right, B happened, where the hell did I get the idea that A happened?", if someone were to pick up on that stuff, maybe they could follow the clues to their conclusion.
Old 2012-02-14, 03:28   Link #68
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I also believe that when the guy said "the number of seats was spot on" means there was already an extra seat reserved for Sakakibara, but when he arrived they were one seat short regardless of that.
Actually there isn't anything to suggest they had a seat reserved for him, more like the opposite I'd say - if they had expected a transfer student prior the start of the school year (and thus had prepared a seat for him), it wouldn't even make sense to say "I thought it wouldn't happen this year because we had the right amount of seats" - they would know beforehand that the "right amount of seats" only exists because the new student is temporarily absent, and thus it wouldn't be "the right amount" for very long.

The very fact it was considered "the right amount" means Koichi wasn't factored in, during the time said assessment was made (start of the school year).

Last edited by Skyfall; 2012-02-14 at 04:39.
Old 2012-02-14, 04:36   Link #69
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibur View Post
Not really sure but didn't he say he isn't connected to class 3 anymore so the curse doesn't affect him.
If the 'memory' cheat does not apply to him then he (and all other teachers) should be able to tell who the extra person is considering how much time he spends at the school. Unless the other workers don't even bother to look at the current 3-3 roster afraid to get involved and Mr Librarian is only talking to the "ignored" students.

Then again he talked to Sakakibara before he got ignored...

v( ' ')v

If the memory cheat works on everyone in the town, the another's 'afterlife' is forgotten after graduation and both rosters get back to "normal" (the deceased disappearing from the recent one after graduation and reappearing in their original class roster) then yea - no bloody clue how they figure out who was the another.

> I cannot comprehend the logic behind this.

Why the hell couldn't they show the full roster for that year to make it clear? Maybe people who actually know Japanese and can figure out the order could fill us in where the deceased should be located on the list? I assume there is some alphabetical order.

Last edited by Horse; 2012-02-14 at 04:49.
Old 2012-02-14, 04:40   Link #70
Unknown Soldier
:D

For those who haven't seen it or just plain forgot, the dance sequence is an obvious reference to Pulp Fiction. It's based on John Travolta and Uma Thurman's famous dance in that movie.

And yes, that was a level of moe that was almost too great for my heart to handle.

Spoiler:
Old 2012-02-14, 04:56   Link #71
DesuX2

Well, this episode sure threw a monkey wrench in my theory. With Chibiki coming out to explain everything, I don't know where to start.

We now know that Misaki (the mom of Mei) is central to the mystery, there's now a Mikami-sensei, who was a teacher in 1996, who may be important, and the date of 1996, 2 years ago, where it is hinted that there has been some memory-alteration going on.

Everything in the episode is just plain weird. I didn't understand most of it and they all seemed to me like false flags, red herrings to throw people off the right track.

At least now with the very very very very very cute "dance" sequence we can confirm that in Umineko style, the narrator's (Sakakibara) perspective is unreliable, not everything can be taken as literal truth.

Oh and before I forgot
Spoiler for About Misaki's Gender:
Old 2012-02-14, 05:03   Link #72
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
Oh and before I forgot
Spoiler for About Misaki's Gender:
OK, I may be mixing shit up but why would there be any memory alteration in regards to THAT? That's the original death - before the phenomenon started.
Old 2012-02-14, 05:53   Link #73
Qikz

Great, so on the 13th of July (according to the board). The teacher goes insane and starts killing people.

Thanks for the brilliant Birthday Present
Old 2012-02-14, 05:58   Link #74
DesuX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
OK, I may be mixing shit up but why would there be any memory alteration in regards to THAT? That's the original death - before the phenomenon started.
Well that's because everyone is ignoring the first part of this episode, which seems pretty weird considering the implications. Because names seem to have very important purposes in this anime, and since they are Japanese, it is hard for me to say anything outside of what I already know.

I still maintain that there is a "human" solution to the mystery rather than relying on a supernatural explanation though.

What I do know is that Japanese culture dictates that kids take the surname of their male parent. Then there's further confusion because Misaki can be both a surname and a given name.

Spoiler for Yomiyama Misaki:

Now, why is it that so? Why did Mei not take on her father's surname? And why is the shop called "The Hollow Eyes of Yomi at Twilight"? And how does that relate to the central mystery?

My answer is that Misaki Kirika and Yomiyama Misaki married/were a couple, and their child is called Misaki Mei. Misaki Fujiwara is Misaki Mei's twin sister, and for unknown reasons died in April. The tension between Misaki Kirika and Misaki Mei is due to the nature of the curse, and she sees Mei as bad luck.

My second, more radical theory is that
Spoiler for Kirika = Misaki:

This, I hope, explains why I think Chibiki is mistaken about Yomiyama Misaki's gender.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:02   Link #75
Horse

Please... stop that umineko bullshit.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:11   Link #76
Kakkou
Tch.

If we go by what's been given so far, Chibiki shouldn't be affected by the memory alteration anymore because he is no longer affiliated with Class 3, hence why he can talk with the ignored ones just like the art club students.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:14   Link #77
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesuX2 View Post
"memories can be altered" clause.
As far as I know memories can be erased not altered to remember things differently.Meaning someone either remembers something or they don't but they definatly do not remember anything differently from the way they were.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-02-14 at 06:24.
Old 2012-02-14, 06:28   Link #78
DesuX2

Well, I don't know according to Mei, the clause that she describes in the last episode:
Spoiler for Misaki Mei on the curse:

This could be another (pun not intended) case of bad translation though. I don't know. But logically speaking, I think that there's no difference.

To use a metaphor, If "I forget where my car keys are", it would be the same as saying "I forgot where I originally put my car keys." I am not arguing that "My car keys do not exist", I simply "Forgot the looks and location of my car keys and it is very hard to find them without remembering."

We saw in this episode that even Kouichi's dad fell victim to the "memory-alteration" part of the curse if you believe in the supernatural.

Spoiler for To be honest:

I don't think we can rule Chibiki out as not being part of "the curse", because after all, he is still intimately connected to the incident in 1983. It would seem rather unfair that he got a free get-out-of-jail-card while running away while Kouichi's mom died.

Also, I liked the metaphor in this episode

Spoiler for Metaphor of the week:
Old 2012-02-14, 06:33   Link #79
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wasn't that one year later in 1999 ?
Yeah, but it seems that for the fantasy sequence the screenwriter got this idea from that music video, and as Totoum said, also straight out of Pulp Fiction.
Old 2012-02-14, 07:28   Link #80
warita
Dai-Youkai

Wow Skyfall, a lot of thought went into this post, I am impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post

Personally I'm starting to suspect that Reiko might actually be the "another", or at least clues seem to be pointing that way (unless it's another lead by the nose) - The Grandpa's "My poor Ritsuko ... my poor Reiko too ..." being the most telling one, coupled with the fact Koichi apparently visited Yomiyama 1.5 years ago. I'd throw a wild guess and say the reason he did so was to attend Reiko's funeral.
Sounds interesting..... but in that case Reikos death was unrelated to the curse, because the family didnt have any family member in the 3rd class at that point.

If however Reiko is the another, it would explain why she is behaving so weird, why the parrot keeps saying "why Rei chan, why?", basically asking her why she returned and it would also explain why the countermeasure of ignoring one student works only 50:50 of the time.

But if we asume, that the extra dead person can appear outside the cursed classroom, why would they be short on one desk? This part doesnt make sense, because obviously there is one extra student in the classroom. Not an aunt who sits at home all the time and complains about headaches.

I think I need to rewatch the last episode one more time, I wasnt paying full attention to the explanation given by the librarian. And I think this part was crucial for the understanding of the curse.
Closed Thread