Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-02-09, 21:02   Link #1
Tsurara
Teh PLushie Master

Send a message via AIM to Tsurara Send a message via Yahoo to Tsurara
Someone Selling Naruto Fansubs

Just a heads up.

This really made me mad, I reported them to ebay but nothing has happened yet. They have no bids (thank god) hopfully people aren't stupid enough to bid on that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gename=rvi:1:3
Tsurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 21:04   Link #2
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

I wish I could kick that guy's ass...but I don't know where he lives. -_-
Old 2004-02-09, 21:07   Link #3
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

so you guys are saying i should cancel my bids, right?
p3psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 21:10   Link #4
GlassJAw

Just do a search for Naruto on eBay and you'll find about 30 or 40 of these items being put for sale..
Together with $30 head-protectors
GlassJAw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 21:22   Link #5
Tsurara
Teh PLushie Master

I hate it when people take other people's things and make money off of it. It's so rude. If anyone bids on it and gets it they are going to see "This is a free Fansub, do not sell" or whatever on it...and they'll be pissed.

Oh, BTW I'm new hello! ^__^
Old 2004-02-09, 21:49   Link #6
Xenocraze

They can sell the head protectors and throw in the CDs of Naruto with it... What's the problem with that? Also, why couldn't they sell Naruto on CD anyway? As long as they aren't selling them soley... They could be selling the "time it takes" to get the episodes and the CD value used to burn them. I don't see a problem with that. If I just found out about Naruto right now, I wouldn't want to download all 69 episodes myself on my 64k... I'd sure go for Naruto on CD if it was a fair price. In that case, I'd be buying time, not the Naruto soley. Hope that makes sense.
Xenocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 22:21   Link #7
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocraze
They can sell the head protectors and throw in the CDs of Naruto with it... What's the problem with that? Also, why couldn't they sell Naruto on CD anyway? As long as they aren't selling them soley... They could be selling the "time it takes" to get the episodes and the CD value used to burn them. I don't see a problem with that. If I just found out about Naruto right now, I wouldn't want to download all 69 episodes myself on my 64k... I'd sure go for Naruto on CD if it was a fair price. In that case, I'd be buying time, not the Naruto soley. Hope that makes sense.
Well you see... there's is only one reason why you shouldn't sell fansubs.

that would defeat the entire purpose of fansubs

Think about it this way... If you took time and LOTS of effort to make something... say a software... but you wanted everyone to get it for free because you made it for people so they can enjoy it! Now, all of a sudden this guy comes... takes your program, then puts it on Ebay for 20 bucks.

Fansubers are like that, they're good people... fans just like us with enough dedication to share their talents so we could enjoy what's not sold yet in the states or where ever you live. Some fansubers do sell their subbed episodes on VHS and what not but it's their own work, no someone elses. Well, that's enough ranting... lets respect the fansubbers by honoring their wishes that their work is freely spread for all the fans to enjoy... and the people that take advantage and try to cash in on this... should never be allowed to watch another fansub again.

Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 22:26   Link #8
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
What an asshat for selling that....Guy should be slapped...many times.
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 22:32   Link #9
Xenocraze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade

Think about it this way... If you took time and LOTS of effort to make something... say a software... but you wanted everyone to get it for free because you made it for people so they can enjoy it! Now, all of a sudden this guy comes... takes your program, then puts it on Ebay for 20 bucks.

Fansubs are like that, they're good people... fans just like us with enough dedication to share their talents so we could enjoy what's not sold yet in the states or where ever you live. Some fansubers do sell their subbed episodes on VHS and what not but it's their own work, no someone elses. Well, that's enough ranting... lets respect the fansubbers by honoring their wishes that their work is freely spread for all the fans to enjoy... and the people that take advantage and try to cash in on this... should never be allowed to watch another fansub again.

Umm... You should read my post more closely. heh I'll restate what I said in simple terms.

Selling the fansubs = bad
Selling the time it takes to get the fansubs for someone = okay

That's like a service to someone, and people sell services all over the place. You aren't selling the fansubs, but you're selling your own time.

ja nee :Þ
Old 2004-02-09, 22:44   Link #10
Lee-pimp
A.S.S. Vice President

i do see his point about the time it takes hell i have cable and takes an hour an episode with 64 k thats gonna take a LONG time to download.

btw tsurara welcome to the not so friendly all the time naruto forums
Lee-pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 22:49   Link #11
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocraze
Umm... You should read my post more closely. heh I'll restate what I said in simple terms.

Selling the fansubs = bad
Selling the time it takes to get the fansubs for someone = okay

That's like a service to someone, and people sell services all over the place. You aren't selling the fansubs, but you're selling your own time.

ja nee :Þ
I guess I failed to get my point across. Allow me to rephrase.

Selling of fansubs in any shape or form... bad.

It doesn't cost 20+ dollars for 3-4 dvd-rs and you can burn 1-68 of naruto off in less than 1 hour and a half(I would know, I did that yesterday but it was 1-69). I could see the temptation if you have a very bad connection but honestly, either get it for free, borrow it or better yet... just get broadband!

ja na =P

p.s I'm not trying to be mean, I just know how much work it takes to do fansubs(done well anyway) and I don't like tolerating any sort of selling of it from someone else other than the fansubbers themselves.

Oh ya, welcome to the forums Tsurara Stay away from "Revival of what characters would never say" in this forum if you are easily offended =P.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 23:06   Link #12
Xenocraze

Quote:
I guess I failed to get my point across. Allow me to rephrase.

Selling of fansubs in any shape or form... bad.

It doesn't cost 20+ dollars for 3-4 dvd-rs and you can burn 1-68 of naruto off in less than 1 hour and a half(I would know, I did that yesterday but it was 1-69). I could see the temptation if you have a very bad connection but honestly, either get it for free, borrow it or better yet... just get broadband!

ja na =P

p.s I'm not trying to be mean, I just know how much work it takes to do fansubs(done well anyway) and I don't like tolerating any sort of selling of it from someone else other than the fansubbers themselves.
That is true, but like any business, the manufacturing tools cost money. You must make that money back somehow. The tools in this case are the DVD burner, a couple hundred, and the broadband, about 30-50 bucks a month depending on the service... It's not free, and $20-30 on eBay is a hella better deal than all that, right? I don't have $200 plus, but I do have $20. Not for Naruto though. heh I'd rather download them like I have been, but maybe others wouldn't. I commend you on your strong stand against sellers of fansubs though. :Þ yokudekimashita
Old 2004-02-09, 23:40   Link #13
Kabuto

I saw some Naruto DVDs selling at chinatown for about 60$.
Since i know naruto hasn't been licenced yet. Are these DVDs lagit? I was just wondering.
Kabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 23:46   Link #14
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Lets get him.. ^^
Old 2004-02-09, 23:47   Link #15
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Xenocraze ill just summarize the whole thing in one sentence-

THIS IS NOT FOR SALE.

No matter how much time that they took to burn the cd, they still have no right to put a price tag on something copied and sell it for 20 bucks. Its those kind of people that drive fansubbers to quite just out of pure anger. Unless they were selling head protectors and added the episodes as a FREE BONUS, then no matter what they did, its still selling something that isnt their work.

Kabuto- i heard that there were legitimate dvds out in japan but only for like the first few episodes (zabuza arc?) so if they are past lets say episode 20, i doubt its legit.
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 23:59   Link #16
Umbrae
Generic Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuto
Since i know naruto hasn't been licenced yet. Are these DVDs lagit? I was just wondering.

I am willing to bet not. alot of people will turn fan subs into DVD's and sell then illeagly. also some will take an r2 DVD and copy it without region coding. add in a sub title track. tada, an almost release like DVD with usualy horible subbing quality.
Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 00:21   Link #17
Tsurara
Teh PLushie Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuto
Well, they are all HK Subs not someone else's fansub works. I am glad all of you agree with me. BTW some HK subs suck really badly...like the Tales of Eterinia one I go.

Even if I didn't have DSL I would still download the eps. It's the suspence right?
Old 2004-02-10, 00:37   Link #18
TheGreatYakoshi
The Baka Mangaka Returns!

There are Naruto DVDs, I've seen them for sale online and at anime stores. No regional coding, with 4 DVDs in each set. No idea how many episodes each though.

About the subject...I once had an argument with my best friend about the idea of selling free fansubs. Moral versus technical, you know? We both agreed that it IS wrong to sell free fansubs, no arguing there. However, she went the technical route, saying it's okay to give them away free with the sale of something else. Not really much you can say against that. But I still think that something that was given for free shouldn't be worked into a gimmick to make some money.

Nobody buys a CD/DVD burner for the express purpose of burning fansubbed anime and selling it. Same thing for a broadband connection. Most likely, you already had the means, you just decided to use it for personal gain after the fact. A quick easy buck. Really, the only way you make money is off of others' laziness or stupidity. So the idea of making someone pay for the "effort" it takes is secondary, because you really only did it for yourself.

If you're actually making a business out of selling fansubs, you are a wicked, demented little gnomewad (new word, yes). There's really no excuse for what this person is doing, no technicalities to save them, no reasoning that could spare them wrath. I seriously hope they get kicked off of eBay and banned. The only thing worse he/she could do is sell them AFTER it was licensed, which hopefully will never happen.

Btw, welcome to the AnimeSuki Naruto forums, Tsurara. Way to make an entrance.
TheGreatYakoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 02:01   Link #19
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatYakoshi
There are Naruto DVDs, I've seen them for sale online and at anime stores. No regional coding, with 4 DVDs in each set. No idea how many episodes each though.
Those are bootlegs.

The only official Naruto DVDs currently are the R2 Japanese DVDS.
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-10, 02:04   Link #20
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:

Fansubers are like that, they're good people... fans just like us with enough dedication to share their talents so we could enjoy what's not sold yet in the states or where ever you live. Some fansubers do sell their subbed episodes on VHS and what not but it's their own work, no someone elses. Well, that's enough ranting... lets respect the fansubbers by honoring their wishes that their work is freely spread for all the fans to enjoy... and the people that take advantage and try to cash in on this... should never be allowed to watch another fansub again.

I htink he is talking about charging them for the price of reproduction and distrobution... not selling for personal gain...

$20 is personal gain... unless it is 10DVDs and 10$ shipping.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote