AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-01, 03:56   Link #241
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
That's what Kaisos thinks. I think that the three altered days still exist and that if he traveled back in time to that period, he'd end up in the other universe. Fewer issues of causality that way. We have no confirmation either way, though.
And I think that this interpretation means that reading the book is a waste of time. =P

Should mention that Haruhi's powers should break causality though. In fact, one old theory I heard was that she is anti-causality incarnate.
Old 2009-08-02, 01:53   Link #242
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Kyon is the one person who can control Haruhi Suzumiya. This alone gives him no real power, but at the same time makes him the most powerful human on earth.

He's the "key to everything".

This is probably the answer that the book writer is aiming for. In other words, this will be the canon explanation, I think.

However... it doesn't jive for me in the sense that I don't recall seeing or reading Kyon influence Haruhi to any significant degree whatsoever... aside from that one time that he kissed her in "the dream".

Kyon exerts more influence over Haruhi than most people do - maybe even more than anybody else does - but that's kind of like saying that a glass of water is more influential against a forest fire than a droplet of water is.

Basically, I get what the book writer is going for, but I really hope that we see more and greater examples of Kyon influencing Haruhi if he decides to keep with this theme for all of the novels.
Old 2009-08-02, 02:18   Link #243
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Basically, I get what the book writer is going for, but I really hope that we see more and greater examples of Kyon influencing Haruhi if he decides to keep with this theme for all of the novels.
Kyon's opinion is really the only one that matters to her. Also she's in love with him.

He's just too lazy to realize it.
Old 2009-08-02, 02:26   Link #244
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Kyon's opinion is really the only one that matters to her. Also she's in love with him.

He's just too lazy to realize it.

Well, I know it's the canon pairing and all, but I personally don't feel much of a romance vibe coming off of Haruhi and towards Kyon... so I certainly can't fault Kyon himself for not feeling such a vibe. Haruhi is attached to Kyon, certainly, but... going by the tsundere system... there's not much deredere 'dere.

Part of the reason why I suggested ending Endless Eight by Kyon saying "I love you" to Haruhi (as Koizumi suggests) is that it would make the canon pairing actually feel like a canon pairing.
Old 2009-08-02, 02:28   Link #245
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Well, I know it's the canon pairing and all, but I personally don't feel much of a romance vibe coming off of Haruhi and towards Kyon... so I certainly can't fault Kyon himself for not feeling such a vibe. Haruhi is attached to Kyon, certainly, but... going by the tsundere system... there's not much deredere 'dere.
You really need to read the books man, seriously. =P

Haruhi does have deredere moments... also remember the end of Live Alive...?

In any case, it gets to the point that, by Vol. 9, you get the feeling that Kyon is refusing to address Haruhi's rather obvious feelings for him.
Old 2009-08-02, 09:03   Link #246
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Don't forget "Someday In The Rain."
Old 2009-08-02, 09:06   Link #247
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
You really need to read the books man, seriously. =P

Haruhi does have deredere moments... also remember the end of Live Alive...?

In any case, it gets to the point that, by Vol. 9, you get the feeling that Kyon is refusing to address Haruhi's rather obvious feelings for him.

I tried reading the books, but I was amazed by how identical it was to the anime. It was so identical that it lost my interest, Endless Eight style.

Still, I'll try to pick it up again, given your repeated recommendations. It's quite possible that the books show some good Haruhi deredere moments that the anime hasn't gotten to yet.

I will say that the anime alone actually gives me the impression that Kyon is interested in Haruhi... he's just too gutless to actually come out and say it (outside of a dream, any way).

Someday in the Rain definitely contains one of the better potential Haruhi/Kyon romance moments - specifically when she's putting the jacket over him as though tucking him in to bed; then he unexpectedly wakes up and Haruhi has this look of extreme dread on her face as though Kyon wasn't supposed to know what she was doing. Yeah, that can definitely be taken as a deredere moment.

The only other ones (that I can remember) were the kiss, and Haruhi and Kyon's fight against the elements during their trip to the Island Villa.

I may have to re-watch Live Alive to see if I'm missing something.
Old 2009-08-02, 09:35   Link #248
TakariCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
I think that the three altered days still exist and that if he traveled back in time to that period, he'd end up in the other universe. Fewer issues of causality that way. We have no confirmation either way, though.
I respectfully disagree. As soon as the Nagatos restores the world, we actually catch a glimpse of the start of the three days of the restored world, with Haruhi jumping in the ambulance with an unconscious Kyon and Koizumi talking on his cell. (Intrigues prologue). This insinuates that the world was in fact only remade for that short period of time, and the timeline which Kyon experienced from Dec 18th to the 20th no longer exists.
Old 2009-08-02, 09:42   Link #249
Zantetsuken

Kyon isn't gutless, he actively try to reject the idea that Haruhi likes him, and he may likes her back.

In vol 9 of the novel Itsuki spends several pages trying to explain Haruhi is jealous because Kyon met an old friend. But Kyon just won't understand. And we know Kyon is not stupid, book dumb maybe, but stupid? No way.
Old 2009-08-02, 14:59   Link #250
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I tried reading the books, but I was amazed by how identical it was to the anime. It was so identical that it lost my interest, Endless Eight style.
Anime still hasn't done Vol. 2, Vol. 4, Snow Mountain Syndrome, three of the stories in Vol. 6, and onward, and it's rendition of Lone Island Syndrome is completely different.

Skip everything the anime has done, is my advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
I respectfully disagree. As soon as the Nagatos restores the world, we actually catch a glimpse of the start of the three days of the restored world, with Haruhi jumping in the ambulance with an unconscious Kyon and Koizumi talking on his cell. (Intrigues prologue). This insinuates that the world was in fact only remade for that short period of time, and the timeline which Kyon experienced from Dec 18th to the 20th no longer exists.
This too.
Old 2009-08-02, 15:46   Link #251
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
The light novel was long finished on June 1, 2007 (10th Volume). Baka-Tsuki halt translation project and never got to translate the 10th volume, and didn’t update their Wiki Section regarding the Light Novel.

Ref: http://lsb-on.byethost24.com/?p=971

OTL
Old 2009-08-02, 16:01   Link #252
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
The light novel was long finished on June 1, 2007 (10th Volume). Baka-Tsuki halt translation project and never got to translate the 10th volume, and didn’t update their Wiki Section regarding the Light Novel.
Um.

What?
Old 2009-08-02, 16:03   Link #253
TakariCritic

... If there was a 10th novel in Japan from two years ago, it doesn't matter if it was translated. SOMEONE would have talked about it in english. I call bullshit.
Old 2009-08-02, 16:06   Link #254
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:

OTL
That website is made of lies.

I remember an article a year or so ago that was quickly proven to be ridiculously false... don't ever post links from that site again, please.
Old 2009-08-02, 20:01   Link #255
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:

OTL
Que? I'm sure if novel 10 were to be released, we'd hear about it from the japanese in a heartbeat. Also, don't trust everything SealKid says.
Old 2009-08-02, 20:16   Link #256
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Anime still hasn't done Vol. 2, Vol. 4, Snow Mountain Syndrome, three of the stories in Vol. 6, and onward, and it's rendition of Lone Island Syndrome is completely different.

Skip everything the anime has done, is my advice.

Thanks for the tips - it's helped a lot. I've read the prologue and a chapter and a half of Volume 2 so far. So far, these are my distinct impressions...

Spoiler for Haruhi novel vol. 2:
Old 2009-08-02, 20:32   Link #257
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Thanks for the tips - it's helped a lot. I've read the prologue and a chapter and a half of Volume 2 so far. So far, these are my distinct impressions...

Spoiler for Haruhi novel vol. 2:
I believer you don't need spoiler tags on this tread.

I think your inpressions are acording to this book. Sighs isn't the better book look for the romantic plot. Quite the opposit, actually, as you said, she treats Kyon (and everyone else) as a dog

. Chronologically, the deredere moments are more frequent after Live A Live. You will see more of it after Book4.

The same goes for Kyon. Only after Disappearance it is make clear that he likes Haruhi more then admits

You don't need to skip the 2nd though, but don't wait more then you are already seeing.
Old 2009-08-03, 01:16   Link #258
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
*snip*
I will say two things:

1) Vol. 7 pretty much kills any possibility of the Mikuru pairing.

2) Soon you will see why Vol. 2 is considered the worst book. You're already seeing some of it, but it gets worse...

Last edited by Tyabann; 2009-08-03 at 01:34.
Old 2009-08-03, 01:31   Link #259
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Others have already shot this down., but I'll pile on it now as well. I've been to Japan since the date given. I went to a Japanese bookstore. I saw all of the Haruhi light novels on display. There was no volume 10. There was no spot for volume 10. Volume 10 has not been released. Please don't post such absurd rumors in the future.
Old 2009-08-03, 01:38   Link #260
TakariCritic

Quote:
Makes me wonder if Kyon/Mikuru is the true pairing of the source material.
Once you read past volume four, you'll start to think it's Kyon/Yuki.

But we're treading on dangerous shipping war territory now. Haruhi seems to be taking a backseat in terms of story relevance past volume four. Mikuru and Yuki take over, Yuki especially. THe author acknowledges this, and confesses that he enjoys focus on Yuki because its easier to write her development.

Although what frustrates the fanbase, myself included, is the total lack of a Koizumi-centered story arc. Mikuru could fill about half a season with her material, Yuki can triple that. Itsuki can't even fill a single episode.

I know its because he has to maintain his "mysterious transfer student" role, but c'mon. Kyon's known Koizumi for over a year. There's got to be more about him.
Closed Thread