AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-20, 20:54   Link #1041
huynhlan

I hope season 6 cover at least to chapter 712 of the manga. The ending can be Goro tying the knot with a we know who.
huynhlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 22:11   Link #1042
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, I actually watched S1 the other day. After coming from series like Cross Game, Ookiku Furikabutte and the like, I almost felt like Major was the Slam Dunk of baseball or something. The early episodes had a nice drama element to it, but the drama believability kind of fell apart during the second half unfortunately. The games themselves weren't that spectacular, albeit there weren't that bad. Overall, I'm interested enough to watch the following seasons, however it's an interest on the guilty pleasure side I guess.

P.S: I'm half expecting for both of Goro's step fathers to die by a falling piano. Ala Nobody's Boy Remi (kudos to those who get the reference)
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 22:16   Link #1043
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Boy, I totally disagree here - I thought S1 was solidly constructed beginning to end. I loved the drama, though the game episodes were excellent (better than CG, to be honest) and I really enjoyed the entire cast of characters. Goro himself is one of the signature protagonists of modern manga, IMHO.

I like the following seasons, too - I'm still a fan after six of them - but S1 was the best for me (my fantasy football franchise is the "Mifune Dolphins", after all). By all means watch and make up your own mind.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 22:30   Link #1044
Proto

I didn't meant it in a derogative way when comparing it to Cross Game or Big Windup, but Major sure has that "Madness? THIS. IS. BASEBALL!!" element to it. Which is half blood pumping, half comedic for me. Something similar to Saki but I like the characterization in Saki more.

However I can't agree with the drama element though. but those are just personal opinions.
Old 2010-02-04, 22:58   Link #1045
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Major is a baseball series about the exceptional. OoFuri is a baseball series about the everyman. Cross Game is a human drama that happens to have baseball in it. I kind of look at them as a great triangle, each special in their own way. The drama in Major is certainly more dramatic, because the story revolves around the almost superhuman will and talent of it's very exceptional hero. It's a series that celebrates the exceptional in much the same way OoFuri celebrates the heroism of the ordinary. Major's kind of GAR style isn't going to be for everyone, but I think it's a superb example of its type.
Old 2010-02-06, 03:24   Link #1046
Proto

I started to watch the second season but I kind of lost interest after the fifth episode. From unrealistic developments in the early episodes, to a kinda manipulative drama, topped by the lack of respect shounen authors in general have towards their female characters which irks me to no end. (poor Shimizu, how have you been sidelined. And fanboy girl is no fun either). Maybe someday I'll come back to it after I'm no longer annoyed at how the series has turned out, for the time being I guess I just want to remember it for the excellent first episodes of the first season.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:43   Link #1047
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

While nothing in this series equals the taut, superbly paced first season, S2 does vastly improve after some rather serious problems with the first episodes. And there's lots more Shimizu to be heard from, believe me. But as I said, Major is obviously not going to suit everyone's tastes and there's certainly no shame in that. S1 doesn't match the subtle profundity of Cross Game of course - and it doesn't try to. But in terms of executing a plot and developing a character over a 26-series run, I think it's close to perfect. None of the sequels can claim that, but they each have their delights (and empowered female characters, especially Shimizu) to varying degrees.
Old 2010-04-04, 04:01   Link #1048
Hikari no Clover

just finished season 2
just look at how selfish Goro is !! ruin Sato's scholarship chance, invited Sato to attend Kaito but ended up leaving the school because of some stupid reason, sigh
Hikari no Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 13:25   Link #1049
Proto

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I had watched up to S5 just recently. After a major slump at the start of S2, the series kind of picked up and the second half was actually quite good I think. Kaidou people were likeable in the end and all. S3 felt like a repeat from many of the themes in S1, but I guess it wasn't that bad. It's kind of a bummer that the author had to overhaul to whole supporting cast after S4 but such is life, one cannot continually stay in the same place and time forever. Which kind of got solved in S5. Kind of. Overall, I guess I'm looking forward to S6, even if I still consider Major to be in the 3 stars and a half category for me.
Old 2010-04-04, 13:41   Link #1050
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

S1 = 4-star. Elite, great, superb. After that inconsistent - rarely less than good, but only occasionally great. I felt S5 was the best season overall since S1 - I really enjoyed the WBC storyline, especially with Gibson Sr. How ironic that Japan is undefeated in the WBC in real life, but can't win it in their own animated series!

And yes, I agree that Goro screwed Sato pretty good when it came to the Kaito thing. That was commented on here at the time, and wasn't one of Goro's finest moments.
Old 2010-04-06, 09:47   Link #1051
Hikari no Clover

s5 is best, top ppl vs top ppl from diff countries, and 56 is not fighting alone anymore, not to mention that epic ending. but s4 is kinda made me sleepy
Old 2010-04-07, 03:02   Link #1052
sangofe

Umai has released first episode of season 6
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 06:53   Link #1053
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Just watched the first episode of the new season.

Nothing too spectacular, kinda feels like it just picked up were S5 left off.

Heh, this series is definitely not friendly to any potential new viewers.

Still, looking forward to some more Major action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
S1 = 4-star. Elite, great, superb.
Haha, nothing is gonna top that life changing, defining moment... I still get teary whenever I see a pic of you know who (yea, the starting shot of the ending animation of S6 still gets me choked up...).

Quote:
I really enjoyed the WBC storyline, especially with Gibson Sr.
I think the overall rivalry with the whole Gibson clan was done really well. Just loved how the twice shattered bat endings were done... especially with the way the line "I've won!" was used (first with Jr. and then with Goro)

Quote:
How ironic that Japan is undefeated in the WBC in real life, but can't win it in their own animated series!
Everyone loves the underdog... and the bittersweet feeling of losing at the last moment, even though you tried your best... come on, that stuff is just pure gold when those guys dust themselves off, lift their heads, and finally smile looking at a new tomorrow!

Last edited by ac195; 2010-04-07 at 07:09.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 07:00   Link #1054
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

The thing about later seasons is how the shift to professional baseball leaves little to no more room for the same old 'underdog of underdogs' bravado that was all its entirety in S1-3. I mean, starting from S4 onwards, Goro's weakness as a pitcher is what pushed his story limelight to that of limited fights, controlled moments of at-bat, towards a closer rather than how he used to pitch full-games.

And with Japan being a legitimate powerhouse for baseball, this ain't no soccer where they can make Japanese look inferior to the Europeans or Brazilians.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 07:41   Link #1055
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I had watched up to S5 just recently. After a major slump at the start of S2, the series kind of picked up and the second half was actually quite good I think. Kaidou people were likeable in the end and all. S3 felt like a repeat from many of the themes in S1, but I guess it wasn't that bad. It's kind of a bummer that the author had to overhaul to whole supporting cast after S4 but such is life, one cannot continually stay in the same place and time forever. Which kind of got solved in S5. Kind of. Overall, I guess I'm looking forward to S6, even if I still consider Major to be in the 3 stars and a half category for me.
Did you watch the movie? It covers the in-between period after S1 and S2. It is quite good.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 09:28   Link #1056
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Move 'er on over to "Current"!
Old 2010-04-09, 20:58   Link #1057
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Nice to see Goro back as a starting pitcher - that always felt like his destiny. Presumably we'll also get a chance to him bat now, too. Generally speaking episode 1 was pretty much a linear continuation of S5 - Goro is still recovering from seeing his 103 MPH (take that, Kitamura Kou!) pounded for the tournament winning hit. But he'll still Goro - still a cocky SOB and that's why we love him...
Old 2010-04-10, 01:38   Link #1058
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Hmmmm. A very very cliche first episode even by Major's standards. I know the author wanted to play around with the newfound fame of Goro, though that was like... a double entendre of cliche.

Still nice to see the show back.. so soon. lol
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 21:21   Link #1059
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Man, although i think it's not as awesome as the original version, using the first opening theme again was a great idea. Very nostalgic.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 22:36   Link #1060
Hikari no Clover

i wonder how many ppl here actually play baseball

all my baseball knowledge came from anime&manga, and i have never played it before

Tags
baseball, shounen, sports