AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-11-05, 11:43   Link #1
nojay
Scanlator

Kanouchou

the town this series is set in is called Kanochou "かのうちょう" or in kanji "叶町". I went looking and found it on Google Earth at 34°41'45.02"N 135°11'37.64"E just to the east of Kobe (which is where I assume Shoko-kodomo took Karada-obasan to go shopping in the depato in episode 3).

It's one of those Japanese coastal towns that's sandwiched between the shoreline and steep hills a couple of kilometres inland. From what I can see the real Kanouchou seems a lot more urban and built-up than it appears in the series.

I last went Google-Earthing the location for an anime series for Kamichu! which was set in Onomichi, further up the coast to the north-east of Kanouchou. AFAIK Onomichi is never explicitly named in Kamichu! but it was easy to identify from the first episode when the locale was shown in a long pull-out shot up into space (fans of Kamichu! will know what I'm talking about).

Onomichi and Kanouchou share one thing in common -- they've both got cable cars running from the lowland area up into the hills nearby.

Last edited by nojay; 2006-11-17 at 19:41. Reason: Found the kanji name
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 16:44   Link #2
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

It definately looks a lot more built up in real life than in the anime. It's an average sized city from the looks of it.
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 16:50   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Ever since the first episode, i had a feeling that somehow this was based of a real location. It must have been the overall pace of the series that lead me to believe that.

Hmm, some images would be nice (i would look myself, though i know i'll probably end up failing on my search).
Old 2006-11-06, 00:22   Link #4
JediNight
キズランダム

Most animes nowadays that take place in a town/city are pulled from real locations. It's just far easier that way. Rather than having to invent locations and have them look fake or odd, you animate actual photographs from a town to give it a more authentic look.

Google "Stalking Suzumiya Haruhi" for more examples =D
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 09:58   Link #5
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Hmm, some images would be nice (i would look myself, though i know i'll probably end up failing on my search).
Well this is the exact latitude and longtitude from the original post:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/theowne/a1-1.jpg

Here's some pics from the surrounding area:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/theowne/a2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/theowne/a3.jpg

And here's Kobe, apparently:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/theowne/ak.jpg

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 10:02   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Anyone wanna point out Hiro's apartment? :3
Old 2006-11-13, 13:41   Link #7
martino
makes no files now

Does someone live near there? It'd be nice to see some real life pics of that area...and perhaps a wishing stone hunt
Old 2007-02-16, 15:14   Link #8
selwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
the town this series is set in is called Kanochou "かのうちょう" or in kanji "叶町". I went looking and found it on Google Earth at 34°41'45.02"N 135°11'37.64"E just to the east of Kobe (which is where I assume Shoko-kodomo took Karada-obasan to go shopping in the depato in episode 3).

It's one of those Japanese coastal towns that's sandwiched between the shoreline and steep hills a couple of kilometres inland. From what I can see the real Kanouchou seems a lot more urban and built-up than it appears in the series.
I was looking for the beach area, and the closest to Kobe seems to be at 34°38'30"N 135°06'47"E. What would make it more likely, is that one would need to change trains at Kobe to get there. On the other hand, it looks much more built up and if the bed & breakfast was in the cliff area to the west - then in real life it would be cut off from the sea by two rail lines and a highway.
selwood is offline   Reply With Quote