Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-06-04, 15:31   Link #33961
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i can't really decide which is more stupid, hiking in Iraq near the Iranian border or going to Afghanistan with pregnant wife as a tourist.
I'd have to say the latter.
Old 2014-06-04, 15:47   Link #33962
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
someone earlier made a post about people not being stuipd enough to go to afghan as tourist.
well....

you should never ever underestimate how stupid can be.

i can't really decide which is more stupid, hiking in Iraq near the Iranian border or going to Afghanistan with pregnant wife as a tourist.
Well, I was mistaken, some are really that stupid
I won't call either action Darwin Awards worthy ( especially as they are still alive) but it's still greatly irresponsible, almost moronic.
Old 2014-06-04, 15:56   Link #33963
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Well, I was mistaken, some are really that stupid
I won't call either action Darwin Awards worthy ( especially as they are still alive) but it's still greatly irresponsible, almost moronic.
and since half this duo is Canadian, you guys can't all blame this on clueless Americans either
Old 2014-06-04, 16:02   Link #33964
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
We both know it is easier to simply set up a law on ink and paper so they no longer need to be grilled ever again.

Officially the reason they decided to get him back, was because he needed medical attention or he would die. Until he is charged with desertion, there is no legal protection for letting someone drop dead. Note that he was not labelled a deserter until he got home, and thus had he died Pentagon would likely get grilled for allowing it to happen. Any attempt to explain "but the guy is a deserter!" would have fallen on deaf ears.

That's why I say they would create a law that would allow them to simply make it legal to abandon Americans; that was what was needed to NOT rescue him.
Err... it's not that simple. If Taliban's demand is to release all of their prisoners, does US really have the obligation to go that far just to rescue that one soldier ? If Pentagon got grilled, they don't even need to mention that he's a deserter for their defense. US only has the obligation to try to rescue him, but certainly not by all means necessary.

Not willing to comply with enemy's every demand =/= abandoning Americans.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2014-06-04 at 16:17.
Old 2014-06-04, 16:31   Link #33965
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
and since half this duo is Canadian, you guys can't all blame this on clueless Americans either
Far from me the idea to do so

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they though than they would be safe or than they would be welcome because one of them was Canadian. That could work in Europe but in Afghanistan, we are probably almost as hated as the American
Old 2014-06-04, 18:55   Link #33966
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

You guys know what? It's the plot of Rambo 2 all over again, minus the gunfight and explosion.
Old 2014-06-04, 19:35   Link #33967
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I have not even heard of those places being very nice tourist spots even without the wars. Did people go to those places for vacations in the early 1970s before all the conflicts?
Old 2014-06-04, 20:02   Link #33968
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I have not even heard of those places being very nice tourist spots even without the wars. Did people go to those places for vacations in the early 1970s before all the conflicts?
there were the Buddha Statues crave into that cliff before the Taliban destroy it.
Old 2014-06-04, 21:59   Link #33969
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
there were the Buddha Statues crave into that cliff before the Taliban destroy it.
That was mostly prior to the Russian invasion, and when Afghanistan was a surprisingly developed/stable nation.
Old 2014-06-04, 22:33   Link #33970
LeoXiao
思想工作

Ai Weiwei on (not) remembering the Tiananmen Massacre:

Quote:
If China has pulled off an economic miracle since 1989, this self-imposed amnesia is also a sort of Chinese miracle. The mindset will not change until Chinese themselves understand that the lack of accurate information about their own past injures their well-being just as much as the polluted air or corruption.
Old 2014-06-04, 23:35   Link #33971
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
I remember those being destroyed in 2001. Not much more than six months before the US invaded. I had a classmate that was Afghan who said that he'd hoped to go home after college since the Soviets had left and all, but after that happened, he figured he wouldn't ever be going home again.
Old 2014-06-05, 08:50   Link #33972
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That was mostly prior to the Russian invasion, and when Afghanistan was a surprisingly developed/stable nation.
Stable, maybe. "Developed?" Hardly. Afghanistan was one of the poorest nations in the world in the period before the Soviets invaded.
Old 2014-06-06, 23:35   Link #33973
JokerD

Harvard confirms antique book is bound in human skin

This... disturbs me..
Old 2014-06-07, 02:42   Link #33974
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Not only that, but it's apparently not unique in the guy's collection...
Old 2014-06-07, 03:31   Link #33975
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
You would be happy to hear that they were suppose to own three such books, but only one out of the three were genuinely made of human skin.

Really though, this isn't that morbid back then. Lovecraftian popular culture like to portray human skin binding as some kind of black magic, but in reality this was done just because they can, and that back then there wasn't anything freaky about it.
Old 2014-06-07, 03:38   Link #33976
aldw

Using human skin for book binding isn't really different from vellum, but using either isn't exactly cheap (which is why other methods were quickly adopted once available).
Old 2014-06-07, 05:23   Link #33977
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
'Star Trek' Fan Film Hits Warp Drive on Kickstarter:

"Set phasers to stunned: A Kickstarter campaign for a new "Star Trek" project has
already quintupled its original $10,000 goal to fund a fan film by veteran science
fiction actors.

The short fan film, called "Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar," takes place decades before
the famous exploits of Captain James T. Kirk and his Enterprise crew of "Star Trek"
lore and is scheduled to warp into release this May. As of Friday (March 28), the
Kickstarter project had raised $58,362, with three days left in the campaign.

What's more, its makers promise "Axanar" will foreshadow the most epic Trekkie fan
film ever: a full-length movie with a $250,000 budget that will focus on the Battle of
Axanar, which was won by Starfleet captain Garth of Izar about 21 years before the
original "Star Trek" series took place."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/star-trek-fan-...125056235.html

Update: Filming finished last month. A trailer was released to the donors today with a longer one probably going public in a week or so. Judging by the effects and acting in just the trailer, this is going to be very good. A very high standard from production.
Old 2014-06-07, 12:18   Link #33978
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I suspect Kickstarter is going to benefit massively from nostalgic adults.

I also recently heard about LeVar Burton's new Reading Rainbow push being tremendously successful on Kickstarter.
Old 2014-06-08, 08:58   Link #33979
Tiberium Wolf

Canada prisoners escape by helicopter from Quebec jail

I guess they didn't learn at all. Maybe we will still get a 3rd escape with helicopter in the near future.
Old 2014-06-08, 10:56   Link #33980
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Canada prisoners escape by helicopter from Quebec jail

I guess they didn't learn at all. Maybe we will still get a 3rd escape with helicopter in the near future.
Shouldn't there be watch towers with rifle armed guards to prevent this kind of thing form happening?
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international