2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.67%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-02, 13:28   Link #221
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
A thousand times yes. As this series progresses the plot holes really start to come out to play from insufficient world building and an inability to, well, count.

The vast majority of their population has been killed off (by their own hands, mostly). They established early on that people do not respect or care for the Survey Corps, even now that the titans have attacked. Actually there hasn't been a whole lot of focus on the feelings of the population now that they've actually started telling the story instead of building their world (as an excuse to kill people because ratings, it seems). I will defend the author a bit in saying that this isn't entirely uncommon. A lot of authors seem to struggle with being consistent about these 'minor' details. Where it diverts from being that situation is when everyone is dying constantly, and you're left with no alternative but to ask where all of these developing side characters they love to kill off come from.
Wait.

Where did the show ever say that the major of population were killed after Wall Maria? They lost significant portion yes, but nothing near that amount. There are still plenty of Maria's citizens integrated into Wall Rose even after the purge. Furthermore you really exaggerating here with the rate of death. Since Trost nobody important has died and the episodes prior to this arc were entirely focused on world buliding and development. Episode 21 marked most fairly significant number deaths since then, but that's hardly the entire Recon Corps let alone the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Its not a spoiler but it gives so much away. This series forshadows stuff sometimes but the forshadows can be so blatant it gives the plot away and it's best to not fully point em out to those who don't notice em. If you want I can inbox it to you.

Iron Maw normal titan can get tired also. Go rewatch a few eps intances of titans getting tired. The one chasing potato girl is a perfect example.

Actually its much more obvious what happened in the anime. I am a manga reader and I always thought Eren gassed in that fight hell my first posts were about him gassing till I re watched and noticed exactly what made him stop.
You're talking about the one in episode 17 right? I thought it just got stun/knocked out when it hit the tree. I think Hanji's experiments with Sonny and Bean are better example, however they were deprived of sunlight.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 13:36   Link #222
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateraldeath View Post
Probably cause of this troll the Arthur decided to do to us.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

He drew this just for fun, it's NOT story related, else please give me Angel Krista titan! Connie's titan... lol!
Mikasa would be yoked.

I want a Goddess Krista statue now.

Make it happen, kotobukiya!
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 13:37   Link #223
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

woah, my post was deleted, which meant I hit it right between the eyes..

if anybody doesn't know who the FT is by now, well, even without hints/spoilers from manga readers, based on what is shown up to ep21 we can know who it is.

well, I had the help of speculations I read here, and hindsight is, as they say, always 20/20.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 14:05   Link #224
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Gendo Ikari says that's a minor concern. See what they did with EVA-00 .
Yeah, and that is why I feel the way Recon corp handle Eren is way more realistic than how Nerv handle EVA.

The plan have 0.000000001% success rate ? Great, Let's go with it !!
Misato
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 15:44   Link #225
Destined_Fate

Another thing to note that there isn't only one class going through training, there's multiple classes. Like in our society where there are multiple platoons trained at different areas aka Boot Camp. Thus Eren's class wasn't the only class the Scout's got their recruits from, it was simply the only one featured.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 17:21   Link #226
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
I'm not sure if you're addressing me or someone else, but I was pointing out the troupe of the usual power of friendship that always brings out the convenient power up that you would usually see in a shounen series.

It's refreshing to see an author choosing not to fall into the norm since it's a seinen series.

As for looking for props; I'm not Naruto, I don't need acknowledgement.

Come off a little calmer next time, you're sounding a little disagreeable.

This is a happy place so let's keep this topic about the episode.
I was referring to the person who said Eren was beginning to say someone's name before he got eaten. Clearly he is just gasping/in awe and to say that he is trying to say someone name tells me you know more than the rest of us do and you are really, REALLY stretching it on the hints.

However, my sentiments also apply to you and anyone else who has read the manga and is coming on here to drop hints, even if they are in the context of the show. It is VERY easy to spot hints/foreshadows if you know what to look for. And I think you should just stick to the manga thread and let the people who CHOOSE not to read the manga enjoy the series on our own without any outside interference. It's definitely impossible to prove who exactly is doing it, but you know who you are and I want you to know that you are ******* lame for doing so.

Reading the manga doesn't make you special. Anyone can do it, especially in this day and age where information is easily accessed on the internet. Some of us for whatever reasons just choose not to.
Old 2013-09-02, 17:50   Link #227
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Edge View Post
I was referring to the person who said Eren was beginning to say someone's name before he got eaten. Clearly he is just gasping/in awe and to say that he is trying to say someone name tells me you know more than the rest of us do and you are really, REALLY stretching it on the hints.

However, my sentiments also apply to you and anyone else who has read the manga and is coming on here to drop hints, even if they are in the context of the show. It is VERY easy to spot hints/foreshadows if you know what to look for. And I think you should just stick to the manga thread and let the people who CHOOSE not to read the manga enjoy the series on our own without any outside interference. It's definitely impossible to prove who exactly is doing it, but you know who you are and I want you to know that you are ******* lame for doing so.

Reading the manga doesn't make you special. Anyone can do it, especially in this day and age where information is easily accessed on the internet. Some of us for whatever reasons just choose not to.
I agree 100% To the people who read the manga and are hinting things, you aren't clever, and we don't want it. Seriously, you're just spoiling it for people whether you want to admit it or not, so stop it. No one likes it.
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 19:22   Link #228
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Edge View Post

I see what you're saying.

For me, I'm not the type to hint on anything since I hate spoilers myself.

That's the reason I have no clue of what is happen in One Piece after Water 7. (I'm not joking here.)

I don't want to know. I'll catch in my own time and not by someone leaking it out to me.
I know how it feels to get that moment taken from you. It sucks.

Someone told me the ending to Gurren Lagann on a whim.
Spoiler for wish i was a titan:
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 19:31   Link #229
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

how many episodes is this series supposed to have? The reason I ask is because they dragged out the intro to this one for like 5 minutes, which gives off the impression they are dragging it out on purpose...I really want to know what's inside Eren's basement, but I don't see how they could resolve all the plot threads in 4 episodes (assuming this is a standard 25 ep series)
Old 2013-09-02, 20:33   Link #230
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hah, well I guess Eren and Mikasa are really the same. They should have the strength to survive this; not like the first time Eren was apparently gg'd

But it's unfortunate that this monstrous Titan has entirely changed the entire game around and overconfidence in what's right and which moves are the solid ones means that it'll take a lot more learning to do, and unfortunately as humans learn by trial and error, that means that there were losses to be bad.

Also, Mikasa is so beautiful when she's angry like that. Oh, what is with me?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 23:05   Link #231
Harangue
The Little Monster

Now that was a good episode. Good pacing, no padding, cut right through the crap and gave the viewers what they wanted right when they wanted it rather than teasing us with a fight the entire episode only to not show it until the next one.
Harangue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 23:09   Link #232
Harangue
The Little Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Oh God, I don't think I've ever laughed harder than I did when for no reason, they just showed some completely random deer grabbing a late afternoon snack in the middle of a giant's killing field, only bugging out (seemingly out of annoyance) when it almost got stepped on.

It was like the honey badger of deer. Levi would be like "Damn, deer, you're one cool customer! How would you like to wear a stylish green cape and defend the walls?"
If you recall in an earlier episode when they flashed back to one of the quizzing sessions Eren was in, they talk about how the Titans totally ignore any and all other forms of life besides the humans, and it shows a deer grazing as a Titan walks passed it only a few feet away. Having been more than a century, it only makes sense that the wildlife would be accustomed to the creatures by now. So long as it gives them enough of a berth to not get squashed the Titans pose no threat to the deer, they're basically no more than walking trees to the wildlife.
Harangue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 00:06   Link #233
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
The vast majority of their population has been killed off (by their own hands, mostly).
What time period are you talking about?
Because if you mean about the population loss after the first wall breach, the statement above is completely wrong.

1/5 is not "vast majority". It's a significant devastating amount, yes.
But "majority" is a word assigned to covering at least 50% of something. No exceptions.
That's what it means.
Old 2013-09-03, 00:28   Link #234
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What time period are you talking about?
Because if you mean about the population loss after the first wall breach, the statement above is completely wrong.

1/5 is not "vast majority". It's a significant devastating amount, yes.
But "majority" is a word assigned to covering at least 50% of something. No exceptions.
That's what it means.
Perhaps I misunderstood. I was under the impression that between the outer cities and the Wall Maria there was a loss of life hovering the 50% mark. Thinking back, that is something of an overstatement.

Regardless, they're still looking at a loss of life that is, honestly, probably closer to about 25% with the destruction of whatever town was destroyed on the second wall. And for the Survey Corps specifically, their number have been severely lowered.

Someone mentioned I was exaggerating about the number of important character deaths in recent episodes. Unlike the population thing, I'm not misspeaking here. Unlike most of you, I didn't start watching Shingeki no Kyojin until a few weeks back. That means that I blew through the first 18 or so episodes in two days. So unlike you lot, I didn't have to deal with that weekly wait. It may seem like it's been a long time since character were dying in the city to the titans, but that's only because you've been waiting for weekly episodes. Beyond that, part of the gap between the last character deaths was due to Eren being displaced and them pushing some disguised recap episodes. So yes, there has been a slight gap since the last bout of character dying, but only because they slowed the pace to do some storytelling and setup the real plot. The moment they stopped doing that and went back to action, what happened? All of the named characters started dying again.

And yes, the Survey Corps should be down a significant number. Despite your thoughts that there should have been a bunch of recruits from various parallel training groups over the years, we saw what can only be called the largest influx of recruits for the Survey Corps. Eren's group wasn't really that large either. Based on that recruitment, I'd wager the Survey Corps get maybe 5 recruits a session. Apparently they also lose up to a quarter of their forces in an engagement. Even if we generously say that Eren's group is a normal sizing, which it most certainly isn't, it still begs the question because of how many people they manage to lose outside the wall.

At any rate, I apologize for my misspeaking about the "vast majority" of population loss. That's 2 AM Traece talking crazy.
Old 2013-09-03, 00:39   Link #235
Destined_Fate

Well, I can't wait til the next episode. Mikasa went berserk in this one, I wanna see more of that! She's such a badass!
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 02:45   Link #236
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I do agree with you that the number of "elites" dying at the hands of the female Titan is devastating, although I also think there are still quite a few of them left - considering Mike and Erwin have their own sets of seasoned veterans.

Not to mention, the high scored soldiers that went to the Royal Guard are pretty much un-touched. Assuming they haven't completely lost their touch that is.
Old 2013-09-03, 09:01   Link #237
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
And yes, the Survey Corps should be down a significant number. Despite your thoughts that there should have been a bunch of recruits from various parallel training groups over the years, we saw what can only be called the largest influx of recruits for the Survey Corps. Eren's group wasn't really that large either. Based on that recruitment, I'd wager the Survey Corps get maybe 5 recruits a session.:
I don't think that's right.

I think they made a particular point of how *this* year the Survey Corps recruiting "pitch" was non-exsistant, and was specifically designed by Erwin to reduce the number of new unknown faces in order to make his plan of guarding against and possibly flushing out a traitor more effective.
Old 2013-09-03, 21:42   Link #238
JamJackEvo

I laughed way more than I should have... :/

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 03:29   Link #239
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
I'll take that hit.

It feels like one though.
This series is as close as you can get to being seinen without actually being seinen. No idea how or why this series is published in a shounen magazine, lol.
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 04:05   Link #240
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
This series is as close as you can get to being seinen without actually being seinen. No idea how or why this series is published in a shounen magazine, lol.
I think HunterXHunter is somewhat more seinen than this. Less named characters deaths (though Chimaera Ant featured some horrific numbers for civilian deaths), but lots of more mature psychological themes and ambiguity. Attack on Titan is still about killing giant, thoughtless man-eating monsters, so there's pretty much no moral dilemma there. Yet HXH is published on Jump. I get the feeling all you have to do to slip the crap through of the radar is to pretend you're going for shonen in the first two-three chapters, then start throwing the big blows .
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote