AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 280 64.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.46%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 431. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-12-27, 02:34   Link #301
Sabrac D'Sabre
Aishiteiru Hina ! ! !

Well, can't say much . . .
This is really the best anime I ever watch, though I'm not sure that everyone will agree, but still two thumbs for Nagisa and Tomoya. . . .
N their gangs too . . .
Can't forget the foolishness of Youhei and Kyou, and also the slowness of Kotomi and Ryou, N still I want to watch Tomoyo act more girly, since I really like her . . .

Anyway, 10/10 . . . Sooo Omedeteou for CLANNAD TEAM . . .
Sabrac D'Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 05:02   Link #302
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post
That's true, I guess I was generalizing a bit; every universe Tomoya "creates" for every light orb he collects sticks around, including the one where he, Nagisa, and Ushio all die. I'm just saying I don't like that kind of thing in general, and since we see everyone alive at the end (in the "good" universe), there is a bit of that feeling.

I usually don't really dwell on "things I would've done differently," since it's all opinion, anyway (I did give Clannad a 9/10). I was just trying to point out why some people weren't entirely satisfied with the ending. Anyway, whether or not I agreed with the ending, like I said earlier in my review, I couldn't help but have a big stupid grin on my face as I watched the last episode. Tomoya did earn his happy ending.
It's a Reset Button Ending. And no matter how well done it may be, it's an ending that will always be controversal.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 12:04   Link #303
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreater1 View Post
I guess both of you had missed a lot of discussion about the ending.
But anyway, to clarify things, there's a lot more to the ending that you think is Deus ex Machina. (it's not actually Deus ex Machina, you just misinterpreted the ending because you didn't piece together the puzzle, a very very hard puzzle)
Even assuming that is the case, does that change the fact that the entire 'family' theme, arguably the most important theme, has been trivialized by the ending?

Seriously now, 'family' is based reality; the two goes hand in hand because if the story is not realistic, or at least has parallels that can applied to the real world, the theme of family fails because you cannot relate to it anymore through your own or what you see of other people's family experiences.

Family being rooted in reality is the reason that we can relate to Fuuko (despite being a 'ghost') wanting her sister to have her own happiness besides her. Its the reason why we can relate to Kotomi through remembrance of dead loved ones. It's the reason why we can relate to Mei because of gratitude towards what family members has done for us in the past. It's the reason why we can relate to Yukine, because we don't want to see destroyed what our lost loved ones have painstakingly and lovingly created. It's the reason why we can relate to Tomoya's Dad, because with family comes sacrifices.

It's the reason why most of all, we can relate with Tomoya, because with his story tells us that an ideal family does not dwell on the bad things that happened in the past, but what is happening now and what you can do better in the future.

And with episode 22, the message changed into something like "Even when the going gets tough, even when you have fallen in the deepest depths of despair, it's ok because things are happier in another alternate universe". Or "Don't worry if everything is going bad in your life, because some otherworldly being is going to help you make things right". And I can only go at this; just like the haremy part of the first season was so out of place within the overall context of family, so is this because it has no real bearing or relationship with the theme of family.

Come to think of it, what makes Tomoya so special that he gets to have his happy ending? How about Yukine's brother still being dead? Or Kotomi's parents? Or Fuuko still losing that much time to her coma? Or Tomoya's dad still losing everything? I mean, Tomoya has lead a very shitty life. But so what? He's not the only one to have in the story proper. Everyone has had to live with a big source of sadness/trouble in the story and still live on despite of it; I don't logically see why Tomoya should be exempt from this.

The more I think about the ending, the more my brain begins to dislike it even more, despite my heart liking it just because Ushio didn't die. So yeah, I think I should really stop thinking more about the ending, lest I really knock Clannad down a letter grade into the B's... and all that talk about 'otherworld' stuff in the ending thread is making it this close --> <-- into doing so.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 15:57   Link #304
dgreater1
Misuzu & Kotomi Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
Even assuming that is the case, does that change the fact that the entire 'family' theme, arguably the most important theme, has been trivialized by the ending?
If you think the ending has been trivialized by pulling a mixture of supernatural quantum thingy, then sure, I won't argue with you about that because we'll only be arguing personal opinions.

Quote:
And with episode 22, the message changed into something like "Even when the going gets tough, even when you have fallen in the deepest depths of despair, it's ok because things are happier in another alternate universe". Or "Don't worry if everything is going bad in your life, because some otherworldly being is going to help you make things right". And I can only go at this; just like the haremy part of the first season was so out of place within the overall context of family, so is this because it has no real bearing or relationship with the theme of family.
This as well, is your opinion about what you learn in the end. But as I said, it's your own interpretation and I have my own about it. I see Episode 16-21 and Episode 22 as completely separate universe. "Why should I be happy for my other self in the other universe while I'm suffering here anyway?" then the other way around "I feel sorry for my other self suffering in that universe but who cares, it's not like I really know him" that's my counter thought to your idea if you think the ending message is implying what you just wrote. But anyway, the message for me is "Even when the going gets tough, even when you have fallen in the deepest depths of despair, don't lose hope because you'll never know what will happen next" well, until you die? You might not know or you might know what will happen next even if you die, who knows? Our perception about the universe is a big mystery.

Quote:
Come to think of it, what makes Tomoya so special that he gets to have his happy ending? How about Yukine's brother still being dead? Or Kotomi's parents? Or Fuuko still losing that much time to her coma? Or Tomoya's dad still losing everything? I mean, Tomoya has lead a very shitty life. But so what? He's not the only one to have in the story proper. Everyone has had to live with a big source of sadness/trouble in the story and still live on despite of it; I don't logically see why Tomoya should be exempt from this.
Because CLANNAD is his and Nagisa and their legacies' story. See my point? We see things differently. Just because KEY didn't give you a happy story about the other characters means it doesn't exist. Also, Tomoya isn't exempted from all suffering. And I do think that the other cast are contented with how their lives are going around.

Quote:
The more I think about the ending, the more my brain begins to dislike it even more, despite my heart liking it just because Ushio didn't die. So yeah, I think I should really stop thinking more about the ending, lest I really knock Clannad down a letter grade into the B's... and all that talk about 'otherworld' stuff in the ending thread is making it this close --> <-- into doing so.
I don't really care what you feel about the ending but I wanna know what you think about it. Most of KEY's ending are always open for wide discussions and opinions and I'm sure you know that already.

Forgot to add, you can't deny that Ushio also is dead.

Last edited by dgreater1; 2009-12-28 at 10:15.
dgreater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 08:22   Link #305
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

SPOILER tag it! now!
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 10:26   Link #306
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This is the overall series thread so i think it's okay.
Old 2009-12-31, 19:56   Link #307
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, I don't know. The ending is vague enough for people to think that episode 17-21 was a delusion. Of course, it would have been a rather detailed one. And it wasn't really confirmed until the recap episode which probably nobody watched to confirm he retained memories of the other world. The resolution was indeed really trippy and it probaly could have been done better. Of course, naturally this would be very hard to adapt. It's that just for me, personally, the series gave me enough suspension of disbelief to do it. Honestly, it'd be better if 24 was more than a clip show. Sure it's not as jarring as Air's recap episode (Seriously wtf with that?) but still.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-12-31 at 21:11.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 16:20   Link #308
asianberry

I would give Clannad (mostly After Story) a 9/10. It's an excellent anime, being so incredibly beautiful both visually and emotionally. It's among my favorite animes. Absolutely spectacular.

The reason why it wouldn't receive a 10/10 from me is because of a minor imperfections and a disappointing ending which seems to completely disreguard the preceeding episodes with Ushio that turned out to be some of the most emotional episodes of the series. An anime would have to be perfect in order for me to justify giving something a perfect score.
asianberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-06, 08:19   Link #309
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

The only reason it disregarded it was because the source material did.

And the reason the source material did, I believe was for commercial sales.

Go figure.
Old 2010-01-06, 09:36   Link #310
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
The only reason it disregarded it was because the source material did.

And the reason the source material did, I believe was for commercial sales.
I think the idea that Tomoya had to go back in time and play all the routes to get the final ending was really more to increase the longevity of the game. So Yeah...
Old 2010-01-08, 02:34   Link #311
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Well that's the replayability part, BUT he worked it into the story as well.

That was clever.
Old 2010-01-08, 09:08   Link #312
Deku guy
Dead soul

I personally loved the series. <3
I'll give it a 10/10.

The ending seemed really sad ( i cried) but if it weren't for the miracle(?) i would have to make a sucking paint ending :P
Deku guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 19:46   Link #313
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think the idea that Tomoya had to go back in time and play all the routes to get the final ending was really more to increase the longevity of the game. So Yeah...
Err no go play the game then you can argue.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 21:44   Link #314
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just finished my Clannad: After Story blog review.

This one's a bit more in-depth than my review of Clannad's original season, and maybe a bit more controversial, just to prepare people, lol.

It also contains comparisons between Clannad: After Story and the Gurren Lagann and Mai HiME animes... comparisons that are a bit spoilerrific.

Still, I hope that most folks here enjoy it.

Here it is!
Oh yea, when I first read your review, I found something hillarous, but I forgot what it was.

Here it was, about Kotomi:

Quote:
Aaawwww... isn't she so tall and voluptuous, yet so huggably moe?
I guess that is true! Most anime females tend to have very slender frames; they are often ridiclously thin (and let's not even talk about boobs and possible back issues a lot of anime characters suffer from). This has always annoyed me since... when i first started watching anime. I suppose Kotomi being a bit more chubby but still attractive makes her a bit different. Not that it's a bad thing.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-01-11 at 21:56.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 16:30   Link #315
kitten320

At the moment I saw only season 1 so I won't vote yet...

But my rating for 1st season is 9... would be 10 but somehow after Kotomi's arc and slight Tomoyo's arc it became boring for me... I'm not big Nagisa's fan so that might be the reason, sorry. I atually wanted to smack her many times there, especially on stage. Good thing her father came just in time to make things better.

I would originally put 8 after finishing series but remembering how good were Fuko's and Kotomi's arcs as well how epic were Tomoyo's kick in the begining, I decided to go for 9

I miss Tomoyo's kicks and Kotomi's cluelesness and inoccence as well as her interection with Kyou (and also her epic violin playing!). Hope there is more of it in season 2.
Old 2010-01-14, 04:23   Link #316
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Err no go play the game then you can argue.
I'm not arguing...

I was agreeing with what Khu was saying. Whether or not it works well story-wise is another thing.
Old 2010-01-14, 04:31   Link #317
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I just watched both series in roughly a week, and it's been one the best animes I've ever watched easily in my favorite 5 I loved so much about the show rating wise I'd say like this:
Animation Quality: 10 - Never once disappointed me with character design, scene, or otherwise in animation.
Voice Actors: 10 - All of them did amazing job for their characters each of them sounded very fitting, and different from each other.
Script: 9 - The storyline was very good, though for few personally prefers I am giving it a 9 instead of 10
Spoiler for Reasons - don't click unless finished after story:

Characters/Emotional Attachment: 20 - Yes I am rating it a 20 out of 10 for this area bite me, reasons being in a spoiler don't click unless you've seen everything after story, and OVAs
Spoiler for Emotional Stuff:

Music: 9.5 - I really liked all the background music for it, very fitting most of the time, and the 2 OP I loved, and only reason it's not 10 is cause while first ED was ok I can't say I really liked it, much-less the second one.
Overall: 10
MAL

Last edited by Kotohono; 2010-01-15 at 13:55. Reason: Fixed for tomoyo, and tomoya confusion D:.
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 02:11   Link #318
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm not arguing...

I was agreeing with what Khu was saying. Whether or not it works well story-wise is another thing.
Sorry misunderstood -_-" sorry bout that *is used to people complaining about the end *
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 03:29   Link #319
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Snippity
Dude uh, you have the names wrong.

Tomoya = Dude = protagonist
Tomoyo = badass girl
Old 2010-01-15, 04:04   Link #320
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ You know for a long while even after watching season 2 I'd kept spelling Tomoya as Tomoyo, which made things extraordinarily difficult to find pictures of Tomoya and Ushio together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
Sorry misunderstood -_-" sorry bout that *is used to people complaining about the end *
No worries.