AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 05:40   Link #2221
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
is there any reason why they changed the Bentenmaru's design into some oldschool 1960's & 70's retro sci-fi rocket-thing? thought i think the animated version is more distinctive & iconic looking, the novel version looks like something out of Babylon 5
- Because Sasamoto said to the anime production team that they can do whatever they want
- According to Naohiro-shi, it was hard to draw Bentenmaru because the details are scanty (more like scattered around the novels IMO).

And more from Matsomoto Noriyuki, Chimaera of Skylla. It is Müller's ship, as seen behind her on novel vol 6 cover.
Spoiler for Chimaera of Skylla キミーラ・オブ・スキュラ:
Old 2012-05-04, 07:37   Link #2222
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
is there any reason why they changed the Bentenmaru's design into some oldschool 1960's & 70's retro sci-fi rocket-thing? thought i think the animated version is more distinctive & iconic looking, the novel version looks like something out of Babylon 5
Anime Bentenmaru's design seems to follows Star Trek's style warp/FTL nacelles and large forward deflector/shield/subspace emitters.

Spoiler for ..:

Last edited by encia; 2012-05-04 at 08:10.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 08:31   Link #2223
justpassingby

Back in February I think, someone commented on twitter (#mo_retsu) about Bentenmaru looks like the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar series. Maybe because of the upper cylinder part

IMO, the impression I got from the novels is that the ships during Hakuchou-Gou (Odette II, 200 years ago) are "Ships", and during the Bentenmaru era (120 years ago) the ships are "Submarines", while the latest generation of ships like Chimaera of Skylla (20 years ago) are "Stealth Aircrafts". Of course, the Silent Whisper is a Reconnaissance Craft which utilizes the miniaturization of FTL engines.

Edit: On not-so related notes, Mikako-shi is voicing Ittousai in Sengoku Collection. I think that how Marika will sound if she's a blood-thirsty pirate . I'll probably follow the anime if she's a recurring character.

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-05-04 at 17:04.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:45   Link #2224
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Watched the first 6 episodes. Damn, the setting is well thought out.

- Colonies surrender to superior space fleet.
- conditions of peace treaty lets them keep their military strength and all units when the treaty was signed. Empire didn't take into account pirate ships and worded treaty vaguely.
- Empire rolls its eyes and lets the pirate ships slide since they are "privateers.'
- in order to maintain max number of ships, they exploit a loophole in their privateer law for generations
- pirates are sort of "government special forces" that make money on the side entertaining tourists in their sector of space. Government needs them to maintain the "pirate facade" so the government can use them for official business and keep a max number of combat space ships.
Welcome Aboard mechalord!

I'm sure you'll find this series as entertaining as the rest with it's heavy sci-fi elements I know that there will be some parts where it feels like it's dragging but stick with it.
Old 2012-05-04, 10:46   Link #2225
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Anime Bentenmaru's design seems to follows Star Trek's style warp/FTL nacelles and large forward deflector/shield/subspace emitters.

Spoiler for ..:
So you are effectively saying, the directors dropped the cool-ass USS Defiant-like design, for the dinky Constitution? Damn Shatner!!
Old 2012-05-04, 12:12   Link #2226
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hard to deny the classics.
Old 2012-05-04, 12:15   Link #2227
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Mini-skirts in space wouldn't be out of place in Star Trek.
"Wouldn't be out of place?" Lieutenant Uhura was a mini-skirted space pirate 40 years ago, at least for that one episode where they went to the mirror-universe.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:14   Link #2228
Kyuu
=^^=

Captain Marika: "Helmsman. Set course for the Space University. Warp 6."

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:21   Link #2229
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

San Dai Me: Alpha and Beta are at its limits, I'm sorry captain, but I'm an engineer, not a magician.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:24   Link #2230
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Back in February I think, someone commented on twitter (#mo_retsu) about Bentenmaru looks like the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar series. Maybe because of the upper cylinder part
They're on the right track, but I think the DC-10 would be a better match, but only because the upper engine is completely out of the fuselage whereas with the L-1011, the intake is above the fuselage, but the exhaust is inside the fuselage.

1st Officer Chiaki: Scanning for yuri now, Captain!

Endless "Technicalities" Soul
Old 2012-05-04, 14:32   Link #2231
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Watched the first 6 episodes. Damn, the setting is well thought out.

- Colonies surrender to superior space fleet.
- conditions of peace treaty lets them keep their military strength and all units when the treaty was signed. Empire didn't take into account pirate ships and worded treaty vaguely.
- Empire rolls its eyes and lets the pirate ships slide since they are "privateers.'
- in order to maintain max number of ships, they exploit a loophole in their privateer law for generations
- pirates are sort of "government special forces" that make money on the side entertaining tourists in their sector of space. Government needs them to maintain the "pirate facade" so the government can use them for official business and keep a max number of combat space ships.
Glad to see somebody else is picking up this show, it's never too late to join.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:14   Link #2232
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

And so I finally watched Episode 17, and that was an amazing episode. That Big Damn Kiss between Jenny and Lynn. Oh yeah, my yuri goggles went off the scale. Chiaki obviously was annoyed that she hadn't gotten the chance to do that with Marika, and so she turned away. Gruelle and Grunhilde's reactions were priceless.

So Jenny's company, Fairy Jane, is one of the fastest growing ones, eh? Show is definately right. In 10 years or even five years, Marika & Jenny are both going to be scary. I wouldn't be surprised if Fairy Jane wound up one of the Bentenmaru's biggest clients. The thought of Fairy Jane badass CEO Jenny Dolittle and future Space Admiral Marika Katou joining forces would put make many awestruck.

So I am thrilled that Jenny and Lynn are a canon lesbian couple, and I really hope that Chiaki gets her woman before the end of this series. Episode 18 looks like its gonna be very interesting, and I hope that once the anime original stories start, Jenny somehow gets to do things with Marika around Space University, like go to the Space University Beach. (I don't know if they have a beach around there, but I demand to see Jenny in a swimsuit.)
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:21   Link #2233
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
"Wouldn't be out of place?" Lieutenant Uhura was a mini-skirted space pirate 40 years ago, at least for that one episode where they went to the mirror-universe.
JJ Adams' StarTrek 2009 also has mini-skirts uniforms.

Quote:

Perhaps, Space University for Marika in Mouretsu Pirates season 2 ...
Old 2012-05-04, 17:31   Link #2234
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
JJ Adams' StarTrek 2009 also has mini-skirts uniforms.
Oh yes, just like in the original. Perhaps I should have clarified that Uhura was in a miniskirt all the time, but she was only a miniskirt pirate when she went to the mirror universe.

I also remember the episode of Deep Space Nine when they inserted themselves into the original "Trouble With Tribbles" episode, and Sisko's reaction when he saw Dax in the old Trek miniskirt.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:24   Link #2235
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Perhaps, Space University for Marika in Mouretsu Pirates season 2 ...
Wait... Wait. Hold on. Let me catch my breath after I faint.

Needs moar spin-offs!!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:29   Link #2236
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:

My reaction when reading this is another show. Nyarko-san. Sticking "space" in front of anything automatically makes it legit. Space CQC, Space Kindergarten... they probably do have a Space University. The shows exist in different enough universes (and galaxies) that such a crossover wouldn't make much sense...

But that's why I want to make it happen.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:32   Link #2237
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Oh yes, just like in the original. Perhaps I should have clarified that Uhura was in a miniskirt all the time, but she was only a miniskirt pirate when she went to the mirror universe.

I also remember the episode of Deep Space Nine when they inserted themselves into the original "Trouble With Tribbles" episode, and Sisko's reaction when he saw Dax in the old Trek miniskirt.
Are we all forgetting the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation? They had *guys* walking around in skirts. Marika is slightly overdressed for the ST:TNG universe, haha.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 21:04   Link #2238
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Are we all forgetting the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation? They had *guys* walking around in skirts. Marika is slightly overdressed for the ST:TNG universe, haha.
He might be from Scotland....
Old 2012-05-05, 01:11   Link #2239
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
San Dai Me: Alpha and Beta are at its limits, I'm sorry captain, but I'm an engineer, not a magician.
In before some ship from the 25th century tumbles through a temporal anomaly at Warp 13:

Spoiler for HUGE:

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-05 at 20:04. Reason: Please use thumbnails where available...
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 08:12   Link #2240
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Marika is slightly overdressed for the ST:TNG universe, haha.
Are you expecting then for Marika to bare her virile chest while fighting to death with some alien monster like James T. Kirk liked to do so often
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri